Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 05:39:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: should i go 50/50 with gold and bitcoin?  (Read 8827 times)
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 10:15:19 AM

I'm going to gradually unload some btc for gold and silver, just for diversification.

Imho silver has more potential gain if they start rising, given the gold/silver price ratio overextended at about 80X, current price below mining cost,  almost no stock, etc.
But even with gold, I would not discard the chance of a doubling in price within 1-2 years.

Now both look like they've just bottomed, so risks of further major drops should be contained.
Whatever you do, at this time I would move gradually, and not forget to keep about 20-30% in cash at all times.
Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 10:18:17 AM
Last edit: January 09, 2016, 04:07:01 PM by Karartma1

I'm going to gradually unload some btc for gold and silver, just for diversification.

Imho silver has more potential gain if they start rising, given the gold/silver price ratio overextended at about 80X, current price below mining cost,  almost no stock, etc.
But even with gold, I would not discard the chance of a doubling in price within 1-2 years.

I would agree on everything you just said and I've always suggested everyone around not to go all in with Bitcoin. I'm not really sure about silver but regarding gold it will never lose its appeal.
Gold is not crude oil!
pissedoff

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 10:22:35 AM

Imho silver has more potential gain if they start rising, given the gold/silver price ratio overextended at about 80X, current price below mining cost,  almost no stock, etc.

I would agree on everything you just said and I've always suggeste deveryone around to don't go all in with Bitcoin. I'm not really sure about silver but regarding gold it will never lose its appeal.
Gold is not crude oil!
I am going all in with bitcoins because I hope that the price will increase in the long run. Still that's my view because I like to take the risk.
markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 10:28:24 AM

at the moment i have 30 btc now i could sell in the highs and buy gold leaving me with 15 btc.

im starting to think btc wont survive long due being entirely digital the thing could be abandoned or worse internet might go down what you guys think i would look pretty stupid buying something you cant see or hold im torn to shreds right now.

ive listened to max keiser and proffs that bitcoin could be worth tens of thousends i think its the most sensible thing to do "dont put eggs in one basket" on all...

it draws a fine line... i.e. all that electricity to "mine" bitcoins pushing hardware to the max and with exchanges like crypsty and cexio mucking me around i just dont see the future help me realise this what should i do?

BTC is an investment with HUGE systemic risk.

Gold is an investment which has proven itself as a store of value for the entire duration of human civilisation.

BTC has bottomed out (for now) in 2015 for sure. Gold may have just bottomed out, or may still be bottoming out. Whatever happens, providing you are thinking in terms of a 5-10 year investment, now should prove to be a tremendous time to buy gold. Down almost 50% on it's 2011 high!

In terms of growth of profits, you are likely to see far more potential yield in the immediate future with Bitcoin, but if you fail to time your exit well, also far more potential for evaporation of profits.

I believe we are entering the final wave of the 'fear cycle'. Expect massive market corrections in the next 18 months. Usually under these circumstances, hard assets or safe haven assets do very well, as the fear, uncertainty, and doubt, drive people away from investments with counter party risk, and into things which are 'solid'. If the market can be tricked into believing that Bitcoin is a 'hard asset', then we may see blistering gains in Bitcoin compared to gold, but the core difference will always remain, that gold is real, it is formed within a very narrow band of time in the final moments before a star goes supernova, hence it's rarity across the entire cosmos. Bitcoin on the otherhand, is vapour, and one day, it will be revealed to be nothing more than that, whethet that is 5 years, or 50 years from now.

Gold is an insurance policy, BTC is about as highly speculative an asset as it gets. Do what makes you feel good/comfortable with yourself.

Agree with the above 100%
Puhi

Activity: 243
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 10:39:20 AM

at the moment i have 30 btc now i could sell in the highs and buy gold leaving me with 15 btc.

im starting to think btc wont survive long due being entirely digital the thing could be abandoned or worse internet might go down what you guys think i would look pretty stupid buying something you cant see or hold im torn to shreds right now.

ive listened to max keiser and proffs that bitcoin could be worth tens of thousends i think its the most sensible thing to do "dont put eggs in one basket" on all...

it draws a fine line... i.e. all that electricity to "mine" bitcoins pushing hardware to the max and with exchanges like crypsty and cexio mucking me around i just dont see the future help me realise this what should i do?

Gold is an investment which has proven itself as a store of value for the entire duration of human civilisation.

BTC has bottomed out (for now) in 2015 for sure. Gold may have just bottomed out, or may still be bottoming out. Whatever happens, providing you are thinking in terms of a 5-10 year investment, now should prove to be a tremendous time to buy gold. Down almost 50% on it's 2011 high!

In terms of growth of profits, you are likely to see far more potential yield in the immediate future with Bitcoin, but if you fail to time your exit well, also far more potential for evaporation of profits.

I believe we are entering the final wave of the 'fear cycle'. Expect massive market corrections in the next 18 months. Usually under these circumstances, hard assets or safe haven assets do very well, as the fear, uncertainty, and doubt, drive people away from investments with counter party risk, and into things which are 'solid'. If the market can be tricked into believing that Bitcoin is a 'hard asset', then we may see blistering gains in Bitcoin compared to gold, but the core difference will always remain, that gold is real, it is formed within a very narrow band of time in the final moments before a star goes supernova, hence it's rarity across the entire cosmos. Bitcoin on the otherhand, is vapour, and one day, it will be revealed to be nothing more than that, whethet that is 5 years, or 50 years from now.

Gold is an insurance policy, BTC is about as highly speculative an asset as it gets. Do what makes you feel good/comfortable with yourself.

Agree with the above 100%

If you are considering gold, take a look at Xaurum. It is 100% gold backed and you can "melt" xau and receive the gold at your home. Not only you are fully covered by gold but the amount of gold grows constantly by mining of Xau, by every new direct purchase of xau, by every transaction (fees are converted to gold). Since the beginning of this year the amount of gold represented by 1 Xau has grown from 1,406154326 g/XAU to 1,448123884 g/XAU. This coin is in initial phase and it has big potential.
bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2213
Merit: 3208

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 10:56:25 AM

people will sell their Bitcoins and the price will drop to the 100s.

Ahh, aren't we all dreaming about cheap bitcoins. Please notify me when you are selling your precious coins at those dollar prices.

@OP
You should not think about absolute amounts but rather decide which percentage of your wealth you would like to have in Bitcoin. Adjust accordingly every 6 or 12 months.

- You can figure out what will happen, not when /Warren Buffett
- Pay any Bitcoin address privately with a little help of Monero.
SmartIphone
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 10:58:45 AM

It is personal preferences to like more gold or bitcoin, but personally i would invest in bitcoin.
Gold is more stable but we expect a higher increase of bitcoin in upcoming years.
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2016, 12:29:53 PM

Gold has been the best form of money for thousands of years but crypto can do some things better than gold, eg easier to store, easier to divide, easier to send. Market doesn't care that elements are created in the sun, only cares which is most efficient at filling the need for money. But yes crypto is still beta and in a huge experimental growth phase therefore much more speculative.
pissedoff

Activity: 616

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 02:33:55 PM

It is personal preferences to like more gold or bitcoin, but personally i would invest in bitcoin.
Gold is more stable but we expect a higher increase of bitcoin in upcoming years.
Its the amount of risk that the person wishes to take that will determine his rewards in the long run.
mtnsaa
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 02:38:45 PM

Depends on your goals. Either way if that's all you have you need to diversify I agree. Gold is always a good option and I understand your concept, I don't think it will ever happen but hey, if civilization crumbles to the point of no internet, then gold will most likely be your salvation. Just keep it close and not in a internet operated swiss vault hehe!
THX 1138

Activity: 208
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 03:37:38 PM
Last edit: January 09, 2016, 04:11:03 PM by THX 1138

If it were me, I would certainly want to hedge with many more than two options; more like five or six+, which would include holding physical cash (low denominations in case of Greek-style credit controls, so you aren't handing over big bills for cheap items, and not getting enough change due to shortage of cash). I decided to get out of gold a year ago at the $1,300 high and am waiting for at least a drop below £1,000 before getting back in (possibly by March?), and I got out of BTC at the $315 blip before the $450ish high (playing too safe, I know).

As well as roughly 15% each in physical gold, cash and BTC,  I'd probably split the rest with land, DOW/SP500 ETFs (until just before the peak, possibly later in 2017?), some P2P loans (which combined give around 6% interest), including to deflation-friendly sector businesses and buying assets such as portable fine art, and "useful stuff": tools, machinery etc; things that could either be used to sell or barter with IF we end up with a severe downturn which affects infrastructure. Perhaps more likely to hit first where I am here in Europe before the States.

Just my take. Always interested to here other views.
mobnepal
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 04:05:41 PM

As all other have suggested bitcoin price is likely to be rise just before halving and you can look at the trend (look on monthly figure) you will find steady rise of price. And there is halving and china huge buying force making good support at this high prices.
SnokkomBTC

Activity: 559

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 04:17:50 PM

I'm 35% gold & silver, 60% bitcoin and 5% cash. Wink

Sometimes, if it looks too bearish, it's actually bullish
lixer

Activity: 2520
Merit: 586

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 04:23:08 PM

I guess by cash you meant bank deposits. But I do not invest nay money into bank for interest gaining as in my country bank interest rates are very much lower than inflation rate. So, the worth of money's buying capacity is getting decrease over time if we invest  in bank.

OrangeII

Activity: 2086
Merit: 503

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 04:24:22 PM

it does not hurt, if you're less confident with the increase in bitcoin, you must take the 50:50, even as you play the trading, if the gold price falls, the price of bitcoin might be able to pay it, and vice versa

.SWG.io.

..Pre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15..

..Buy Now..

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
..CONFIRMED..

THX 1138

Activity: 208
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 04:31:55 PM

I guess by cash you meant bank deposits. But I do not invest nay money into bank for interest gaining as in my country bank interest rates are very much lower than inflation rate. So, the worth of money's buying capacity is getting decrease over time if we invest  in bank.

I would be very wary of keeping "cash" in bank deposits due to the likely Cyprus-style bail-ins on the way. As many of you will be aware, you don't own the money in your account, the bank does. You are simply one in a long line of creditors if the bank fails, so would most likely end up with little or nothing after any significantly financial event. Or, with credit controls in action, be rationed so much a week, as in Greece. For me, "cash" means the stuff I can actually hold in my hand.
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 04:34:03 PM

Do whatever you feel is good for you. I advice you not to sell any of your Bitcoins as long as we aren't even close to the halving. After the halving you can secure some profits by selling a few coins. You can then buy yourself some gold.
icem3lter

Activity: 281
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 04:38:52 PM

Do whatever you feel is good for you. I advice you not to sell any of your Bitcoins as long as we aren't even close to the halving. After the halving you can secure some profits by selling a few coins. You can then buy yourself some gold.

I mean like investing in something with intrinsic value is better than investing in something without any intrinsic value. It's far more safer to invest in gold.

richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 04:46:08 PM

I mean like investing in something with intrinsic value is better than investing in something without any intrinsic value. It's far more safer to invest in gold.

Intrinsic as in something physical? I find Bitcoin to have much more potential growth than gold. It's just how I think about it.
BitcoinMarketStore

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 04:49:51 PM

Wait for break 1200 before buy gold, it could be a classic bull trap. I'm on markets since 1999, and i think gold goes under 1000$ shortly
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: