Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:51:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: intrinsic value  (Read 1165 times)
hitchingAride (OP)

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 03:10:59 PM

It seems majority of us involved in bitcoin are speculative which I have nothing against. But how would you try and calculate the intrinsic value of bitcoin? Is there any way you measure when bitcoin is undervalued or overvalued? I am curious if their are fundamentals in bitcoin... for example are their any economic indicators that affect bitcoin in a similar way to how earnings reports might affect stocks.

greed, for lack of a better word, is good.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 03:34:33 PM

bitcoin in certainly undervalued, in my view, if its value can not sustain the mining activity, this is the only real parameter to calculate somehow its real value
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 06:47:58 PM

It seems majority of us involved in bitcoin are speculative which I have nothing against. But how would you try and calculate the intrinsic value of bitcoin? Is there any way you measure when bitcoin is undervalued or overvalued? I am curious if their are fundamentals in bitcoin... for example are their any economic indicators that affect bitcoin in a similar way to how earnings reports might affect stocks.

I would avoid using the terms "intrinsic" and "value" together because the discussion gets bogged down in what is "intrinsic" and does it actually exist.

What you are looking for is the value of the utility of Bitcoin, which is difficult enough to determine, but what you should be looking for is the discounted future price of a bitcoin.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
suda123

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 06:52:51 PM

*bop bop*

What is USD for 500$ Steve
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 07:47:32 PM

I would avoid using the terms "intrinsic" and "value" together because the discussion gets bogged down in what is "intrinsic" and does it actually exist.

What you are looking for is the value of the utility of Bitcoin, which is difficult enough to determine, but what you should be looking for is the discounted future price of a bitcoin.

Yes, I would agree with most of this.  Some words have slippery definitions ("money" is a great example).

Not even gold has "intrinsic value" (at least in the sense that its current value of +/- $1070) in that it has APPLICATIONS approaching its price.

Indeed, utility of Bitcoin (where you can spend it, etc.) is hard enough to determine.  For me, being able to buy gold with BTC is good enough (to give it "value"), BTC's easy transportability is also of potentially great value too.

Further ACCEPTANCE by more merchants and users seems to be the key to increasing BTC value.
hitchingAride (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 08:44:24 PM

Yes, I would agree with most of this.  Some words have slippery definitions ("money" is a great example).

Not even gold has "intrinsic value" (at least in the sense that its current value of +/- $1070) in that it has APPLICATIONS approaching its price.

Indeed, utility of Bitcoin (where you can spend it, etc.) is hard enough to determine.  For me, being able to buy gold with BTC is good enough (to give it "value"), BTC's easy transportability is also of potentially great value too.

Further ACCEPTANCE by more merchants and users seems to be the key to increasing BTC value.

Gold and Bitcoin do not have intrinsic value then. Their really is no way of measuring when a bitcoin is undervalued/overvalued. While bitcoin does have block chain technology, it is never going to produce any earnings. I guess you could say any value from bitcoin is not related to what it can produce (nothing) but rather what other people are willing to pay for it.

mobnepal
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 04:24:37 AM

Real Bitcoin value can only be calculated on basis of mining cost vs mining reward per block. Mining reward is getting lowered with time passes so the bitcoin value also have to rise to make balance between the cost and income. But looking at the currenct price and if it remain same before halving than certainly it is undervalued. Real value depend upon place to place where electricity cost are also different.
Maskedman

Activity: 244
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 04:27:56 AM

Bitcoin doesnt have an intrinsic value, however there is a fixed amount of BTC that can ever exist so unlike fiat, bitcoins aren't inflationary.
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2015, 03:00:48 PM

what is "intrinsic" and does it actually exist.

That's a little like asking whether this reality actually exists  Cheesy  If every single human on earth derives benefit in one way or another from an object that is non-essential for survival, it doesn't matter that the whole world feels that the object doesn't hold any intrinsic value, it's power is real and independent of the people's will.
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 03:42:00 PM

There is intrinsic value of bitcoin, it is linked to the blockchain.
Each bitcoin gives the holder the ability to save a large number of short messages, linked with your TX in a globally distributed and time stamped permanent data store - the blockchain.
This message saving certainly has intrinsic value since it can be used to prove ownership of a document at a certain time, by including a hash of that document in a transaction.
If you think that electronic notarization services charge something like $10/document, this would give an intrinsic value of around $10,000 per bitcoin.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 05:48:10 PM
Last edit: December 30, 2015, 10:13:56 PM by odolvlobo

[discussion gets bogged down in] what is "intrinsic" and does it actually exist.

That's a little like asking whether this reality actually exists  Cheesy  If every single human on earth derives benefit in one way or another from an object that is non-essential for survival, it doesn't matter that the whole world feels that the object doesn't hold any intrinsic value, it's power is real and independent of the people's will.

Just as I predicted in my first post ...

Anyway, "intrinsic" implies an objective value, yet all value is subjective. Objective value does not exist, therefore neither does intrinsic value.

Also, inaccessible bitcoins have no value. If all bitcoins have an intrinsic value, and these bitcoins have a value of 0, then the intrinsic value of a bitcoin must be 0.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
hitchingAride (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 07:03:11 PM

Anyway, "intrinsic" implies an objective value, yet all value is subjective. Objective value does mot exist, therefore neither does intrinsic value.

Also, inaccessible bitcoins have no value. If all bitcoins have an intrinsic value, and these bitcoins have a value of 0, then the intrinsic value of a bitcoin must be 0.

While I now agree it is impossible to measure the intrinsic value of bitcoin since when we buy bitcoin it is in hopes that more people will adopt it, the value comes from hope and the belief it should be valued so.

But I disagree when you say "all value is subjective. Objective value does mot exist, therefore neither does intrinsic value." How could all value be subjective? if you took some company and took all of it's tangible assets - liabilities = book value...

now this book value would be what the owners would receive if the hypothetical company liquidated everything. You could go one step forward and look at the annual earnings of the company that gets reinvested thus increasing the book value year to year. If you made a forecast over say ten years of the earning put back into the company and then discounted it you could calculate intrinsic value.

"In the short run, the market is a voting machine but in the long run, it is a weighing machine.”  -Benjamin Graham

helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2015, 08:27:54 PM

the only time i believe bitcoin will have any real value is when the wealth of it is spread among many more people, at present there are still far too many people holding grossly large amounts of them thus being able to manipulate the price to easily. 

Moneyburner

Activity: 112

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 12:48:58 AM

I think a problem bitcoin will face in the future is that part of it's value is the idea that it will be worth X100 what it is worth now. Many people are just in it for the growth.

Now where this becomes an issue is when we reach a point where it can't double you money in a few months. It better have been able to create some type of value at that point

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼  No.1 Bitcoin Binary Options and Double Dice  ▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
████████████████████████████████  sec◔nds trade  ████████████████████████████████
↑↓ Instant Bets ↑↓ Flexible 1~720 minutes Expiry time ↑↓ Highest Reward 190% ↑↓ 16 Assets [btc, forex, gold, 1% edge double dice] ↑↓
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2015, 03:00:56 AM
Last edit: December 31, 2015, 07:08:08 AM by ObscureBean

[discussion gets bogged down in] what is "intrinsic" and does it actually exist.

Anyway, "intrinsic" implies an objective value, yet all value is subjective. Objective value does not exist, therefore neither does intrinsic value.

I don't think you understood my post, what I'm saying is that if everyone uses this non-essential object, whether it has objective or subjective value no longer matters, questioning whether objective value actually exists becomes meaningless. It no longer matters whether you acknowledge the object as having intrinsic value, it has an intrinsic value that is independent of your awareness.  I'm not talking specifically about Bitcoin here.
Cass LeChat

Activity: 84

cryptoqueen

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 07:19:32 AM

I think bitcoin is definitely undervalued because a lot of what makes it easy and groundbreaking is lost on the majority of people. I don't know what price that reflects, but socially I think it's way undervalued. Even for being at the price it's at in so few years of existence.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: