Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:08:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can bitcoin be copyrighted?  (Read 4571 times)
farlack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 04:27:59 AM

I'm selling generic label Electronic Cigarettes, but I can brand them. I'm thinking of using the bitcoin B's to incorporate into the logo/design/name somehow. It will help spread the word of BTC to smokers.

Before I do so, I want to make sure I'm not going to be sued down the road..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
laughingbear
Deflationary champion

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

www.cryptobetfair.com

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2012, 04:41:09 AM

After reading your post, i went placed a copyright on the BTC as per used on anything that can possibly be inhaled. Thanks for the heads up. I would consider selling you a non-exclusive license that would allow you to use the BTC on your inhalable products for BTC2000 per year.

I would also be willing to accept a lesser sum of you telling me to fuck off, and that you are just going to use the BTC as your logo.

P.S.  I also offer my amateur legal services for 55BTC per hour.  Let me know.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 04:50:36 AM

I'm selling generic label Electronic Cigarettes, but I can brand them. I'm thinking of using the bitcoin B's to incorporate into the logo/design/name somehow. It will help spread the word of BTC to smokers.

Well, there's never been any claim brought to the community that the B with two vertical lines has been registered as a trademark symbol,     That doesn't mean every raster or vector art image using it can be copied though.    

Here are some promotional graphics, and some of them have sources listed in the references at the bottom.
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Promotional_graphics

i.e., you're probably safe using any of those.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

salfter

Activity: 651
Merit: 501

My PGP Key: 92C7689C

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2012, 04:52:44 AM

I think the legal concept to which you intended to refer was trademark, not copyright.  As to whether anyone has sought to register any Bitcoin-related trademarks, I don't know.  I somewhat doubt it, but I could be wrong. You'd want to have an IP lawyer look that up for you before proceeding further.  IANAL, YMMV, etc. etc. etc.

Just as an aside, if I had a trademark of any sort and found someone was misappropriating it to put on cancer sticks, I'd be more than a little bit pissed off. Getting a lawyer involved would be a good idea if a potential Bitcoin trademark holder were to be of a similar opinion.

Tipjars: BTC 1TipsGocnz2N5qgAm9f7JLrsMqkb3oXe2 LTC LTipsVC7XaFy9M6Zaf1aGGe8w8xVUeWFvR | My Bitcoin Note Generator | Pool Auto-Switchers: zpool MiningPoolHub NiceHash
Bitgem Resources: Pool Explorer Paper Wallet
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2012, 04:52:47 AM

I thought I saw when it was published in the forum and that the person who made it put it in the public domain.

That would make it fair game.  (And if it somehow wasn't, I still don't think the author would mind.  It's on the side of NEFT Vodka)

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2012, 04:54:09 AM

The most common logo seen is released under "public domain" license:

https://bitcointalk.org/?topic=1756.0

The original Bitcoin logo/icon was released with the client under an MIT license.
farlack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 05:34:06 AM

I think the legal concept to which you intended to refer was trademark, not copyright.  As to whether anyone has sought to register any Bitcoin-related trademarks, I don't know.  I somewhat doubt it, but I could be wrong. You'd want to have an IP lawyer look that up for you before proceeding further.  IANAL, YMMV, etc. etc. etc.

Just as an aside, if I had a trademark of any sort and found someone was misappropriating it to put on cancer sticks, I'd be more than a little bit pissed off. Getting a lawyer involved would be a good idea if a potential Bitcoin trademark holder were to be of a similar opinion.

Thank you, trademark is probably more appropriate of what I'm looking for.
As for cancer sticks, ecigs are not cancer sticks they don't have any of the toxins cigarettes have with the exception of nicotine, half of what's in the liquid is in food.

And thanks to everyone else who replied, I think I'm satisfied with the responses.
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2012, 06:13:58 AM

Lawyer Trying To Trademark Bitcoin Threatens Techdirt With Bogus DMCA Takedown
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110719/00513815159/lawyer-trying-to-trademark-bitcoin-threatens-techdirt-with-bogus-dmca-takedown.shtml
salfter

Activity: 651
Merit: 501

My PGP Key: 92C7689C

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2012, 04:43:18 PM

Shades of the Linux trademark kerfuffle?  There was no DMCA back in 1997, but there was a jackwagon who tried appropriating "Linux" as his own so he could extort fees from distributors. 

Tipjars: BTC 1TipsGocnz2N5qgAm9f7JLrsMqkb3oXe2 LTC LTipsVC7XaFy9M6Zaf1aGGe8w8xVUeWFvR | My Bitcoin Note Generator | Pool Auto-Switchers: zpool MiningPoolHub NiceHash
Bitgem Resources: Pool Explorer Paper Wallet
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 07:55:17 AM

Shades of the Linux trademark kerfuffle?  There was no DMCA back in 1997, but there was a jackwagon who tried appropriating "Linux" as his own so he could extort fees from distributors. 

Ha ha ha the very nature of BTC makes it very hard to copyright. And how would you enforce a copyright? Sounds a bit like trying to enforce movie copyright to me Tongue

As for the logo, I don't think using it would be a problem... As long as you make it clear you are not representing BTC but just using the public domain logo.
Snipes777

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 08:36:14 PM

Bitcoin logos and their subsidiaries should all have a copyleft symbol to show that they can be used for free by as many as possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft

Voluntaryism- The belief that ALL human interactions should be free of force, fraud and coercion.
Taxation is Theft; War is Murder; Incarceration is Kidnapping; Spanking is Assault; Federal Reserve Notes are Counterfeiting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntaryism
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: