Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:47:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody knows who are these unknown guys keeping on mining?  (Read 3773 times)
johnwhitestar (OP)

Activity: 697
Merit: 262

Slimcoin - the Proof of Donation inventors!

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 07:48:15 PM

According to this: http://blockchain.info/pools the share of the unknown miners is growing.
As if there was no possibility to make good money by mining, but for someone there is some unknown reason to do so.
What is your opinion on regard?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 07:54:15 PM

Why is there no possibility to make money mining.  If one already has bought a rig (or farm) and relatively low electrical costs (say <= $0.08 kWh) why would they stop?  The resale value of rigs is essentially zero especially ones built out of 5000s series GPU which have been mining non-stop for 12-24 months.

Why not keep mining?   Most miners in that situation aren't going to turn off until difficulty hits 10M+ due to the first of the ASICs hitting the network.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2012, 07:55:31 PM

Even if it isn't profitable at the moment, I can think of at least four reasons.

1) These miners are in the enviable position of having access to electricity at a rate which does make it profitable.

2) They believe their bitcoins will eventually be worth more than enough to compensate for what is spent mining them now.

3) These individuals believe in bitcoin for idealogical reasons and are willing to spend some money to support the network.

4) Botnets.

Or some combination of the above.

Still around.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 08:34:09 PM

2) They believe their bitcoins will eventually be worth more than enough to compensate for what is spent mining them now.

The electricity consumed today doesn't have to be paid until next month.   With Bitcoin's volatile past, it wouldn't be surprising for the exchange rate to spike ... like maybe 30%, thus causing even someone with average electricity (e.g., $0.12 per kWh) to at least break-even.

Yes, this is gambling speculation, but this strategy has for the most part paid off in the past.  (Those mining in October through December 2011 were doing so at a loss at the time but came out quite if they still had their coins in January.)

Also, there were a lot of FPGAs shipped -- and every one of them mining today is bringing in revenue way above the cost of electricity to run them.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2012, 08:47:24 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=123726.0 is a sticky on this board explaining the (in)accuracy of blockchain.info

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
imanikin

Activity: 702
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 09:02:40 PM

My guess is that they are:

1) various clandestine government entities loading up at taxpayer expense, "just in case".
2) financial sector entities that can somehow write it off their taxes as R&D and electricity expenses.
3) botnets, of course.
4) academia that has unlimited access to really big hardware, and electricity cost is also passed on to the taxpayers and paying students.
5) Google and such corporations, for whom mining costs would be a drop in the sea.

Imagine all the possible permutations of  incentives and motivations just these groups have to keep mining.

edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2012, 09:08:25 PM

My guess is that they are:

1) various clandestine government entities loading up at taxpayer expense, "just in case".
2) financial sector entities that can somehow write it off their taxes as R&D and electricity expenses.
3) botnets, of course.
4) academia that has unlimited access to really big hardware, and electricity cost is also passed on to the taxpayers and paying students.
5) Google and such corporations, for whom mining costs would be a drop in the sea.

Imagine all the possible permutations of  incentives and motivations just these groups have to keep mining.

For 1, 2, 4, and 5, I think it would be easier to just cook the books and buy some, since they'd be doing some creative accounting anyway.

Still around.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 09:09:53 PM

According to this: http://blockchain.info/pools the share of the unknown miners is growing.
As if there was no possibility to make good money by mining, but for someone there is some unknown reason to do so.
What is your opinion on regard?

The unknown section is largely the solo miners, which is why they are unknown.  Regardless, small scale mining does not have to be profitable.  If you live in a cold climate, perhaps in a small flat wherein your method of heating is not under your own control, running a couple hundred watts of mining simply exchanges your heat bill via baseboard electric heaters for heat produced by the mining rig; in which case the cost of electricity is a net zero burden, and any coins that might be aquired are simply a bonus.  This would not be true for a major mining operation, since the heat would far exceed the demand for same; but this is as good a reason to mine in your own home as any other, and could undercut the professional miners even if they use ASICs.  This is the only kind of mining that I've personally done, since I don't mine in the summer, when I would have to pay for additional air conditioning in order to remove that waste heat.  In the winter, the additional heat isn't wasted, it simply offsets a portion of the heat demand upon my central heating unit (although, for me, gas heat is a bit cheaper overall).

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 10:01:13 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=123726.0 is a sticky on this board explaining the (in)accuracy of blockchain.info
Everything you need to close this thread, right here: ^^^

Srsly I thought we were done with these threads.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
johnwhitestar (OP)

Activity: 697
Merit: 262

Slimcoin - the Proof of Donation inventors!

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 12:17:57 AM

Now it's bit clearer to me, thanks to everybody Smiley

Beans

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 01:33:38 AM

I have 15gh gpu farm running, still profits pretty well.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 03:01:11 AM

Then your cost of electricity is well below average (e.g, you pay like $0.08 per kWh or less), I presume?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

GoldSeal
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 03:16:36 AM

Mine in Thailand. Less than $0.04 USD per KWH is achievable. God bless third world countries.

Moving to Puerto Rico...
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 03:43:46 AM

Mine in Thailand. Less than $0.04 USD per KWH is achievable. God bless third world countries.

Can someone explain to me how being a third-world country results in CHEAPER electricity? Is it because everything is cheaper in your local currency, and by converting a stronger currency like the Dollar into local currency you get a favorable exchange?

Because otherwise, if what you say is true, I want to live in a third-world country too! Smiley
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2012, 05:54:42 AM

Anybody knows who are these unknown guys keeping on mining?

http://bit.ly/12KdGQW
Beans

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 07:08:15 AM

Then your cost of electricity is well below average (e.g, you pay like $0.08 per kWh or less), I presume?

$0.026 per kWh, it actually seems expensive compared to what it was a couple years ago
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 09:39:25 AM

Can someone explain to me how being a third-world country results in CHEAPER electricity?

Government subsidies in an attempt to alleviate poverty and to increase access to energy.

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_pricing#Global_electricity_price_comparison

It isn't just developing nations that subsidize electricity.  Here in California, for instance, there are consumption tiers.  So the person that has a large family and consumes four times as much electricity as someone a few blocks over who lives alone can pay marginal rates nearly three times higher (e.g., $0.12 per kWh for the first tier, then $0.20 for the next, then as much as $0.30 per kWh).  The person that consumes little electricity never exceeded the first tier of consumption and thus never pays more than $0.12 per kWh.

But in the developing nations, subsidies are often used to offset the cost of electrical generation and distribution.   Many of these same nations also subsidize fuel costs.

What these subsidies tend to do though is cause wasteful consumption.  If you electricity is under $0.02 per kWh, you might do something like use inefficient lighting always leave the lights on (when the power isn't in a blackout).

But if you can mine with these subsidies (and your neighbors don't wonder why you leave the windows open even in the winter), more power to you (pun intended).

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1092

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 09:43:41 AM

This question has been asked over and over and over

blockchain.info should remove that page. It's so misleading and gives NO useful information

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2012, 10:02:26 AM

That's exactly why I like it, let people think they can spy on me, I don't care Cheesy
Gatorhex

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 03:22:51 PM

Can someone explain to me how being a third-world country results in CHEAPER electricity?

CO2 is the air you breathe out. Your global warming tax (breathing tax) is paid though your energy bills so you cannot avoid it.

If you are wondering why there are no jobs it's because energy bills and minimum wage are too high in the west for companies to be competitive.

A central planned economy, all the hallmarks of communism. Wink
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: