Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:53:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SOLUTION: Right now, stop mining on deepbit and pick a new pool.  (Read 6163 times)
minerX

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 06:53:40 PM

You do realize that if anything ever happened with deepbit everyone would switch and/or solo mine and the BTC would stabilize?
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 06:57:11 PM

You do realize that if anything ever happened with deepbit everyone would switch and/or solo mine and the BTC would stabilize?
Really? Based on what the DDoS showed, people wouldn't most likely notice for a few weeks...

horrorshow (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 07:15:27 PM

I'm so tired of hearing this argument, really. Stop using deepbit and switch pools. If it forks the block chain this is not reversible by any means...

This is seriously the same line of thinking as "I'll just leave this beach fire going, what are the odds it would skip over to a house?" or "I'll just leave these ports open on my servers firewall, after all I don't even use MySQL!" or "I don't need a condom, there's no way she'll get pregnant if I just pull out."

Well, enjoy your sextuplets sir. But don't fucking ruin bitcoin for the rest of us.
minerX

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 07:24:21 PM

Really? Based on what the DDoS showed, people wouldn't most likely notice for a few weeks...

What are you smoking?  I would say 99% of people switched on the same day.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 09:03:50 PM

Nothing against Tycho, but many Deepshit power users may be better served by other pools.

I've been getting almost ZERO stales on Bitclockers (0.0025%) and Simplecoin (0.0068%).  So why pay 3% for invalid insurance?

I can see the instant-gratification appeal for the less powerful, even though that 3% hurts them worst of all.

But why not move to BTCguild and still get your regular crack fix, while saving .5% - 3% in fees?

OTOH, it's best we deal with the 51% Deepshit conundrum sooner than later.

It's great to see Tycho offer a bounty for a solution to the dominant malignant pool problem.

What the hell, let's all wallow in Deepshit and force the issue!

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 11:34:49 PM

Lookie here random people. If there's an issue with deepbit gaining more than 50% of the hash power and controlling the network, not now, not deepbit specifically, but just in case sometime someone does that, better to find out sooner if bitocin is doomed to fail Cheesy, it doesn't matter if we all start throwing feces like mad monkeys to a person that pioneered and dedicated his working time to the betterment of this community. You don't have to be dicks about it, and vilify him just because he's popular.

Do present your arguments about using other pools, in an appealing manner. Consider that even if this option is open to him, he could simply choose to ignore it and not use it, all these threads indicate that Tycho is somehow actively trying to derail the whole blockchain like a madman on purple pills. He doesn't even have the power to do so and you are already executing him for a made-up crime. Be civilized!
horrorshow (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 11:44:59 PM

You have obviously not read any of the other threads and misinterpreted this one. This is not about him, this is not about his work toward the community or his intentions. I have no doubt he has good intentions.

But that is not the point.

A single point of failure is a single point of failure.

Bitcoin was designed not to have one, and it has become apparent that this is quickly turning into a potential one. That factor may even be out of his control.

So, all due respect to people working to build their communities and offer a good service, but right now, what's ultimately good for the community is deepbit returning to the %30s-%40s. We need to switch to other pools until that happens.
rezin777

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 11:46:56 PM

Lookie here random people. If there's an issue with deepbit gaining more than 50% of the hash power and controlling the network, not now, not deepbit specifically, but just in case sometime someone does that, better to find out sooner if bitocin is doomed to fail Cheesy, it doesn't matter if we all start throwing feces like mad monkeys to a person that pioneered and dedicated his working time to the betterment of this community. You don't have to be dicks about it, and vilify him just because he's popular.

Do present your arguments about using other pools, in an appealing manner. Consider that even if this option is open to him, he could simply choose to ignore it and not use it, all these threads indicate that Tycho is somehow actively trying to derail the whole blockchain like a madman on purple pills. He doesn't even have the power to do so and you are already executing him for a made-up crime. Be civilized!

First it's not doomed to fail. There is an actual attack that can occur with >50% of the network hash rate. There is no point to just let it go and find out if Bitcoin can withstand it when there is no reason to do so. The network will recover, no problem. What we don't know is if the public's trust will recover if such an attack were to happen. The public is important unless you think the miners can just sell Bitcoins back and forth to each other forever.

Second, I agree. Let's discuss the problem like adults. Let's not call names and suggest underhanded attacks. Let's try to convince people there is a damn good reason that we want a healthy, robust Bitcoin network that doesn't rely so much on one pool. Tycho seems like an OK guy to me (although if I were in his shoes, I would limit the pool voluntarily), and he isn't even my concern. It's just unhealthy for the network. This has been shown in the past (when deepbit was first DDOSed the network took 50 minutes to solve 2 blocks, not good).
[Tycho]

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 11:54:58 PM

This has been shown in the past (when deepbit was first DDOSed the network took 50 minutes to solve 2 blocks, not good)
Actually it may not be connected to the DDoS. For example, today the network had more than 40 minutes span without a single block.

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net - Both payment schemes (including PPS), instant payout, no invalid blocks !
ICBIT Trading platform : USD/BTC futures trading, Bitcoin difficulty futures (NEW!). Third year in bitcoin business.
V2-V3

Activity: 227

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 11:55:52 PM

If you are looking for a new mining pool try Bitclockers
Host: pool.bitclockers.com
Port: 8332

rezin777

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 11:57:38 PM

This has been shown in the past (when deepbit was first DDOSed the network took 50 minutes to solve 2 blocks, not good)
Actually it may not be connected to the DDoS. For example, today the network had more than 40 minutes span without a single block.

It would be an interesting coincidence.
Jdumond

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 12:01:23 AM

No.

I dont like the guy. How many reasons do I have? alot.
How many reasons do I need? none.
I just dont like the guy.

Donate here: 1Juv5x7PHcNQdRzdUpWK1DHMKwMy7j7zxj
Tradehill: TH-R11447
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 12:46:15 AM

Lookie here random people. If there's an issue with deepbit gaining more than 50% of the hash power and controlling the network, not now, not deepbit specifically, but just in case sometime someone does that, better to find out sooner if bitocin is doomed to fail Cheesy
The 51% rule was tested on the testnet. It literally wiped out a whole week's worth of testnet coins, and it undid any transaction that involved those coins. It's disastrous... no mainnet testing needed.

horrorshow (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 12:52:56 AM

All the more reason Tycho should acknowledge this publicly and do something about it. This issue is imminent.
minerX

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 12:58:42 AM

All the more reason Tycho should acknowledge this publicly and do something about it. This issue is imminent.

I make so much more bitcoins mining on deepbit!  Especially with the constant market fluctuation.  It's better to get the coins faster and sell them then wait and possibly miss a price upswing.

I say nay to your naysaying.
horrorshow (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 01:04:18 AM

Don't you think that's being selfish and irresponsible considering the bitcoins will be worthless if this isn't addressed?
minerX

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 01:20:21 AM

Don't you think that's being selfish and irresponsible considering the bitcoins will be worthless if this isn't addressed?

That's why I'm selling my bitcoins every time I get 1 full bit coin?  Derp derp.
rezin777

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 01:28:30 AM

I make so much more bitcoins mining on deepbit!

No you don't.

Especially with the constant market fluctuation. 

By constant fluctuation do you mean: always goes up?

It's better to get the coins faster and sell them then wait and possibly miss a price upswing.

When the market is always going up (as it has done so far) you are better off waiting and selling later.
minerX

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 01:32:26 AM

I make so much more bitcoins mining on deepbit!

No you don't.

Especially with the constant market fluctuation. 

By constant fluctuation do you mean: always goes up?

It's better to get the coins faster and sell them then wait and possibly miss a price upswing.

When the market is always going up (as it has done so far) you are better off waiting and selling later.

What?  I always sell my stocks at 1% upswing and it's working out well so far.  Why do you think Mt. Gox is behind?  I send like 500 transaction per day.  I keep buying and then selling when it instantly goes up 1%.

I'm seeing all kinds of fluctuation!
rezin777

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 01:36:32 AM

What?  I always sell my stocks at 1% upswing and it's working out well so far.  Why do you think Mt. Gox is behind?  I send like 500 transaction per day.  I keep buying and then selling when it instantly goes up 1%.

I'm seeing all kinds of fluctuation!

Oh you play the noise. Nice. So you buy (and pay the .65% fee), wait until it goes up 1%, then sell (and pay the .65% fee). I knew you were bright, but this takes the cake.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: