Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:45:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My Thoughts on the Bitcoin Foundation  (Read 1741 times)
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2015, 02:22:03 AM

Enjoy:

http://hoskinsoncharles.blogspot.com/2015/12/how-to-save-or-destroy-bitcoin.html

Or if you prefer them in Bitcointalk form:

How to Save (Or Destroy) the Bitcoin Foundation
I've been thinking about the Bitcoin Foundation over the last few months. After I left as the first chairman of the education committee back in late 2013, I dismissed the Foundation as a mostly inept attempt by some business interests in the community to gain an edge over their competitors.

The actions of Peter Vessenes and Mark Karpeles alongside the board's indifference to the Foundation's membership as well as the mainstream Bitcoin community made it seem likely that the Foundation would simply go bankrupt and collapse under its own weight like a great battleship built for a war that would never happen and then left to rust in neglect (see I can be poetic too). Sure enough, they are functionally bankrupt having burnt through about 7 million dollars worth of Bitcoin (they even spent a million dollars on that spiffy Amsterdam conference!).

So why the sudden interest after my self-imposed exile? After traveling extensively throughout the world, I've notice that there is still an impression internationally that the Foundation is relevant and in some way represents Bitcoin- especially among the international press. It's not accurate and probably similar in spirit to the headlines stating Bitcoin's CEO has been arrested.

We also have a larger, but somewhat related problem that the blocksize debate has made blatantly clear- governance. It seems nearly impossible to get the community to agree on anything outside of trying to increase adoption and the underlying value of the bitcoin token.

Hence, I think we have an opportunity to solve two problems at once. The Foundation can be productively reborn preventing another media boondoggle and at the same time we have an excellent opportunity to explore new types of governance, algorithmic regulation and social consensus.

So assuming it's somehow a good idea to rebuild the Foundation (I fully agree that there are solid arguments to simply let it burn), let's explore what it would take to do so. As a side-note, I would be equally happy with seeing the Foundation shutdown if it didn't harm the Bitcoin brand and community.

First, the Foundation has lost any form of legitimacy. It's broke because prior leaders looted it. It's undemocratic by forcing out elected board members and replacing them with appointed ones. It's utterly unable to listen to outside opinions and conduct basic affairs such as managing board meetings, elections or produce a viable road-map.

Thus these issues need to be corrected before any future progress can be made. So let's start with an independent audit of the Foundation's books, relationships and accomplishments. Hire an auditor paid from an outside pool of capital (hell I'll throw some money into that fund) and give him a mandate to do the following:

Build a timeline of all major events since the Foundations inception
Provide detailed financial records on the Foundation's expenses and income
Annotate all business relationships the Foundation has had since its inception and their association (if any) to current and past board members and executive directors
Provide an HR database of all personnel that the foundation has retained and their compensation. Also build a social graph showing the relationship between the Foundation employees and the board members past and present including if they worked for or with the board members in previous or current ventures
List the major efforts the Foundation has embarked upon and rate their success based upon the Auditor's best judgement and whatever objective metrics can be established
Give each executive director- past and present- an opportunity to write an explanation for the findings of the auditor.
Once drafted, then release the report to the general public- unless criminal conduct is discovered, then first release the evidence to the relevant agencies and let them choose when to release it.

Here's what an audit accomplishes:

It divorces the Foundation from its past by bringing everything out into the light and exposing any corruption from past or present leadership. If anyone is responsible for criminal acts, then they will be exposed and I'd hope prosecuted     
It acts as a basis for the Foundation to re-engage the Bitcoin community. The Foundation can say ok this is what we did wrong so tell us how we can be better in the future?
Those who are asking for the Foundation to be shutdown can now have a fair debate. The audit will provide an independent assessment of where the Foundation has been and what it has accomplished given its resources
At the end of this process, my hope would be for the Foundation to work with the Bitcoin community towards either shutting itself down or some form of reconstruction. The point is that its now done with reason, evidence and consensus instead of a shouting match. In my experience, people get angry when they feel like they've been deceived or aren't being heard. There is a very strong perception in the Bitcoin community that the Foundation has been historically dishonest and deaf. An audit strikes at the heart of the anger.

Second, let's say the Foundation somehow survives an audit and the community -or a wealthy patron(s)- seeks to continue the Foundation's existence, then the next step is to solidify the organization behind a new mission and values. This action is a wonderful opportunity to work with several ventures such as Colony and Boardroom focusing on DAOs and other algorithmically enforced structures of governance. 

But it's natural to ask to what end? I don't think Charles Hoskinson should decide that. More to the point, no one person should. Instead let's make proposals and draft a candidate constitution. Then have the Bitcoin community vote on proposals. In my view, the core value proposition for continuing the Foundation is to experiment with technology that allows for decentralized governance. If the Foundation should continue under an unelected or pseudo-elected board, then just shut it down. We created Bitcoin to get away from these things.

This process could be amazingly beneficial. It- like Bitcoin was and still is-  serves as an experiment driven by a well intended community instead of the mandate of an overlord seeking power or control (also drop Satoshi from the board, it's insulting). We would also gain tangible data on how to discuss controversial ideas within a productive framework with the aim of eventually reaching a community consensus (can you think of any debate Bitcoiners are having right now?). Finally, the community can also explore how to regulate a custodial entity using cryptography instead of trusted founders (wow, think of all those smart contracts and prove of solvency proposals that people have been preaching about- someone call Peter Todd!).

And now comes the objection: But Charles there isn't enough money to do this stuff! And I say: Aren't Mirror, Coinprism and other Bitcoin companies incredibly well funded, and don't they need a good showcase for their tech? Wouldn't the good press and community goodwill serve as excellent advertisement for their platforms?

Money is never the issue. It's vision and the ability to forge partnerships around it. If the current board can't accomplish this task, then fire them or shut the whole thing down. I'm extremely tired of hearing that we can't accomplish something. The entire point of Bitcoin has been doing the stuff that people have been saying we can't do on a consistent basis.

The argument above showcases my primary issue with the Foundation. It just doesn't lead. It lacks any notion of a vision or a purpose. Let's not blame them for it. Let's just install one that benefits the entire community.

Third, let's discuss management and global representation. Traveling around the world, I've had the privilege to meet some exceptional people from Switzerland to Japan. I'm headed to Argentina next month and will have a chance to spend some time with one of the most passionate Bitcoin communities that you can find. It utterly disturbing to see the passive level of commitment that the current (and former) members of the Foundation's leadership have outside of Bruce and a few others. 

There are legions of Bitcoiners who would work with the Foundation full or part time with both enthusiasm and zeal if only given a chance. If the Foundation is going to continue existing, then it should reach out to the existing Bitcoin communities. More specifically, the Bitcoin meetup groups. They are run by passionate volunteers who love this space, the technology and its rich philosophical roots.

The Bitcoin meetup groups are also largely responsible for Bitcoin's growth from a novel technology to a global movement. I'd love to see the Foundation serve as a hub connecting them together and recruiting from within their ranks on a global basis. When people are given a great vision and a purpose, they aren't motivated by money to do work. The open source movement has proven this truth time and again.

Alright, so in conclusion, audit the Foundation, turn over any evidence of criminal conduct to the relevant authorities, draft a constitution via community participation, govern using tech from well funded Bitcoin startups, and link all the Bitcoin meetup groups together to act as the execution engine, talent farm and source of great ideas (See Social Physics).

It's really not that hard to accomplish something great. It just takes vision, persistence, honesty and leadership. If the Foundation has it, then it should survive. If it doesn't, then don't worry it will eventually collapse. 

Cheers,
Axiom

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 02:52:03 AM

firstly an audit is just throwing more money down the drain..

instead just grab all the bitcoin and fiat the foundation has and declare the past the past..

next... this is important.
1.stop with the lame circle jerking meetings that provide no fruits of labour.
by this i mean there is no point asking a group of 2 dozen people to get together, paying travel accomodation, food and catering. just to talk about something that can be done via skype

2. dont waste weeks or months giving people fancy name badges and titles.. just throw them a github, lighthouse, a skype username and tell them to go do something

3. paid memberships should be removed.. making it free to be a member.
then anyone can submit a project and have collaboration and support just by talking to each other
and if they want funding.. members can crowdsource them directly, (voting with bitcoin) that way the more votes they get then obviously the more bitcoin they get as its one in the same.
that way members know exactly where their funds are going to because they are the ones giving it (think lighthouse)

4. the foundation should be more of a directory, business listing, resource repository, which is the main go-to-place, not some 'Governor' making orders.. but where things happen and no actual need of 'board members'(office dwelling pen pushers).

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2015, 02:59:54 AM

Wouldn't it be cool if you could vote on that agenda? It's a reasonable proposition and it should be debated. That's my overall point. Either make this possible or kill the thing. In terms of the audit, I feel it's the only way to save the org. It is impossible to continue operations with the past unexplored and potential criminal conduct floating around.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 1418

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 03:31:56 AM

instead just grab all the bitcoin and fiat the foundation has and declare the past the past..

by this i mean there is no point asking a group of 2 dozen people to get together, paying travel accomodation, food and catering. just to talk about something that can be done via skype

2. dont waste weeks or months giving people fancy name badges and titles.. just throw them a github, lighthouse, a skype username and tell them to go do something

then anyone can submit a project and have collaboration and support just by talking to each other
and if they want funding.. members can crowdsource them directly, (voting with bitcoin) that way the more votes they get then obviously the more bitcoin they get as its one in the same.
that way members know exactly where their funds are going to because they are the ones giving it (think lighthouse)

4. the foundation should be more of a directory, business listing, resource repository, which is the main go-to-place, not some 'Governor' making orders.. but where things happen and no actual need of 'board members'(office dwelling pen pushers).

Franky for pres!

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 04:29:42 AM

Franky for pres!

tokeweed for vice!
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 04:30:13 AM

Wouldn't it be cool if you could vote on that agenda? It's a reasonable proposition and it should be debated. That's my overall point. Either make this possible or kill the thing. In terms of the audit, I feel it's the only way to save the org. It is impossible to continue operations with the past unexplored and potential criminal conduct floating around.

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/transparency/

I've been waiting for TBF to release their "transparent" 2014 tax filings since spring of this year, dedicating a thread to the endeavor: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1095310.0

I was just about to pen a new thread on the subject upon reading http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-12-30/the-final-days-of-the-bitcoin-foundation- but I see that Charles beat me to the punch. Nice blog post, BTW, Charles. And please, don't upload anybody more videos of you talking. I have a very hard time pulling away from such, just like when viewing Andreas Antonopoulos speaking.  Kiss Kiss Kiss
Pab
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1012

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 04:33:32 AM

Fortunetly bitcoin  foundation is  bankrupt.Thay have dump all his bitcoin.There is bitcoin embassy now in Europe.Thay are doing totally nothing..Propably thay have some grants from EU

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 04:39:15 AM
Last edit: December 31, 2015, 05:34:37 AM by franky1

last i checked bitcoin foundation moved to the UK in 2014.. and thus there wont be a 2014 american IRS record for them, just a 2013

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 06:20:43 AM

last i checked bitcoin foundation moved to the UK in 2014.. and thus there wont be a 2014 american IRS record for them, just a 2013

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/transparency/

That makes sense. That also explains why TBF has had the above on their website since January of 2015, because they moved to Europe on January 1, 2014, thus don't have to file taxes any longer in the US.  Roll Eyes Now, if they were still based in the US on January 2, 2014, then they would have to file if their calendar year is based on the Gregorian calendar we mortals currently use.

I guess that also explains away why the following pages are no longer available to be viewed:

https://bitcoin4.bitcoinfoundation.org/static/2014/05/Bitcoin-2013-990-PDC.pdf

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/2012-990EZ-IRS-Bitcoin-Foundation-.pdf

From The Wayback Machine because The Bitcoin Foundation felt it prudent to remove the original from its website: http://web.archive.org/web/20150407230759/https://blog.bitcoinfoundation.org/the-facts-about-the-bitcoin-foundation/

The above being the final straw for me, thus SHUT THE MOTHERFUCKER DOWN!
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 06:30:51 AM

i said years ago not to have a "foundation" but more of a "consortium".

but no.. some of them guys just wanted to look smart by having glorified titles, doing no work that benefits others..

then brock came on the scene and sucked them private keys dry, before moving to the UK to rinse and repeat it with BTC foundation 2.0

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 06:14:17 PM

Bruce Fenton: Please donate to The Bitcoin Foundation and we promise to disclose our 2014 tax filing sometime in 2016 because of our full transparency thingy we have in place. Meanwhile, please stop spreading FUD about TBF being bankrupt. All that matters is that TBF has done great things for the Bitcoin community like doling out a million dollars to put on the Amsterdam conference. Speaking of, will the dude who stole my hookah kindly return it?

"I am Marshall Long, and I approve this post, Brothers. BTW, this is my hookah that I've owned since 2009 when me and two friends started mining bitcoins for fun and to protect the network."
GetClams.com

Activity: 179
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 07:36:07 PM

Too much damage has been done and with only about $12k left, its over. IMHO
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 09:29:09 PM

We don't need the Bitcoin Foundation.
The attempt of Brock Pierce to repare it's reputation is a waste of time imo
and will burn more money which can be used more reasonable.
I see absolutely no reason for this thing to exist.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 10:06:52 PM

We don't need the Bitcoin Foundation.
The attempt of Brock Pierce to repare it's reputation is a waste of time imo
and will burn more money which can be used more reasonable.
I see absolutely no reason for this thing to exist.

i agree the current conception of the foundation is not needed..

but imagine something completely different.

a forum-esq platform. where it links businesses, programmers, idea's together, where people can make crowdfunding proposals, or labour sourcing proposals, and also includes the tutorial, development courses and howto guides all in one place.... without the trolling and sig-campaigns this forum is bloating with.

where each 'topic' has a IRC chatlink so people can informally discuss it and only use the forum posts for more official information.

imagine it like combining this forum, with lighthouse(kickstarter) with each topic having an IRC chatroom.. where the forum topics and categories are organised and more professional..

charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2015, 10:55:04 PM

i agree the current conception of the foundation is not needed..

I think there is extremely strong consensus in the Bitcoin community about this opinion, which is why I stated after an audit the community ought to make proposals for a new form of Foundation.
but imagine something completely different.

I always get excited when I read a sentence like this one.

a forum-esq platform. where it links businesses, programmers, idea's together

Three questions:

• 1) Where are the businesses and programmers going to be sourced from?
  • 2) Define ideas more concretely. It's a very vague term.
  • 3) Do you have an example platform in mind already? Something like Bitcointalk or more like stackexchange or Quora? Would we need to build this from the ground up or is there something we could use?

where people can make crowdfunding proposals

So there is a fundraising component? What do you have in mind? Something like debating the merit of an idea or the actual mechanics of sourcing funds? Is this a full funding stack or is a line drawn somewhere?

or labour sourcing proposals,

I assume there is an implicit notion of funding the labor via some new, creative and cool means?

and also includes the tutorial, development courses and howto guides all in one place.... without the trolling and sig-campaigns this forum is bloating with.

An education component is extremely welcome and something I have argued for three years. MOOCs, youtube videos and tutorials are high impact and low cost to make. Meetup groups make excellent distribution and curation engines.

where each 'topic' has a IRC chatlink so people can informally discuss it and only use the forum posts for more official information.

So there is a hierarchy of information flow. A topic and then a flow of conversation about the topic. I suppose it's like a stackexchange model where one has a question and then there are answers (your forum post idea) and then some connection to a chat service where discussions are had around the topic that won't necessarily be preserved.

imagine it like combining this forum, with lighthouse(kickstarter) with each topic having an IRC chatroom.. where the forum topics and categories are organised and more professional..

So you're talking about a more effective platform to manage a decentralized community, vet their ideas and get good ones funded. I'd also love to see a memory in a sense of ideas that have been explored and tried. This notion extends before the founding of Bitcoin. Many of the cipherpunk ideas from the 80s are being revisited with our new technology and still have great merit. It's evident when you look at the Nakamoto Institute's reading list.

I really like what you're on to and its an example of what happens when you say ok let's try to have a meaningful discussion about solving problems instead of just complaining about them. So say you wanted to do this, what would be the next step?

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 11:22:06 PM

3) Do you have an example platform in mind already? Something like Bitcointalk or more like stackexchange or Quora? Would we need to build this from the ground up or is there something we could use?

I'd say build it from the ground up. It should only cost about a million dollars if we use the same team who theymos hired to build this $1.5M BitcoinTalk forum we're currently enjoying. Perhaps, they can carryover some of this code to what's envisioned. (apologies if this post is delayed due to the forum going dark a third time this week)

/s
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2015, 11:23:41 PM

Bruno you do bring up a very valid point about execution and accountability. These skills are among the most lacking in the space.

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 11:51:39 PM
Last edit: January 01, 2016, 12:07:54 AM by franky1

Three questions:

• 3) Do you have an example platform in mind already? Something like Bitcointalk or more like stackexchange or Quora? Would we need to build this from the ground up or is there something we could use?

So there is a fundraising component? What do you have in mind? Something like debating the merit of an idea or the actual mechanics of sourcing funds? Is this a full funding stack or is a line drawn somewhere?

I assume there is an implicit notion of funding the labor via some new, creative and cool means?

and also includes the tutorial, development courses and howto guides all in one place.... without the trolling and sig-campaigns this forum is bloating with.

An education component is extremely welcome and something I have argued for three years. MOOCs, youtube videos and tutorials are high impact and low cost to make. Meetup groups make excellent distribution and curation engines.

So there is a hierarchy of information flow. A topic and then a flow of conversation about the topic. I suppose it's like a stackexchange model where one has a question and then there are answers (your forum post idea) and then some connection to a chat service where discussions are had around the topic that won't necessarily be preserved.

So you're talking about a more effective platform to manage a decentralized community, vet their ideas and get good ones funded. I'd also love to see a memory in a sense of ideas that have been explored and tried. This notion extends before the founding of Bitcoin. Many of the cipherpunk ideas from the 80s are being revisited with our new technology and still have great merit. It's evident when you look at the Nakamoto Institute's reading list.

I really like what you're on to and its an example of what happens when you say ok let's try to have a meaningful discussion about solving problems instead of just complaining about them. So say you wanted to do this, what would be the next step?

well my idea is just in its infantsy..and just an idea at that.. but it would be a hybrid bringing a forum-esq, youtube-esq, github repository, litehouse, irc, even googledocs all into one platform.

maybe not github/docs within the platform, but atleast the ability to link it in a manner that is standardized so that people are not searching for hours. as its part of each proposal.

i cant exactly imagine the final design right now.. but if all the tools are in one place and membership is free, where people only pay for projects they want to see or be part of.. then it would be more about having the platform there to let it grow naturally by how the users interact, rather than some governing system limiting real world actions by having meetings just once a month or limiting to only a few proposals to vote on..

leaving it open to anyone who wants to do anything. where people can request help or funding or even just idea's, and yes even having the reddit/stack exchange/quora upvote-downvote thing where people can show free appreciation for certain topics, thus keeping the most valid stuff ontop.

EG say 3 people propose to make a conference. each laying out the cost of hiring the hall, cost to cover speakers travel/hotel and suggestions as to how the profits from tickets will be split.

people can pay a litehouse (crowdfund) to help fund it if they chose to, but also they can upvote for free the most desireable conference. that way the most popular locations sit at the top of the list.

ofcourse anyone wanting to get funding will need to be transparent about who they are and the funds may even need to be released in phases as proof of progress is shown..

again still imagining it.. but it would need to be user-centric rather then chairman governed.

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 12:28:17 AM

Bruno you do bring up a very valid point about execution and accountability. These skills are among the most lacking in the space.

Yep! My IQ went up three points after I started giving myself eggnog enemas on an hourly basis.

Back on topic, I nominate Marshall Long to be any new entity its President since he's been mining bitcoins since 2009, and Leroy Fodor, also mining since 2009, as Treasurer since his StakeMiners Ponzi accounting is bar none, perhaps due to him earning his B.B.A. from Ohio University in Athens, Ohio, later owning, then selling his toilet cleaning business in the Carolinas, and selling off his Forex practice portfolio to move to the Philippines where he owned the largest bitcoin mining farm powered by a west-facing solar array on a hot tin roof surrounded on three sides by coconut trees. Marshall Long currently has the 4th largest mining farm in all of North America, thus he'll probably forgo a salary for being President just like he opted to not get paid while acting as Cryptsy's CTO while introducing a clone of the exchange to China even though Paul Vernon denies such to be the case.

I further suggest that Leo Iruke (FinalHash; Marshall Long's partner) be lead counsel for the new foundation.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 12:53:57 AM

Three questions:

well my idea is just in its infantsy..and just an idea at that.. but it would be a hybrid bringing a forum-esq, youtube-esq, github repository, litehouse, irc, even googledocs all into one platform.

maybe not github/docs within the platform, but atleast the ability to link it in a manner that is standardized so that people are not searching for hours. as its part of each proposal.

i cant exactly imagine the final design right now.. but if all the tools are in one place and membership is free, where people only pay for projects they want to see or be part of.. then it would be more about having the platform there to let it grow naturally by how the users interact, rather than some governing system limiting real world actions by having meetings just once a month or limiting to only a few proposals to vote on..

leaving it open to anyone who wants to do anything. where people can request help or funding or even just idea's, and yes even having the reddit/stack exchange/quora upvote-downvote thing where people can show free appreciation for certain topics, thus keeping the most valid stuff ontop.

EG say 3 people propose to make a conference. each laying out the cost of hiring the hall, cost to cover speakers travel/hotel and suggestions as to how the profits from tickets will be split.

people can pay a litehouse (crowdfund) to help fund it if they chose to, but also they can upvote for free the most desireable conference. that way the most popular locations sit at the top of the list.

ofcourse anyone wanting to get funding will need to be transparent about who they are and the funds may even need to be released in phases as proof of progress is shown..

again still imagining it.. but it would need to be user-centric rather then chairman governed.

Word!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: