Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 04:02:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "Bitcoin Classic" is a classic attempt at a hostile takeover  (Read 8044 times)
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 10:15:23 AM

But we can grow much faster if its able to be used freely by businesses.
And the bigger the businesses that use it, the more quickly it will grow.

This is dangerous rhetoric which undermines the whole project. Need we remind people we are not investors in paypal 2.0 but a p2p currency that was designed to be self regulating and p2p outside the reach of corrupt banks, regulators and central planners.  We can fix technical mistakes along the way and even increase the blocksize if needed,  but one thing that cannot so easily be undone if whitewashing and corrupting Bitcoins primary principles in order to hastily become mainstream for some big payoff. If you believe we need to move quicker , than lets indeed work together and solve these problems in solidarity... but taking lazy shortcuts, especially ones that go against bitcoin's raison d'être and undermine everything.

This is pretty much exactly the point that I have been trying to make (thanks for elucidating it better than I did).

To me it is clear that this "pressure" to "fix block size now" is being applied simply in order to take control over the project and is not going to be of any benefit to anyone other than some large corporations who are wanting to profit by taking control of Bitcoin.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1588

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 10:31:13 AM

If Bitcoin Classic wins then Gavin is going to be the "benevolent dictator" (which I think has always been his desire).

Yeah... That's why the first thing he did after Satoshi's disappeared was to grant access to the code to 4 other devs and that's why he voluntarily stepped down as lead developer and passed the role to Wladimir in 2014. What a power-hungry maniac indeed.

▄██▄▄                          ▄████
             ▄█▀   ▀▀▄▄                    ▄█▀▀   ▀█▄
            █▀         ▀▄                ▄█▀        █▄
           █▀   ▄█▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀      ▀▄   █▄
          ▄█   ▄█▀███▄▄                          █   ▀█
          █    ▀   ▀████▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        █   █▄
          █         ▀████████████████████████▄▄▄      ██
         ██        ▄██████████████████████████████▄    ▀█▄
        ▄█▀     ▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████████▄▄   ▀█▄
      ▄█▀     █████████████              ▀▀████████████▄   █▄
    ▄█▀        ▄██████████████▀▀█▄    ▄▄     █  ▀██ ▀███▄   ██
   ███▄▄     ▄███████████▀▀           ▀██▄        ▀  ▀▀     █▀
     █▀     ███████████▀                               ▄▀   ██
    █▀    ▄██████████▀                       ▄▄▄       ▀   ▄█
   █▀    ▄██████████▀           ▄▄      ▀▀████████▄         ▀██▄
  █▀    ▄███████████          ▄██▀   ▀▀█▄   ▀███████▄▄▄██▄▄   ▀██▄
 █▀     ▀▀▀▀▀▀██████         ████      ▀██▄  ▀████████   ▀▀▀    ▀█▄
▄█              ▀▀█           ████  ▄▄█▄▄███▄  ▀██████           ▀█▄
██▄▄▄▄▄                       █████  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀████▄           ██
       ▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄                █████▄▄▄            ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▄██
               ▀▀▀▄▄           ▀█████████████████▄▄          ▄▀▀▀
                    ▀▀▄▄         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▀
                        ▀
.BETFURY..
|
         ▄▄▄▄▄████▀▄▄▄
      ▄███▀▀▀█▀▀  ▄████▄
    ▄██     ▀       ▀▀███▄
  ▄██   ▄██▄    ▄█▄   ▀████▄
 ██▀    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀█     ▀███
██▀   ▄███   ███▄▄▄█▄    ▀███
██    ███  ▄█▀▀█▀▀███     ███
██    ███▄▄██ █▄█▄ ███    ██▀
██        ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀     ██
██▄   ▄  ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄  ▄▄     ▄█▀
 ██▄█▀  █▄▄█ █▄  █ ▄▄   ▄██
  ███   █▄▄█ █   █▄▄█  ▄█▀
   ████▄             ▄██▀
    ▀█▀█▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
       ▀▀▀████▀▀▀▀
WIN REAL CRYPTO IN THE REAL DROP
JOIN $20,000,000 CRYPTODROP
|Join Fury Game
Get Free Crypto
BFG, USDT, BTC, ETH
|▄████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
████▀▀▀▀▀██████████▀▀▀████
████▄ ▀█▄ ▀██████▀  ▄█████
██████▄ ▀█▄ ▀██▀  ▄███████
████████▄ ▀█▄   ▄█████████
██████████▄ ██ ▀██████████
█████████▀   ▀█▄ ▀████████
███████▀  ▄██▄ ▀█▄ ▀██████
█████▀  ▄██████▄ ▀█▄ ▀████
████▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄▄▄████
 ████████████████████████
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████▀▀█████
███████████▀▀▀    █████
██████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ██████
███▄     ▄█▀     ██████
██████▄ █▀      ███████
███████▌▐       ███████
████████ ▄██▄  ████████
██████████████▄████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
...PLAY...
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 10:37:33 AM

If Bitcoin Classic wins then Gavin is going to be the "benevolent dictator" (which I think has always been his desire).

Yeah... That's why the first thing he did after Satoshi's disappeared was to grant access to the code to 4 other devs and that's why he voluntarily stepped down as lead developer and passed the role to Wladimir in 2014. What a power-hungry maniac indeed.

its open sauce bottle

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
pawel7777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 10:45:11 AM

its open sauce bottle

Theoretically, any user of an open-source program is free to create, adopt, or reject any alterations he pleases; in practice, software shared on networks or between users requires painstaking standardization. This means relying on decision-makers with “commit access”, who have the right to amend a software project directly, on their own. This status represents a high level of developer control, and of user trust.

▀
.BETFURY..
|
         ▄▄▄▄▄████▀▄▄▄
      ▄███▀▀▀█▀▀  ▄████▄
    ▄██     ▀       ▀▀███▄
  ███   █▄▄█ █   █▄▄█  ▄█▀
   ████▄             ▄██▀
    ▀█▀█▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
       ▀▀▀████▀▀▀▀
|Join Fury Game
Get Free Crypto
BFG, USDT, BTC, ETH
 ████████████████████████
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████▀▀█████
███████████▀▀▀    █████
██████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ██████
███▄     ▄█▀     ██████
██████▄ █▀      ███████
███████▌▐       ███████
████████ ▄██▄  ████████
██████████████▄████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
...PLAY...
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 10:45:56 AM

I don't think he is a power-hungry maniac - but I do think that he thinks he (or his group) should be "calling the shots". If not then why support XT and now Classic which both have stated that they don't agree with the way that the Bitcoin project is being managed?

Why not just go back to working with the Bitcoin Core devs (which he possibly could still do as he didn't "burn his bridges" like Hearn did)?

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

sadface

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 10:54:41 AM

I don't think he is a power-hungry maniac - but I do think that he thinks he (or his group) should be "calling the shots". If not then why support XT and now Classic which both have stated that they don't agree with the way that the Bitcoin project is being managed?

i'd much rather see more of those "groups" you keep mentioning. lets open up development. there is a mechanism in place to solve all the issues - miners will form a consensus. if anything the whole debate should illustrate that a core group in charge of development is slowing bitcoin down.
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 10:58:08 AM

i'd much rather see more of those "groups" you keep mentioning. lets open up development. there is a mechanism in place to solve all the issues - miners will form a consensus. if anything the whole debate should illustrate that a core group in charge of development is slowing bitcoin down.

Basically then you are advocating that we should have many blockchains not one.

I fail to see this as anything different to supporting the various alts that we have already - so why don't the miners just do that?

Personally I think this would be fine and it would solve the tx/sec issue if we simply divided everything into a thousand different chains.

Maybe all we need is a universal wallet and we've nailed it.  Tongue

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 11:13:02 AM

come on ciyam.. you and me both know that we as individuals can read code.. and see if the code has anything dodgy in it (which some implementations have)

you and me both know that changing our current implementations to accept 2mb is only a few lines of code..
you and me both know that the hardware cost for 20 years of 2mb full blocks storage is only $100

so we both know that 2mb blocks are not the doomsday scenario. because we know blocks wont automatically be 100% full to 2mb from day one, but would take time over months for miners to adapt and test the waters..

so we know the only real debate is which dev team to trust to give us clean code.. or if their implementation of the bitcoin program also include other features that can cause abuse to fungibility or rarity, etc.

so how about open a github of an exact replica of bitcoin-core 0.11 with the only change being a GUI dialog box that allows users to set their own block limit..

imagine if everyone made a github replica that had just the feature of user controlled evolution.. and the community that can read code vetted it to say which versions were clean of any other dodgy features..

afterall if there are 10+ different implementations and 8 of them are clean.. then the 2 dirty devcrew would soon be weeded out and people would stop using them.. rather then debating which one of the 2 bandcamps to choose.. there would be 10+ different implementations with 8 being replica's of 0.11 with just the block increase tweak..

people wont need to debate which bandcamp of wacky /abusive features some deceptive corporate shill may also have hidden. as there are more then just 2 choices..
people wont need to debate control issues around there being only two working implementation and killing off innovation
people wont need to debate relying on that one working implementation being reliable to need to upgrade to later.. because they wont need upgrades, just setting tweaks..

so then people can change limits themselves when the needs must. without heartache, debate or constantly downloading new implementations in 2017 onwards.

in short.. having 10 differing implementations that all consensus to a 2mb limit is better then trying to get everyone into one of 2 bandcamps owned by corporations or have hidden agenda's

and later.. when the community as a whole have settled down and can all say they have the ability to increase to 2mb.. its a simple change of value in a dialog box.
and when the networking handshake shows that the majority of the community is 2mb ready because the majority of users have the setting set... then and only then will miners start churning out blocks bigger than 1mb but less than 2mb without problems.. because they wont want to do it before-hand as their blocks would get thrown out and their coinbase wins will be deemed unspendable.. so its not in their interest to churn out blocks that users wont keep

im not saying miners will fill blocks to 2mb instantly.. it will, in reality be something like 1.025mb at first which wont impact their hashing time.. and slowly increase as miners get comfortable adding more transactions to blocks (dipping their toe in the water).

edit:
there wont be multiple chains because miners wont screw themselves over mining blocks that the majority of users throw out. so miners will only do something different if there is consensus..
so there is no harm in having 20 different implementations as long as the main block checking rules all match and thus everyone is working off the same chain because their rules are compatible (consensus)

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 11:15:51 AM

Unfortunately your idea of "voting" becomes the Sybil problem (the very thing that Bitcoin was created to solve).

So how do you propose to make sure that the vote is fair?

(of course we already have that mechanism in place - don't we?)

Your very simplistic idea would really be the equivalent of me putting a "poll" on this topic to vote who should control the Bitcoin development.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 11:21:20 AM

Why not just go back to working with the Bitcoin Core devs (which he possibly could still do as he didn't "burn his bridges" like Hearn did)?

bitcoin-core dev team have an agenda.. they even route out a map for it..

what gavin done was see that bitcoin-core was getting too powerful and thought people needed more freedom of choice.
he did not force changes into bitcoin-core.. he instead made a new implementation that gave people 2 choices.. xt or core..

yes 100mb blocks and 8mb blocks were abit silly idea.. but decentralising the implementations and allowing freedom of choice is a good thing..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 11:22:09 AM

its open sauce bottle

Theoretically, any user of an open-source program is free to create, adopt, or reject any alterations he pleases; in practice, software shared on networks or between users requires painstaking standardization. This means relying on decision-makers with “commit access”, who have the right to amend a software project directly, on their own. This status represents a high level of developer control, and of user trust.

start a new project and give commit acess to the miners

they are after all the people running the network

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
pawel7777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 12:50:28 PM

Define 'his group'? Majority of bitcoiners who want to stick to the original plan of scaling up and keep BTC useful also as a currency (inb4 - no it doesn't have to Visa-level volume)?

He wants to be calling the shots? Probably. But so do the core devs, and so does everyone else really. Everyone wants to see things going their way and get annoyed if they don't. And that's exactly why you're using scare tactics of 'hostile attack' and accusing him of dictatorship aspirations (despite the evidence), simply because his views are not in line with yours.

Gentle reminder: you (and other "1mb for life" supporters) are the one who wants to turn Bitcoin into something it wasn't originally meant to be. There's nothing wrong with it, but lets not pretend it's otherwise.

Gentle reminder2:  When the XT kicked in, the core devs pretty much agreed that block size should be lifted at some point, they just wanted more time and less aggressive change. The proposed 2mb is very conservative, so lets see how it unfolds.

Working on what? Preparing ground for the upcoming Blockstream services? How would you effectively co-operate with bunch of people with different goals in mind?

start a new project and give commit acess to the miners

they are after all the people running the network

Huh? What are you on about?

▀
.BETFURY..
|
         ▄▄▄▄▄████▀▄▄▄
      ▄███▀▀▀█▀▀  ▄████▄
    ▄██     ▀       ▀▀███▄
  ███   █▄▄█ █   █▄▄█  ▄█▀
   ████▄             ▄██▀
    ▀█▀█▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
       ▀▀▀████▀▀▀▀
|Join Fury Game
Get Free Crypto
BFG, USDT, BTC, ETH
 ████████████████████████
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████▀▀█████
███████████▀▀▀    █████
██████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ██████
███▄     ▄█▀     ██████
██████▄ █▀      ███████
███████▌▐       ███████
████████ ▄██▄  ████████
██████████████▄████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
...PLAY...
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 12:55:33 PM

Gentle reminder: you (and other "1mb for life" supporters) are the one who wants to turn Bitcoin into something it wasn't originally meant to be. There's nothing wrong with it, but lets not pretend it's otherwise.

Gentle reminder2:  When the XT kicked in, the core devs pretty much agreed that block size should be lifted at some point, they just wanted more time and less aggressive change. The proposed 2mb is very conservative, so lets see how it unfolds.

Please don't "talk down to people" with such stupid things as "gentle reminders" (it just makes you look bad really).

If you want to be taken seriously then such condescending comments don't help.

For the record: I actually have never stated that I think the block size should remain "1MB for life" so in fact you are just putting words into my mouth (mostly I have just questioned the "sense of urgency" for bigger blocks that is being used by Gavin and others vying for control of the project).

(Gentle reminder: Don't make up crap about what other people have said or supposedly support in order to suit your own arguments.) Cheesy

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 02:03:48 PM

SOLUTION:

Stick to Core's Scaling Roadmap HOWEVER add an advanced configuration window to allow node operators to increase their block size limits at their own risk. This would allow current Core customers to track the longest proof-of-work chain (regardless of the success of Bitcoin Classic), while simultaneously allowing Core developers to continue to work on the scaling roadmap that they’ve committed to.

and thats the agenda solution i also thought of..
but funny that they rejected it to stick to their agenda solution

who can tell what you're babbling on about in this thread, but I can help you out one way: FTFY  Wink

Vires in numeris
SamusNi

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 02:17:50 PM

Again we have another "we must increase the block size ASAP" fork crap - under the most stupid name "Bitcoin Classic".

It's a "classic" alright - a "classic attempt to FUD people into letting a small bunch of wannabe Bitcoin overlords take over the project".

The blocks are not even nearly full most of the time (apart from attacks which are just spam being used to fill up the mempool for FUD reasons).

The reason that people don't use Bitcoin for normal txs is "why the hell would they?".

Even if a vendor were to offer a cheaper price for paying in BTC you still have to change your fiat into BTC to purchase from them (and then most likely BitPay or another provider is going to take at least 1% commission).

If you don't purchase your BTC via an exchange (and no average person is going to do that to just buy something) then most likely you are going to pay at least 5% commission - so if you are ending up with 6% commission - did you save anything from using a credit card?

Also you can't get a refund if you pay with BTC - so the masses are not screaming to pay with BTC at all (far from it - if it cannot be reversed then I suspect 99% of people would not want to use it as certainly every person I have spoken to does not like the idea).

Can we stop with the FUD and let the project just continue to improve the tech?

I'm the creator of the recent parody videos here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1329377

And I approve this message.
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 02:27:36 PM

I actually did LOL watching it - well done!

pawel7777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 02:30:32 PM

Please don't "talk down to people" with such stupid things as "gentle reminders" (it just makes you look bad really).

If you want to be taken seriously then such condescending comments don't help.

For the record: I actually have never stated that I think the block size should remain "1MB for life" so in fact you are just putting words into my mouth (mostly I have just questioned the "sense of urgency" for bigger blocks that is being used by Gavin and others vying for control of the project).

(Gentle reminder: Don't make up crap about what other people have said or supposedly support in order to suit your own arguments.) Cheesy

Don't be overreacting. As annoying as it may be for some, 'gentle reminder' is not an offensive term on its own.

Since you don't oppose lifting 1mb (I made wrong assumption - my bad) then what's the problem with 'bitcoin classic'? Is it all about timing? You strongly oppose lifting it now, creating a topic about 'hostile attack' etc, but, if in couple of months blocks happen to be full - you will be all in favour of it? Am I getting this right?

▀
.BETFURY..
|
         ▄▄▄▄▄████▀▄▄▄
      ▄███▀▀▀█▀▀  ▄████▄
    ▄██     ▀       ▀▀███▄
  ███   █▄▄█ █   █▄▄█  ▄█▀
   ████▄             ▄██▀
    ▀█▀█▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
       ▀▀▀████▀▀▀▀
|Join Fury Game
Get Free Crypto
BFG, USDT, BTC, ETH
 ████████████████████████
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████▀▀█████
███████████▀▀▀    █████
██████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ██████
███▄     ▄█▀     ██████
██████▄ █▀      ███████
███████▌▐       ███████
████████ ▄██▄  ████████
██████████████▄████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
...PLAY...
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 02:32:43 PM

Since you don't oppose lifting 1mb (I made wrong assumption - my bad) then what's the problem with 'bitcoin classic'? Is it all about timing? You strongly oppose lifting it now, creating a topic about 'hostile attack' etc, but, if in couple of months blocks happen to be full - you will be all in favour of it? Am I getting this right?

I am not opposed to raising the block limit per se but what I am opposed to is the dumping of the Bitcoin Core development team in favour of another team when I don't see that the Bitcoin Core team deserve to be dumped (they have only done good things so far IMO).

The agenda of both XT and now Classic is to take control away from the current Bitcoin Core developers (I don't there is any doubt about that) and that is what I have a problem with.

If someone can convince me (without resorting to silly conspiracy theories or ridiculous needs for everyone to buy coffees with BTC) that the Bitcoin Core team is inferior to some new team then I would happily change my opinion (but so far I've seen nothing to persuade me that we are seeing anything more than politics hence why I created this topic).

allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 02:36:09 PM

Wow, old time Bitcoin hardliners are waking up. Well, that took long enough.

I've been saying for about four years that the Bitcoin economy only exists to give miners someplace to spend their mined coins. When that stops there won't be any economy unless something drastic happens. Before the government crackdown people would buy btc to spend on illegal onion network contraband. Now that's over. Does anyone really think people are wasting time buying Bitcoin to transfer a few bucks overseas or buy a gallon of milk? Surely no one here is really that naive.

If no place to spend their money, then in reality, there is no market.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 02:48:09 PM

I am not opposed to raising the block limit per se but what I am opposed to is the dumping of the Bitcoin Core development team in favour of another team when I don't see that the Bitcoin Core team deserve to be dumped (they have only done good things so far IMO).

The agenda of both XT and now Classic is to take control away from the current Bitcoin Core developers (I don't there is any doubt about that) and that is what I have a problem with.

If someone can convince me (without resorting to silly conspiracy theories or ridiculous needs for everyone to buy coffees with BTC) that the Bitcoin Core team is inferior to some new team then I would happily change my opinion (but so far I've seen nothing to persuade me that we are seeing anything more than politics hence why I created this topic).

This is really the crux of the matter.

"Core supporters" want development to be centralized in the hands of a few guys.

Everyone else wants decentralized development and multiple implementations.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: