Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:41:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Liberty Dollars ban goes into effect at eBay  (Read 5908 times)
Rudd-O

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 07:58:09 AM

He was also convicted of violating 18 USC § 486 - Uttering coins of gold, silver or other metal:

Whoever ... makes ... any coins of gold or silver or other metal, ... intended for use as current money, whether in the resemblance of coins of the United States or of foreign countries, or of original design, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

This could definitely be applied to Casascius coins. The prosecutor just has to convince the jury that they are intended to be used as currency.

I am somehow confused here. WTF does "intended for use as current money" mean? If me and my neighbor decide tomorrow to use between us round pieces of metal as money, are we facing jail?  

As long as you live in Soviet America the answer to this and any other question regarding you going to jail is yes. Yes, you can go to jail at any time for any reason. Because you are not free people over there, you're already in jail. Simply moving cell blocks is a purely administrative matter, and it is for this reason right that it should be handled by the administration.

The politicians will be ready to foist off another fiat POS currency that will "save the economy", and we'll get screwed in the never ending cycle of bankster control.

The story of never ending "ok guise this time fo real" overlapping but worthless currencies in Latin America and other backwards places would pretty much support this theory. After the collapse of the current dollar there will be the "Unity", then the Chicago Dollar, Californian Cali and Boston SHRIMP, then some scheme for a new "Federal", then bla bla bla. All of them losing 10-90% each year.

Mircea essentially said everything I wanted to say here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BR0KK

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 10:37:03 AM

I seriously think of buying a set of these coins.... Does one know how to get them in Germany?

bitcoinbear

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 06:55:23 PM

I seriously think of buying a set of these coins.... Does one know how to get them in Germany?

Put up a "want to buy" ad in the marketplace subforum?

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 08:44:10 PM

I have a decent collection, PM me, or see my post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=58518.0
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2012, 05:18:00 PM

Even Forbes thinks its bullshit.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2012/12/15/u-s-secret-service-bans-certain-gold-and-silver-coins-on-ebay/
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2013, 07:20:24 AM

Just wanted to repost and say this has made more collectors come out of the woodwork for me on Bitcoin talk. I guess people want what you tell them they can't have.
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 08:00:14 AM

Spent Casascius coins are traded with empty wallets, but that hardly make them a currency or means of payment, they are more a collectible.

Un spent casascius coins with an intact hologram is different. However Bitcoin itself has to be ruled a currency or a mean of payment before Casascius coins become illegal.

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2013, 09:35:55 AM

Spent Casascius coins are traded with empty wallets, but that hardly make them a currency or means of payment, they are more a collectible.

Un spent casascius coins with an intact hologram is different. However Bitcoin itself has to be ruled a currency or a mean of payment before Casascius coins become illegal.

If you read thru this case it is really not about what is and what isn't legal currency. The man challenged the powers that be and they blinked. When the government wants you they will have you. BVNH was railroaded and the customers of NORFED were robbed, not by its creator, but by the federal government that seized about $7 million in gold, silver, and platinum. Even outbound orders still intransit were redirected back to HQ for seizure. They even tried to seize the minting machines but they found they couldn't because the same mint makes the blanks for the US treasury   -_-   Idiots trying to rob their own supply chain. In the end this was all about grooming a jury and applying force under color of law. the unilateral ban on ebay sales is just more proof of this. If NORFED rounds are really legally classified as contraband why are they still on amazon? All they were doing was selectively targeting the most successful centralized NORFED trade market.
K.A.T

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 10:13:13 AM

creativex
+1

To the point.
Luno

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 10:42:19 AM

Techshare, I completely agree with your response, that any rival currency at some point becomes a target for regulation. The heat will focus on Bitcoin however, as there is no need to flex the government muscle twice when the end goal is destruction or hampering of Bitcoin.

Even if casacius coin is physical coin that is literally in conflict with the law, it will be a waste of government money to ban it as it's value in bitcoin is intact.

it's like designer drugs where the chemists change a few bonds to make a new drug that isn't yet outlawed. If Casacius coins were outlawed, a casacius note or figurine could be traded legally the following day.
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2013, 12:24:52 PM

Techshare, I completely agree with your response, that any rival currency at some point becomes a target for regulation. The heat will focus on Bitcoin however, as there is no need to flex the government muscle twice when the end goal is destruction or hampering of Bitcoin.

Even if casacius coin is physical coin that is literally in conflict with the law, it will be a waste of government money to ban it as it's value in bitcoin is intact.

it's like designer drugs where the chemists change a few bonds to make a new drug that isn't yet outlawed. If Casacius coins were outlawed, a casacius note or figurine could be traded legally the following day.

FYI, I came up with the idea for Shire Silver because of the raid on the Liberty Dollar. I was trying to figure out a way to decentralize bullion production but couldn't get traditional bullion minting to be cost effective for small production runs, which led to the card model which can be cost effective. Its also much easier to use than traditional bullion. So the govt/fed shot themselves in the foot - again.

I am a big proponent of multiple avenues of attack - that way the enemy can't allocate defensive resources efficiently and they will lose because at least one of the avenues of attack will succeed. Bitcoin just seems to be the one most likely to succeed right now, which means they'll probably target it instead of Shire Silver.

And if they focus on trying to stop bitcoins, then my Shire Silver model will escape notice until its too late.  Grin

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
Luno

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 02:44:46 PM

The funny thing is that now as Bitcoin is known, even if it is completely flattend and Satoshi gets some jail time, the idea of a P2P currency is hard coded into the minds of thousands and not something that can be forgotten. The Bitcoin idea is unforgettable and many clones and barter currencies will take it's place if nescesary.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: