Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 03:30:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I have only 1 ethernet port, Is there a way to multiply it?  (Read 636 times)
radres (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 03:04:56 PM

Hello everyone,

You can understand from the title that I have no technical details about this.

In where I live I have only one ethernet line. That is regulated by the facility I'm living in. I am using it for my main computer and use hotspot for my other devices. I do not know if they can block my access if I try to multiply it using a switch.

What do you guys think?
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 5032

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 03:06:56 PM

Hello everyone,

In where I live I have only one ethernet line. That is regulated by the facility I'm living in. I am using it for my main computer and use hotspot for my other devices. I do not know if they can block my access if I try to multiply it using a switch.

What do you guys think?

depends on the rest of the setup... If you're behind a router that has it's own DHCP server, you can usually just install a switch. If not, a router has to be used, the WAN port connected to your ethernet cable, the LAN ports for your internal network. Offcourse, it has to be setup correctly.

When you connect your pc with the ehternet outlet, does your current ip address start with 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x? In that case, you're probably behind a router, and you can probably just use a switch...

Please notice the word PROBABLY. The person that has setup your network might have used things like MAC address filtering, static ip's only,... in this case you'll still have to use a router instead of a switch

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
radres (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 03:11:36 PM

Hello everyone,

What do you guys think?

depends on the rest of the setup... If you're behind a router that has it's own DHCP server, you can usually just install a switch. If not, a router has to be used, the WAN port connected to your ethernet cable, the LAN ports for your internal network. Offcourse, it has to be setup correctly.

When you connect your pc with the ehternet outlet, does your current ip address start with 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x? In that case, you're probably behind a router

It starts with 139...

so if I get a router I can connect more devices?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 03:25:35 PM

-snip-
It starts with 139...

Yes, you will probably need a router a switch is not enough. Set it on DHCP on the WAN port and let it create a local network on the other side. Whoever provides internet for you can detect what kind of device is at the end of the cable, but as long as you dont mess anything up I dont think they will block you. The best way to understand the setup is probably to ask them.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
cryptodevil
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1253

Thread-puller extraordinaire

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 03:26:06 PM

Attach a router to that ethernet line and disable DHCP so the main router is still in charge of issuing IP addresses, and you'll have extra wired connections and your own wifi.

WARNING!!! Check your forum URLs carefully and avoid links to phishing sites like 'thebitcointalk' 'bitcointalk.to' and 'BitcointaLLk'
MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 07:17:46 PM

-snip-
It starts with 139...

Yes, you will probably need a router a switch is not enough. Set it on DHCP on the WAN port and let it create a local network on the other side. Whoever provides internet for you can detect what kind of device is at the end of the cable, but as long as you dont mess anything up I dont think they will block you. The best way to understand the setup is probably to ask them.

This is the correct advice. IP address of 139.x.x.x is an internet IP.

Get yourself a wifi router with extra ethernet (LAN) ports on it. Connect your current internet ethernet cable to the WAN port on the router. Connect your computers to the LAN ports. These routers usually come configured for DHCP on the WAN side, which is probably what you want. Check your computer and ensure that its adapter is set to DHCP, if thats the case then the router will have to be as well.

When your computers are connected to the LAN side your IP addresses will be from the router's DHCP server. So you'll have private class IPs. Either 172.16.x.x to 172.31.x.x or 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: