Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 09:48:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dear rich guy: How you can make risk-free profit with bitcoin.  (Read 2718 times)
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 06:11:17 PM

i hope he held.
iirc he was out in 2011
I didn't think he had.  I'm guessing from this tweet of his of Aug 12 that he's still in?

no, myself is right.  i remember him capitulating and selling out.  just another short term trader with no conviction.
Thanks cypherdoc and myself.  I had wondered because his original article is still one that comes up with many bitcoin-related searches and I have searched a number of times for a more recent update - just out of interest.  Was he ever active here or do you know where he announced his capitulation? 

It seems strange that he sold out completely given that he's still tweeting enthusiastically about Bitcoin.  I know many of you folks have been around some time so please bear with a newbie trying to do some detective work:  Falkvinge spoke Sept 2011 at the European Bitcoin Conference and Amir Taaki was blogging about him in Feb of this year.  I got the impression from the follow-on two series of articles Falkvinge wrote (Hurdles 1, 2, 3, 4 and Drivers 1, 2, 3, 4), which to my eyes were a mixed bag, that he was well up for it so I'd be intrigued to hear his rationale for pulling out if anyone could assist?

i tried googling it but i can't find anything about him selling.  i do remember that he did though very clearly.  even the very public faces of Bitcoin are just traders like the rest of us and can panic sell.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 06:32:55 PM

Its foolish to put all of your savings into one medium of exchange anyway.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
thoughtfan

Activity: 784
Merit: 506

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 07:06:58 PM

I would tend to agree but what I've found interesting of late is that most of us don't have to 'put' our money in one medium.  By default we have our money in one currency.  Falkvinge (if he did what he said he was doing), assuming he was starting from that position, was still diversifying by having most of his money into Bitcoin and living expenses in Krona.  Yet to put that much in Bitcoin at this stage of the game when those who know the technology best are still insisting on calling it 'experimental' is a mighty high risk strategy so maybe rather than 'capitulating' he just saw enough sense to redress the balance and reduce a good proportion of his Bitcoin exposure. 

As much as many of us may like to be scathing of the economics that underlie centrally issued currencies, for the time being large-scale exposure to the pound/dollar/euro etc. is I would say still significantly less risky than to Bitcoin.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 07:26:49 PM

I would tend to agree but what I've found interesting of late is that most of us don't have to 'put' our money in one medium.  By default we have our money in one currency.  Falkvinge (if he did what he said he was doing), assuming he was starting from that position, was still diversifying by having most of his money into Bitcoin and living expenses in Krona.  Yet to put that much in Bitcoin at this stage of the game when those who know the technology best are still insisting on calling it 'experimental' is a mighty high risk strategy so maybe rather than 'capitulating' he just saw enough sense to redress the balance and reduce a good proportion of his Bitcoin exposure. 

As much as many of us may like to be scathing of the economics that underlie centrally issued currencies, for the time being large-scale exposure to the pound/dollar/euro etc. is I would say still significantly less risky than to Bitcoin.

Yes, this is very true in that we often have to go out of our way to diversify.  Bitcoin has it's place in that diversification, however, his "all-in" mentality came off as he was looking for a get rich scheme, and when that didn't pan out, he capitulated. 

Generally I have roughly 10% of my investment funds, not savings, allocated to high-risk or speculative investments.  Taleb recommends this in his Black Swan book although I tweak it some to fit my personal preferences. 

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
deeplink

Activity: 728

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 07:44:09 PM

Rick Falkvinge   
October 5, 2012 - 19:28   

I’ve done some bad daytrading moves, but I also sold at my original buying price to go back in at 3.20 on this ride up. Overall, I think I’m a bit above breakeven.

http://falkvinge.net/2011/05/29/why-im-putting-all-my-savings-into-bitcoin/#comment-103491

But that's what I would say too if I lost a lot of money. I guess only he knows.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: