Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 07:08:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TAINTED COINS  (Read 1640 times)
bazzaa1977 (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 01:39:24 PM

Hi.

I just want to know what exactly tainted coins are and how they become tainted. I've recently checked through blockchain and found that one address that I received payments from has 40% tainted coins and a couple more have 13% and 11%. Then the next addresses on the list are at 0.1% and lower.

Are tainted coins bad to be associated with and what happens to tainted coins?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 03:33:56 PM

usually tainted coins, are those coins that are seized by autorithy, and they were used for illicit things, i think there is no way to have those not tainted without a proper mixing, with some alt
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 03:42:20 PM

I think they refer to this -> https://blockchain.info/taint/18xqsF4wSwLardNBZfWqfUqdZ645ZE6MpL

Not sure how it works in detail though, none of the >90% addresses are mine.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 03:44:51 PM

Tainted coins are evil, that's why I don't use dollars.  Wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contaminated_currency

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6700

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 04:24:34 PM

I think they refer to this -> https://blockchain.info/taint/18xqsF4wSwLardNBZfWqfUqdZ645ZE6MpL

Not sure how it works in detail though, none of the >90% addresses are mine.
The taint simply means that if you trace the the transaction history of an address, then the balance of the address is made up of spends from those taint addresses.

gkv9
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 06:36:27 PM

This could be a better place for you to know about Tainted Coins:

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/7966/what-are-tainted-coins-exactly

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56170.0

BTCBinary

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 07:04:55 PM

let's imagine that I have tainted coins. Will it be possible to later have troubles because I used them? Since all bitcoin transaction history can be tracked, can it at some point be led to me?
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 07:12:18 PM

let's imagine that I have tainted coins. Will it be possible to later have troubles because I used them? Since all bitcoin transaction history can be tracked, can it at some point be led to me?

Its easy to tell where the coins went in its whole life, the thing is, its very hard to prove that through all the loops, you were the one that was used for a X transaction that was proven to be a crime.

Its pretty much the same as real cash.

Your cash could have some cocaine residue on it, does it mean you were the one that did cocaine? No.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3260

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 07:47:22 PM

Hi.

I just want to know what exactly tainted coins are and how they become tainted. I've recently checked through blockchain and found that one address that I received payments from has 40% tainted coins and a couple more have 13% and 11%. Then the next addresses on the list are at 0.1% and lower.

Are tainted coins bad to be associated with and what happens to tainted coins?

Despite the name's connotation, there is nothing bad about taint itself. It is just a measurement. "taint" is the portion of coins at one address that came from another address.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
bazzaa1977 (OP)

Activity: 44

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2016, 12:06:41 AM

Ok, thanks for that everyone  Wink
BTCBinary

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 06:55:20 PM

Its easy to tell where the coins went in its whole life, the thing is, its very hard to prove that through all the loops, you were the one that was used for a X transaction that was proven to be a crime.

Its pretty much the same as real cash.

Your cash could have some cocaine residue on it, does it mean you were the one that did cocaine? No.

Ok. Now I understant. It works pretty much like cash... most notes was already used to pay for dubious services or illegal items, but that doesn't mean that you were the one doing it.
shawnhcorey

Activity: 26

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 07:19:56 PM

Whoa people. There are no coins in Bitcoin, just numbers. A "tainted" coin means one of the accounts in your transaction DAG was of questionable legality. Given time, every account will become "tainted". The only interesting question is: What happens if a court orders a "tainted" transaction rolled back?
WEBcreator

Activity: 840

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 12:17:29 AM

The only interesting question is: What happens if a court orders a "tainted" transaction rolled back?

There is no way to roll back a transaction. Court needs to study more about bitcoin before they embarassed themselves with ordering it to be rolled back. Besides that, there is no need to rolled back a transaction if they are just going to investigate the sources as it could be easily checked on the transaction ID of where it comes from

███████▄▄        █████████████████
███████████▄     █████████████████
█████████████▄   █████████████████
██████████████▄  █████████████████
███████████████▄ ████████████████
████████████████ ████████████████
████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀
███████████████████████████▀▀
███████████████████████▀▀
███████████████████████▄▄
███████████████████████████▄▄
██████████████████████████████▄
███████████████▀ ████████████████
██████████████▀  █████████████████
█████████████▀   █████████████████
███████████▀     █████████████████
███████▀▀        █████████████████
  Dbrain  ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

[

]
  ●  FACEBOOK
●    TWITTER 
●  TELEGRAM
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3260

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 04:22:30 AM

... A "tainted" coin means one of the accounts in your transaction DAG was of questionable legality....

No, it doesn't mean that at all.

... The only interesting question is: What happens if a court orders a "tainted" transaction rolled back?

The answer to your interesting question is that nothing happens. You can't roll back a transaction without controlling the block chain.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
shawnhcorey

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 12:45:59 PM

... A "tainted" coin means one of the accounts in your transaction DAG was of questionable legality....

No, it doesn't mean that at all.

There are no coins. All Bitcoin is is a set of accounts and a series of transactions. You cannot taint something that does not exist.

... The only interesting question is: What happens if a court orders a "tainted" transaction rolled back?

The answer to your interesting question is that nothing happens. You can't roll back a transaction without controlling the block chain.

You're assuming that the courts understand cryptos. They don't. Not until there's an expert witness testifies as to what they are. If a judge orders a rollback, he will expect it to be carried out without question.
qWark

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 03:03:47 PM

Interesting never heard of tainted coins before.
WEBcreator

Activity: 840

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 03:57:13 PM

he will expect it to be carried out without question.

Court cant order someone to do the impossible thing. Even if the court ordered experts to do that, still it is not possible to be carried out unless you control it but it cant be controlled.Tainted or not, it doesnt matter at all as it is still the same coins that could be used to make some payment or even to be exchanged

███████▄▄        █████████████████
███████████▄     █████████████████
█████████████▄   █████████████████
██████████████▄  █████████████████
███████████████▄ ████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀
███████████████████████████▀▀
███████████████████████▀▀
███████████████████████▄▄
███████████████████████████▄▄
██████████████████████████████▄
███████████████▀ ████████████████
██████████████▀  █████████████████
█████████████▀   █████████████████
███████████▀     █████████████████
███████▀▀        █████████████████
  Dbrain  ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

[

]
  ●  FACEBOOK
●    TWITTER 
●  TELEGRAM
shawnhcorey

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 04:11:28 PM

Court cant order someone to do the impossible thing. Even if the court ordered experts to do that, still it is not possible to be carried out unless you control it but it cant be controlled.Tainted or not, it doesnt matter at all as it is still the same coins that could be used to make some payment or even to be exchanged

Except that it is not impossible, just very, very difficult.

And again, you're talking like coins are real. If there is an account with 99 coins and someone sends a "tainted" coin to it, it the account and every coin spent from then on tainted? Or it is 1% tainted? Are all spent coins from then on 1%? Or just the first coin? Or perhaps the last?

If I have a tainted account and I send 100,000 satochis to 100,000 other accounts, are they all tainted? (In today's market, that's about 0.40 USD.)
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 07:03:48 PM

And again, you're talking like coins are real. If there is an account with 99 coins and someone sends a "tainted" coin to it, it the account and every coin spent from then on tainted? Or it is 1% tainted? Are all spent coins from then on 1%? Or just the first coin? Or perhaps the last?

If I have a tainted account and I send 100,000 satochis to 100,000 other accounts, are they all tainted? (In today's market, that's about 0.40 USD.)

The specific coins are the tainted coins as far as I know. Otherwise people could taint every coin in existance, basically making the tainting useless.

Tainted coins could in theory be a problem if miners start to reject transactions that cointain tainted coins. This is very unlikely to happen, unless they were stolen for istance from the mining pool itself.
shawnhcorey

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 07:12:56 PM

The specific coins are the tainted coins as far as I know. Otherwise people could taint every coin in existance, basically making the tainting useless.

Bingo.

BTW, there are no coins, just numbers.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: