Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:05:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blowing up today on Reddit - go upvote!!  (Read 5467 times)
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 09:18:10 PM

Go upvote and help address comments!!! Big day over there...

http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/14nwsx/what_is_bitcoin/
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2012, 09:29:30 PM

Man I love reading threads like that...so many people still don't get it.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 11:01:20 PM

I can sooo feel it, we're just on the cusp of really blowing up. All it takes is a few more nudges in the form of a service that educates and a service that makes it easy to keep bitcoins safe like the hardware wallets being developed and it's going to explode.

I have never felt more optimistic about the future in my life than I do right now.  Grin

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 11:05:11 PM

I'm not a fan of reddit, but the bit I read there confirms that mining should no longer be the first, second, or even eighth thing discussed when introducing people to Bitcoin.  It either generates confusion or plants false hope in people. At this point, the vast majority of people who will be introduced to BTC will NOT become successful miners.  These people will hear "mine your own btc with your graphics card!" and then get emotional whiplash when they realize they'll only be getting .01 BTC a day if they run they computer 24/7. Now, of course, some people may go on to setup sweet rigs or buy ASCI, but they will be the minority.

More focus on exchanging goods/services to generate BTC, less on mining.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 11:13:17 PM

I'm not a fan of reddit, but the bit I read there confirms that mining should no longer be the first, second, or even eighth thing discussed when introducing people to Bitcoin.

I disagree, but instead of "Mining" it should be called "Mining i.e. transaction validation / bitcoin issuance" which I strongly think would take away almost all of the confusion.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 11:28:58 PM

wow, just saw that bitcointip bot. That's awesome.

Unfotunately it doesn't answer my messages ;(

Could it be down or am I doing something wrong?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
2_Thumbs_Up

Activity: 323
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 11:29:52 PM

I'm not a fan of reddit, but the bit I read there confirms that mining should no longer be the first, second, or even eighth thing discussed when introducing people to Bitcoin.

I disagree, but instead of "Mining" it should be called "Mining i.e. transaction validation / bitcoin issuance" which I strongly think would take away almost all of the confusion.
I think it's far better to simply focus on the P2P-part. Illustrate a bitcoin, how a friend creates an adress on his computer and how you hit send. It's really that easy for the end-user. If mining is mentioned it should only be in by-pass as "the transaction is validated by a computer network spread around the world".

I've seen a lot of bitcoin adoption first hand (on a drug forum), and no one ever seem to ask about mining. They ask about buying bitcoins, and occasionally on how to send them. Here is the link: https://www.flashback.org/t1697563 (it's in swedish but I guess you can use google translate to understand it if you are interested in how adoption actually seem to work for real users, no one cares about mining because it doesn't concern them)
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2012, 11:29:58 PM

I can sooo feel it, we're just on the cusp of really blowing up.

Why are there not more bitcoin tips in that thread? Start sending people bitcoins and see how fast it starts blowing up. You know the old saying, "Nothing motivates people like a check!"

Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 11:32:25 PM

go here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/bitcointip/comments/13iykn/bitcointipdocumentation/
2_Thumbs_Up

Activity: 323
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 11:35:04 PM

I can sooo feel it, we're just on the cusp of really blowing up.

Why are there not more bitcoin tips in that thread? Start sending people bitcoins and see how fast it starts blowing up. You know the old saying, "Nothing motivates people like a check!"
The next someone asks a question like this, there should be a race to tip him. It will be a small cost for every individual tipper, but if a bunch of people do it, the person could get a few dollars and really see the potential.

And it would also motivate jealous people to start a new thread in a few days.  Grin
mccorvic

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 11:36:48 PM

There is no way that is less confusing Tongue

Let me throw in a random example:

[–]Zcypot 1 point 2 hours ago
I did this for 2 days, stopped. My 6990 is too damn LOUD lol. The heat coming from that thing is enormous!

He thinks bitcoin = mining and if you aren't mining then you can't participate in bitcoin. It's possible he meant to reply to someone else, but ehhhhh....

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 11:38:13 PM

I've always said the following... never talk about bitcoin mining. Period.

When I tell people why gold is good money, I never discuss how gold mining is done.

If, during the conversation, the person asks "but where do new coins come from", answer like this...

"New coins are created by the network and given to those who contribute to the auditing/transaction verification process."  

It would be good if the creators of the WeUseCoins video would update it, and remove mining entirely. It was probably good to introduce bitcoin to people via mining back in the day, but we are beyond that point now.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 11:38:17 PM

wow this is like the biggest reddit bitcoin thread ever. 1100+ comments, 700+ upvotes

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 11:43:18 PM

I've been spamming replies on it all day (good legitimate replies, that is).  Hopefully discarding some of the myths people have about bitcoin.

I completely agree with Erik - never talk about mining.  It is pointless these days.  Point out the merits of Bitcoin as a transaction system.  "You can send money to anyone anywhere in the world, instantly and for free, and there is no government or bank acting as a middleman."  When you make simple statements like that that people can relate to, they begin to understand why Bitcoin is such a revolutionary idea.
mccorvic

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 11:43:47 PM

When I tell people why gold is good money, I never discuss how gold mining is done.

If, during the conversation, the person asks "but where do new coins come from", answer like this...

"New coins are created by the network and given to those who contribute to the auditing/transaction verification process."  

It would be good if the creators of the WeUseCoins video would update it, and remove mining entirely. It was probably good to introduce bitcoin to people via mining back in the day, but we are beyond that point now.

Exactly.  I'm all for explaining mining if they ask, but only in the most generic terms at first. If they are interested enough and tech savvy enough, they'll be able to research that on their own in-depth and probably come out with even more interest in BTC than just hearing me blabber at them.

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2012, 11:46:32 PM

This is excellent! Good job on commenting over there.

My view on the mining topic is that it should be dismissed fast. What I usually say is that it's required for the upkeep of the network, it's mostly for nerds and that it's the most competitive market in the world. Then I start talking about buying bitcoins, setting up Bitcoin donation addresses, selling stuff for bitcoins etc.

Mining is no longer something anyone can do profitably. It's a losing game unless you really put effort into it. I'm constantly frustrated why people are so interested in mining, probably because they think it's "free money". It will change in time.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 11:48:53 PM

I've been spamming replies on it all day (good legitimate replies, that is).  Hopefully discarding some of the myths people have about bitcoin.

I completely agree with Erik - never talk about mining.  It is pointless these days.  Point out the merits of Bitcoin as a transaction system.  "You can send money to anyone anywhere in the world, instantly and for free, and there is no government or bank acting as a middleman."  When you make simple statements like that that people can relate to, they begin to understand why Bitcoin is such a revolutionary idea.

I agree, mining these days are reserved for highly motivated individual that is knowledgeable in hardware and software. Certainly not for someone just starting out anymore.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 12:07:06 AM

go here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/bitcointip/comments/13iykn/bitcointipdocumentation/

thanks. It was just very slow it seems. Got my replies with account info now.

I think this is such an awesome way to introduce people to their first bitcoins.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Wintermute

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 12:14:06 AM

Fully agree. When I introduce people to Bitcoin I completely avoid the mining topic (it is not relevant for beginners).

I hope that the WeUseCoins video will be updated. The video is the best introduction into Bitcoin I am aware of, but the mining part is confusing.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 12:16:50 AM

I've been spamming replies on it all day (good legitimate replies, that is).  Hopefully discarding some of the myths people have about bitcoin.

I completely agree with Erik - never talk about mining.  It is pointless these days.  Point out the merits of Bitcoin as a transaction system.  "You can send money to anyone anywhere in the world, instantly and for free, and there is no government or bank acting as a middleman."  When you make simple statements like that that people can relate to, they begin to understand why Bitcoin is such a revolutionary idea.

I agree, mining these days are reserved for highly motivated individual that is knowledgeable in hardware and software. Certainly not for someone just starting out anymore.

I agree with evorhees, sgtspike and technomage that we should not talk about mining unless asked about it.

However I don't think one needs to be highly motivated or knowledgeable in order to be able to mine sucessfully. That's just not true: just order some hardware and off you go, no soldering required. Thing is: the risk of not making a profit is very high nowadays. It's not something the average joe should be recommended to just jump in for the sake of his financial health. That has the potential to turn him away from bitcoin. I think, however that mining should be encouraged to be as distributed as possible in the long run for the sake of avoiding monopolies and/or cartels, but this is a less important issue than making bitcoin accessible to newbs.

Mining is not "reserved" for anyone Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: