Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:06:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Pay On Target: New High variance payout System Offered by Ozcoin  (Read 36272 times)
Graet (OP)
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 11:13:44 AM
Last edit: December 28, 2012, 04:16:12 AM by Graet

Pay On Target

In an effort to bring some fun back to mining
and offer a high variance reward system to those that like a gamble.
You get more for shares of higher difficulty, meaning you get a big reward if you're the block finder.

We are offering a unique NEW payout system:
 Pay On Target

where higher value shares are paid at a higher value following this formula

Code:
[(1-a)/(1-a*wd^(1-a)*X^(a-1))]*(wd*B/D)*(min(X,sd)/wd)^a
where
B = Block reward - Pool fee
D = current difficulty
X = cap, currently 5*DNEW
work difficulty = difficulty pool sends to miner (see variable difficulty)
share difficulty = difficulty or target of share submitted to pool after hashing
a = a variable currently set to 0.8 but share value will be capped at 5*D

Pay On Target Pool fee will be set at 2% NEW

As always over time everything should even out to a 98% PPS rate BUT there isn't much time till GPUs become unviable, it is possible to come out ahead if you are lucky.
So I will ask "do you feel lucky? well do ya?"

IMPORTANT: POT will only be available on stratum servers.
You WILL make a loss if attempting to mine on getwork/ecoinpool servers
Stratum mining node addresses listed on "Worker" page on site.
This is a Per Account setting - if you want to split miners over payout methods feel free to make a second account Smiley
Set Pay on Target radio button on User Account -> Pool Options

Who to blame
ckolivas/conman for the idea
organofcorti and Meni Rosenfeld for help and advice on the more technical aspects and formula.
Blaksmith for coding it
Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated Smiley
Me for thinking it could be fun, give our stratum servers a good loadtest and attract some miners to Ozcoin.

Please consider this an initial trial period, we have done many simulations but reserve the right to change parameters. Please check this thread for updates regularly. Once the
trial period is over no further adjustments should be needed Smiley

Best wishes and best of luck to all.
Graet

POT calculator, thanks to kano
http://tradebtc.net/potcalc.php

Note: No Merged Mining available on Stratum servers

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 11:14:05 AM
Last edit: December 26, 2012, 12:10:26 AM by ckolivas

A lot of this idea came out of the fact that people feel cheated if they're the block finder and get no more than any other share for submitting it, and that now that cgminer scrolls difficulty, people constantly ask "so are the higher shares worth more?". It also acts as a disincentive to people acting maliciously performing what's known as a withholding attack by not submitting the block solve. It also adds an incentive to people mining on the fringe of profitability that they might actually make a profit if their hardware is the one that is lucky at that time. Ultimately, it's just gambling and over the very long term leads to the same rewards as PPS, but you never know your luck...

Here's an example:
[2012-12-18 22:52:10] Accepted 0000aa69 Diff 98.5K/1 GPU 1 pool 0
That share was worth 0.01435750 BTC where the current PPS rate is 0.00000712, meaning that one share was worth more than 2000 shares. On the other hand, diff 1 shares are worth 1/5th of what the going PPS rate is.

Note that in cgminer, up to and including version 2.10.2, the "best share" value may be wrong whereas the per-share statistic is accurate. This should be fixed from 2.10.3 onwards.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 11:18:45 AM
Last edit: December 18, 2012, 11:59:33 AM by kano

I've been mining on it for 50 minutes and got a 51.7K/8 share in the first 6 minutes Cheesy
Edit: Correction Sad not 51.7K/8 - it was 2.25K/8 ... but still good Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Wave

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 12:12:08 PM

I'm in with my 1.21 Jiggawatts for a spin, what the heck ;-)

-Wave
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 12:17:32 PM

Awesome!  Grin
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 12:36:20 PM
Last edit: December 19, 2012, 12:16:06 PM by Meni Rosenfeld

high variance reward system
That is an understatement. With a=0.8 (or any a>0.5) the variance is infinite. Greater than the variance of solo mining. The distribution will be quite different though, you'll have a high chance to get moderate rewards, and a small chance to get very high rewards.

The variance quickly goes down when decreasing a past 0.5, though. To get the variance to be less than solo variance, you need a < D / (2D + work_difficulty). Edit: should be a < 1/2 - wd/(8D) (approximately).

A lot of this idea came out of the fact that people feel cheated if they're the block finder and get no more than any other share for submitting it, ... It also acts as a disincentive to people acting maliciously performing what's known as a withholding attack by not submitting the block solve.
The goals should be clarified because this is a very ineffective way to solve these problems. You could do the standard method of block finding fee, but it greatly increases the variance.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 12:40:00 PM

That is an understatement. With a=0.8 (or any a>0.5) the variance is infinite. Greater than the variance of solo mining. The distribution will be quite different though, you'll have a high chance to get moderate rewards, and a small chance to get very high rewards.

The variance quickly goes down when decreasing a past 0.5, though. To get the variance to be less than solo variance, you need a < D / (2D + work_difficulty).

A lot of this idea came out of the fact that people feel cheated if they're the block finder and get no more than any other share for submitting it, ... It also acts as a disincentive to people acting maliciously performing what's known as a withholding attack by not submitting the block solve.
The goals should be clarified because this is a very ineffective way to solve this problem. You could do the standard method of block finding fee, but it greatly increases the variance.
Correct me if I'm wrong (which I think I am Grin), but won't the payouts be substantially more for previous PPS users on the pool? Previously, we get paid a fixed fee per share no matter how high the difficulty is, but now we get paid the fixed fee + extra stipend based on the difficulty. I do agree on the high variance though.
Wave

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 12:56:07 PM

Feedback - On the POT stats page we need per share price.  I'm going to track every hour for a bit, but that would be nice.  I have been tracking more frequently for now.  Way over PPS, way under, and now trending slightly under.  Figure I'll run it 24 hours and see what the luck shows.

-Wave
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 12:57:29 PM
Last edit: December 18, 2012, 01:08:45 PM by Meni Rosenfeld

The variance quickly goes down when decreasing a past 0.5, though. To get the variance to be less than solo variance, you need a < D / (2D + work_difficulty).

The goals should be clarified because this is a very ineffective way to solve this problem. You could do the standard method of block finding fee, but it greatly increases the variance.
Correct me if I'm wrong (which I think I am Grin), but won't the payouts be substantially more for previous PPS users on the pool? Previously, we get paid a fixed fee per share no matter how high the difficulty is, but now we get paid the fixed fee + extra stipend based on the difficulty. I do agree on the high variance though.
It's not plus, it's instead. Note the (1-a) term in the payout formula; it means that for a share that is just barely valid (share_difficulty = work_difficulty) you would get just 20% of the normal payout (with a=0.8 ), and you'd need the share to be much more difficult than that to get near the normal payment. On the flip side, if your share happens to be very difficult, you could get for it more than the entire block reward.

This poses high variance for the pool, not just the miners. I don't think 3% fee will cut it. Maybe a=0.4 will be better.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 01:01:03 PM

It's note plus, it's instead. Note the (1-a) term in the payout formula; it means that for a share that is just barely valid (share_difficulty = work_difficulty) you would get just 20% of the normal payout (with a=0.8 ), and you'd need the share to be much more difficult than that to get near the normal payment. On the flip side, if your share happens to be very difficult, you could get for it more than the entire block reward.

This poses high variance for the pool, not just the miners. I don't think 3% fee will cut it. Maybe a=0.4 will be better.
Oops, didn't notice the (1-a). Now this would be like a lower variance solo mining, where you can end up getting ~20% of your regular PPS income to a lot more. Seems to be better than solo when you could end up with 0 though.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 01:05:19 PM

Feedback - On the POT stats page we need per share price.  I'm going to track every hour for a bit, but that would be nice.  I have been tracking more frequently for now.  Way over PPS, way under, and now trending slightly under.  Figure I'll run it 24 hours and see what the luck shows.

-Wave
That'll be the 3% fee PPS rate, but depending on the share difficulty you submit. Man I'm hoping that I get more 300k shares like the one I got a couple days ago.  Grin
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 01:05:43 PM

well this seems ot be the fairest payout system so far (no its not gambling, ur getting payed for ur work and not proportional/similiar), gl with it Smiley

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 01:10:25 PM

I guess I'm down under if the average share is below 5. Is that correct?  Huh
Wave

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 01:11:23 PM

Yup, understood.  But curious about trending.  I hear you on the share!  My last block solve was a 40M diff share!  Let me figure the payoff on that one...

-Wave
Graet (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 01:15:55 PM
Last edit: December 18, 2012, 01:35:49 PM by Graet

Please consider this an initial trial period, we have done many simulations but reserve the right to change parameters. Please check this thread for updates regularly. Once the
trial period is over no further adjustments should be needed Smiley

Sounds like we need to invoke this and reduce "a"
edited 1st post with some a = 0.5 samples

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
DutchBrat

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 01:19:53 PM

Can I use Hashpower.com on Stratum servers yet ?

That would be like gambling to the power of 10 !!!

I like it  Grin
Wave

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 01:22:52 PM

I guess I'm down under if the average share is below 5. Is that correct?  Huh

Does not appear that way:

I'm at 5021 shares, avg/ Dif 10.938 and payout is 0.03173515, or per share of 0.00000632.

-Wave
JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 01:25:54 PM

Jump off PoT and then hit a 143K share  Undecided

DutchBrat

Activity: 868

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 01:26:21 PM

Jump off PoT and then hit a 143K share  Undecided
The system is rigged I tell ya... Rigged !!!  Wink
Graet (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 01:38:42 PM

Moving to a = 0.5 while i look at more figures Cheesy
and 4% fee on advice

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: