Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:05:03 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Halving already 100% priced in! Would you buy or sell now?  (Read 3192 times)
disclaimer201 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 03:52:01 PM

Read in several threads that mining would still be profitable for most miners if price wouldn't change at all when halving kicks in.

Until today I was absolutely sure the price would go up long before summer but apart from the psychological factor and the entire community awaiting an increase there is no reason this would happen. Were we all wrong? Ever since the first halving new coins hitting the market play only a minor role (no role at all anymore for BTC pricing). So why would the price go up?

I don't know about you but perhaps this isn't the time for coin accumulation after all. 430 is too low to sell and too high to buy imo.
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 04:06:39 PM

Odd question from a legendary member.  You really need us to tell you to buy or sell?
smith coins

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 04:11:02 PM

Read in several threads that mining would still be profitable for most miners if price wouldn't change at all when halving kicks in.

Until today I was absolutely sure the price would go up long before summer but apart from the psychological factor and the entire community awaiting an increase there is no reason this would happen. Were we all wrong? Ever since the first halving new coins hitting the market play only a minor role (no role at all anymore for BTC pricing). So why would the price go up?

I don't know about you but perhaps this isn't the time for coin accumulation after all. 430 is too low to sell and too high to buy imo.

430 is too low to sell and too high to buy, then whats the best solution for this case!
The price should go up because the reward for the block will be cut by 50% and maybe the block size issue by that time will be solved.
mobnepal
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 04:20:13 PM

Only reward cutting half will not be able to make price to get pump as new coin will be smaller portion of the already mined and almost sold coins from miners. People sentiment and hope may play some role so i will not be expecting price to get over 500 within halving or before it.

I suggest only to do day trade as the straight uptrend of months seems to get stucked from novemeber and december.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 04:31:21 PM

the key factor is the diff, if the diff increase too much before the halving, this price will not be sustainable

right now the ratio between the earning and consumption is 6:1, before was 8:1, so you see it increase pretty fast, 20% each month at least

at this rate, the final earning will be very minimal
wildan88
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1046

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 05:59:29 PM

I will sell and then wait for price drops and then buy as much as possible and wait for halving occurs Smiley

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
mtnsaa
Legendary

Activity: 1568

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 06:05:16 PM

I think that if all remains the same, the price SHOULD go up, that's a fact since mining won't be as profitable therefore less BTC will be available every day that passes. However in these types of periods is where we will see if Bitcoin has actual demand and if a price of close to $1000 or more would be viable and not ridiculous. If it is, then the sky is the limit since there's a fixed amount of BTC so all our dreams will come true, value will continue to rise. The problem I see is that Bitcoin it is still just and investment, no common person needs it for anything and it's still far too complicated to be adopted by common folks, so I don't think demand will be huge after the halving if Bitcoin development can't evolve.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1016

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 06:39:07 PM

I would hold what I have and accumulate more.
Simple and easy to answer from my point of view.Even a disappointing halving would not destroy Bitcoin.
And just because everybody believes we will see more rise doesn't mean it won't happen.
It's the first I read a Legendary's post under the assumption he seems to fear the halving.That's weird!
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 06:54:15 PM

If there is not reason for the price to climb after the halving, there is also no reason for the price to fall.

I would sit tight on my coins (I'm doing this) and wait for the natural growth of bitcoin, which is going to happen unrelated to the halving anyway.
terman45x

Activity: 840

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 07:04:35 PM

after halving mining won't profitable anymore if price doesn't increase,I think price will hit 1000$ before halving so bitcoin is still a good investment
Pab
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1012

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 07:05:55 PM

You see halving like only one reason for btc price increase If it is only one reason btc have to move above 600$ and comeback to 400$

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
winspiral
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1026

Free WSPU2 Token or real dollars

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2016, 07:16:22 PM

I do nothing...the market has already regulated it...
halving can only help to increase the price...it's logic.

The problem will be for the miners...now it is 25 + 1 = 26 BTC (or so)(1 btc from transactions)
after we will have 12.5 +1.5 = 14 (or so)

it will be interesting to see how the miners will mine.
I'm impatient to see.

disclaimer201 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 08:17:19 PM

Simple and easy to answer from my point of view.Even a disappointing halving would not destroy Bitcoin.
And just because everybody believes we will see more rise doesn't mean it won't happen.
It's the first I read a Legendary's post under the assumption he seems to fear the halving.That's weird!

Like I said, until recently I was convinced the price would skyrocket in 2016. But as some forum members have explained Bitcoin is unpredictable and if everone and their mother think it will go up, it might do something completely different.

I also believe it will go up a bit, but will it shoot up to the ATH? Mining has little to no effect on the price anymore.

Just because I'm Legendary doesn't mean I'm always bullish (though usually I am). But I'm beginning to doubt a bit if what everyone hopes for will actually happen. For a price increase we will need to see more than the halving, more adoption or good news like the recent European Court of Justice ruling.

I agree with everyone here who would hold their coins even if nothing happens to the price. But I don't think I will buy more coins at or above 400-430 right now.
notaek
Legendary

Activity: 1268
Merit: 1009

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2016, 08:34:35 PM

It's a bit controversial here. Those who view the block reward halving as a milestone in Bitcoin’s journey of struggle and triumph will have a lot to celebrate. The block reward only gets cut in half after a certain amount of the total supply has been mined. Therefore, the only way this halving will continue is if miners continue to hash out blocks. And what is the only way to ensure the mining process continues? Bitcoin’s relevance is the key to this question; i,e. miners will only continue mining if there is a profit to be made from Bitcoin, which means people have to use and value the digital currency. Thus, a block size halving signifies that Bitcoin is still relevant, and it remained relevant for a significant amount of time.

Speculators, on the other hand, probably won’t have much to celebrate when the halving comes. These people think the price will skyrocket when the block reward diminishes. On the surface, that belief really makes sense. Supply shrinks relative to demand, so the price goes up. However, that isn’t exactly how the halving works. The actual supply will not decrease, rather, the rate of growth will slow. The supply, the amount of coins in existence, will still grow continuously. Thus, there is nothing about the halving to lead us to say with certainty that demand will outstrip supply and send the price soaring.

For the price to rise in response to the halving, demand will still have to overcome the amount of coins already in existence, in addition to the new coins being mined — even though they are being mined at a slower rate. In order for the price to really go up, demand would have to rise constantly while the growth in supply slows, until the growth in demand surpasses growth in supply. That doesn’t seem likely right now, though, since the price has remained fairly constant for almost a year — indicating that Bitcoiners are in some sort of holding pattern with their valuations.

So lets wait for the final results of our speculation whether we can celebrate the halving event or not.

lexuz

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Me, myself and I

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 08:35:27 PM

I agree with everyone here who would hold their coins even if nothing happens to the price. But I don't think I will buy more coins at or above 400-430 right now.
agreed,would be better to see where price will goes. like you said if buy bitcoin now at the price around $400-$430 it will risk to get lost when price drop.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2016, 08:56:18 PM

Personally I do not think the halving has been priced in yet at current prices. Bitcoin is still well above the 200 week SMA which is at $260 today. I think we may see $400 once again and I would be a buyer at that level. I am optimistic for 2016 and expect to see $690 later in the year.

abs350

Activity: 481
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2016, 09:00:13 PM

Everything is priced in, the halving, the block size scalability issues, etc - since these things were known about from the beginning - but the price always goes up. Thats very bullish signal.

DIAGON  e S p o r t s       Global decentralize eSports ecosystem
JAP CN SPN RU   WHITEPAPER  ]   ICO ❱ ❱  Nov. 12 th
facebook    TWITTER    reddit     ────   (   B U Y   )   ────
BTC_Grinch

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 09:04:52 PM

Like I said, until recently I was convinced the price would skyrocket in 2016. But as some forum members have explained Bitcoin is unpredictable and if everone and their mother think it will go up, it might do something completely different.

I also believe it will go up a bit, but will it shoot up to the ATH? Mining has little to no effect on the price anymore.

Just because I'm Legendary doesn't mean I'm always bullish (though usually I am). But I'm beginning to doubt a bit if what everyone hopes for will actually happen. For a price increase we will need to see more than the halving, more adoption or good news like the recent European Court of Justice ruling.

Maybe your overthinking is the thing that'll get you, maybe not. I'm not an expert and I don't think there is a soothsayer who knows it all. My advice is to stay calm and hold/accumulate more coins. 430 dollars is a bargain really.
abs350

Activity: 481
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2016, 09:13:28 PM

Just because the price is going up doesnt mean it goes up every day. Some day there will be crashes it's just a normal market. So just be relaxed and dont check the price too often. Also sure buy some more coins still we are below 1/2 of the ATH.

DIAGON  e S p o r t s       Global decentralize eSports ecosystem
JAP CN SPN RU   WHITEPAPER  ]   ICO ❱ ❱  Nov. 12 th
facebook    TWITTER    reddit     ────   (   B U Y   )   ────
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2101
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2016, 09:38:25 PM
Last edit: January 01, 2016, 10:11:10 PM by afbitcoins

Time to accumulate was the past several months when bitcoin was below $300, this is the time to HODL

edit :

or accumulate then HODL if you were too late or afraid to get the bargain prices for most of last year

I disagree halving has been priced already. I think price was too low after last bubble collapse, ability to short bitcoin helped push it even lower still, and then fears over blocksize and fork also put a lid on it. Rises we are seeing now are nothing yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: