Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:21:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S3 Setup - Joining Pool / Cgminer  (Read 2185 times)
vp00009 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 10:55:00 PM

Hi Noob here, I recently acquired an S3 Followed all the Setup for the S3 - so far its seems to be mining - the worker seems to be showing up
on Antpool's webpage dashboard etc. It shows earnings and hashrate. I do not see anything under earning or payment history yet ..
The miner was setup lastnight. According to the video my miner is working and hashing and site is reporting my worker is mining even though I have not received any payment yet...
Locked my wallet and attached it etc as well..

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/tie_57/1010_zpsy9tkvycl.png

I followed these steps from this link :
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=702653.0
And this one as well :
http://eastshoretrade.blogspot.ca/2014/07/tutorial-setting-upbtc-miner-478gh.html

There was no instructions about installing Cgminer software. On the youtube clips :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0pEPjo3BWU
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RPFM3IImzM

1st  :
If your using Antpool and an S3 Miner - is cgminer or any other bitcoin software needed ? I have successfully setup the miner with its own built in the background web gui, similar to logging in to a router, so do I need to download anything else, like drivers and such ? I just did a firmware upgrade..

2nd  :
When do you need Bitcoin mining software, like cgminer ? Does it depend on the miner or pool - solo or shared ?
S3 S4 and such I don't see any mentioning of it in instructions.. How does it run in the background ?

Sorry for the post being so nooby.

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 11:59:33 PM

1st  :
If your using Antpool and an S3 Miner - is cgminer or any other bitcoin software needed ? I have successfully setup the miner with its own built in the background web gui, similar to logging in to a router, so do I need to download anything else, like drivers and such ? I just did a firmware upgrade..

2nd  :
When do you need Bitcoin mining software, like cgminer ? Does it depend on the miner or pool - solo or shared ?
S3 S4 and such I don't see any mentioning of it in instructions.. How does it run in the background ?

Sorry for the post being so nooby.

Thanks

1)It already is mining, why would you want to install cgminer when it already has it? No. No. Dont do firmware upgrades in the future, it can brick your controller and it typically does nothing for you.

2)You already have it. No. No. If you ssh into the miner and type screen -r you'll be able to see cgminer run if screen is installed. You can see what version of Cgminer its running on the status tab.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 12:13:19 AM

cgminer is installed on the S3, it is what runs the S3's hashing, it's a Bitmain fork of the real cgminer.  You should update it to the latest version Kano produced last year, it fixes some flaws - instructions can be found here: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer-binaries/tree/master/AntS3

You run cgminer executable with miners that do not have built in controllers, like usb sticks and such.
vp00009 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 03:30:56 AM

1)It already is mining, why would you want to install cgminer when it already has it? No. No. Dont do firmware upgrades in the future, it can brick your controller and it typically does nothing for you.

2)You already have it. No. No. If you ssh into the miner and type screen -r you'll be able to see cgminer run if screen is installed. You can see what version of Cgminer its running on the status tab.

Ah. Got ya. Built in already kk.

cgminer is installed on the S3, it is what runs the S3's hashing, it's a Bitmain fork of the real cgminer.  You should update it to the latest version Kano produced last year, it fixes some flaws - instructions can be found here: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer-binaries/tree/master/AntS3

You run cgminer executable with miners that do not have built in controllers, like usb sticks and such.

When you mean installed, like its already embedded in the actual firmware or something ? would putting Kano on it increase efficiency ?
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 07:29:16 AM

Yes, it's part of the software installed in the controller.  Kano's update reduces the CPU load by a significant amount, making your machine more efficient.  I forgot exactly what he did, if I wasn't lazy I'd search the threads and find his posts about it.  Plus he changed the miner status page to show more useful info, definitely worth the update.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: