Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 08:31:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I gpu mine any altcoins effectivley?  (Read 1091 times)
jonatron5 (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 05:47:51 AM

I know bitcoin is out of the question for us gpu users , but are there any altcoins I can mine?

Electricity is free in my dorm

Im running a single 780ti.

Not planning on getting rich or anything just think it's really cool and I wanted to try to get into it.
XERES

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 08:26:31 AM

i cpu mine XMG for fun, other than thank, mine a X11 oe X13 coin when it comes out, i use this to check (altcoincalender)

Scorpian

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 08:27:36 AM

you probably have to rush in really early before there's any competition.
MissCrypto

Activity: 945
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 10:06:52 AM

Electricity is free

In this case every tradable altcoin you mine is profit unless you bust you graphics card before making back the value of it.

|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ |
jonatron5 (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 07:17:59 PM

If electricity is free to me would I be able to do bitcoins? Or would my contributions be so limited to be negledgable?

Also are there any other serious tradeable competitors to bitcoins?
defaultking

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2015, 07:37:00 PM

I think litecoin, dogecoin, dash, and maybe something like etherum or monero would be the best. Dont know if those would be really wortg it as that's probably more of a question that youd have to answer.
Nabicoma

Activity: 38

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 10:12:51 PM

You can GPU mine Ethereum effectively. You can also mine Monero effectively. These two coins have good communities as well.
jonatron5 (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 01:47:46 AM

ETHERIUM HUH???

looking into it looks pretty promising. as a complete and utter newbie. how do I get started at this?
tanoury

Activity: 235

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 02:09:24 AM

Just make sure that you stay away from SHA256 and Scrypt coins, these are dominated by ASICs
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 08:37:50 AM

I know bitcoin is out of the question for us gpu users , but are there any altcoins I can mine?

Electricity is free in my dorm

Im running a single 780ti.

Not planning on getting rich or anything just think it's really cool and I wanted to try to get into it.

In theory, any altcoin that does NOT use SHA256 or Scrypt should be mineable, but your card is old enough it's not going to be particularly efficient at doing so. IMO upgrade it to one of the Maxwell-core cards then mine something like DASH (which is the most popular and usually the most profitable X11-based coin).

LiteCoin and Doge are Scrypt, do NOT bother trying to mine them with a GPU.

Bitcoin with a GPU is not worth wasting the time on - ASIC are in the ballpark of a MILLION times more efficient than the best GPU ever was at anything SHA256-based.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Redrose

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 08:46:22 AM

Well... If you setup your own altcoin and premine it, then it's effective Smiley
wildduck
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 12:23:09 PM

You can try to mine exp.
BlackPanda
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 01:07:26 PM

dash coin has been tested in the market. you do not need anymore when starting to mine this coin.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 02:37:10 PM

dash coin has been tested in the market. you do not need anymore when starting to mine this coin.

IMO DASH is the third most likely coin to survive long-term, probably the best overall of the GPU mineable altcoins.

Realistically though, I'd not bet on any altcoin to survive VERY long term, the market will consolodate eventually as more folks realise that "technical innovation" loses to "marketing" - and BitCoin is accepted by more of the market than all other "altcoins" combined by a WIDE margin.

Think Beta (better tech) vs. VHS (better marketed) and the fact that VHS won that war as it was "good enough" and got much wider acceptance.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
RustyNoman

Activity: 189

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 06:51:39 PM

Well... If you setup your own altcoin and premine it, then it's effective Smiley

If you cannot sell your premined altcoin, then it is not effective. No many people will buy scam coin now.
xmax

Activity: 131

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 08:42:10 PM

i cpu mine XMG for fun, other than thank, mine a X11 oe X13 coin when it comes out, i use this to check (altcoincalender)
How do you mine CMG with your computer?  I am interested in anything where I can effectively mine and make a few extra dollars on the side, while I am working on my computers of coarse.  My rent is included with my electricity, so I would like to make the most of it.
Yesterdam

Activity: 59

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 09:19:14 PM

Electricity is free

In this case every tradable altcoin you mine is profit unless you bust you graphics card before making back the value of it.

You have to unvoltage your graphics to save the GPU from burning. Then you can make profit.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: