Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 03:56:43 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Public Notice: Bitcoincentral.com  (Read 5861 times)
ashleyconnor (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 08:42:53 AM

Just thought I'd announce here that I no longer own BITCOINCENTRAL.COM. The domain was transferred to a buyer in Brazil this morning after being sold through Sedo.com.

I attempted to contact the owner of bitcoin-central.net with the hope of selling to them but received no reply and proceeded with the sale.

This post serves as notice that I am no longer associated with the name or any activities performed under it.

Thanks,

Ash
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 09:34:50 AM

so we can expect a phishing site at that adress real soon now?
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 09:36:42 AM

I'd say, precisely.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2012, 09:39:27 AM

yup

I attempted to contact rip the owner of bitcoin-central.net off
FTFY
Also go fuck yourself.

Blazr

Activity: 882

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 09:45:30 AM

Also go fuck yourself.

Wait, what? how is it the OP's fault that Bitcoin Central didn't want to protect their customers by obtaining the domain? Why should he have to pay the renewal fee every year, OP was fully in the right to sell the domain, he done his bit by contacting Bitcoin Central first.

greyhawk

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 09:45:58 AM

FTFY
Also go fuck yourself.

You know, when I see this thread -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=41025.0
I wonder how he came to the idea to register this particular domain in the first place.
Blazr

Activity: 882

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 09:47:50 AM

You know, when I see this thread -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=41025.0
I wonder how he came to the idea to register this particular domain in the first place.

This domain has been registered since July 18, 2010. If anything, bitcoin-central.net stole the name from the OP as it was registered 4 months later.

greyhawk

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 09:49:05 AM

This domain has been registered since July 18, 2010.

Bah, facts.  Embarrassed

It would have been funny.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2012, 09:50:14 AM

This domain has been registered since July 18, 2010.

Bah, facts.  Embarrassed

It would have been funny.
Lol yeah
Registration date is pretty early indeed

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2012, 09:51:30 AM

Btw a full rebranding is underway, the name is going to change and all.
If scamming happens it won't be for long.

ashleyconnor (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 10:38:39 AM

yup

FTFY
Also go fuck yourself.

Quite an accusation.

I owned a domain and attempted to sell it to you for $1000 which was the offer I received on Sedo. I said previously on Hacker News that I'd prefer to sell to you but since I got zero reply from my attempt to contact you; I took the offer. Rebranding will cost more than that surely?

So I fail to see where I attempted to "rip the owner of bitcoin-central.net off'. I could have held you over the coals for this name but chose not to.

I also post under my real name and my address can be found with enough Google fu' so if phishing is going on at that address and you suspect it is me, feel free to contact the relevant authorities and give them my details.

https://i.imgur.com/GPl5P.png
ashleyconnor (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 10:55:57 AM

This domain has been registered since July 18, 2010. If anything, bitcoin-central.net stole the name from the OP as it was registered 4 months later.

Obviously part of my pre-crime plan to rip off davout  Cheesy
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2012, 10:57:02 AM

Rebranding will cost more than that surely?
Are you seriously assuming that you're the cause of the rebranding ?

So I fail to see where I attempted to "rip the owner of bitcoin-central.net off'. I could have held you over the coals for this name but chose not to.
How would you have "held me over the coals" ?

I'm saying $1000 is a rip-off (as in overpriced, not as in scam) when there's already a website and a brand that exist and that it can reasonably assumed that the use that will be made of it will be phishing. My words might have been a little strong, but I still consider that a form of cyber-squatting, which is perfectly legal, but not very respectable IMO.

I also post under my real name and my address can be found with enough Google fu' so if phishing is going on at that address and you suspect it is me, feel free to contact the relevant authorities and give them my details.
Nobody is implying that you're going to engage in phishing. What is being implied is that the new domain owner probably will, especially if he's willing to shell-out a grand to acquire the domain.

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2012, 10:59:32 AM

No name was stolen, a brand got built though, and AFAIK it was here first Smiley

ashleyconnor (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 11:18:26 AM

How would you have "held me over the coals" ?

I'm saying $1000 is a rip-off (as in overpriced, not as in scam) when there's already a website and a brand that exist and that it can reasonably assumed that the use that will be made of it will be phishing. My words might have been a little strong, but I still consider that a form of cyber-squatting, which is perfectly legal, but not very respectable IMO.

Actually if you are going to rebrand then I guess I couldn't of. Not like I would of in the first place, but many domain owners demand unreasonable sums of money for domains names, especially of established brands.

If you think $1000 for this name is unreasonable then you should have countered in my email. I would have accepted $850 since that's all I got after Sedo's ridiculous 15% fee.

I think $1000 would have been a good investment if it was only to protect your customers from potential phishing.

It is cyber-squatting which I dislike. Hence my attempts to sell to the brand owner who deserves the domain since I didn't use it.
Killdozer

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 11:29:08 AM

FTFY
Also go fuck yourself.
No name was stolen, a brand got built though, and AFAIK it was here first
etc...

I for one will think twice before using your service from now on, seeng your unprofessional attitude here.

Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 11:37:16 AM

FTFY
Also go fuck yourself.
etc...

I for one will think twice before using your service from now on, seeng your unprofessional attitude here.

I was thinking the same. I will not use bitcoin-central.net and will not recommend it to anyone.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2012, 11:41:14 AM

Actually if you are going to rebrand then I guess I couldn't of. Not like I would of in the first place, but many domain owners demand unreasonable sums of money for domains names, especially of established brands.
I mean if there was no rebrand in the pipeline, how would you have done that ?
$1000 is unreasonable.

If you think $1000 for this name is unreasonable then you should have countered in my email. I would have accepted $850 since that's all I got after Sedo's ridiculous 15% fee.
$100 would already have seemed pricey to me. What would have seemed fair to me would have been your actual costs +50%, something like that.

What would have happened after, someone offering bitcoin-central.io for $2000? What next, secure-bitcoin-central.net for $500? And then bticoin-central.net for $1500?

I think $1000 would have been a good investment if it was only to protect your customers from potential phishing.
Hah, no.

It is cyber-squatting which I dislike. Hence my attempts to sell to the brand owner who deserves the domain since I didn't use it.
That's pretty much the point of cyber-squatting, sell a domain to the brand owner with a nice profit.
What sets you apart from a cyber-squatter though, is that apparently you owned the domain before I even started developing BC.
So there was obviously no intent to cyber-squat. But that doesn't really matter since from my POV the result is the exact same.

Meizirkki

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 11:42:18 AM

FTFY
Also go fuck yourself.
etc...

I was thinking the same. I will not use bitcoin-central.net and will not recommend it to anyone.

+2

I also quit using bitcoin-central because of davout's childish behavior here on the forums. Long ago, that is.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 01:26:41 PM

For 1000$ i would have bought it. (i mean, if i was bitcoin-central).
However i have no idea of the size of your business et all. Just, i typed that domain in the address bar when i first registered at your exchange. Fortunately it was parked and not activelly tryng to scam me, because most probably they would at least have my ID by now.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: