Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:24:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3x S3 on a DPS-1200 at 120v?  (Read 542 times)
Witrebel (OP)

Activity: 116
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 04:44:22 PM

Waiting for an electrician to run 220v subpanel in my mining location.  Currently all I have available and unpopulated is a 20a 120v circuit.  I'd like to run 2xDPS-1200 on it, each powering 3xS3, but I know that may be pushing the PSU a bit hard given 120v input.  Have any of you ran something similar?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 04:53:10 PM

Waiting for an electrician to run 220v subpanel in my mining location.  Currently all I have available and unpopulated is a 20a 120v circuit.  I'd like to run 2xDPS-1200 on it, each powering 3xS3, but I know that may be pushing the PSU a bit hard given 120v input.  Have any of you ran something similar?

No problem whatsoever for the PSU. But the circuit can't handle it, or i would but at "overload", over the 80% continuous load rating. Since 120v * 20a = 2400 * 0.8 = 1920 at the wall continuous load limit. Assuming you actually get 120v.

You can do it and its probably not dangerous. But if you want to stay under the 1920watt at the wall limit, you would not have to underclock a whole lot since 6 S3 could pull something like 2130watts, or you could run 5 S3 on it and forget about it.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 04:56:59 PM

Waiting for an electrician to run 220v subpanel in my mining location.  Currently all I have available and unpopulated is a 20a 120v circuit.  I'd like to run 2xDPS-1200 on it, each powering 3xS3, but I know that may be pushing the PSU a bit hard given 120v input.  Have any of you ran something similar?

The PSU is only rated for 900w @ 120V. You need 240V to pull 1200w from it. Stick to 2x S3 per PSU until you have 240V available.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 04:58:59 PM

Waiting for an electrician to run 220v subpanel in my mining location.  Currently all I have available and unpopulated is a 20a 120v circuit.  I'd like to run 2xDPS-1200 on it, each powering 3xS3, but I know that may be pushing the PSU a bit hard given 120v input.  Have any of you ran something similar?

The PSU is only rated for 900w @ 120V. You need 240V to pull 1200w from it. Stick to 2x S3 per PSU until you have 240V available.

My bad, i did not properly do my homework on the DPS-1200FB. But if they can do 900w DC, then he would probably be okay still, since 340W at the wall means pretty much 300W DC. Maybe a one or two step underclock would be in order to not push your luck.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 05:15:30 PM

My bad, i did not properly do my homework on the DPS-1200FB. But if they can do 900w DC, then he would probably be okay still, since 340W at the wall means pretty much 300W DC. Maybe a one or two step underclock would be in order to not push your luck.

I don't know how he's clocking them, but going from memory 250MHz pulled about 400W DC. If that's how he's running them, I wouldn't do more than 2 per PSU on 120V.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 05:20:02 PM

I don't know how he's clocking them, but going from memory 250MHz pulled about 400W DC. If that's how he's running them, I wouldn't do more than 2 per PSU on 120V.

I doubt that, my S3 consumed 350 watts at the wall sligthly overclocked on G2 EVGA's, so that would be about 315W DC, i doubt you could even overclock a S3 to 400W DC without overvolting them somehow.

So stock -1 or -2 clock steps should easily be under 300W DC.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 05:22:55 PM

I doubt that, my S3 consumed 350 watts at the wall sligthly overclocked on G2 EVGA's, so that would be about 315W DC, i doubt you could even overclock a S3 to 400W DC without overvolting them somehow.

You're probably right, it's been a while since I measured them. I still have 2 heating the basement, I'll try to get a measurement sometime today.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 05:24:57 PM

You're probably right, it's been a while since I measured them. I still have 2 heating the basement, I'll try to get a measurement sometime today.

Its not too mission critical  anyways. We both agree that 2 S3(per PSU) is safe both for the PSU and the circuit and that 3 S3 per PSU is pushing the PSU at least to its limit and the circuit as well.

So the rest is just extra information for OP to properly clock his 4 or 6 S3 if he want to make conservative use of his electronics or not.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Witrebel (OP)

Activity: 116
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 08:43:31 PM

Given that this is remotely managed and that I've seen the power sag significantly, sounds like im better off leaving them full clock and doing 2 per PSU untill I get my wiring squared away.  Thanks for the feedback!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: