Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 04:10:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TAINTED COINS  (Read 1640 times)
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3260

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 08:27:35 PM
Last edit: January 24, 2016, 08:46:18 PM by odolvlobo

he will expect it to be carried out without question.
Court cant order someone to do the impossible thing. Even if the court ordered experts to do that, still it is not possible to be carried out unless you control it but it cant be controlled.Tainted or not, it doesnt matter at all as it is still the same coins that could be used to make some payment or even to be exchanged
Except that it is not impossible, just very, very difficult.
And again, you're talking like coins are real. If there is an account with 99 coins and someone sends a "tainted" coin to it, it the account and every coin spent from then on tainted? Or it is 1% tainted? Are all spent coins from then on 1%? Or just the first coin? Or perhaps the last?
If I have a tainted account and I send 100,000 satochis to 100,000 other accounts, are they all tainted? (In today's market, that's about 0.40 USD.)
The specific coins are the tainted coins as far as I know. Otherwise people could taint every coin in existance, basically making the tainting useless.
Tainted coins could in theory be a problem if miners start to reject transactions that cointain tainted coins. This is very unlikely to happen, unless they were stolen for istance from the mining pool itself.

There are no coins, just amounts of coins. Think of bitcoins as something like water, wallets as buckets, and "taint" as a color. When you send coins from one wallet to another wallet, it is like you are pouring water from one bucket into another bucket. If you pour red water into blue water you get purple water. You can't distinguish which bits of water are red and which are blue -- they are all purple now. Given enough time, all buckets will contain at least a little bit of every color. Bitcoins and "taint" work the same way.

A miner won't reject "tainted" coins because that will cause all its blocks to be orphaned and it will quickly go out of business.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
bazzaa1977 (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2016, 05:59:59 PM

WOW.

I'm more confused as ever now.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3260

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 07:10:15 PM

WOW.

No need to be confused. Let's review:

1. "Taint" is measure of the portion of the coins at one address that came from another address (either directly or indirectly). A taint value can be computed for every pair of addresses.

2. Some people might also refer to coins (or more accurately coins at an address) as being tainted if the taint value between the address and an address known to receive stolen coins is high.

3. There are no individual coins. There are only amounts of coins.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 07:38:26 PM

WOW.

There are a lot of users on this forum that know very little (or even nothing at all) about how bitcoin works.  Unfortunately, the lack of knowledge doesn't prevent them from answering questions and giving advice. As a result, if you are going to ask a question on this forum, it is important to figure out who is giving you actual facts and useful information, and who is just making up nonsense.

mirana12345

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

PM me to buy traffic for your site!

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 09:19:52 PM

Whoa people. There are no coins in Bitcoin, just numbers. A "tainted" coin means one of the accounts in your transaction DAG was of questionable legality. Given time, every account will become "tainted". The only interesting question is: What happens if a court orders a "tainted" transaction rolled back?

What court do you think would have the authority to even speak about currency that doesn't belong to any country ? And even if it did, or try to do,
i hope you understand that noone can "order" rollback of transaction on a decentralized network.
One day, if nodes become heavily centralized, this could be possible i guess, altho i hope it won't happen.
shawnhcorey

Activity: 26

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 09:53:39 PM

Whoa people. There are no coins in Bitcoin, just numbers. A "tainted" coin means one of the accounts in your transaction DAG was of questionable legality. Given time, every account will become "tainted". The only interesting question is: What happens if a court orders a "tainted" transaction rolled back?

What court do you think would have the authority to even speak about currency that doesn't belong to any country ? And even if it did, or try to do,
i hope you understand that noone can "order" rollback of transaction on a decentralized network.
One day, if nodes become heavily centralized, this could be possible i guess, altho i hope it won't happen.

Any court.

I understand. Judges, on the other hand, still seem to be living in the 20th century.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 6700

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2016, 09:57:35 PM

Any court.

I understand. Judges, on the other hand, still seem to be living in the 20th century.
And then they will learn that it is technically impossible to "rollback" a transaction. What will probably happen is that they will order the receiver to return the Bitcoin to the sender.

mirana12345

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

PM me to buy traffic for your site!

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 10:18:04 PM

Any court.

And then they will learn that it is technically impossible to "rollback" a transaction. What will probably happen is that they will order the receiver to return the Bitcoin to the sender.

AKAIK it's not technically impossible, but it would mean that the blockchain would have to be forked, and noone in their sane mind would be on the
courts side voting for it. Even in cases of ordering return of the funds to sender, there is no way it could ever be enforced, just like in the case
of other decentralized p2p services (like torrents)
shawnhcorey

Activity: 26

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 10:21:40 PM

Any court.

You all seem to overlook the fact that judges are not good at taking "no" for an answer. As I said, it will get interesting.
bazzaa1977 (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2016, 10:53:47 PM

WOW.

There are a lot of users on this forum that know very little (or even nothing at all) about how bitcoin works.  Unfortunately, the lack of knowledge doesn't prevent them from answering questions and giving advice. As a result, if you are going to ask a question on this forum, it is important to figure out who is giving you actual facts and useful information, and who is just making up nonsense.

Yes, I believe you are right thanks  Wink
bazzaa1977 (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2016, 11:00:44 PM

WOW.

No need to be confused. Let's review:

1. "Taint" is measure of the portion of the coins at one address that came from another address (either directly or indirectly). A taint value can be computed for every pair of addresses.

2. Some people might also refer to coins (or more accurately coins at an address) as being tainted if the taint value between the address and an address known to receive stolen coins is high.

3. There are no individual coins. There are only amounts of coins.

Cool, thanks.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: