Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:29:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mental illness is most likely a fiction  (Read 2614 times)
Rudd-O (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 08:55:48 PM

Child abusers can break a bone, but we would not call the child's broken bone an 'illness.'

Child abuse tends to break minds. The result is not mental illness, any more than a stab wound is a physical illness.

https://www.facebook.com/stefan.molyneux/posts/10151546940781679

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 09:00:25 PM

Child abusers can break a bone, but we would not call the child's broken bone an 'illness.'

Child abuse tends to break minds. The result is not mental illness, any more than a stab wound is a physical illness.

https://www.facebook.com/stefan.molyneux/posts/10151546940781679
You're the living proof of the opposite

fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 10:35:26 PM

maybe you should make another sockpuppet before you run out of list space. plus its always better to multi-ignore people.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 10:43:40 PM

My personal experience leads me to strongly believe that people can be mentally ill without having been abused, the same way they can be born blind or deaf or with any other disability.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 10:47:49 PM

Davout - Can you be more clear on exactly what your saying?   I am still trying to contempt his OP.
I sure could but can't be bothered

Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 10:51:22 PM

Davout - Can you be more clear on exactly what your saying?   I am still trying to contempt his OP.
I sure could but can't be bothered

I think Mike above actually did.  Thanks though.

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
Rudd-O (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 10:55:31 PM

My personal experience leads me to strongly believe that people can be mentally ill without having been abused, the same way they can be born blind or deaf or with any other disability.

Sup man, hope you're okay.

Modern science of mental health and neurology says otherwise -- in the vast majority if not all cases of mental illness (exception made for provable congenital defects affecting the brain), there is always an environmental trigger associated.  This is why there isn't a "schizophrenia gene" or a "psychopathy gene", but rather genes that make people propense to schizophrenia or psychopathy.

If you are interested in the topic, I suggest these conversation starters:

http://fdrurl.com/bib

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOScYBwMyAA <- this one in particular

http://reason.com/blog/2010/08/19/reasontv-three-ingredients-for <- famous neurologist

Stef has a few interviews with (inb4 "fringe!") well-known mental health professionals about the topic.  I suggest you take a look at these too.

Please do ignore the two other people in this thread -- they are attempting to sabotage this post by either provoking me or derailing the topic.  Some people just have virulent and abusive reactions to discussing the (pretty much taboo) topic of child abuse; I won't speculate as to why they do that, but you can see for yourself that they definitely do, right here.
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 11:00:01 PM

Is autism a mental illness?

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 11:01:04 PM

Modern science of mental health and neurology says otherwise -- in the vast majority if not all cases of mental illness (exception made for provable congenital defects affecting the brain), there is always an environmental trigger associated.  This is why there isn't a "schizophrenia gene", but rather genes that make people propense to schizophrenia.

Well of course... just like every time you flip a coin (exception made for all the times it lands tails) it lands heads!

Congenital means you're born with it.  Some people have mental illness resulting from congenital defects affecting the brain, just like you said.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Rudd-O (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 11:02:16 PM

Is autism a mental illness?

It's so not a mental illness, that it's being phased out from the DSM in the DSM-V.  They're eliminating it and inventing a whole new category of "mental condition" called "Autism spectrum disorder", lumping "aspies" and profound autist children in a single category.

Psychology / psychiatry are by and large not sciences.  They are not evidence based.

Note that I'm not saying "autistic children have nothing wrong with them" above.
Rudd-O (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 11:03:19 PM

Modern science of mental health and neurology says otherwise -- in the vast majority if not all cases of mental illness (exception made for provable congenital defects affecting the brain), there is always an environmental trigger associated.  This is why there isn't a "schizophrenia gene", but rather genes that make people propense to schizophrenia.

Well of course... just like every time you flip a coin (exception: all the times it lands tails) it lands heads!

Congenital means you're born with it.  Some people have mental illness resulting from congenital defects affecting the brain, just like you said.

I would love to have a conversation about the research exposed in the videos with you.  I understand they are very long, so I don't expect any kind of immediate feedback, but rest assured I would still love to have a conversation about it in a few days.
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 11:06:22 PM

I love a guy that does exactly what he says other do to him and topics he responds or creates.  I am glad to find out that I am not the only one who feels Rudd-O is really rough when he responds.

Now to your point to stay on topic - Yes, I agree many mental illnesses are created by environmentally conditions, I would even say the majority (large majority).  I don't want to go on about this but I will leave it that our modern society has some very counter-productive messages that start with what the parents were taught as children up those each step of contact we make through society, schooling, media, peer-groups and straight-up propaganda.  

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 11:37:31 PM

They are not evidence based.
Same goes for math : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axiom

evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 11:46:57 PM
Last edit: December 18, 2012, 11:57:21 PM by evolve

Welp, time to tell all those skizophrenics that there really are leprachauns telling them to burn things...

Who knew?
matthewh3
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 11:48:14 PM

Sup man, hope you're okay.

Modern science of mental health and neurology says otherwise -- in the vast majority if not all cases of mental illness (exception made for provable congenital defects affecting the brain), there is always an environmental trigger associated.  This is why there isn't a "schizophrenia gene" or a "psychopathy gene", but rather genes that make people propense to schizophrenia or psychopathy.

If you are interested in the topic, I suggest these conversation starters:

http://fdrurl.com/bib

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOScYBwMyAA <- this one in particular

http://reason.com/blog/2010/08/19/reasontv-three-ingredients-for <- famous neurologist

Stef has a few interviews with (inb4 "fringe!") well-known mental health professionals about the topic.  I suggest you take a look at these too.

Please do ignore the two other people in this thread -- they are attempting to sabotage this post by either provoking me or derailing the topic.  Some people just have virulent and abusive reactions to discussing the (pretty much taboo) topic of child abuse; I won't speculate as to why they do that, but you can see for yourself that they definitely do, right here.

The current research is that schizophrenia is caused part genetic and part behavioural reasons.  Proved by the reasons that mental health problems can be heritable and by the fact when identical twins are born and one develops schizophrenia.  That the other twin is only 50:50 likely to develop schizophrenia as well.

Activity: 756

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 12:00:12 AM

well that guy's usually right. and I met him

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Rudd-O (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 01:34:06 AM

Welp, time to tell all those skizophrenics that there really are leprachauns telling them to burn things...

Who knew?

You know, I try to be pleasant... http://youtu.be/KLODu02R_gA?t=16m15s

I'd appreciate you actually participating in the conversation rather than making a mockery out of a very serious topic that affects millions of people.  But if you can't, please do disrupt the conversation once again, so I can file you in my ignore list.
evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 01:54:18 AM

No, I think I'd rather mock you for your stupid beliefs some more.

You're correct, this is a very serious and important issue. Millions of people suffer from mental illnesses, and your contention that their illnesses don't exist is borderline offensive. More importantly, the lack of recognition and treatment of these illnesses leads to tragedies like the Aurora theater shooting and the Connecticut school shooting. You are simply adding to the stigma that mental health treatment already has.

Basically, you are part of the problem.

myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 02:04:46 AM

No, I think I'd rather mock you for your stupid beliefs some more.

You're correct, this is a very serious and important issue. Millions of people suffer from mental illnesses, and your contention that their illnesses don't exist is borderline offensive. More importantly, the lack of recognition and treatment of these illnesses leads to tragedies like the Aurora theater shooting and the Connecticut school shooting. You are simply adding to the stigma that mental health treatment already has.

Basically, you are part of the problem.

He's not denying that the conditions exist. What he is denying is that they are illnesses. A more accurate term would be injury.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 03:03:29 AM

He's not denying that the conditions exist. What he is denying is that they are illnesses. A more accurate term would be injury.

how is that even relevant as long as he doesnt point out what implications that distinction should have, in his opinion?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: