Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:36:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BitCoin apps for iPhone? (without jailbreaking)  (Read 2883 times)
21after2 (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 16

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 06:28:48 PM

Sorry for having two subsequent topics, but this topic is entirely different from my other one.

I'm wondering if there are any BitCoin apps for non-jailbroken iPhones. I've only found one app for iPhone so far, and I'm fairly certain I would need to jailbreak my iPhone to use it (which I have no desire to do).

Any suggestions for a good QR code scanner for iPhone would be appreciated too.

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 06:36:30 PM

Blockchain.info has a great iOS app.  I believe it is just called blockchain in the app store.  Just don't forget your password... Blockchain.info stores your wallet encrypted and if you lose the password nobody can recover your bitcoins (but it's also impossible for blockchain.info to steal them since the password is only ever handled on the client side).

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
21after2 (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 06:52:16 PM

This app is perfect! Thanks! Cheesy
Inabra

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 07:13:35 PM

+1
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 01:15:41 AM

I've only found one app for iPhone so far, and I'm fairly certain I would need to jailbreak my iPhone to use it

Ya, blame Apple for that.

Paymium's FriendlyPay (iOS) app worked with Instawallet and was a great app and then Apple kicked them out of the App store.
WalletBit just had their iOS app rejected by Apple.  Again in this case, Apple would only give a generic "must not violate laws in all jurisdictions it is offered".  No details as to either which laws were being broken or which jurisdictions a problem existed.

So, remember that when it is time to replace your phone.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

notme
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 04:10:47 AM

I've only found one app for iPhone so far, and I'm fairly certain I would need to jailbreak my iPhone to use it

Ya, blame Apple for that.

Paymium's FriendlyPay (iOS) app worked with Instawallet and was a great app and then Apple kicked them out of the App store.
WalletBit just had their iOS app rejected by Apple.  Again in this case, Apple would only give a generic "must not violate laws in all jurisdictions it is offered".  No details as to either which laws were being broken or which jurisdictions a problem existed.

So, remember that when it is time to replace your phone.

+1

My next phone will run android.  The only reason I have an iPhone in the first place is a client bought it for me when they needed an iOS app.

salfter

Activity: 651
Merit: 501

My PGP Key: 92C7689C

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2012, 07:14:25 AM

I'm wondering if there are any BitCoin apps for non-jailbroken iPhones. I've only found one app for iPhone so far, and I'm fairly certain I would need to jailbreak my iPhone to use it (which I have no desire to do).

BTCmon is pretty good...it'll give you exchange rates, network stats, and (if you mine) mining stats.

Others have already mentioned the Blockchain app.

Any suggestions for a good QR code scanner for iPhone would be appreciated too.

TapMedia's Barcode app handles QR codes (as well as other types of barcodes) and has worked well enough for me. AFAIK, it doesn't phone home QR codes.  It'll also export scanned barcodes as an email attachment, which could be useful.

Tipjars: BTC 1TipsGocnz2N5qgAm9f7JLrsMqkb3oXe2 LTC LTipsVC7XaFy9M6Zaf1aGGe8w8xVUeWFvR | My Bitcoin Note Generator | Pool Auto-Switchers: zpool MiningPoolHub NiceHash
Bitgem Resources: Pool Explorer Paper Wallet
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 12:31:39 AM

scanbook
Bitcoin Quote
Bitcoin Ticker
Bakodo (if you just want general QR scanning)

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
yohanstra

Activity: 6

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 01:30:55 AM

Blockchain.info has a great iOS app.  I believe it is just called blockchain in the app store.  Just don't forget your password... Blockchain.info stores your wallet encrypted and if you lose the password nobody can recover your bitcoins (but it's also impossible for blockchain.info to steal them since the password is only ever handled on the client side).

I believe that blockchain.info has now removed the wallet feature because of issues with Apple, and now only offers a transaction ticker, so this app is no longer very useful.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 01:38:57 AM

I believe that blockchain.info has now removed the wallet feature because of issues with Apple, and now only offers a transaction ticker, so this app is no longer very useful.

Reference?

Mine still works and I don't see any updates.

21after2 (OP)

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 01:54:09 AM

Wallet feature on mine seems to be working without a problem. Is it a recent update to the app?
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 02:00:31 AM

Wallet feature on mine seems to be working without a problem. Is it a recent update to the app?
Just be happy it works and don't ask too many questions  Grin  I'll just say that Apple doesn't vet their code carefully enough.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 02:26:59 AM

Apple will not delete or modify your apps if they are neutered for extra-legal concerns. You have to intentionally delete them or update them to a neutered version, yourself.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 08:26:17 PM

Apple will not delete or modify your apps if they are neutered for extra-legal concerns. You have to intentionally delete them or update them to a neutered version, yourself.

But there is no newer version available.  Also OP seemed to like it after a fresh install two days ago.

Again, where's the reference?

Geraintjdotcom

Activity: 11

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 08:41:41 PM

A few free ios apps I am sing for bitcoin:

Bitcoin ticker
Bitcoin free (monitor mtgox really)
Guild lite (monitot my workers)

Gj
smeg4brains

Activity: 12

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 12:10:57 AM

But there is no newer version available.  Also OP seemed to like it after a fresh install two days ago.

I think that just the QR Code scanning feature was removed in the newer versions..

Other than that, everything is available on the web page anyway, so it's probably just a limited browser application that pins you to their site, and cleans up the interface a little..

I'd love to know if newer versions allow you to buy something by just pointing your camera at a QR code, and then hitting approve/send..
notme
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 02:46:47 AM

I think that just the QR Code scanning feature was removed in the newer versions..

Other than that, everything is available on the web page anyway, so it's probably just a limited browser application that pins you to their site, and cleans up the interface a little..

I'd love to know if newer versions allow you to buy something by just pointing your camera at a QR code, and then hitting approve/send..

I've still got QR

abrkn

Activity: 232
Merit: 150

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2012, 03:29:52 AM

Blockchain works well

keybase.io/abrkn/key.asc
smeg4brains

Activity: 12

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 04:12:51 AM

I've still got QR

Huh.. I just put it on the iPad, and I've got it there too.. It was definitely gone for a bit... I tried to put it on my wife's phone a while back and it was useless due to apples restrictions..

Looks like they quietly snuck it back it.. If you read the changelog it certainly looks like it should still be gone Smiley..
jonwaller

Activity: 58

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2012, 11:30:23 AM

https://walletbit.com/mobile has a mobile web app which you can attach to your home screen.

I watched a youtube video. Looks good.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: