Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:43:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Meanwhile on Wikipedia...  (Read 9902 times)
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 06:29:37 PM

. . . But absolutely it's legitimate to be in the table of currencies . . .
Most here would agree with you that Bitcoin is a currency, but there may be room for discussion as to what the "base" unit is and what the relative value is of that base unit.

If the "Satoshi" (the smallest integer unit of represented value in a transaction) is considered the base unit, then calling 1 BTC a "currency unit" would be like calling a Franklin (U.S. $100 bill) a "currency unit".  They are both just names for a multiple of the base unit.

If the "Satoshi" is the "currency unit", then it doesn't belong on that list. Yet.

That list isn't showing the smallest unit of other currencies.

It's a dumb page imo, and putting bitcoin at the top might be a good way to point that out, heh.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 06:37:36 PM

. . . But absolutely it's legitimate to be in the table of currencies . . .
Most here would agree with you that Bitcoin is a currency, but there may be room for discussion as to what the "base" unit is and what the relative value is of that base unit.

If the "Satoshi" (the smallest integer unit of represented value in a transaction) is considered the base unit, then calling 1 BTC a "currency unit" would be like calling a Franklin (U.S. $100 bill) a "currency unit".  They are both just names for a multiple of the base unit.

If the "Satoshi" is the "currency unit", then it doesn't belong on that list. Yet.

The base unit of a dollar is a cent, but the chart doesn't utilize that unit. It is listing the nominal unit of the currency. Bitcoin may be divisible to eight decimal places, but 1 btc is the standard currency unit, just as 1 usd.
As I said, I think there is room for discussion on that.  Perhaps the Satoshi is the nominal unit, and we simply use the "Bitcoin" nickname for ease of use when we are dealing with exceptionally large quantities.  If inflation drives prices up until every thing we buy costs over 1000 USD, and we all start talking in terms of "grand", ("Sure, you can have a diet coke, that'll be 3.5 grand.") does that make the "grand" the nominal unit?

No, Satoshi is not the nominal unit just as 1 cent is not the nominal unit of a dollar. 1 bitcoin is the nominal unit. If in ten years we all talk in terms of millibits, then perhaps that page should be updated. But today, 1 btc is a clearly defined and known unit of account.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 06:41:30 PM

What was the forum that just recently introduced the ability to award someone "+X INTERNETS" and these would be awarded in bitcoin as increments of 0.01 BTC?

I kind of like the idea of 0.01 BTC being called "internets" in a tongue-in-cheek fashion.

To be honest, the word "bitcents" has a flaw few have probably thought about.  With the growth in 1 BTC's buying power, I am now starting to consider a coin for 0.5 BTC.  But the thought of using the word "BITCENTS" on a coin is scary in a Liberty Dollar sort of way - specifically because it contains the word "cents", a word that also is used commonly in fiat currency including US dollars.  I will not use a word containing "cents" on a coin.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 07:13:09 PM

What was the forum

http://www.reddit.com/
http://www.reddit.com/r/bitcointip/comments/13iykn/bitcointipdocumentation/

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 07:15:12 PM

What was the forum that just recently introduced the ability to award someone "+X INTERNETS" and these would be awarded in bitcoin as increments of 0.01 BTC?

I kind of like the idea of 0.01 BTC being called "internets" in a tongue-in-cheek fashion.

To be honest, the word "bitcents" has a flaw few have probably thought about.  With the growth in 1 BTC's buying power, I am now starting to consider a coin for 0.5 BTC.  But the thought of using the word "BITCENTS" on a coin is scary in a Liberty Dollar sort of way - specifically because it contains the word "cents", a word that also is used commonly in fiat currency including US dollars.  I will not use a word containing "cents" on a coin.
Call it 500mBTC then.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 07:16:16 PM

Then use the standard bitcoin denominations, 100 miliBitcoins = 0.10 cents or 10 miliBitcoins = 0.01 cent, hence 500 miliBitcoins = 0.50 cents

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 07:40:40 PM

Then use the standard bitcoin denominations, 100 miliBitcoins = 0.10 BTC or 10 miliBitcoins = 0.01 BTC, hence 500 miliBitcoins = 0.50 BTC

FTFY
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 08:06:50 PM

Call it 500mBTC then.

Then use the standard bitcoin denominations, 100 miliBitcoins = 0.10 cents or 10 miliBitcoins = 0.01 cent, hence 500 miliBitcoins = 0.50 cents

I understand and agree that I could use these... I am simply proposing that I consider "Internets" to be appealing.  I am not asking for anyone to simply tell me what to use.  I asking for opinions, but am anticipating "I like/don't like because" rather than "Do this/that".

The masses will probably see an appeal in names more so than SI units.  I notice that auto manufacturers with both regular and luxury brands of cars consistently give model numbers to their luxury brands, and model names to their regular ones.  There's surely a reason for this, and I'm invoking it here.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 08:15:16 PM

The masses will probably see an appeal in names more so than SI units.  I notice that auto manufacturers with both regular and luxury brands of cars consistently give model numbers to their luxury brands, and model names to their regular ones.  There's surely a reason for this, and I'm invoking it here.

Interesting concept, what do you have in mind?

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 08:18:22 PM

The central authority of Bitcoin is Mathematics!

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
remotemass
Legendary

Activity: 1117
Merit: 1016

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 08:20:29 PM

To get the value of a currency you need to multiply the value of each unit by the total amount of units in circulation.
That is the value that you need to compare in order to see how valued is a currency compared to others.
In the case of bitcoin, is immediate to know the amount of bitcoins in circulation and to multiply that by the value of each.
Altough bitcoin is very high valued in each unit, it has much less units in circulation compared to other currencies so the currency is much less valued than others.

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 08:20:59 PM

The masses will probably see an appeal in names more so than SI units.  I notice that auto manufacturers with both regular and luxury brands of cars consistently give model numbers to their luxury brands, and model names to their regular ones.  There's surely a reason for this, and I'm invoking it here.

Internets
1 Internet = 0.01 BTC

Of course, to coast on: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/you-win-the-internet

They said you win the internet, and the internet delivered.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 08:28:07 PM
Last edit: December 13, 2012, 09:09:17 PM by paraipan

The masses will probably see an appeal in names more so than SI units.  I notice that auto manufacturers with both regular and luxury brands of cars consistently give model numbers to their luxury brands, and model names to their regular ones.  There's surely a reason for this, and I'm invoking it here.

Internets
1 Internet = 0.01 BTC

Nicee, +10 Internets to you sir for having such a great idea Smiley

Edit: Now I would really enjoy a tipping bot here on the forum, or something similar, to actually send you the Internets.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 08:45:23 PM

Internets
1 Internet = 0.01 BTC

I don't see "Internets" as a bad idea.  As for the 0.5 BTC coin, I'd probably just call it a "Half Bitcoin" (Like the "Half Dollar")  You are still using the largely recognized bitcoin name and clearly indicating the value.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 09:34:17 PM

Internets
1 Internet = 0.01 BTC

I can imagine a lot of people people googling "what is 1 internet", and staying confused for a very long time...
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 09:38:34 PM

Internets
1 Internet = 0.01 BTC

I can imagine a lot of people people googling "what is 1 internet", and staying confused for a very long time...

Not really, if it ends up gaining widespread adoption, and the Wikipedia article for Internet ends up saying:

This article is about the public worldwide computer network system.  For the currency commonly referred to as Internets, see Bitcoin.

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 09:44:26 PM

Well that was fun while it lasted.  Embarrassed

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 09:49:51 PM

Bitcoin is already difficult for non-techies to grasp, let's not add to the confusion by using a word already in very widespread use with very precise meaning (=Internet).  Grandmas and grandmas won't get the joke.

I think everyone of us, when writing here or anywhere else, calls 0.5 BTC "0.5 BTC", so therefore it should just say 0.5 BTC on the coin.  Simple as that!

Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 10:09:07 PM

Bitcoin is already difficult for non-techies to grasp, let's not add to the confusion by using a word already in very widespread use with very precise meaning (=Internet).  Grandmas and grandmas won't get the joke.

I think everyone of us, when writing here or anywhere else, calls 0.5 BTC "0.5 BTC", so therefore it should just say 0.5 BTC on the coin.  Simple as that!

I agree, I think the coin should say "0.5 Bitcoin"
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 10:11:58 PM

Ah, it was edited out before I got a chance to see it Sad

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: