Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:38:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blocks are full.  (Read 14928 times)
labwork

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 03:19:19 PM

It is frustrating how much energy is being wasted.  Just scale the blocksize  already...

it need consensus, dev don't want to release something that will not gather enough consensus and be useless basically

they are trying to see what the majority want before decide their move

Is there any estimate of how much longer this consensus gathering will take yet? I'm starting to get a little anxious here

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 03:24:08 PM

You tx is full of "dust" (I assume you've been using faucets or the like to have accumulated that).

If you want to spend "dust" then unfortunately you have to pay more fees to do so (otherwise the network would just get drowned in such txs).

Not quite dust. More like using singles to pay $100.

If time is not of essence these small inputs sitting in people's wallets should just be allowed to age and then consolidated using a low-fee, low-priority transaction. We did this all the time in the old days but it seems like many users today don't even know how.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 03:34:43 PM

It is frustrating how much energy is being wasted.  Just scale the blocksize  already...

it need consensus, dev don't want to release something that will not gather enough consensus and be useless basically

Is there any estimate of how much longer this consensus gathering will take yet? I'm starting to get a little anxious here

it seems that core is the primarely candidate, and the new update is expected around april, so you must until then to have a capacity increase and other cool feature added
Edwardard

Activity: 1050
Merit: 681

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2016, 04:06:14 PM

You tx is full of "dust" (I assume you've been using faucets or the like to have accumulated that).

If you want to spend "dust" then unfortunately you have to pay more fees to do so (otherwise the network would just get drowned in such txs).

If time is not of essence these small inputs sitting in people's wallets should just be allowed to age and then consolidated using a low-fee, low-priority transaction. We did this all the time in the old days but it seems like many users today don't even know how.

These income seems dust today, but when bitcoin becomes more value in the future, they will be valuable and any signal income can be spent to buy things and incur very little fees.
AliceWonderMiscreations

Activity: 182
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2016, 10:26:06 AM

There should be a button in the client. I don't think there is.

I hereby reserve the right to sometimes be wrong
jt byte

Activity: 994
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 11:33:04 AM

It is frustrating how much energy is being wasted.  Just scale the blocksize  already...

You are right. It makes no sense the block size hasn't been increased yet.
Either China has to decided if they want to stop the blockchain from growing, which should mean they are out.

Or they support it and we will see a bigger block size.
So yeah I don't understand we are at our limit and no estimate for a new code change has been announced yet.
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2016, 11:40:02 AM

I also think the blocksize should be risen to 2 or 4mb.
But transactions still working like they should. not bad at all at the moment.

teddy5145

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 11:43:42 AM

These income seems dust today, but when bitcoin becomes more value in the future, they will be valuable and any signal income can be spent to buy things and incur very little fees.
Then we can wait to spend that dust until bitcoin reaches $1000 Wink
But as for now it will get rejected by the network because of how low the money being transferred are Wink
Probably when halving occurs that money will no longer be considered as dust Tongue
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 11:44:15 AM

some bit of news.. my transaction was removed from the system.. like it never happened..
i was able to resend the coins..

i wouldnt call that working as intended.. its a HUGE flaw in the bitcoin system that would be VERY easy to exploit..

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1072

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2016, 12:04:45 PM

some bit of news.. my transaction was removed from the system.. like it never happened..

i wouldnt call that working as intended.. its a HUGE flaw in the bitcoin system that would be VERY easy to exploit..

Huh? It was dropped from the mempool exactly as it should (you haven't found anything to exploit at all).

There is a reason why merchants should not accept zero confirmation txs (so if you think you have just made some major discovery then I'm sorry to have to disappoint you - but you haven't).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
aarons6
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 12:22:31 PM

Huh? It was dropped from the mempool exactly as it should (you haven't found anything to exploit at all).

There is a reason why merchants should not accept zero confirmation txs (so if you think you have just made some major discovery then I'm sorry to have to disappoint you - but you haven't).

there should be no "exactly as it should" dropped transactions.

a transaction that is left unconfirmed for x amount of time.. 1 hours or so max.. should be auto confirmed..

this is a FLAW. this will keep bitcoin from being accepted in ANY business type setting..

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2016, 12:32:03 PM

a transaction that is left unconfirmed for x amount of time.. 1 hours or so max.. should be auto confirmed..

this is a FLAW. this will keep bitcoin from being accepted in ANY business type setting..

I see - well how about you provide the "fix" then genius and show us all how much smarter than Satoshi you are. Cheesy

(am guessing you must have bought your account to be so ignorant about Bitcoin yet supposedly a Hero Member)

You've earned a "heroic facepalm" (I'll let someone else provide the image).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

aarons6
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 12:37:13 PM

I see - well how about you provide the "fix" then genius and show us all how much smarter than Satoshi you are. Cheesy

(am guessing you must have bought your account to be so ignorant about Bitcoin yet supposedly a Hero Member)

You've earned a "heroic facepalm" (I'll let someone else provide the image).

serious?

ok so say i own a shop.. i sell whatever.. i take bitcoin..

am i really supposed to have a waiting area in my shop where my customers have to wait till the transaction confirms before they are allowed to leave??

you dont see this as a huge problem?

and no i been on this site for years.. and i been using bitcoin for years.. even buy and sell things with bitcoin.. and no i usually dont make my customers wait to leave.. ive never had a transaction just fail.. luckily that transaction was one i made, and since i am honest i resent it.

oh and im guessing that since you think 4$ and 5$ payments are DUST and you should hold them till bitcoin reaches 1000$ you dont actually use bitcoin to buy anything. :/
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2016, 12:38:47 PM

So if you know how Bitcoin works then why are you making such stupid complaints and requesting impossible features?

While we get the devs solving your problem I hope that they can make me a time machine so I can go back and buy more Bitcoins in 2009 (which is about as possible as what you are asking for).

I use credit cards to buy things online like 99.99% of the rest of the developed world (maybe you should do that to).

aarons6
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 12:46:47 PM

So if you know how Bitcoin works then why are you making such stupid complaints and requesting impossible features?

While we get the devs solving your problem I hope that they can make me a time machine so I can go back and buy more Bitcoins in 2009 (which is about as possible as what you are asking for).

I use credit cards to buy things like 99.99% of the rest of the developed world (maybe you should do that to).

if everyone is as close minded about this as you are i wish bitcoin a lot of luck for the future.

i like bitcoin, but it has flaws that needs fixed.. hence this thread..

and i cant see how fixing the transaction confirmation time is an "impossible feature" really.. if it took you an hour to get your money from the atm nobody would use them?

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2016, 12:49:12 PM

I have dealt with "end users" like you before who refuse to even bother to do the most basic research about how something actually works and instead make "childish demands".

After you've gone and learned about how Bitcoin works then maybe come back and ask a question.

But to put it more simply - Bitcoin is not for you - so please stop using it.

aarons6
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 12:53:10 PM

I have dealt with "end users" like you before who refuse to even bother to do the most basic research about how something actually works and instead make "childish demands".

After you've gone and learned about how Bitcoin works then maybe come back and ask a question.

But to put it more simply - Bitcoin is not for you - so please stop using it.

HAHAHA if bitcoin is just for people that think they know everything on some forum then its DOOMED to die a horrible death..

but good luck with your all knowing and god like libido, sorry meant ego.

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2016, 12:55:32 PM

HAHAHA if bitcoin is just for people that think they know everything on some forum then its DOOMED to die a horrible death..

My guess is that you're actually a paid shill but have made such a failure of your "point" that you are just resorting to insults.

Before you stop using Bitcoin I would recommend you sell your account (you should get at least 0.01 BTC for it and maybe even higher if you delete your silliest posts).

(do you even know what the word "libido" means?)

bitlost

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 01:24:51 PM

well i agree completely but i also think 95% is unrealistic because if it was that clear, there wouldn't be an issue. 75% feels like the right number.  
I think two coins would be bad.  one united bitcoin is ideal.

You think 2 competing coins is bad but are ready to risk it with a low 75%? We have already have had multiple soft forks with 95% so I don't understand why you believe that is unachievable especially when the polls indicate that over 95% of the miners are ok with 2MB HF. The core devs are also ok with a 2MB hardfork in feb/march 2017 bringing it to an effective 4MB. So the only real contention is the the timeline ... but that can't possibly be the case because even with an extremely rushed HF, segwit is going live before or near the same time as classic bringing a similar capacity increase... which leads me to think that the true number classic wants is 4MB or higher capacity by mid 16' where they do a BIP 102 bump and than copy cores work on segwit.

So if its really 4MB on the chain what is wanted this year ... do you think a compromise can be made where the 4MB+ capacity(likely higher because LN may roll out this year too) can be accelerated to later this year(Pieter already said that with high consensus a 6 month HF may be possible) instead of March 17' if we work together on the node drop off rate, talking about an IETF governance model for devs and mining centralization problems? Is this something even worth pursuing you think or are there other needs not being met?

What I fear is that it really isn't about 2MB or even 4MB ... but this is BIP 101 which is the highest voted for proposal. https://bitcoin.consider.it/
Are my fears unfounded... or are those numbers right and Bitcoin classic is merely a re-branded XT? If it isn't than surely a compromise for and effective  4MB can be found ... right?

Very informative post here.

Do you guys have a guess on the behavior of bitcoin price after the hard fork?
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2016, 03:21:49 PM

Very informative post here.

Do you guys have a guess on the behavior of bitcoin price after the hard fork?
In the case of 75% vs. 25% (i.e. split) -> negative effect (how much is debatable and speculation).
In the case of a high consensus threshold (95% maybe) -> neutral/slightly negative or positive effect.

if everyone is as close minded about this as you are i wish bitcoin a lot of luck for the future.
i like bitcoin, but it has flaws that needs fixed.. hence this thread..

and i cant see how fixing the transaction confirmation time is an "impossible feature" really.. if it took you an hour to get your money from the atm nobody would use them?
No. Segwit fixes flaws, a block size increase with Classic does nothing. The transaction "confirmation time" won't be "fixed" and is an impossible feature. If we start changing such fundamental rules we might as well move to another currency. Transacting money takes about a second. Confirmation time is something else and is usually 10 minutes per confirmation.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: