Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 02:34:18 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Public Notice: Bitcoincentral.com  (Read 5861 times)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4522

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 02:20:26 PM

davout seriously. now that you are no longer just a guy, but a financial business owner, you have to up your game in regards to professionalism.

everyone knows that we are all human and that in private we all scream and shout obscenities and joke around, but now you cannot just respond to a comment 'on a whim' you have to think about the wording of it as it can affect your business.

inaba (BFL) has half countered his loss of business credibility by informing the forums that he will use the BFL_josh name for official announcemets, but even then. his personality still reigns through.

so try to limit the petty bickering's to a minimal and ensure that each message you write on behalf of bitcoin central, has all the relevant points, that you would not need to retract, or explain meanings of in later posts.

if your business becomes a great success, you would not like the mainstream media google searching your posts to create negative propoganda

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 04:51:02 PM

How would you have "held me over the coals" ?

I'm saying $1000 is a rip-off (as in overpriced, not as in scam) when there's already a website and a brand that exist and that it can reasonably assumed that the use that will be made of it will be phishing. My words might have been a little strong, but I still consider that a form of cyber-squatting, which is perfectly legal, but not very respectable IMO.

Actually if you are going to rebrand then I guess I couldn't of. Not like I would of in the first place, but many domain owners demand unreasonable sums of money for domains names, especially of established brands.

If you think $1000 for this name is unreasonable then you should have countered in my email. I would have accepted $850 since that's all I got after Sedo's ridiculous 15% fee.

I think $1000 would have been a good investment if it was only to protect your customers from potential phishing.

It is cyber-squatting which I dislike. Hence my attempts to sell to the brand owner who deserves the domain since I didn't use it.
I see both sides, but honestly, it was a dick move to sell the domain to anyone but Bitcoin Central.  You KNOW it will be used for phishing.  You KNOW some Bitcoin users will be scammed by this.  And yet you do it anyway, all for a thousand bucks.  Hope you're happy with it and can still sleep at night, anyway...
SlickTheNick

Activity: 220
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 05:04:07 PM

FTFY
Also go fuck yourself.
No name was stolen, a brand got built though, and AFAIK it was here first
etc...

I for one will think twice before using your service from now on, seeng your unprofessional attitude here.

I was thinking the same. I will not use bitcoin-central.net and will not recommend it to anyone.

+2

I also quit using bitcoin-central because of davout's childish behavior here on the forums. Long ago, that is.

Ditto. Its hilariously unprofessional to just scream 'go fuck yourself' at someone who makes you an offer, and in the public eye. If the offer was too much/overpriced or whatever, should have just been like 'lol no thanks' and left it at that. Totally uncalled for, especially when you didnt even respond to him (her?) at all. Why would anyone want to do business with you if your just going to be a total bitch when a deal doesn't sound good to you?

Looking for a way to get some bitcoins for free? Check out http://earnfreebitcoins.com !
Get easy bitcoins at  https://coincontroller.com?r=eaef398b5 !
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 05:04:51 PM

so we can expect a phishing site at that adress real soon now?
yup

I attempted to contact rip the owner of bitcoin-central.net off
FTFY
Also go fuck yourself.

You're staff and use that kind of langage ?

Your sig tell about french not having a word for entrepreneur..  FYE : For Your Education, the word is Entrepreneur !

prezbo

Activity: 430
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 05:50:37 PM

I see both sides, but honestly, it was a dick move to sell the domain to anyone but Bitcoin Central.  You KNOW it will be used for phishing.  You KNOW some Bitcoin users will be scammed by this.  And yet you do it anyway, all for a thousand bucks.  Hope you're happy with it and can still sleep at night, anyway...
Too bad karma can't pay your bills, right? Smiley
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2012, 05:54:51 PM

so we can expect a phishing site at that adress real soon now?
yup

I attempted to contact rip the owner of bitcoin-central.net off
FTFY
Also go fuck yourself.

You're staff and use that kind of langage ?

Your sig tell about french not having a word for entrepreneur..  FYE : For Your Education, the word is Entrepreneur !

I believe he just included that line for humor purposes: http://www.snopes.com/quotes/bush.asp
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 06:00:28 PM

A thousand bucks doesn't sound out of line to me.  Didn't bitcoin.de go for more than $20,000 over a year ago?
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 06:08:48 PM

Too bad karma can't pay your bills, right? Smiley
True.  Guess I should go out and rob a bank then.
ashleyconnor (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 06:24:15 PM

If I'd sold it for the price davout wanted then I'd be down around $20 now.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 07:04:20 PM

Kind of reminds me of the popstar/rapper name issue. And I'm firmly of the belief that the received wisdom from that debate applies here: doesn't matter who had the name first, it's who does something with the name that counts. One person has a viable business, the other has a domain name (and presumably no ideas as to how they can make use of it, other than selling the rights). It's pretty obvious who deserves to be rewarded out of those two people.

Vires in numeris
lassdas
Legendary

Activity: 3658
Merit: 1448

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 07:28:45 PM

If I'd sold it for the price davout wanted then I'd be down around $20 now.

What would have seemed fair to me would have been your actual costs +50%, something like that.

How does your actual costs +50% (or something like that) bring you down $20?
Zeeks

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 07:40:51 PM

$1000 for a domain like that when it would be better for your business than your current one is actually very cheap, I have seen and participated in similar situations and when it was all finished the domain ended up going for around 10 times that.

You don't price domain by cost you price them by looking at hits, hits on the site of the business with the similar domain, usefulness and relevance then taking all of that and doing some best effort guessing. Alternatively you put it up for auction and let the business which might want it bid for it like anyone else, usually that works out better in the end since it's quicker and usually cheaper.

In this case you were offered the chance to grab it for the price it was going at auction which is pretty amazingly nice of them, like above and beyond nice.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2012, 07:48:26 PM

If I happened to owned bitcoincentral.com, but did nothing with it, and a similarly named entity came along and developed an enterprise around it, I would have offered the domain I had control of to them first, taking the first, and hopefully, best offer from them. This thought process only applies to Bitcoin entities, for in a different world I would press for a prevailing price point.

On a similar note, edd owns the domain bitcoin100.org, and I pay for hosting and provide the content. If Ed was offered some big chuck of change for the domain, I'm sure he would make me known of that fact first, seeing if I can come close to the offer price. If I can't, I would have no problem with letting him move forward with the sale, hopefully having him donate some coins toward the newly branded Bitcoin 100 hosted with a new domain name that I (the organization) would have control of.

With the exception of the above, I'll refrain from taking sides in this dispute, hoping that it'll be formidably resolved in a timely manner.

~Bruno K~
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2012, 08:19:48 PM

If I happened to owned bitcoincentral.com, but did nothing with it, and a similarly named entity came along and developed an enterprise around it, I would have offered the domain I had control of to them first, taking the first, and hopefully, best offer from them. This thought process only applies to Bitcoin entities, for in a different world I would press for a prevailing price point.

On a similar note, edd owns the domain bitcoin100.org, and I pay for hosting and provide the content. If Ed was offered some big chuck of change for the domain, I'm sure he would make me known of that fact first, seeing if I can come close to the offer price. If I can't, I would have no problem with letting him move forward with the sale, hopefully having him donate some coins toward the newly branded Bitcoin 100 hosted with a new domain name that I (the organization) would have control of.

With the exception of the above, I'll refrain from taking sides in this dispute, hoping that it'll be formidably resolved in a timely manner.

~Bruno K~

Each situation is unique. I've bought dozens of bitcoin themed domains without developing them myself for different reasons. Almost every one was purchased with the intent to grow it into a site I would control and manage myself but, as time goes on, I've come to realize I may not be able to do that with all of them. Whenever I consider what each is worth, I weigh the time and effort involved to turn it into a viable endeavor against the profit which might be realized from a sale. I wish there was a simple formula I could fall back on to determine what a domain was worth but, unfortunately, there isn't.

I jumped on Bitcoin100.org simply because I couldn't believe no one had taken it before Bruno thought of it and I didn't want a squatter to snatch it up first. Now, I consider it an honor to be allowed to pay for its registration fees but would turn it over to Phinnaeus or Rassah at no charge without a second's thought.

I've auctioned off domains that I knew I would never be able to devote time to and will probably do it again. I've also bid on domains and made private offers for "valuable" ones. Sometimes the final asking price was within my budget, sometimes it wasn't. In every case, I firmly believed it was the seller's prerogative to ask for whatever price he or she thought was fair.

Still around.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 01:26:00 AM

What would have happened after, someone offering bitcoin-central.io for $2000? What next, secure-bitcoin-central.net for $500? And then bticoin-central.net for $1500?

.com holds significantly more weight and value than .io, .net, etc.  Surely you know this.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2012, 01:55:56 AM

I'm still trying to sell vanitycoin.com for 1 btc... anyone?

farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 02:09:11 AM

Why would anyone sell something for $14.98, when offered $1000?

lol.

$9.99 fee + 50% is $14.98

bitcoin-central how much are you making per week? I'll buy your company for what you make per day + 50%.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 06:40:51 AM

FTFY
Also go fuck yourself.
No name was stolen, a brand got built though, and AFAIK it was here first
etc...

I for one will think twice before using your service from now on, seeng your unprofessional attitude here.

I was thinking the same. I will not use bitcoin-central.net and will not recommend it to anyone.

+2

I also quit using bitcoin-central because of davout's childish behavior here on the forums. Long ago, that is.

Ditto. Its hilariously unprofessional to just scream 'go fuck yourself' at someone who makes you an offer, and in the public eye. If the offer was too much/overpriced or whatever, should have just been like 'lol no thanks' and left it at that. Totally uncalled for, especially when you didnt even respond to him (her?) at all. Why would anyone want to do business with you if your just going to be a total bitch when a deal doesn't sound good to you?

+4. The lack of professionalism displayed by numerous proprietors in the bitcoin economy is, in a word, disappointing. Bitcoin is very young with incredible potential. YOU GUYS - the first movers creating and operating businesses in the nascent bitcoin economy - are the public face of bitcoin, and the most important points of contact with the masses of future users. Especially with bitcoin's still dubious reputation and coming off of a year of ugly scams and nonsense, to have anything less than stellar and pristine public behavior by cornerstone members of the ecosystem is unacceptable.

Every time I see such unfortunate behavior I sigh to myself and think bitcoin has a bit farther to go than I'd assumed. Obviously this is a community of aggressive, mostly young, often previously inexperienced entrepreneurs who are more interested in building businesses and value than worrying about civility online. But still....come on. Act like the potential we all know is here.

Just sayin'.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2012, 07:03:19 AM
Last edit: December 28, 2012, 08:16:03 AM by Transisto

+4. The lack of professionalism displayed by numerous proprietors in the bitcoin economy is, in a word, disappointing. Bitcoin is very young with incredible potential. YOU GUYS - the first movers creating and operating businesses in the nascent bitcoin economy - are the public face of bitcoin, and the most important points of contact with the masses of future users. Especially with bitcoin's still dubious reputation and coming off of a year of ugly scams and nonsense, to have anything less than stellar and pristine public behavior by cornerstone members of the ecosystem is unacceptable.

Every time I see such unfortunate behavior I sigh to myself and think bitcoin has a bit farther to go than I'd assumed. Obviously this is a community of aggressive, mostly young, often previously inexperienced entrepreneurs who are more interested in building businesses and value than worrying about civility online. But still....come on. Act like the potential we all know is here.

Just sayin'.

I agree, good example of an entrepreneur underestimating the work required and future value of correctly marketing his product.

I'm stunned how someone couldn't see the value of BitcoinCentral.com in itself as being worth around these figures without a parallel bitcoin-central.net exchange service.  IMO, in the long term, it is more likely that whatever service is to be hosted at the less notable domain "bitcoin-central.net" is to devaluate bitcoincentral.com .

I'm happy for you ashleyconnor.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1227

Away on an extended break

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 08:05:32 AM

Not to take any sides, but I personally agree that Ashley has done nothing wrong here at all. Bitcoincentral.com is a valuable domain name, and even more so than the bitcoin-central.net site. I doubt the person who paid $1000 for the domain wants to use it to scam - $1k is too much to pay for that considering that only inexperienced users (with less $) on their hands would have got scammed by a phishing site like that. On the long term, I sincerely believe that the domain name would be worth loads more than the paltry $1k paid now.

PS; The 'go fuck yourself' statement is really impolite and unprofessional, especially when it was said to someone polite enough to offer you the domain in the first place. Most people would have demanded a bigger sum instead.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: