Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:55:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Technology vs. Marketing. Which is more important?  (Read 6393 times)
TechorMarketing (OP)

Activity: 174
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 11:15:45 PM
Last edit: January 25, 2016, 01:51:36 AM by TechorMarketing

I think both Technology and Marketing are essential.

Right now I am evaluating two projects. One has great tech but a small community and very little marketing. The other project has a larger community and fancy marketing materials  but its underlying technology is not as strong.  

Which project should I support? Is it easier to fix broken tech or implement an effective marketing plan?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 262

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 11:18:36 PM

Both if you don't want just a P&D.

Marketing to speculators if you want a P&D.

LucyLovesCrypto

Activity: 414
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 11:20:56 PM

Both if you don't want just a P&D.

Marketing to speculators if you want a P&D.

Both was also going to be my answer. In the long term marketing should be easier to fix than poor cryptography so if I had to choose one over the other I would choose the project with better tech.
simon66

Activity: 423
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 11:23:43 PM

Right now I am evaluating two projects. One has great tech but a small community and very little marketing. The other project has a larger community and fancy marketing materials  but its underlying technology is not as strong. 

Which project should I support? Is it easier to fix broken tech or implement an effective marketing plan?

I would say the small community with little marketing because that means you are getting in early and it has room to grow by starting there marketing and growing there community. Especially if you feel there tech is very strong.

The one with the larger community and has already marketed may already be at the peak of its growth especiallt if its tech is not very good. The pump may already be over.

These thaughts are based on the limited description you give only. Can you say exactly what "projects" you are talking about?
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 11:26:47 PM

Please distinguish marketing from promotion. Most of you would be referring to promotion to the speculator community, as the chosen marketing strategy. But there may be other marketing strategies which are superior and have greater real adoption. So far most altcoins have been merely promoted to speculators as the sole marketing strategy (perhaps DOGECOIN was an exception, maybe others).

TechorMarketing (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 11:31:21 PM

Right now I am evaluating two projects. One has great tech but a small community and very little marketing. The other project has a larger community and fancy marketing materials  but its underlying technology is not as strong. 

I would say the small community with little marketing because that means you are getting in early and it has room to grow by starting there marketing and growing there community. Especially if you feel there tech is very strong.

The one with the larger community and has already marketed may already be at the peak of its growth especiallt if its tech is not very good. The pump may already be over.

These thaughts are based on the limited description you give only. Can you say exactly what "projects" you are talking about?

I am trying to decide between AEON and DASH. AEON does not even have a website yet and DASH has well funded marketing efforts in multiple languages. At first glance DASH seemed like the obvious choice.

However multiple BTC core developers (and highly respected cryptographers) have said positive things about CryptoNote. To my knowledge exactly 0 BTC core developers have said anything positive about DarkSend.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 11:35:24 PM

However multiple BTC core developers (and highly respected cryptographers) have said positive things about CryptoNote. To my knowledge exactly 0 BTC core developers have said anything positive about DarkSend.

Comparing deceit & technological ineptitude (Dash) to interesting technology without a future (Cryptonote/RingCT)[1] means there is no distinction on the long-term future from a technology impact standpoint (presuming that characterization is accurate[1]).

Be careful with trusting the opinion of the BTC core devs, since they managed to allow Bitcoin to end up in a Tragedy of the Commons on block chain size and economics of mining. They are smart on technology, but apparently clueless about economics and marketing positioning.

Then again I am not appealing to authority, as you have no good reason to trust my acumen/opinion either.

[1] Start reading from this post forward: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1219023.msg13636077#msg13636077

TechorMarketing (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 11:37:25 PM

Please distinguish marketing from promotion. Most of you would be referring to promotion to the speculator community, as the chosen marketing strategy. But there may be other marketing strategies which are superior and have greater real adoption. So far most altcoins have been merely promoted to speculators as the sole marketing strategy (perhaps DOGECOIN was an exception, maybe others).

I agree about DOGE being the best marketed alt coin so far (with adoption and use as the goal).
Fuserleer
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 11:45:39 PM

Both are critical to the success of a project, but thus far marketing competence has been lax at best.

I'm planning to drop a full on manifesto and strategy for eMunie in the next week or so, its 20k words / 60 pages of intense dissection of how we intend to take the mass market.

The problem is that generally tech guys are not good marketers and marketers are not good tech guys, thankfully I've been successful at both so maybe my doc will serve to educate a little also Smiley

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 11:49:57 PM

What is more important ?
Repeating the same question(s) asked here infinity for years ?
or
Making another topic to ask again ?

FUD first & ask questions later™
50cent_rapper
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 11:50:43 PM

Aren't small community signals crappy tech?
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 12:03:59 AM

The problem is that generally tech guys are not good marketers and marketers are not good tech guys, thankfully I've been successful at both so maybe my doc will serve to educate a little also Smiley

I observe that also.

I am looking forward to your document. I have always thought I will join the best project, even if it isn't mine, especially if there is nothing I can add of unique value with my own project.

Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 12:15:09 AM

Not necessarily, but that almost surely signals crappy marketing and/or simply bad communication practices.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 12:17:24 AM

Not necessarily, but that almost surely signals crappy marketing and/or simply bad communication practices.

How do you measure the size of the community? By number of sockpuppet accounts posting in official threads?

A gut intuition based on reading quality comments in official threads?

Endorsement by Hero members?

TechorMarketing (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 12:19:15 AM

So far the consensus seems to be that BOTH tech and marketing are essential. Good feedback so far.
50cent_rapper
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 12:35:06 AM

How do you measure the size of the community? By number of sockpuppet accounts posting in official threads?

The number of non-zero accounts in cryptocurrency ?
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 1418

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 12:46:56 AM

Seeing the title, Doge vs NXT came to mind.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 12:52:44 AM

The number of non-zero accounts in cryptocurrency ?

That can be Sybil attacked unless these are connected to verifiable identities.

onlinedragon

Activity: 1036
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 01:03:34 AM

Good technology have there own marketing by there own customers. People who spread the word is the most successful campaign.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 01:17:15 AM

Good technology have there own marketing by there own customers. People who spread the word is the most successful campaign.

So viral adoption would be an indicator of a good investment, same as for DOGECOIN?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: