Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:08:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 22 Kids Stabbed At School In China  (Read 15543 times)
Bitware (OP)

Activity: 926
Merit: 1001

weaving spiders come not here

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 09:28:43 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z135WhHnlM8

there were guards at the school

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 03:59:22 PM

Thankfully, he could not get a gun. If ever there was an argument for gun control, this is it. In a timely manner, this event juxtaposes with the Connecticut shooting. Nobody was killed in this knife attack.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 05:08:13 PM

I can't believe in this day and age we allow people to have knives.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
FirstAscent

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 05:18:12 PM

They are a tool with utilitarian value. Just like cars. I can't believe you think your argument is any type of argument at all.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 05:29:54 PM

We should only allow those:
BlackBison

Activity: 250
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 05:41:43 PM

Knives have other practical uses besides killing...

RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 05:50:36 PM

Oh, like a say... a gun.  Grin

So the law should be that you may own things that have practical uses? This will finally put to an end the wearing of low rider jeans.

Just playing devils advocate here.

kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 06:13:01 PM

Thankfully, he could not get a gun. If ever there was an argument for gun control, this is it. In a timely manner, this event juxtaposes with the Connecticut shooting. Nobody was killed in this knife attack.

Seriously? you think Knives can not kill people? These are two completely different incidents, done by completely different people. If you had put a gun in the knife man's hand, I doubt he'll even injury as many, because he apparently did not learn how to kill effectively nor does he make any effort to make a kill. It's actually quite difficult in my opinion to stab 22 kids and not kill any one of them. I think he might not have even made any stab motion.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
FirstAscent

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 06:15:57 PM

Guns are for killing. Nothing else. Unlike cars, trains, planes, knives, axes and lawnmowers.

So the law should be that you may own things that have practical uses?

I would, in general, prefer a limit on devices whose sole purpose is killing. Art, flowers and pastries don't necessarily have practical uses, but I don't see any serious problems with them.

Then play it well, if you're going to do it at all.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 06:18:11 PM

Guns are for killing. Nothing else. Unlike cars, trains, planes, knives, axes and lawnmowers.

So what? What's wrong in killing someone in self-defense or hunting for animals to gather food?

Signature space available for rent.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2012, 06:29:15 PM

No. Guns are for projecting lead, usually copper-jacketed lead, at a point in the distance.

That poor defenseless watermelon. Murdered in it's prime.

Killing another human being is, statistically, the least significant use guns are put to.

There are many guns (possibly even most) which have never killed a human being. Almost all of the guns which have are property (or were at the time) of a government. There are, additionally, guns which, despite the relatively high number of times they have been used, have never killed anything, except possibly watermelons.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FirstAscent

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 06:32:59 PM

No. Guns are for projecting lead, usually copper-jacketed lead, at a point in the distance.

Killing another human being is, statistically, the least significant use guns are put to.

There are many guns (possibly even most) which have never killed another human being. Almost all of the guns which have are property (or were at the time) of a government. There are, additionally, guns which, despite the relatively high number of times they have been used, have never killed anything, except possibly watermelons.

So?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2012, 06:34:02 PM

There are many guns (possibly even most) which have never killed a human being. Almost all of the guns which have are property (or were at the time) of a government. There are, additionally, guns which, despite the relatively high number of times they have been used, have never killed anything, except possibly watermelons.

So?

So your argument is invalid.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FirstAscent

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 06:34:27 PM

There are many guns (possibly even most) which have never killed another human being. Almost all of the guns which have are property (or were at the time) of a government. There are, additionally, guns which, despite the relatively high number of times they have been used, have never killed anything, except possibly watermelons.

So?

In what way?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2012, 06:47:17 PM

So?

In what way?

You said that guns are for killing, and have no other purpose. I showed that guns, first off, do not have that purpose at all, unless given to them by the user (not the manufacturer). To quote William Gibson (from off his twitter feed, just now, @GreatDismal), A gun is like a very long, very fast temporary finger, but of very limited utility: instantly pokes a hole in a distant object.

That's all it does. Secondly, I showed that that distant object is almost never a person. Usually it's a piece of paper, or a fruit, or a milk jug full of water. Once in a while it's an animal.

So guns a) have a purpose which is not killing: Poke a hole in something far away, and b) are rarely used to poke holes in people, and c) almost never are they used by civilians to poke holes in people.

FirstAscent

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 06:59:25 PM

So?

In what way?

You said that guns are for killing, and have no other purpose. I showed that guns, first off, do not have that purpose at all, unless given to them by the user (not the manufacturer). To quote William Gibson (from off his twitter feed, just now, @GreatDismal), A gun is like a very long, very fast temporary finger, but of very limited utility: instantly pokes a hole in a distant object.

That's all it does. Secondly, I showed that that distant object is almost never a person. Usually it's a piece of paper, or a fruit, or a milk jug full of water. Once in a while it's an animal.

So guns a) have a purpose which is not killing: Poke a hole in something far away, and b) are rarely used to poke holes in people, and c) almost never are they used by civilians to poke holes in people.

So William Gibson is now spokesperson for why guns are manufactured?

So having devices which allow us to put holes in things at distances for recreational value is worth 12,000 lives per year? Do paintings kill 12,000 people per year? Does playing a violin put people in danger? Do R/C cars cause 12,000 people to lose their lives per year?

Your argument is desperate. Stupid. Comical. Pathetic. Without value.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2012, 07:04:48 PM

So?

In what way?

So having devices which allow us to put holes in things at distances for recreational value is worth 12,000 lives per year? Do paintings kill 12,000 people per year? Does playing a violin put people in danger? Do R/C cars cause 12,000 people to lose their lives per year?

In 2010, Automobile accidents claimed 32,885 lives. Is being able to travel at 70 miles per hour worth 32,000 lives per year?

myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2012, 07:12:15 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2012, 07:31:06 PM by myrkul

And no matter what you think of my argument, it does not change the fact that yours is invalid. If guns had only one purpose, to kill, then someone or something would die every time they are used. Since the vast majority of times a gun is used, nothing dies, your argument is invalid.

But please, continue. It's quite comical to watch you sputter.

RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 07:21:51 PM

So the law should be that you may own things that have practical uses?

I would, in general, prefer a limit on devices whose sole purpose is killing. Art, flowers and pastries don't necessarily have practical uses, but I don't see any serious problems with them.

Then play it well, if you're going to do it at all.

I went shooting this weekend. Put about 100rnds. through each of my assault rifles. But I must be doing it wrong because I didn't kill anything. In fact none of the guns I currently own have ever killed anything. With the exception of my CC weapon, they are for competitive shooting at targets.
I guess one equates guns with killing if you only know about them from crime reports on the news. I grew up shooting with friends and associate guns with fun times and friendly competition. The only "danger" we thought about was tripping and shooting yourself.  

As far as practical danger, art should definitely be banned. Art has lead to countless disruptions of the public order. It gives people ideas that can lead to violent change. It is simply not needed.

[/muahahaha]

malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 07:48:48 PM

Guns are only tools, you can ban them but you won't stop people from murdering each other with knives or screwdrivers.
UK is an example, even most knives are difficult to acquire and illegal to possess in a public place unless one has a good excuse (works as a butcher, etc.):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2236426/Former-civil-servant-killed-frail-pensioner-71-hammer-screwdriver-attack-falsifying-will.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-149856/Screwdriver-killing-Accused-hiding-man-attacked.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-16035128

And:

Knives most common weapon in youth murders

Signature space available for rent.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: