Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:26:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Bitcoin Classic Contributors Stoned on LSD and Hash?  (Read 1322 times)
MicroGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2016, 04:15:01 PM

Bitcoin Classic’s Magical Mystery Tour

Michael Toomim, a main proponent of Bitcoin Classic, and brother of main developer, recently made enlightening comments in a Slack developer channel dedicated to Bitcoin Core.

Toomim has been associated closely with the newest Bitcoin client purporting to be the solution Bitcoin needs in order to scale amid its block size debate.

The comments were verified as vintage Toomim numerous times by people in the chat at the time and by Bitcoinist during a chat with a member who partook in a Google Hangout with Toomim. Toomim waxed transparently about his numerous beliefs.

In the chat Sunday night, Toomim, who participates in Bitcoin-related Github conversations, discussed his ideas for the future of Bitcoin, while apparently, at least high on marijuana, and possibly on LSD.

Full Story: http://bitcoinist.net/bitcoin-classic-acid/

~~

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 04:20:05 PM

Still made plenty of sense. Still has majority of companies and hashpower supporting.

Hey, I've got an idea. Since 2MB blocks sound reasonable, let's attack people instead of ideas. Keep it up! No one will see through that.

Bitcoin Classic Scary! Bad! Hard fork! Oh noes!

sadface

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 05:01:52 PM

this shit is getting boring microguy. it doesn't help either side and for sure not goldcoin. are you maybe high right now?
MicroGuy (OP)
Legendary

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2016, 05:07:07 PM

this shit is getting boring microguy. it doesn't help either side and for sure not goldcoin. are you maybe high right now?

Please don't shoot down the messenger. I didn't write this altcoin article. Smiley
billotronic
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 05:18:31 PM

Please don't shoot down the messenger. I didn't write this altcoin article. Smiley

no but your punk ass posted it here. what a load of shit. bitcoin deserves to die.

This post sums up why all this bullshit is a scam
Read It. Hate It. Change the facts that it represents.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606638.msg16139644#msg16139644
MicroGuy (OP)
Legendary

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2016, 05:23:09 PM

no but your punk ass posted it here. what a load of shit. bitcoin deserves to die.

This sub-forum has been extremely dull lately and Bitcoin Classic might bring it new life.

Sorry, if you disapprove of this post. Thank you for commenting.
rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 05:37:49 PM

Still made plenty of sense. Still has majority of companies and hashpower supporting.

Hey, I've got an idea. Since 2MB blocks sound reasonable, let's attack people instead of ideas. Keep it up! No one will see through that.

So I have a question Carnth (I know you've been around a while).  I reserve the right to create a new thread to ask this question.

I am thinking more and more based on what I'm reading and how the core team is reacting that there will be a split in algo's.  Bitcointalk, /r/bitcoin, icebreaker/luke-jr/thermos crowd will go with a GPU algo.  Everyone else splits to bitcoin-classic.

When this happens - which fork wins, does it all die or do they both survive?

I know it's a stupid question.
canth
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 12:52:59 AM

So I have a question Carnth (I know you've been around a while).  I reserve the right to create a new thread to ask this question.

I am thinking more and more based on what I'm reading and how the core team is reacting that there will be a split in algo's.  Bitcointalk, /r/bitcoin, icebreaker/luke-jr/thermos crowd will go with a GPU algo.  Everyone else splits to bitcoin-classic.

If someone wants to change the PoW function on the minority chain, then yes, it'll probably survive as an altcoin. However, this scorched earth plan would only be used in the most dire of situations which a 1MB->2MB HF certainly doesn't qualify for.

Also, gmaxwell should have been more careful when answering someone's questions yesterday about possibly changing the PoW algo. None of the core devs have any intention of doing this, save Luke-jr who doesn't care about being off on his own chain.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/41vqbo/bitcoindev_pieter_wuillle_its_ridiculous_to/

rdnkjdi
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 01:33:11 AM

Ah - thanks for the link and the opinion.  Too bad ... thought I was witnessing the mother of all short opportunities.
YarkoL
Legendary

Activity: 996
Merit: 1012

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 10:59:36 AM

If they really did move to another PoW algo, that would
drain a lot of altcoins of their hashing power. Why would you
mine some goofyCoin when you can point your GPUs to
Core teams offering?

“God does not play dice"
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 02:19:04 PM

Nobody cares if he was or wasn't high on something... Just like no one cares if you got drunk or not.
What matters is having uncensored discussions about moving forward and how.
rdnkjdi
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 06:25:34 PM

If someone wants to change the PoW function on the minority chain, then yes, it'll probably survive as an altcoin. However, this scorched earth plan would only be used in the most dire of situations which a 1MB->2MB HF certainly doesn't qualify for.

Also, gmaxwell should have been more careful when answering someone's questions yesterday about possibly changing the PoW algo. None of the core devs have any intention of doing this, save Luke-jr who doesn't care about being off on his own chain.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/41vqbo/bitcoindev_pieter_wuillle_its_ridiculous_to/

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/42lwe4/bitcoin_core_blockstream_added_a_pull_request_to/

It's looking more and more to me like core devs are making a statement that if bitcoin-classic happens they will fork and continue to support an alternate chain with an alternate hashing algo.  I thought this was insane and trolling.  But it keeps popping up.
canth
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 06:29:48 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/42lwe4/bitcoin_core_blockstream_added_a_pull_request_to/

It's looking more and more to me like core devs are making a statement that if bitcoin-classic happens they will fork and continue to support an alternate chain with an alternate hashing algo.  I thought this was insane and trolling.  But it keeps popping up.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

laanwj commented 5 hours ago
I'm not sure how much sense it makes to do an emergency hard-fork to protect against a hard-fork. A change of PoW is something that would make most sense for the side of the hard-fork that forks off - as they're changing consensus behavior already.

No matter what, definitely needs a BIP and discussion on the mailing list. This would need a change to many other software: at least every miner and pool implementation, and thus is not an issue that can be handled here (though it's good to have an implementation ready).

There is absolutely no way that this goes into action unless there is a sustained 51% mining attack.

laanwj commented 3 hours ago
@jl2012 Agreed. Changing the PoW is a nuclear option when miners misbehave. There's no point in keeping this open, it gives people the wrong idea that this is being considered for integration at the moment.
 @laanwjlaanwj closed this 3 hours ago

rdnkjdi
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 06:46:27 PM

So core will view bitcoin-classic as "consensus" not an "attack"?

I'm really not trying to troll.  I can 100% see thermos coming up with that definition for the forums and reddit ...

<<Edit>> I see the issue was closed (should have read further)
canth
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 06:55:41 PM

So core will view bitcoin-classic as "consensus" not an "attack"?

I'm really not trying to troll.  I can 100% see thermos coming up with that definition for the forums and reddit ...

<<Edit>> I see the issue was closed (should have read further)

If a majority of hashing power, exchanges and users support a big block HF, what could possibly be gained by attempting a PoW HF with a minority of community support?

Also, it's against the implicit rules created by Core devs - no contentious hard forks. I don't even imagine they could get a majority of Blockstream devs to go along with it.

MicroGuy (OP)
Legendary

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2016, 07:57:10 PM

https://twitter.com/TuurDemeester/status/691666356010369024

alecfisker

Activity: 65
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 14, 2024, 06:03:16 PM

Original Bitcoin Classic developer abandoned project, coin was taken over by investors community, I contacted exchange to reactivate coin, they ask for a secret word, who have developer contacts please
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: