Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:51:32 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Putting an S7 in the room I am sleeping in?  (Read 1679 times)
radres (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 03:59:44 PM

Hello everyone!

I need to let you know that I have never mined before. I was considering getting an S7. I need to ask you how noisy it is? If it is too noisy for sleeping, is there a way to isolate it?

thank you
Entropize

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 04:07:10 PM

On it's own it is way to noisy to sleep in the same room as. Even ducting it out of the room, I think it will still be too loud.

Got friends and family bugging you to explain Bitcoin? Point them to https://bitcoinfaq.info for some answers. I've built the site to have simple answers to complete newcomers and info on what is involved in getting started with mining.

I'm openly taking questions and updating the site with answers and walk-throughs.
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 04:10:46 PM

I couldn't sleep in the same room even with my Antminer S2. And S2 is less noisy than S7.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 04:33:16 PM

Hello everyone!

I need to let you know that I have never mined before. I was considering getting an S7. I need to ask you how noisy it is? If it is too noisy for sleeping, is there a way to isolate it?

thank you

Are you deaf? If not, then no.

The noise is about equivalent to someone screaming in your ears, non stop, constantly, you'll also damage your hearing pretty rapidly. If you're not deaf right now, you probably would become rather quickly.

I had to isolate the miner in a shelve covered in acoustic panels, then when its at half fan speed, the noise is bearable, in the next room with the door closed. Bearable as in under the 60dB threshold of noise you can listen to without hurting.

At which point then using ear plug make it "quiet".

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 04:37:50 PM

Everyone is different but I would find it hard to sleep in same room....about half as loud as a vacuum cleaner running depending on the fan speed you run it at. Then you will have the heat also....so depending on where you live it may get warm in the room as well.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 04:38:29 PM

Honestly at first it will be crazy loud and you won't be able to stand it but eventually you will get used to it and your mind will just filter out the noise and you can probably sleep in it. I live in a noisy city so the miners actually help filter out cars and people talking outside.

But for an S7, you will need to add a muffler or two or undervolt it.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 04:41:35 PM

Everyone is different but I would find it hard to sleep in same room....about half as loud as a vacuum cleaner running depending on the fan speed you run it at. Then you will have the heat also....so depending on where you live it may get warm in the room as well.

Well, my S7 running at lower fan speed, has a super noisy and high pitch noise. And even at highly reduced fan speed, my dB read it louder than my shop vac at one feet, so. Sleeping with a S7 in the room is perhaps like having 1 shop vac taped to each of your ears.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 04:56:56 PM

Well, my S7 running at lower fan speed, has a super noisy and high pitch noise. And even at highly reduced fan speed, my dB read it louder than my shop vac at one feet, so. Sleeping with a S7 in the room is perhaps like having 1 shop vac taped to each of your ears.

Not to mention the PSU if your using the 220/240 Bitmain one that thing has a small high rpm fan.  But I would not suggest for anyone to sleep with a S7 in their room, it as just not built for quiet use.  It's loud enough it will be a issue for most in room you sleep in.

If you need one in your room look more at Avalon 6.  It will give you a quieter machine.  Yes it will cost more per T but you will be able to sleep with it in same room, I had it in mine during a lot of the testing I did on it.

S7 is a good machine but you really need an area for it in my view.  Unless you do some modification to make it quieter.
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 06:31:43 PM

Would anybody's opinion change if you were willing to underclock it to say 500 MHz and then reduce the fan speed accordingly? I get that it's loud device as it normally ships from Bitmain. Can it be "tamed" if you are willing to sacrifice hashrate?

Anybody ever tried this experiment?
cryptotore

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 06:34:15 PM

Honestly at first it will be crazy loud and you won't be able to stand it but eventually you will get used to it and your mind will just filter out the noise and you can probably sleep in it. I live in a noisy city so the miners actually help filter out cars and people talking outside.

But for an S7, you will need to add a muffler or two or undervolt it.

Get used to it, aka damage your hearing. Tongue

No, you can absolutely not sleep in the same room as an S7.
Search youtube for "antminer s7" and listen for yourself.
left-ca

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 07:09:27 PM

I actually sleep in my dorm which i have an S7 in. Its a batch 4 and i undervolt it to ~500 frequency and i put fan on 35%. The chips run at around 50-53 C...however i think I am used to it by now. Im starting to have second thoughts about a few weeks of the constant fucking noise. On a side note....does anyone know of any hosting for the miners? If so could you please send me some details. Please and thankyou
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 07:18:32 PM

I actually sleep in my dorm which i have an S7 in. Its a batch 4 and i undervolt it to ~500 frequency and i put fan on 35%. The chips run at around 50-53 C...however i think I am used to it by now. Im starting to have second thoughts about a few weeks of the constant fucking noise. On a side note....does anyone know of any hosting for the miners? If so could you please send me some details. Please and thankyou

What country are the miners located in? There are tons and who you go with pretty much depend where you are located. Contact Allinvain for Canada.

And you can "get used to it" if you want but anything around that noise level will damage your hearing over time. It tooks months for me but eventually it caused damage to my eardrum and its been taking months to fully heal.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 10:46:26 PM

please dont do it, they are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too loud
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 10:48:13 PM

What country are the miners located in? There are tons and who you go with pretty much depend where you are located. Contact Allinvain for Canada.

And you can "get used to it" if you want but anything around that noise level will damage your hearing over time. It tooks months for me but eventually it caused damage to my eardrum and its been taking months to fully heal.

You can lower that fan to 30 or even 25, make sure your temps are 60-65.  65-70 would be high but okay (too much in my opinion)
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 11:42:16 PM

I kept an SP10 in my room for 6 months and an Avalon gen 1 before that - don't. Whether or not you can is not the question.

cinnamon_carter
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

It's about time -- All merrit accepted !!!

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 11:58:26 PM

you got your answer , i just had to post to this thread since i was amused by the question and the variety of answers you got !!!

good luck (also you may need some blankets since not related to noise I think the s7 runs a lot hotter than the s5 so you may want to keep the room temperature low

the unit will blow heat but unless it is pretty cool in there i think running these miners in a normal household temperature range is not recommended unless you are going to really lower the clock speed

you would not want to burn it up

Check out my coin Photon
Merge Mine 5 other Blake 256 coins - 6x your hash power  https://www.blakecoin.org/

The obvious choice is not always the best choice.

LOOK DEEPER - Look into the Blake 256 Family -- CC
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2016, 02:26:31 PM

Please dont do it.  Even at low fan speeds you will hear it when you sleep.  It wont be extremely loud, but its not good for sleeping.  And your room will be very hot.  its a 1300w hair dryer man.  im sorry.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
March 22, 2016, 08:12:37 PM

I sleep with my S3, although an S7 might be just way to loud for a white noise.
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2016, 08:15:44 PM

My 2pcs S7 are in another room in a DIY soundproof cabinet but they still make a lot of noise.

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2016, 08:27:06 PM

Please stop that. Do you want hearing damage that will last the rest of your life? The noise will damage your hearing without pain and when you notice you are not hearing as well as you used to it is too late. You could be using hearing aids before you are 25.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: