Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 01:40:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MemoryDealers.com founder Roger Ver abuses admin access at Blockchain.info  (Read 28707 times)
BlackHeartFund

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 11:41:54 AM

I was just about to make a fairly large purcahse from MD, glad this happened first. I'd never do any business with this guy now... he clearly violated his own privacy policy, and that of Blockchain.info. I am seriously going to reconsider my regular use of blockchain.info wallets as well.

Very disappointing to see such a supposedly reputable Bitcoin business acting so unprofessionally, and likely illegally (depending on privacy laws in applicable counties). Every business that Roger Ver is involved with is now tainted, in that he may have privileged access to private information, and is clearly prepared to share it with third parties in violation of privacy policies. As others have pointed out, what if this happened and the customer was out of town, hung up the phone because they don't speak English, etc... would he do the same thing with that customer's information? Terrible reflection on his professionalism and understanding of privacy laws and corporate liabilities.

Of course the guy who didn't pay back the 4btc is a jerk, but that is not surprising, he is just some random jackass trying to avoid paying taxes. Roger is a major investor in BTC businesses and he has destroyed his reputation with his handling of this situation.

I'm glad that he e-mailed the scammer a list of businesses that he has an ownership stake in. Anyone who trusts a business in which the owner has already openly violated his binding privacy policy is taking a risk and doing a disservice to the overall trustworthiness and professionalism of the Bitcoin economy. I hope the reputable companies among them will lock him out of having any access to private information, and inform the community of this action. It would suck if a minority shareholder tainted the reputation of otherwise upstanding, professional Bitcoin services.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 11:51:56 AM

I wonder how many whiners wouldn't have done the exact same thing if it happened to themselves.. this thread would be fkn dead. Its alright to bitch and whine about it, then it happens to them and suddenly the shoe is on the other foot! Right charlie? EH? ..l0l..
I agree. blockchain.info should never have given Roger admin access to their database. There was a clear conflict of interest and as you so elegantly point out the temptation to violate the terms of service is to high.  Fortunately they have rectified the situation.
I dont know i think the openess and transparency is totally needed to disolve the problem of scammers. And i think in this situation roger v had every right  to get that information any body in the same situation has in my oponion protecting criminal likenened people is a project that wil collapse on itself. How can bitcoin succeed when scammers and criminals are protected by anonimity.

This is why  guys like charlie C start crying like big fat babies when their anonimity becomes exposed when theres a threat they start crying like babies "wwhhhhaaaaaaa whhHHWAAAaa"

Who's allowed to acces block chain then any way.
Well, there's a good bit of truth to this statement. It's true that the blockchain.info's TOS was violated in this case, but protecting dishonest people from prosecution is bad for the health of the community too. I'm kind of disheartened here as the dishonest guy gets away scot free while the original victim is blamed. I doubt that many will not go Roger's way if presented with the exact circumstances.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 12:47:17 PM

I wonder how many whiners wouldn't have done the exact same thing if it happened to themselves.. this thread would be fkn dead. Its alright to bitch and whine about it, then it happens to them and suddenly the shoe is on the other foot! Right charlie? EH? ..l0l..
I agree. blockchain.info should never have given Roger admin access to their database. There was a clear conflict of interest and as you so elegantly point out the temptation to violate the terms of service is to high.  Fortunately they have rectified the situation.
I dont know i think the openess and transparency is totally needed to disolve the problem of scammers. And i think in this situation roger v had every right  to get that information any body in the same situation has in my oponion protecting criminal likenened people is a project that wil collapse on itself. How can bitcoin succeed when scammers and criminals are protected by anonimity.

This is why  guys like charlie C start crying like big fat babies when their anonimity becomes exposed when theres a threat they start crying like babies "wwhhhhaaaaaaa whhHHWAAAaa"

Well, there's a good bit of truth to this statement. It's true that the blockchain.info's TOS was violated in this case, but protecting dishonest people from prosecution is bad for the health of the community too. I'm kind of disheartened here as the dishonest guy gets away scot free while the original victim is blamed. I doubt that many will not go Roger's way if presented with the exact circumstances.

I'm all for going after the guy, that's why I posted his alternate account in that thread even though I disagree with Roger's actions. Also note the information I shared, I found out using publicly available information, if I had any information which wasn't publicly available I would not have shared it unless his guilt had been proven (which would also require trusting a third party which I'm not very inclined to do). Everything just got drowned out by the backlash against Roger unfortunately.

I don't buy Rob E's argument though, sounds like the age old argument of "Only criminals need privacy".

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
CharlieContent (OP)

Activity: 210

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 01:31:22 PM

I wonder how many whiners wouldn't have done the exact same thing if it happened to themselves.. this thread would be fkn dead. Its alright to bitch and whine about it, then it happens to them and suddenly the shoe is on the other foot! Right charlie? EH? ..El 0hl..

Rob, honestly, if this happened to me I would not give a shit. It's simply not worth my time to worry about fifty measly bucks if it was my mistake in the first place. I'd just chalk it up to experience, exactly like I said.

For Roger to make such a big deal over $50, he must be in financial trouble. Either that or he's completely insane. I think the latter is more likely, but who knows.

Rob, your first language isn't English, is it? Please tell me it isn't.

I'm all for going after the guy

The whole Blockchain.info thing aside, don't you think it's completely unprofessional for Roger to publish the guy's address on a forum? I'm not saying it's morally wrong, I'm saying it's inappropriate. After all, this guy didn't scam Roger. He just kept the wrong change. To me it amounts to a customer service dispute, really.

What kind of company solves a customer service dispute by posting the customer's address on a forum for the sake of fifty bucks? One run by completely immature amateurs, in my opinion.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 01:45:55 PM

It would suck if a minority shareholder tainted the reputation of otherwise upstanding, professional Bitcoin services.

It's worth pointing out that most Bitcoin businesses are private companies and their exact ownership structure isn't always public - some have investors whose identities aren't public knowledge who may also be involved in other Bitcoin enterprises so it's not just about whether you trust the public faces of a company.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
nethead

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 01:46:26 PM
Last edit: December 20, 2012, 02:12:27 PM by nethead

He gone offline after i sent him a pm. Although here is his 4.51 on the address he gave on the other thread.

https://blockchain.info/address/18yDbzddGVEr1Vyp4NXrP6mqAmUTesAg9a

I admit that i wasnt going to give it back for the following reasons:

1. He proved to be an asshole, before any thread here.
2. I didnt scam, BUT i have been scammed. Yes im bitbitman, which the bear found after another mistake i did. See "his" thread for more. SO that is another additional reason i found those bitcoins as a gift.
3. It was his fault

After reading those, i want EVERYONE here to reply to:

If someone did a mistake and added to your real bank account even 1$, i say it again BY MISTAKE, would you give it back? Tell the truth here.

I havent scammed anyone, and i understand that my reaction wasn't honest, what in this world is honest after all.

I want him also to post itt to confirm he got that.

All my privacy gone online to all the strange guys of the internet because of that, i ask you, anyone who quoted or posted any of my information (phones, address, names, ips, whatever) to remove them or replace them with "[netheads info]" or something.

Now, all the other people here who said im a scammer, answer me this: How the hell did i scam, if they accidentally added my bitcoin address in their payment recieving system, because that is what happened.

Subnote: For the first time in my life got scared for my life, to be more accurate I have shit my pants for only thinking "My info would be saved in some weird guys pc"
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 01:48:39 PM

I'm all for going after the guy

The whole Blockchain.info thing aside, don't you think it's completely unprofessional for Roger to publish the guy's address on a forum? I'm not saying it's morally wrong, I'm saying it's inappropriate. After all, this guy didn't scam Roger. He just kept the wrong change. To me it amounts to a customer service dispute, really.

What kind of company solves a customer service dispute by posting the customer's address on a forum for the sake of fifty bucks? One run by completely immature amateurs, in my opinion.

Probably not appropriate for a business to post that about a customer on a forum. I would've dealt with it privately without bringing the forum into it, and probably would've eventually dropped it and considered the money lost as the price of learning from my mistakes.    

IMO it is unethical and dishonest to keep the money in that situation, assuming it all went down as Roger said (I don't know if it did).

nethead

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 02:18:17 PM

Why nobody replies?
Rob E

Activity: 126

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 02:18:33 PM

I agree. blockchain.info should never have given Roger admin access to their database. There was a clear conflict of interest and as you so elegantly point out the temptation to violate the terms of service is to high.  Fortunately they have rectified the situation.
I dont know i think the openess and transparency is totally needed to disolve the problem of scammers. And i think in this situation roger v had every right  to get that information any body in the same situation has in my oponion protecting criminal likenened people is a project that wil collapsbbbbbg g vvvcfvtdfvf  c  ccx ccfgfrd ff c cc   cb ge on itself. How can bitcoin succeed when scammers and criminals are protected by anonimity.

This is why  guys like charlie C start crying like big fat babies when their anonimity becomes exposed when theres a threat they start crying like babies "wwhhhhaaaaaaa whhHHWAAAaa"

I'm all for going after the guy, that's why I posted his alternate account in that thread even though I disagree with Roger's actions. Also note the information I shared, I found out using publicly available information, if I had any information which wasn't publicly available I would not have shared it unless his guilt had been proven (which would also require trusting a third party which I'm not very inclined to do). Everything just got drowned out by the backlash against Roger unfortunately.

I don't buy Rob E's argument though, sounds like the age old argument of "Only criminals need privacy".
Im not saying that but what i am saying is that recourse should't be shut down to gain evidence in a situation like this.
itsgoldbaby

Activity: 157

Hello!

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 02:23:35 PM

He gone offline after i sent him a pm. Although here is his 4.51 on the address he gave on the other thread.

https://blockchain.info/address/18yDbzddGVEr1Vyp4NXrP6mqAmUTesAg9a

I admit that i wasnt going to give it back for the following reasons:

2. I didnt scam, BUT i have been scammed. Yes im bitbitman, which the bear found after another mistake i did. See "his" thread for more. SO that is another additional reason i found those bitcoins as a gift.
3. It was his fault

If someone did a mistake and added to your real bank account even 1$, i say it again BY MISTAKE, would you give it back? Tell the truth here.

I havent scammed anyone, and i understand that my reaction wasn't honest, what in this world is honest after all.

I want him also to post itt to confirm he got that.

All my privacy gone online to all the strange guys of the internet because of that, i ask you, anyone who quoted or posted any of my information (phones, address, names, ips, whatever) to remove them or replace them with "[netheads info]" or something.

Now, all the other people here who said im a scammer, answer me this: How the hell did i scam, if they accidentally added my bitcoin address in their payment recieving system, because that is what happened.

Subnote: For the first time in my life got scared for my life, to be more accurate I have shit my pants for only thinking "My info would be saved in some weird guys pc"
Of course I would give the money back. Keeping something that's not yours if the person is asking for it back is pretty disgusting. Shows who you truly are if you keep it, a scumbag.
Axios
Donator

Activity: 131

Axios Foundation

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 02:41:19 PM

Yes. Even $10 or $100 or $100,000.

I assume you send the money back with this transaction?

https://blockchain.info/tx/fb22cccba2443fbbe6fd3f78dcc7acecbd7a6b8adbff4972e9fb4a149b08a426

Good job.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 02:47:01 PM

3. It was his fault

Thanks for confirming that, it was pretty shitty of you to lie about that after I helped you out by whitelisting you so you could defend yourself.

And yes, I would have given it back, mistake or not it's not yours. You shouldn't stop respecting other people's property just because you don't have to.  Stealing from assholes is still stealing. And in the end it isn't about the person you're stealing from, it's about you and who you are as a person, and what you can live with. Good for you for giving it back though, everybody makes mistakes, only way to learn.

Appropriate or not, it is effective  Wink.

nethead

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 02:58:38 PM

3. It was his fault

Thanks for confirming that, it was pretty shitty of you to lie about that after I helped you out by whitelisting you so you could defend yourself.

And yes, I would have given it back, mistake or not it's not yours. You shouldn't stop respecting other people's property just because you don't have to.  Stealing from assholes is still stealing. And in the end it isn't about the person you're stealing from, it's about you and who you are as a person, and what you can live with. Good for you for giving it back though.

That would happen even if you havent seen the bitbit post, because of how the thing gone.
Now, you as a moderator, can you revise all the posts regarding me and deliting ANY (personal) info?
That would make you 1 btc instantly, my word on that. Post your address here if im offline
Take it as part of my giveout as promised on the other thread. (I told i will go out of the btc game, and i will, this playground doesnt like me)

Appropriate or not, it is effective  Wink.

I guess, sometimes.. Like now.. Gladly i do not live there but its a friends property and wouldnt like something happening o him.

All you who say you would return back the money i simply cant believe you. Replace that "somene" with "someone you dont know", and answer to me again.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 03:11:42 PM

I told i will go out of the btc game, and i will, this playground doesnt like me

Everybody likes a success story, and your past is no worse than anyone else's.

abracadabra

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 03:11:46 PM

private information (phone number) has been disclosed from the blockchain.info database.

Source?

[Edit: What you are probably assuming is that the person's info (phone number) posted in another thread came from blockchain.info.  It did not.  Blockchain.info doesn't hold that information regardless.]

Source: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131574.msg1409056#msg1409056
Nikolaos,

I looked up your address with Blockchain, and %100 for sure the funds were sent to a Bitcoin address that you control.

Here is the proof of the link to your account corresponding with Bitcoin address: 1H4UR5M72Ybpo4zrqWe8JKKYSeN1gxqBcU

[Wallet {email='nethead@spore.gr'
, guid='46f2b149-45c1-309c-98e0-af31be28175f'
, shared_key='2ea287bc-abf8-71b1-8e45-276ac034b854'
, secret_phrase='Neurobion'
, alias='nhman'
, created=Sat Dec 08 17:46:45 GMT 2012
, updated=Wed Dec 19 01:43:47 GMT 2012
, created_ip='188.95.51.84'
, updated_ip='79.107.123.47'
, sms_number='+44 7583383202'
, country='USD'}

You need to send back my 4.5119 BTC to:
18yDbzddGVEr1Vyp4NXrP6mqAmUTesAg9a

right away.
(3rd quote down)

Unsure if it is his phone number, but all that information came from blockchain.info database.

How does someone in Greece have an Isle of Man phone number? Greece's code is +30
nethead

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 03:15:09 PM
Last edit: December 20, 2012, 03:40:21 PM by nethead

private information (phone number) has been disclosed from the blockchain.info database.

Source?

[Edit: What you are probably assuming is that the person's info (phone number) posted in another thread came from blockchain.info.  It did not.  Blockchain.info doesn't hold that information regardless.]

Source: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131574.msg1409056#msg1409056
Nikolaos,

I looked up your address with Blockchain, and %100 for sure the funds were sent to a Bitcoin address that you control.

Here is the proof of the link to your account corresponding with Bitcoin address: 1H4UR5M72Ybpo4zrqWe8JKKYSeN1gxqBcU

[-removed-]

You need to send back my 4.5119 BTC to:
18yDbzddGVEr1Vyp4NXrP6mqAmUTesAg9a

right away.
(3rd quote down)

Unsure if it is his phone number, but all that information came from blockchain.info database.

How does someone in Greece have an Isle of Man phone number? Greece's code is +30

Lol... This is a mobile dude... And its UK, Everyone who goes holidays can buy a number...

Thats is the info i want to get deleted, so please do Smiley
nethead

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 03:18:00 PM

Also note that he was asking more bitpennies than "he" actually sent. I cannot find the blockchain link with the recieving address
but i found the first request on my mail:

You may have noticed that you received about 4.50932664

He also got those more bitpennies  Tongue
nethead

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 03:18:57 PM

I told i will go out of the btc game, and i will, this playground doesnt like me

So you are going to tell me that you succeed in btc, by getting scammed? Come on..
itsgoldbaby

Activity: 157

Hello!

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 03:24:32 PM

So you are going to tell me that you succeed in btc, by getting scammed? Come on..
So did you send him back the BTC then? Where did you get scammed, and by who?
nethead

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 03:27:33 PM

So did you send him back the BTC then? Where did you get scammed, and by who?

Yes. I explain that on my other posts, there is a topic under "scammers" by bitbitman

see:

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: