Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 11:00:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Right to endanger?  (Read 6685 times)
nimda (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 01:35:06 AM

I completely agree; perhaps we've read the same book on the subject. However I challenge you to come up with a general yet universally applicable moral rule.
The only acceptable use of violence is self defense.
Then it's not OK to use violence to defend your family.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2012, 01:41:03 AM

I completely agree; perhaps we've read the same book on the subject. However I challenge you to come up with a general yet universally applicable moral rule.
Sure it is. You might want to look up "self-defense" in a good dictionary. (However, I would still argue that the legitimate uses of violence extend beyond the boundaries of self-defense and include all kinds of retaliatory and defensive uses of force.)

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Beans

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 01:44:58 AM

Speeding tickets are at least logical. Although most traffic infractions are just a excuse to check up on you, and of course to suggest that maybe you had a drink today. I got hassled just the other day because the officer though my headlights seemed a little dim. I'm most annoyed with the seat belt laws though. Seat belts kill people as well, we should be free to decide what risks we want to take in life. Especially when it doesn't endanger others or their property.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2012, 01:50:39 AM

Self defense is often extended to include others. There are two possible ways to look at it, even without removing the "self" from self defense:
1: You interposed yourself in between your loved ones and the attackers, thus necessitating defending yourself;
2: You could argue that if your loved ones are harmed, you will be harmed, as well. If you dispute this, I invite you to explain your reasoning to the mother of one of the Sandy Hook victims. Under this rationale, it is perfectly reasonable to defend yourself by defending your family.

That said, I typically do not include the "self" in that statement, so it would be more properly said: "The only acceptable use of violence is in defense."

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2012, 02:46:48 AM

The way I read it, the self in self-defense refers to any innocent human being, not just 'yourself', as much as the auto in autopsy doesn't refer to a medical examiner performing his/her own post-mortem examination after becoming a zombie or posessing someone else's body to figure out their own cause(s) of death. The 'auto' refers to examination of a human being, and a necropsy is of animals.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
nimda (OP)

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 03:03:16 AM

The way I read it, the self in self-defense refers to any innocent human being, not just 'yourself', as much as the auto in autopsy doesn't refer to a medical examiner performing his/her own post-mortem examination after becoming a zombie or posessing someone else's body to figure out their own cause(s) of death. The 'auto' refers to examination of a human being, and a necropsy is of animals.
I like that explanation Cheesy
dscotese

Activity: 444
Merit: 250

I prefer evolution to revolution.

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2012, 03:35:55 AM

I like that explanation Cheesy
I think of it this way: Your "self" is what you identify with, so naturally, your family's peril is your own.  Likewise other loved ones and friends, and maybe even strangers who appear to hold certain philosophical positions.

I like to provide some work at no charge to prove my valueAvoid supporting terrorism!
Satoshi Nakamoto: "He ought to find it more profitable to play by the rules."

Activity: 756

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 10:48:45 AM

Does this include having rockets in your car and if someone driving like a maniac you can blast them 200ft behind you before they come up close enough to cause an accident with you

Can you avoid an accident, by, for instance, driving defensively? Has the other vehicle made it clear that the driver's intention is to hit you? Would, in other words, a crash between your two cars actually be an accident, or a malicious act of destruction?

I'm trying to provoke the criteria and limits to which endangering is a low risk and unintended consequence of behavior and where it becomes a situation where self defense is justified

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2012, 04:22:49 PM

Does this include having rockets in your car and if someone driving like a maniac you can blast them 200ft behind you before they come up close enough to cause an accident with you

Can you avoid an accident, by, for instance, driving defensively? Has the other vehicle made it clear that the driver's intention is to hit you? Would, in other words, a crash between your two cars actually be an accident, or a malicious act of destruction?

I'm trying to provoke the criteria and limits to which endangering is a low risk and unintended consequence of behavior and where it becomes a situation where self defense is justified

As am I. Answering those questions will do that.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 04:40:26 PM

I only want the speed limits to be higher or revoked because I enjoy driving spiritedly.  Wink
FirstAscent

Activity: 812

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 05:36:15 PM

The faster you go, the probability you will die or kill someone in a crash inches closer to 100%.
Per unit time, yes. But the time you spend to travel a given distance goes down. The longer you spend on a road, the higher your chances that some drunk will plow into you.

The faster you go, the closer you approach a situation where vehicle handling and reaction time is reduced to such a point that an accident's probability is near 100% in any specified period of time.
dscotese

Activity: 444
Merit: 250

I prefer evolution to revolution.

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2012, 06:52:47 PM

If you think the legally posted speed limit is a good tool, then use your self-defense when people exceed it.  Every individual has the responsibility to decide for himself what criteria and limits apply when endangering others or when being endangered by others.  If your decisions about how much endangerment to tolerate are too high or low, you will adjust.  Everyone does this automatically all the time, depending on the circumstances. 

Anarchists tend to recognize the difference between the danger of getting punished by authorities and the danger of destroying value, and place far more weight on the latter, arguing that the former is immoral and impractical and could and should be reduced to zero.  If your search for "the criteria and limits [at] which endangering ... becomes a situation where self defense is justified" is successful, someone will try to use it as a justification for having authorities (and forcing people to pay for them) who will punish those who exceed the limits.  But one size does not fit all; everyone should make their own criteria and limits given their (driving) skills.

I like to provide some work at no charge to prove my valueAvoid supporting terrorism!
Satoshi Nakamoto: "He ought to find it more profitable to play by the rules."
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2012, 06:53:59 PM

The faster you go, the probability you will die or kill someone in a crash inches closer to 100%.
Per unit time, yes. But the time you spend to travel a given distance goes down. The longer you spend on a road, the higher your chances that some drunk will plow into you.

The faster you go, the closer you approach a situation where vehicle handling and reaction time is reduced to such a point that an accident's probability is near 100% in any specified period of time.

I don't think you understand probability.  By that logic, anyone driving at 300 MPH would be 100% guarantee an accident.  Since people have driven faster than that without an accident, the logic falls apart.  

Once again: It is not the absolute speed that is the problem.  It is the difference in speed that is a problem.  Two cars traveling at 150 MPH in the same direction are not any more prone to an accident than two cars traveling at 50 MPH in the same direction.  Two cars traveling in the same direction, one at 50 MPH and one at 150 MPH are much more prone to an accident, which is where your reaction time (and to a lesser extent) vehicle handling come into the picture.  Enforcing minimum speed limit and left lane driving laws on highways would do more to reduce accident and injury rates than any other measure currently being considered.

People are always going to speed and break the law.  But forcing people to drive at reasonable speeds on a highway (or take surface roads if you don't want to) and forcing them into the right lane except to pass would go a long way to making the roads safer.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
nimda (OP)

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 07:49:41 PM

I don't think you understand probability.  By that logic, anyone driving at 300 MPH would be 100% guarantee an accident.  Since people have driven faster than that without an accident, the logic falls apart.  

Once again: It is not the absolute speed that is the problem.  It is the difference in speed that is a problem.  Two cars traveling at 150 MPH in the same direction are not any more prone to an accident than two cars traveling at 50 MPH in the same direction.  Two cars traveling in the same direction, one at 50 MPH and one at 150 MPH are much more prone to an accident, which is where your reaction time (and to a lesser extent) vehicle handling come into the picture.  Enforcing minimum speed limit and left lane driving laws on highways would do more to reduce accident and injury rates than any other measure currently being considered.

People are always going to speed and break the law.  But forcing people to drive at reasonable speeds on a highway (or take surface roads if you don't want to) and forcing them into the right lane except to pass would go a long way to making the roads safer.

Unfortunately, the absolute speed also poses a problem, for a few reasons:
- Human reaction time is fixed
- Stopping time and stopping distance increase with speed
- As speed increases, centripetal force needed to keep the car on the road around a curve increases. Eventually, the centripetal force required exceeds the maximum force of friction that the tires can provide, and you can't make the turn. (mu*g < v*v/r)
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2012, 07:58:37 PM

- As speed increases, centripetal force needed to keep the car on the road around a curve increases. Eventually, the centripetal force required exceeds the maximum force of friction that the tires can provide, and you can't make the turn. (mu*g < v*v/r)

Which is why I set my example at a consistent, relatively slow, speed, on identical roadways. Can you give a valid reason why driving 60 in a 50 should be illegal, while driving 60 in a 70 is not? (note: same road conditions, same car, same driver, everything except the number on the sign is identical)

nimda (OP)

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 08:03:03 PM

Which is why I set my example at a consistent, relatively slow, speed, on identical roadways. Can you give a valid reason why driving 60 in a 50 should be illegal, while driving 60 in a 70 is not? (note: same road conditions, same car, same driver, everything except the number on the sign is identical)
No; roads should be made with speed margins, not speed maximums.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2012, 08:17:48 PM

No; roads should be made with speed margins, not speed maximums.

Ah, progress. Care to explain this concept in more detail? I believe I understand what you mean, but certainty is always preferable to belief.

Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 2130

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 09:43:29 PM

I can already hear it already. Myrkul will pull something out of his ass where pulling the trigger is an act which knowingly puts part of the outcome into the hands of chance, where as driving at an excessive speed is an act in which the driver maintains control. Stupid argument to be sure, for a number of obvious reasons, but still that will be his argument (or would have been, except for this post, which will enable us to head him off at the pass).

Begging the question once more, I see.

Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 2130

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 10:13:23 PM

One reason could be that some vehicles are not capable of that speed and the roads are there for them as well. Though in this state there is a law that if you are travelling slower than 10mph under the speed limit and you have three vehicles behind you, you're supposed to get out of the way. Never enforced of course.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2012, 10:23:40 PM

One reason could be that some vehicles are not capable of that speed and the roads are there for them as well. Though in this state there is a law that if you are travelling slower than 10mph under the speed limit and you have three vehicles behind you, you're supposed to get out of the way. Never enforced of course.

I got a great idea for a law:
Don't cause a crash. If you do cause a crash, you have to pay for all the damages you caused. Sound good?

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: