Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 12:07:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If society was an organism...  (Read 1583 times)
herzmeister (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2012, 11:01:21 PM

...and resources harvesting and processing would be nutrition and metabolism, currency the blood circulating, communication the nervous system, then... wouldn't government be the brain?  Shocked

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2012, 11:04:53 PM

...and resources harvesting and processing would be nutrition and metabolism, currency the blood circulating, communication the nervous system, then... wouldn't government be the brain?  Shocked

More like a brain cancer, or a parasite. Alters the behavior in unpredictable, and often self-destructive ways.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 12:40:01 AM

More like a brain cancer, or a parasite. Alters the behavior in unpredictable, and often self-destructive ways.

Not even that - I think hookworms would be more accurate. Start off small, leech a little... eventually grow to the point that they kill the host.

asdf

Activity: 527

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 02:22:34 AM

internet == brain

government == cancer
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 02:49:45 AM

internet == brain

government == cancer

asdf == win.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
herzmeister (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 08:02:35 AM

internet == brain

no, nervous system, as said

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 08:12:19 AM

Governments aren't smart enough to be the brain, the brain is the people, I vote for them being cancer too lol.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 08:26:59 AM

the blood circulating == trucks, cars, buses, trains, ships, airplanes

really, what would the currency be?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 09:56:17 AM

internet == brain

no, nervous system, as said

The brain is part of the nervous system.
herzmeister (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 10:12:21 AM

And matter/energy is part of either, so?

but yes, a government is big, extremely convoluted ball of communication paths, mostly merely serving itself, but this is where decisions are formed. Transmitters are its executive.

Rothgar

Activity: 374

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 01:47:20 PM

Not even that - I think hookworms would be more accurate. Start off small, leech a little... eventually grow to the point that they kill the host.

Almost?  Wait a while, you'll see.

Visit http://neocashradio.com for the premier weekly bitcoin podcast.
Follow neocashradio on twitter.  https://twitter.com/NeocashRadio
BlackBison

Activity: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 02:01:00 PM

Its most like the immune system to protect the important parts of society.. Unfortunately it's turned into one of those autoimmune systems (over active and attacks your own body by mistake)

bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 03:31:15 PM

the blood circulating == trucks, cars, buses, trains, ships, airplanes

really, what would the currency be?

Organisms use multiple "currencies" for different purposes. Fat for long term high density storage, glucose for everyday activities, and ketone bodies in times of starvation.

I think it is wrong to separate the "brain" and the nervous system. The brain is a location of highly dense nervous system activity that filters unimportant information and tries to predict the results of current/future actions on future results based on past experience. I'm not sure what the analogous thing in a society would be, not the government.

The government is more like the immune system (as blackbison says), which has various tools to detect and deal with internal and external threats to the stability of the system.
DTD

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 12:16:08 AM

ITT that sounds most accurate.

Anyone calling it the brain is confused. It performs no functions in any way analogous to the brain. The market, the private sectors, would be the brain, if anything. That's where all the creation and intelligent activity takes place. All the G does is siphon resources and screw up the brain's healthy operations.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 2111

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 05:23:28 AM

Possibly the government could be part of the brain. The lizard part. Eat, f*ck, fight, sh*t. That's about all it can manage.

I can see where some arguments could be made for the monkey part too. But it comes nowhere near the frontal lobes.

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 06:10:43 PM

I thought this thread said "Orgasm".  Shocked

I am not sure about the comparison with brain matter. In a brain each cell is stupid, but working together intelligence emerges. In government each person seems reasonably smart on their own, but together they are disastrously stupid.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
herzmeister (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 06:27:20 PM

Aren't cancers generally caused by "freedom loving" cells that decide "TO HELL with my neighbours, the authoritarian government, and the laa-dee-daa community! This is my turf and I'm going to homestead this place and build whatever the hell I want!" ?? Cheesy

Always those free radicals!  Angry

In government each person seems reasonably smart on their own

wha?

but together they are disastrously stupid

well they do create order somewhat. Though the average life span of many a state is also quite similar to that of a human organism.

FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 06:56:00 PM

All a bunch of wonderful speculation, to be sure. The idea is not new, and Herman Daly is known for describing in detail the aspects of it.

It's all here:

http://sef.umd.edu/files/ScientificAmerican_Daly_05.pdf

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/3941
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 07:01:17 PM

Aren't cancers generally caused by "freedom loving" cells that decide "TO HELL with my neighbours, the authoritarian government, and the laa-dee-daa community! This is my turf and I'm going to homestead this place and build whatever the hell I want!" ?? Cheesy

Always those free radicals!  Angry

In government each person seems reasonably smart on their own

wha?

but together they are disastrously stupid

well they do create order somewhat. Though the average life span of many a state is also quite similar to that of a human organism.

I was thinking of something more like this classic. (updated)
http://www.businessballs.com/businessballs_treeswing_pictures.htm

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
tbdunamis

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2012, 02:29:39 AM

Its most like the immune system to protect the important parts of society.. Unfortunately it's turned into one of those autoimmune systems (over active and attacks your own body by mistake)

"...whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends (protect the important parts of society), it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." - from the preamble of The Declaration of Independence
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: