Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:11:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin taking up 5.6gb on my computer  (Read 8534 times)
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 11:53:00 AM

Unless we ban gambling and interest, BTC like fiat currency is doooomedEmbarrassed

DOS-like constructs such as 'satoshi dice' will just shift power to the 'money changers' where it can be more easily pilfered a bit at a time if not flat out stolen.  Not being a gambler myself, it is easy to hypothesis that that is part of the goal of 'satoshi dice'.  It would be really interesting to know how 'Satoshi' would like his name pinned on this construct.

OTOH, 'satoshi dice' really is something which is getting the attention of the more philosophical and technically capable of the crypto-currency community.  On balance, I personally sense that it is a positive contribution at an opportune time for that reason alone.  But then again my attention has wandered away from crypto-currencies generally of late so I've paid even less attention to it than I normally would.

I think one of the reasons SatoshiDice is used so hugely as it is, is because there is really not very much you can DO with Bitcoins once you have them other than gambling.

You can get them stolen which seems a more likely outcome when using bitcoin.

You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 05:07:06 PM

I think one of the reasons SatoshiDice is used so hugely as it is, is because there is really not very much you can DO with Bitcoins once you have them other than gambling.
If there were more "things to do," blockchain would be even larger than it is today.  Either way, several GB today is not a problem in terms of cost of storage. The problem is the initial download simply because we are not upfront with the newbies, so they get disappointed. Direct download links on the main page of bitcoin.org do not contain any explanations and warnings, and should be removed. Download page contains an overview of various clients, which is good, but points should be bulleted, and warning about initial download more prominent. That way there would be no bad surprises.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 05:12:55 PM

Sure, 5.6GB is borderline acceptable, but what happens in a year when it's 10-20GB? My 120GB SSD isn't looking so hot. I'll have to upgrade my SSD cuz I'm already running out of room, and then I'll have to download the whole 20GB again.

Alternative: Is there a way to move the blockchain to a different spot? Maybe onto my 1TB external? And if I do decide to replace my OS drive, just point the new Bitcoin-qt at the old blockchain, and have it pick up where I left off?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 05:17:33 PM

DOS-like constructs such as 'satoshi dice' will just shift power to...

You can get them stolen which seems a more likely outcome when using bitcoin.

Good points both and I cannot disagree.  Neither loss (or gain) from gambling has effected me, nor have I had anything stolen (except for a few BTC which I left at Bitcoinica and I anticipated that as the likely outcome.)

For my part, I'm content to just sit on the Bitcoin I have obtained.  For years.  The main danger I face is not being able to remember how to get them out of deep storage if/when I have reason to.  Because my assortment of computers and network gear changes, I'll probably have to build a machine upon which I wish to run bitcoind and try to get bitcoind to compile on it (and now download a rather massive amount of data) in order to re-activate my wallets.  Both of these are tedious.  Probably I'll end up doing in the cloud since by the time I get around to it, it will be wholly unworkable to run Bitcoin at home.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 06:35:39 PM

Sure, 5.6GB is borderline acceptable, but what happens in a year when it's 10-20GB? My 120GB SSD isn't looking so hot. I'll have to upgrade my SSD cuz I'm already running out of room, and then I'll have to download the whole 20GB again.

Alternative: Is there a way to move the blockchain to a different spot? Maybe onto my 1TB external? And if I do decide to replace my OS drive, just point the new Bitcoin-qt at the old blockchain, and have it pick up where I left off?

You can point your client to any directory, just add a handle:

Code:
-datadir=<dir>         Specify data directory

See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=128575.0

Someone more versed should explain if you should detach the database at shutdown before moving it.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 06:45:54 PM

Yes - you can move the blockchain.  It is critical to be sure either bitcoin-qt or bitcoind is completely shutdown before you copy/move the blockchain.

I keep a copy on my server (running bitcoind) and one on ym desktop (bitcoin-qt on windows).  I have saved myself the headache of re-downloading when I corrupted my server copy by moving it over from my desktop.

2 local copies of the blockchain FTW  Grin

Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2012, 04:30:44 AM

Unless we ban gambling and interest, BTC like fiat currency is doooomedEmbarrassed

DOS-like constructs such as 'satoshi dice' will just shift power to the 'money changers' where it can be more easily pilfered a bit at a time if not flat out stolen.  Not being a gambler myself, it is easy to hypothesis that that is part of the goal of 'satoshi dice'.  It would be really interesting to know how 'Satoshi' would like his name pinned on this construct.

OTOH, 'satoshi dice' really is something which is getting the attention of the more philosophical and technically capable of the crypto-currency community.  On balance, I personally sense that it is a positive contribution at an opportune time for that reason alone.  But then again my attention has wandered away from crypto-currencies generally of late so I've paid even less attention to it than I normally would.

That is not surprising because degenerative practices like gambling and interest will kill innovation.

@tvbcof  If it was used to redistribute wealth, then I can see gambling a good thing for Bitcoin. Otherwise, BTC will be nothing more than a movement/fad unless we eliminate greed and usury.

I'm not here to make money. I'm here to be part of a revolution !

pEACe

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 04:51:21 AM

That is not surprising because degenerative practices like gambling and interest will kill innovation.

@tvbcof  If it was used to redistribute wealth, then I can see gambling a good thing for Bitcoin. Otherwise, BTC will be nothing more than a movement/fad unless we eliminate greed and usury.

I'm not here to make money. I'm here to be part of a revolution !

pEACe

Amen brotha...I as well (though I'll not turn down a monetary reward if it pops up to be honest, and if I did decide to 'give some back' to the cause, it would probably be only a fraction.)

As for gambling, it's not my thing but many people and most cultures embrace it.  Some people have fun throwing away their money, and other people make a living off taking it.  I'm not going to produce any resistance simply on the basis that I find it rather ignorant and/or mildly exploitative.  If gambling kills Bitcoin than Bitcoin was simply not strong enough to face it's bigger challenges on the horizon anyway IMHO.

As for 'greed and usury'. I consider it an impossible task to 'stop'.  It's just the way humans are wired.  The best solution is to design things such that these unseemly aspects of human nature serve to strengthen the solution.  That's tricky, but I actually feel that the designer(s) of Bitcoin did a pretty fair job of doing just this in certain parts of the implementation.  Beyond that, Bitcoin seems pretty neutral.  There is a lot of latitude on how it could be used, and how revolutionary it turns out in practice is a huge question mark in my mind.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2012, 05:58:52 PM

Yes - you can move the blockchain.  It is critical to be sure either bitcoin-qt or bitcoind is completely shutdown before you copy/move the blockchain.
You also must start up with the detachdb argument set and shut down cleanly.

In any case, if the poster decides to delete it they should at least keep the wallet— which is small.  No one should ever delete a wallet which has ever had coins sent to it.  If nothing else, if you're _sure_ you don't want it— post it to the forum or email it to me or something.

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 07:20:41 PM

You also must start up with the detachdb argument set and shut down cleanly.

In any case, if the poster decides to delete it they should at least keep the wallet— which is small.  No one should ever delete a wallet which has ever had coins sent to it.  If nothing else, if you're _sure_ you don't want it— post it to the forum or email it to me or something.

Is it that important to conserve coins, even if it's just a few satoshis remaining?
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 31, 2012, 09:38:26 PM

Is it that important to conserve coins, even if it's just a few satoshis remaining?

I think gmaxwell is specifically referring to preventing instances like this:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=82600.0

If *someone* has the wallet, there's a higher chance that the person who lost their coin gets it returned.
jago25_98

Activity: 900

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2013, 12:32:36 AM

Send coins to an offline savings address - brainwallet or similar in a safe.

But for miners, I think they have to have the blockchain locally for mining, no?

I still think it's a problem though. That blockchain is the distributed part of bitcoin. It needs to be distributed. Light clients are fine and dandy but without the blockchain, to take the RMS attitude, it's not really Bitcoin.

The hardware argument is partially valid but not complete because while capacities are expanding connectivity is a different story. There's been talk on this, especially in mobile internet like 3G in countries like the USA and the UK. Less so for mainland Europe and Asian countries like Korea.

Also, it's just good to be able to run bitcoin truly on many devices.

So I'm looking forward to Bitcoin 0.8 addressing this problem.

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: