Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 01:15:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: should i go 50/50 with gold and bitcoin?  (Read 8832 times)
wikenpp

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 08:59:19 PM

I guess, I would have gone 60/40 on gold.

I would invest more in gold then bitcoin too.
This because i need security with investments, so far Bitcoin is not providing me real security.
pissedoff

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 09:30:12 PM

This because i need security with investments, so far Bitcoin is not providing me real security.
If you seek more security it comes with the price of lowering your chance of profiting big time.
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 10:50:03 PM

Bitcoin has a great potential return that is far bigger than what gold can offer you. If there was a time to buy Bitcoin, then the time would be right now. People will look back after 6 months from now and blame themself for not investing more in Bitcoin. (If they can afford it of course.)
martinacar

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 11:24:42 PM

I can recommend this.  Gold has been there for centuries. But bitcoin is 'new'
and yes i think they (bitcoin) needs to prove it more to be a solid investment.
SilverHoldings

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 11:36:21 PM

With the current gold:silver ratio I think silver is a better choice.
defaultking

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2016, 11:48:18 PM

Why not it's always good to diversify your portfolio. Also, gold will always be valuable. Never hurts to invest in it
angaper

Activity: 966
Merit: 507

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 01:45:31 AM

Every investment involves great risks, and you need to plan responsibly each of your financial decisions because 30 bitcoins is really a good amount. It is true that there is great uncertainty about the future of bitcoin, but this uncertainty is equally applicable to all currencies, commodities and assets, but I would hold at least 10 bitcoins in my wallet.
newbit123 (OP)

Activity: 13

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 05:01:03 PM

thank all for the advise ive decided to go 20% on gold.  if bitcoin drops around 200 ish i will buy btc again and re sell if it goes to 400 ive effectively doubled my money this year so i think its a balanced move

depending on bitcoins success/failure i will monitor this and adjust ratio
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 05:33:00 PM

thank all for the advise ive decided to go 20% on gold.  if bitcoin drops around 200 ish i will buy btc again and re sell if it goes to 400 ive effectively doubled my money this year so i think its a balanced move

it will not drop

i think people need still to understand how bitcoin work, there is no going back unless it is died, 200 mean thta mining is not profitable for miners

and no the argument that the diff will simply reduce because some miners leave, means only the died of the network
uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 06:19:16 PM

@OP:
it depends at what are you aiming. If you go for more risk (and more gain) then the bigger BTC part the better. If you want to preserve your capital then 50/50 should be about right. Both BTC and gold can go down, gold after straight four years of down trend, is much less likely to still lose more than BTC.

this space is intentionally left blank
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 06:54:39 PM

there is no need to wait for the price to go down that much, especially with the great outlook that bitcoin has in 2016 and further. it's your choice, but at this point bitcoin will only increase more and more. if you keep waiting for the price to come down to unrealistic price levels, then you will probably end up buying at a much higher price.
MatTheCat

Activity: 840

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 10:00:14 PM

thank all for the advise ive decided to go 20% on gold.  if bitcoin drops around 200 ish i will buy btc again and re sell if it goes to 400 ive effectively doubled my money this year so i think its a balanced move

If Bitcoin gets back down to $200 range. It will be a correction that even the most (reasonably) bearish of punters will not have expected prior to the halving. If you want to wait on a pullback (wise decision), then I think you would be better served looking for an entry in mid $300s.

Infact, I will tell you now. Bitcoin aint going back down to the $200 range before the halving.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
uki
Legendary

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 10:18:11 PM

thank all for the advise ive decided to go 20% on gold.  if bitcoin drops around 200 ish i will buy btc again and re sell if it goes to 400 ive effectively doubled my money this year so i think its a balanced move

If Bitcoin gets back down to $200 range. It will be a correction that even the most (reasonably) bearish of punters will not have expected prior to the halving. If you want to wait on a pullback (wise decision), then I think you would be better served looking for an entry in mid $300s.

Infact, I will tell you now. Bitcoin aint going back down to the $200 range before the halving.
I also don't expect to see sub $300 prices before the halving. Most probably, the zone between $350 and $400 should stop any retrace. Therefore, looking for good entries now, I would set the buy orders there.

crairezx20
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1046

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 10:38:46 PM

Yeah maybe if i had 30 btc i will buy gold to because maybe in the future the bitcoin will down.
But for now im still collecting bitcoin to living..
Supercrypt
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1054

View Profile
January 13, 2016, 03:54:59 AM

I don't think bitcoin will reach $200 soon and if it does reach this amount, it will take another year most probably to increase. Since, I also believe in bitcoin investments more, it's good to buy more bitcoins than gold as it's as well quite profitable compared to gold.
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 03:06:37 PM

Gold and BTC have been negatively correlated at -70%, so with a balanced portfolio is likely that most of what you lose with one you gain with the other -and jumping from one to the other could be even better:

https://tradeblock.com/blog/bitcoin-correlations-to-macro-environment-gold-and-yuan-standouts
lumeire
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1009

Next-Gen Trade Racing Metaverse

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 03:12:14 PM

IMO the best bet would be to stay variable, like right now is the best time to accumulate BTC so have a larger bite of your portfolio leaning towards BTC I'd advice to keep 5-8% in liquid cash should something interesting would happen to the market - with that at least you'd be flexible.

▄▄████████▄▄           ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄   ▄▄████████████████▄▄
  ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████  ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄
 ▄█████▀            ▀█  ▄█████▀            ▀█████▄
▄█████▀                ▄█████▀    ▄▄        ▀█████▄
█████▌                 █████▌     ████▄▄     ▐█████
█████▌                 █████▌     ████▀▀     ▐█████
▀█████▄      ▄▄▄      █████▀      ▀▀        ▄█████▀
 ▀█████▄▄   █████    █████▀  █▄            ▄█████▀
  ▀██████████████ ██████▀▀  █████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▀
    ▀▀███████████ ████▀    ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀███████ ▀▀           ▀▀████████▀▀
            ▀███▀
|
..NEXT-GEN TRADE RACING METAVERSE..
|   WEBSITE   |   TELEGRAM   |   TWITTER   |   MEDIUM   |
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
hasiramasenju
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 03:21:13 PM

yes you should do it but if you really like it because you have a great idea invest bitcoin for short term and invest gold for long term
uki
Legendary

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 03:33:38 PM

Gold and BTC have been negatively correlated at -70%, so with a balanced portfolio is likely that most of what you lose with one you gain with the other -and jumping from one to the other could be even better:
-snip-

Thanks for a nice picture. It looks very pretty, the trick is although the units are the same in the Y-axes, we are in very different values regions. Meaning, Bitcoin is much more volatile than gold. You may lose/win more if you keep it BTC-biased.

shark32

Activity: 20

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 10:36:40 PM

Correlation does not implie causation. The gold price is mostly made up of paper-gold valuation, which can easily be surpressed and in fact there is strong evidence that this is exactly whats happening.
Gold needs to be cheap as it's the most commonly accepted save-haven store of value. A low gold price therefore indicates that everything is alright and keeps the masses calm.

Bitcoin on the other hand tends to rise during economic uncertainty, mostly not because its seen like gold but for its capabilities to hide and move any given amount frictionless around the whole globe.

So the correlation can very well be explained by assuming that bitcoin is rising the most at exact those times when gold needs to be supressed the most for persaving more widespread panic.

I'm fully aware that this conclusion requires two strong assumptions and I could very well be wrong, but don't let yourself be fooled into believing that two graphs that show a similar pattern are proving a direct relation of the underlying effects.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: