Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:26:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Accidentally sent BTC to Bitmixer.io donation address but no refund  (Read 6260 times)
Redrose

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 11:52:30 PM

Never really expected this to actually come out legit, but Bitmixer should really refund those BTC because it was an accident...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 11:53:00 PM

Ugh. This is a mess. If I was running Bitmixer then I'd at least try and work with the guy if it's legit. Their service totally depends on inspiring trust in their users. At least tell him why it's not possible to return it other than the fact they simply don't want to. If they receive donations then I'm guessing they have access to the coins to spend them. No way I'd use them if they can't be bothered to address this somehow if the story checks out.

Maybe the spent the coins! Or put them in deep/cold storage. Then they could not access them. But if they did this, they are idiots. No sugestin of how it could be rectified. No attempt of solving this problem. = seems a dishonest company.
AhmedAshraf

Activity: 357
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 05:38:08 AM

Ugh. This is a mess. If I was running Bitmixer then I'd at least try and work with the guy if it's legit. Their service totally depends on inspiring trust in their users. At least tell him why it's not possible to return it other than the fact they simply don't want to. If they receive donations then I'm guessing they have access to the coins to spend them. No way I'd use them if they can't be bothered to address this somehow if the story checks out.

Maybe the spent the coins! Or put them in deep/cold storage. Then they could not access them. But if they did this, they are idiots. No sugestin of how it could be rectified. No attempt of solving this problem. = seems a dishonest company.
Even if they did put it in a cold wallet, it's now like they can't refund him from their hot wallet, or move the coins out of the cold one.
Extremely selfish act on their behalf, that could be a strong indicator of their intentions.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2015, 05:44:09 AM

I wouldn't say dishonest, unforgiving would be a better word.
First line customer support at Bitmixer won't really be helpful, especially for a matter of 30BTC.

Maybe they are being greedy, but it's hard to be sympathetic to somebody who would do a careless mistake.
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2015, 06:24:47 AM

Maybe the spent the coins! Or put them in deep/cold storage. Then they could not access them. But if they did this, they are idiots. No suggestion of how it could be rectified. No attempt of solving this problem. = seems a dishonest company.

I wouldn't say dishonest, unforgiving would be a better word.
First line customer support at Bitmixer won't really be helpful, especially for a matter of 30BTC.

Maybe they are being greedy, but it's hard to be sympathetic to somebody who would do a careless mistake.

If this was a convenience store and a face to face transaction that would not be copastetic, ever. 

teddy5145

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 07:54:37 AM

Tell them that if by 24 hours the money isn't refunded then you will open a scam accusation on btc talk along with solid proofs
That should make them scared if they really want to keep their reputation Wink
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2015, 10:44:11 AM

they should be able to sent it back... Angry

allyouracid
Legendary

Activity: 2320
Merit: 1292

Encrypted Money, Baby!

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 01:05:14 PM

Tell them that if by 24 hours the money isn't refunded then you will open a scam accusation on btc talk along with solid proofs
I don't think they care about that. Nearly all drug dealers use their service (because they're actively being advertised by the dark net markets), so they'll have more than enough customers, whatever comes.

Of course it's bad for the OP, but what is 30 BTC? 1-4 weeks of income, depending on what market you're selling on and how much you're selling? I don't think it'll throw him out of business.

It's a hard lesson. Sorry for your loss, OP. Normally, there should be no reason for the Bitmixer guys being assholes, but if they decide to, there's little to nothing you can do. Sad

Don't visit my shitcoin blog: OCOIN.DEV
Use cointracking.info for tax declaration & tracking of your trades!
teddy5145

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 04:02:45 PM

I don't think they care about that. Nearly all drug dealers use their service (because they're actively being advertised by the dark net markets), so they'll have more than enough customers, whatever comes.

Of course it's bad for the OP, but what is 30 BTC? 1-4 weeks of income, depending on what market you're selling on and how much you're selling? I don't think it'll throw him out of business.

It's a hard lesson. Sorry for your loss, OP. Normally, there should be no reason for the Bitmixer guys being assholes, but if they decide to, there's little to nothing you can do. Sad
Never knew that they are being active on the dark markets Tongue
But there's no harm in trying though, maybe they still care about his reputation on BTC talk Wink
and yes, 30 BTC loss is a hard lesson Sad
OP why did you want to mix the 30 BTC in the first place anyway?
Jason

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 04:21:13 PM

That depends.  If the OP is willing to spend more going after bitmixer.io, and if the jurisdiction of their owners (Norway?) is sufficiently friendly, he may be able to force their hand in the courts.  I'd start here:

Domain : bitmixer.io
Expiry : 2016-09-20

NS 1   : edna.ns.cloudflare.com
NS 2   : jake.ns.cloudflare.com

Owner  : Alex Bitshe
Owner  : Bitmixer
Owner  : Pb 1034 Sentrum
Owner  : Oslo
Owner  : NO

Then maybe hire a private investigator to track down the owner(s), and a lawyer from Norway (or wherever they turn out to be) in order to see if your case is viable.  You should also have the lawyer insure that they are following all of the laws of the jurisdiction in which they are based (which seems unlikely for most Western jurisdictions).  If not, you may be able to extract some satisfaction by having your lawyer notify the authorities in their country that they are operating outside of the law and providing them with the contact information turned up by your private investigator.

Good luck.  If enough people put pressure on companies like these to catch up to the rest of the world in customer service they will either change their ways or be forced out of business.  Either outcome would be good for Bitcoin.

BM-2D7sazxZugpTgqm3M2MCi5C1t8Du8BN11f
KingZee

Activity: 910
Merit: 452

Check your coin privilege

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 05:18:05 PM

I'm sorry if this comes out as rude, but in Bitmixer's shoes, I'd do the same thing they did, and wouldn't feel guilty, or like I'm scamming you.
"Legally" (for whatever sense that word holds in the crypto-world) you donated 30btc to bitmixer.io. It was your own choice, and your personal mistake. God knows do I check my addresses thrice before sending, even after copy-pasting I can't help double-checking.

So in the end, if they don't refund you, you need to understand that YOU messed up, they're not liable for any of the damage you did to yourself.
Again, I'm sorry if this is rude compared to the other people sympathising, but this is what it is, you have to accept it and never make this mistake again.

Beep boop beep boop
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 05:27:06 PM

I'm sorry if this comes out as rude, but in Bitmixer's shoes, I'd do the same thing they did, and wouldn't feel guilty, or like I'm scamming you.
"Legally" (for whatever sense that word holds in the crypto-world) you donated 30btc to bitmixer.io. It was your own choice, and your personal mistake. God knows do I check my addresses thrice before sending, even after copy-pasting I can't help double-checking.

I don't buy that. They are a business. To stay in business you have to satisfy customers and maintain a good image, especially when it's something like BTC mixing where a lot can potentially go wrong and a whole bunch of trust needs to be earned.

If it was a burn address then that's one thing, but the guy made a mistake that's easily within their power to rectify and they seem to be doing nothing about it. Am I gonna do business with people like that? No, sir.

He shouldn't have done it. They should be doing something to help him out or at least give some decent reasons why not.
BTC_Grinch

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 05:35:23 PM

Lol. It's a lot of money for 'normal ppl'. I'm lucky to earn 7-8 btc with my job. I used to know a dealer and even though he had a lot of customers, he threw with money like it was shit.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 06:07:00 PM

I'm sorry if this comes out as rude, but if I knew who you are, I would want nothing to do with you. You are the kind of person that delights in taking advantage of another's misfortune. If someone accidentally overpaid you, you would keep it. If a guest accidentally left something valuable at your house, you would keep it. If a friend (assuming you have one) accidentally disclosed a private key, you would spend all of their bitcoins. But you don't care because you are a guilt-free non-scamming scumbag asshole.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
coinzat

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Young but I'm not that bold

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 06:22:28 PM

--

I really feel sorry for you as you have a huge loss. but as you said, it is your mistake that you send this transaction.

as you know,  there is no charge back in bitcoin, there is no difference if you know the output address owner or not.

i hope you can reach an agreement with bitmixer. as writing in forums and reddit should help your case

OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 06:27:57 PM

Well, this is a messy case.  I once made my own mistake with bitmixer (for a much lower amount of BTC), it WAS my own fault.  It took awhile, and it also took some back & forth, but I did get my BTC back.  They key thing (and this was well over a year ago), was to sign and verify that BTC address that I sent it from.

And THAT is one of the reasons why I signed on to their Signature Campaign.  They resolved a problem, my error, for me in an acceptable way.  YES, there was some back & forth.  But, keep in mind that they are likely the targets of scams every day...

I have no idea if their policies regarding mistakes like yours (OP) or mine have changed.

30 BTC is a lot, I think that gentle persistence in asking for your BTC is proper, and that if you follow their instructions completely, you will probably be made whole in the end.  Keep working with (on) them, do what they say, and my guess is that you will get your BTC back.

That 30% offer you made to them seems EXTREMELY fair to them, IMO.  There is almost surely some way that bitmixer could come up with the remaining 70%, there must me some controls that allow them access to THEIR own BTC.  But, be persistent, polite and do whatever they tell you.

They have an apparently excellent business model.  I doubt that they would want to ruin it with a bad reputation from an accident.

But, it really is important to carefully review transactions (which both OP and I did not properly do) and to follow instructions.

EDIT:

One way to put yourself at less risk re accidents is send to send smaller amounts at a time, that of course means more times mixing, but that extra cost is near zero.  And you get more familiar with the whole process.

Still, sloppiness can get one into trouble.  That is why I often lose in chess to players I normally should be able to beat...  Smiley  Good luck!
KingZee

Activity: 910
Merit: 452

Check your coin privilege

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 06:28:07 PM

I'm sorry if this comes out as rude, but if I knew who you are, I would want nothing to do with you. You are the kind of person that delights in taking advantage of another's misfortune. If someone accidentally overpaid you, you would keep it. If a guest accidentally left something valuable at your house, you would keep it. If a friend (assuming you have one) accidentally disclosed a private key, you would spend all of their bitcoins. But you don't care because you are a guilt-free non-scamming scumbag asshole.

All of what you said is correct about me. Except the part about friends. Bitmixer.io were never his friends, pure business-to-client relationship. My conscience is very selective, and honest. You can trust me with any valuable goods of yours, and I would never steal or scam you, no matter what the situation, or the amount of funds. If me and you build a relationship of trust and good friendship, a mistake of yours just can't be handled that way, so my kindness kicks in. But "accidents" are unforgiveable in life. I learned the hard way, you probably yet have to face a situation like OP's, so your opinion will be like that, and it's expected to be that naive. There's a huge difference between being nice, and being fair, you need to know when you have to draw that line. You can't be nice to everyone, because not everyone will be nice to you.

Beep boop beep boop
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 09:58:23 PM

All of what you said is correct about me. Except the part about friends. Bitmixer.io were never his friends, pure business-to-client relationship. My conscience is very selective, and honest. You can trust me with any valuable goods of yours, and I would never steal or scam you, no matter what the situation, or the amount of funds. If me and you build a relationship of trust and good friendship, a mistake of yours just can't be handled that way, so my kindness kicks in. But "accidents" are unforgiveable in life. I learned the hard way, you probably yet have to face a situation like OP's, so your opinion will be like that, and it's expected to be that naive. There's a huge difference between being nice, and being fair, you need to know when you have to draw that line. You can't be nice to everyone, because not everyone will be nice to you.

Your trust rating does not seem to reflect that!
However, most of it seems made up (no reference links at all!)

And, this relates to the topic at hand. We don't really have any evidence that this transaction was ever made.
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 06:34:04 PM

Your trust rating does not seem to reflect that!
However, most of it seems made up (no reference links at all!)

And, this relates to the topic at hand. We don't really have any evidence that this transaction was ever made.

Uh, I suppose you did see #11 and #16 in this very thread? What other evidence is missing, in your opinion?

Ente
la_mocha (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 08:52:50 PM

Hello. Gave up after reading the thread, but gladly this has been resolved.
The Bitmixer support team sent me a mail which is "Sorry again for the issue, all admins were on vacations. I've transferred 30 + 5 btc as a compensation. Thank you.".
They gave me a happy new year present Smiley

Thank you.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: