Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:51:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining in my Dorm  (Read 1058 times)
BTC-TMXSTAR (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 08:02:46 AM

Hi! Cheesy

I have been mining in my Dorm for more than a month Cheesy
I just have a slight problem now, my Antminer S3+ fan is kinda noisy now, and I am afraid my next door cant sleep.

So the main question is, can I replace the stock fans with a Corsair SP120? Its the only silent fan I can see here in the malls. Sad

and by the way, Is it possible that my miner can burst into flames and take down my dorm?
Im afraid that will happen in the future. Sad

For those who dont know the story yet, Im mining in my dorm because I got free Electricity and Internet Connection, So Im taking advantage Cheesy

Sorry for my very Bad English Sad

Thanks advance for the help
and
God Bless!!!!!
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 08:27:51 AM

Hi! Cheesy

I just have a slight problem now, my Antminer S3+ fan is kinda noisy now, and I am afraid my next door cant sleep.

So the main question is, can I replace the stock fans with a Corsair SP120? Its the only silent fan I can see here in the malls. Sad

and by the way, Is it possible that my miner can burst into flames and take down my dorm?

For those who dont know the story yet, Im mining in my dorm because I got free Electricity and Internet Connection, So Im taking advantage Cheesy

and
God Bless!!!!!

Yes you can, it should be fine because the fan will spin up to keep the temp much lower than it need to be. Sure the miner could burn up if there was some massive electric spike. You probably have a surge protector, right? But i mean if this happen, your miner probably won't be the only thing blowing up.

Might take a while to recoup the costs of the fans, though.

Anyways, if they,re the performance edition, the one that has the best cfm/pressure, this should work pretty fine.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
BTC-TMXSTAR (OP)

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 10:01:33 AM

Hi! Cheesy

and
God Bless!!!!!

Yes you can, it should be fine because the fan will spin up to keep the temp much lower than it need to be. Sure the miner could burn up if there was some massive electric spike. You probably have a surge protector, right? But i mean if this happen, your miner probably won't be the only thing blowing up.

Anyways, if they,re the performance edition, the one that has the best cfm/pressure, this should work pretty fine.

Hi VirosaGITS!

Thank you very much for your reply.

Yep, I already bought a surge protector. So can I leave my miner in my dorm without worrying fire hazard? By the way, does the miner turn off automatically if hit certain temperature?

Sorry for my Bad English

Thanks advance
and
God Bless!!!!!
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 11:04:18 AM

Hi! Cheesy

and
God Bless!!!!!

Hi VirosaGITS!

Thank you very much for your reply.

Yep, I already bought a surge protector. So can I leave my miner in my dorm without worrying fire hazard? By the way, does the miner turn off automatically if hit certain temperature?

Sorry for my Bad English

Thanks advance
and
God Bless!!!!!

Its supposed to when it reach 80c but i would not thrust that much. And you'll be able to tell by the temps it gives you. Machines make the fastest reaction/decision, but sound human judgment is best.

Specially when the code is buggy.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
BTC-TMXSTAR (OP)

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 01:52:54 PM

Ok Cheesy , Thank you for your help and time! Cheesy

Thanks again, and God Bless!!!!! Cheesy
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 06:56:00 PM

Honestly I have used those fans for a couple of mining projects including a thunder x3, with the tunnel system it should be good, make sure you don't mess up your push and pull system. (One fan pulls air into the tunnel the other pushes it out) I would also make sure you have everything on a high joule surge protector, dorm wiring sucks and caught my laptop on fire a couple years ago.

Not to mention depending on dorm some have horrible walls where you can hear your neighbors.  So if any sound's I could see some being mad during certain times like studying for test or final week.

I honestly would say send it home and mine it and pay your parents for electricity.  The last thing I wanted to do in my dorm's or apartments during college was have the sound around me or heat.   You pay a small fortune to be there... so making a little bit from 1 S3 is not worth it.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 02:10:10 AM

Honestly I have used those fans for a couple of mining projects including a thunder x3, with the tunnel system it should be good, make sure you don't mess up your push and pull system. (One fan pulls air into the tunnel the other pushes it out) I would also make sure you have everything on a high joule surge protector, dorm wiring sucks and caught my laptop on fire a couple years ago.

Not to mention depending on dorm some have horrible walls where you can hear your neighbors.  So if any sound's I could see some being mad during certain times like studying for test or final week.

I honestly would say send it home and mine it and pay your parents for electricity.  The last thing I wanted to do in my dorm's or apartments during college was have the sound around me or heat.   You pay a small fortune to be there... so making a little bit from 1 S3 is not worth it.
Most dorms are those weird block walls and pretty thick so sound wouldn't be too bad but the HEAT i didn't even think about how much that would suck.

Could have just been mine it had tiles on the "old" one I stayed in that was above those block walls.   Between that and the door it let sound out.   But I'm sure there are different ones out there.  I got into a brand new one and it was great.  So huge YMMV.

And of course apartments I later went to were even nicer.  And a lot better.
Redrose

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 02:12:22 AM

Hopefully nobody finds out  Undecided
Laviathon

Activity: 481
Merit: 264

BCMonster.com BTC ZEN HUSH KMD ARRR VRSC ACH RFOX

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2015, 03:14:46 AM

I have had really good luck quieting miners down using cooler master jetflo 120's.  I usually just use electrical tape to fill the gaps.  They however will not work on s5's.  Just not enough CFM.

BCMonster.com BTC, KMD, ZEN, HUSH, RFox, ARRR, ACH, VRSC <cpu> -   /  Easy Live Dashboards   / Looking for Miners! Join our Discord
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 12:08:59 AM

I have had really good luck quieting miners down using cooler master jetflo 120's.  I usually just use electrical tape to fill the gaps.  They however will not work on s5's.  Just not enough CFM.

S5's run hot and loud they are really not for quiet places unless a cold ambiant.  His S3 he mentioned he will be able to get pretty quiet.  It is a little dated but I guess if 0 electricity cost that does not matter as much.

But I still would think twice before I mined in dorm's.  I just don't think it's worth it for limited power and space. 
westom

Activity: 61
Merit: 5

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 03:52:40 PM

Yep, I already bought a surge protector. So can I leave my miner in my dorm without worrying fire hazard?
Most likely source of a fire is that plug-in protector.  Read its numbers.  How many joules does it claim to absorb?  Hundreds?  A destructive surge can be hundreds of thousands of joules.  Some (even fire houses) have seen the threat.

Your computer will even convert hundreds joules surges into rock solid and stable low voltage DC to power its semiconductors.  That same energy could even destroy the protector.  If a thermal fuse does not blow fast enough, then catastrophic failure (worst case a fire) can result.

APC recently admitted to maybe millions of their protector must be removed immediately.  View a CPC.gov site for further information.

A computer that overheats only crashes - mis-executes software.  No hardware damage.  Let hardware cool and software works just fine again.  Insufficiently cooled computer does not create fire - does not destroy hardware.  Furthermore, heat is a powerful diagnostic tool to locate defective hardware.  Any computer that does not operate in a 100 degree F room may have defective semiconductors that will get worse with age.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: