Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:47:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Pay On Target: New High variance payout System Offered by Ozcoin  (Read 36272 times)
Blaksmith

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2012, 10:43:43 PM

Hey Guys.
        So I decided to try out the new platform, been changing my difficulty around and such.  I did notice that cgminer is showing a best share of 9.1k vs ozcoins POT stats of 830.  Does the error in cgminer's 'best share' happen often, just one of those blips?  No rejected shares.

Thanks.

We have been tracking it down with Conman, and we think it is a cgminer bug at this point in time.

"Your future is whatever you make it, so make it a good one." Dr. Emmett Brown
Donations welcome: Bitcoin: 1BLAKSMTjnME4ZJX7VzzUyEgbQYLShvqgi Catcoin: 9aw3Ttiz5yMALUm2DUj748cCHYQLatwLPz Unobtanium: uh3bjJua71jFijmz1yAB89KM8mqJEbzrek
Pool owner of: geekhash.org

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
makngeerwork

Activity: 141

???

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 10:54:34 PM
Last edit: December 23, 2012, 11:16:49 PM by makngeerwork

Had a look at the cgminer thread, seems to be some sort of best share bug.  Restarted cgminer to try and repeat the problem, had a false reading again. I am ignoring cgm.  

Thanks.

This is why Ozcoin is best in class.

███    TWITTER   FLUX   WHITEPAPER  ███
███    WEBSITE   GAMING ECOSYSTEM        MEDIUM      ███
███  TELEGRAM  VALVE  UBISOFT  ██████ Origin  GAMELOFT      FACEBOOK   ███
philips

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 01:30:53 AM

Argh, this is really frustrating. I had several best shares (reported by cgminer) that never appeared in Ozcoin stats.
I just had one at 58.5k and the higher reported share is 278.

Few hours ago I had (at least) one at 61k, one at 40k and one at 980k, all of them lost...I mean come on, what´s the point?

Is cgminer still reporting false best shares...or something broken in between...?

(running cgminer 2.10.2 with the best share bug fixed)

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 01:38:58 AM

Argh, this is really frustrating. I had several best shares (reported by cgminer) that never appeared in Ozcoin stats.

Few hours ago I had (at least) one at 61k, one at 40k and one at 980k, all of them lost...I mean come on, what´s the point?

Is cgminer still reporting false best shares...or something broken in between...?

Alas the best share bug is NOT fixed, sorry.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Blaksmith

Activity: 189

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 01:40:51 AM

From what we can tell so far, that somewhere inside cgminer, it is setting it... I have been doing some personal tests following a share from when it arrives on the server to where it gets credited, and I have seen the best share go up on cg, but not see it even enter the stream on ozcoin.  Conman has also confirmed that as well.

"Your future is whatever you make it, so make it a good one." Dr. Emmett Brown
Donations welcome: Bitcoin: 1BLAKSMTjnME4ZJX7VzzUyEgbQYLShvqgi Catcoin: 9aw3Ttiz5yMALUm2DUj748cCHYQLatwLPz Unobtanium: uh3bjJua71jFijmz1yAB89KM8mqJEbzrek
Pool owner of: geekhash.org
philips

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 02:02:17 AM

Oh, OK thanks...at least I know what´s going on.
(crap, another false best share at 675k)

Is that fix from...the Unnamed one gonna solve the issue? (cgminer thread)
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 03:08:27 AM

Oh, OK thanks...at least I know what´s going on.
(crap, another false best share at 675k)

Is that fix from...the Unnamed one gonna solve the issue? (cgminer thread)
I'm investigating, but I will not be pulling in his code.
Should be fixed in git now.

-ck
philips

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 04:18:48 AM

@ckolivas

OK thanks, installed the latest git source tarball and see how it goes.
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 04:53:31 PM

I admit it, I didn't read all 6 or 7 pages of this.  It seems like a neat idea, but I don't follow the math.

I've been using this for almost 2 days now, give or take, and according to oz's POT stats page, I'm about 0.05BTC behind where I'd be if I was using PPS. 

Using the calculator on the first post, if you solve a block, or get the largest allowed share, your reward is:

POT Value    0.39800980 BTC

Yes, that's significantly larger than what you'd normally get, but it doesn't really seem like much for solving a block.  I get more by solving a block on my own p2pool node with NMC merged mining (at current BTC <--> NMC exchange rates)!

Am I missing something here?

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
philips

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 08:10:42 PM

@ckolivas

OK thanks, installed the latest git source tarball and see how it goes.

From what I see the issue is gone, no more false high shares since last night.

However, now I can see that higher shares are quite rare in fact, and the whole POT thing kinda lost its appeal to me.
I get that is about luck and gambling, but since I started I kept going and going downhill and occasionally higher shares were not enough to get me back on track.

Maybe I am not lucky enough or most likely not patient enough...but there is too little time left until my GPU rig is going to scrap to gamble with it.

So long, and thanks for all the fish, it was really fun though Smiley
Graet (OP)
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 09:13:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback and giving it a try guys Smiley
The trial period is not yet over and with the festive season upon us coders have been a little busy with non-Bitcoin related stuff.
We will assess the numbers and possibly tweak some more.

I also feel the cgminer incorrect best share in display has caused too much confusion - looking forward to next release Smiley

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
philips

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 09:20:06 PM

The trial period is not yet over and with the festive season upon us coders have been a little busy with non-Bitcoin related stuff.

I also feel the cgminer incorrect best share in display has caused too much confusion - looking forward to next release Smiley

I still think that this is a brilliant idea with a future.
Also, do you have any plans to implement this on your Litecoin pool (if possible) ?
Graet (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 09:44:03 PM

I still think that this is a brilliant idea with a future.
Also, do you have any plans to implement this on your Litecoin pool (if possible) ?

Thanks, I think the idea has merit too, we will persevere Smiley

Most focus has been on the Bitcoin pool, we are currently investigating ecoinpool or stratum with DGM and PPS for Litecoin, if we go with stratum it would be easy to implement this payout system too Smiley

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2012, 12:11:39 AM

New version of cgminer, 2.10.3 should finally have fixed the "best share" displayed bug  Roll Eyes. It also offers a Zero statistics button in the Display menu allowing people to reset stats.

-ck
Graet (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2012, 02:12:34 AM

Thinking about continuing trial and lowering a=0.8 to 0.75 or 0.7 reduces variance a little and raising cap to 5*D instead of 1.5*D

feedback welcome Smiley

mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile
December 26, 2012, 02:21:30 AM

Thinking about continuing trial and lowering a=0.8 to 0.75 or 0.7 reduces variance a little and raising cap to 5*D instead of 1.5*D

feedback welcome Smiley

I'd consider coming back if a stayed at 0.8 and the cap increased.  Lowering it lowers the max payout.

Honestly, though, with difficulty decreasing significantly for both btc and nmc, I'm leaning towards staying on p2pool for a while.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
Graet (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2012, 02:44:58 AM

feedback welcome Smiley

I'd consider coming back if a stayed at 0.8 and the cap increased.  Lowering it lowers the max payout.

Honestly, though, with difficulty decreasing significantly for both btc and nmc, I'm leaning towards staying on p2pool for a while.

M
cool, lowering lowers max payout but raises minimum payout, also increasing the cap will raise maximum payout.

I don't mind where people mine - there has been demand for a payout system based on difficulty of submitted share, we are trying to fill that demand, I have deliberately pointed out it is a high variance payout system and also called it "gambling " Smiley
Also with difficulty lowering and D being a number in the equation the rate per share will go up when difficulty next drops.
cheers
Graet

philips

View Profile
December 26, 2012, 03:19:37 AM

New version of cgminer, 2.10.3 should finally have fixed the "best share" displayed bug  Roll Eyes. It also offers a Zero statistics button in the Display menu allowing people to reset stats.

Wow, so there really is a Santa!
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2012, 04:18:20 AM

feedback welcome Smiley

M
The higher the cap goes, the more risk the pool takes. The miner's per share income drops ever so slightly when the cap is raised, but almost a non-noticeable amount. So really, the miners should have nothing against raising the cap, it's up to the pool op to decide how much risk to take. On the other hand though, the a value changes dramatically how much variance the miner is likely to see (and then how high the reward would be at the max cap). I'm quite happy with a high a and the cap being equal to difficulty since I'm actually unlikely to find a block at my hashrate, but others may see things differently Wink

-ck
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3508

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
December 26, 2012, 06:17:56 AM

feedback welcome Smiley

sounds good to me.

just as a fyi. running about 12% behind here, been on it since the 19th. sorta a slow slide downwards, as it was about 2-3 % under for the 1st few days. not complaining, just spouting figures.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: