Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:45:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 Casascius Error Coin - MS-63 - Low Price  (Read 1729 times)
Blazed (OP)
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2016, 03:41:25 AM
Last edit: February 08, 2016, 03:54:47 PM by Blazed

2011 Error coin graded MS-63. This coin has a really nice shiny surface, but a few small marks along the rim of the coin. Asking 2.55 for this coin - very good deal for a 2011 error.

Blazed (OP)
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2016, 05:28:46 AM

Just got an offer of 2.8BTC. I am not a big fan of private offers so if someone else makes an offer I will PM all parties and they may bid via PM with 100% transparency. I know not many would question me, but that is what I would prefer if I were bidding.
Eodguy149

Activity: 578
Merit: 554

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 07:24:06 AM

Definitely a stunning coin... Is that fresh off of some forgotten roll? It doesn't seem faded in the least. I would definitely like to be included on the group PM bid if you would be so kind as to include me. Thanks  Smiley

"Initial Success or Total Failure"
monkeynuts
Legendary

Activity: 1251
Merit: 1259

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 11:12:34 AM
Last edit: January 26, 2016, 01:39:07 PM by monkeynuts

Ridiculous sheen on the brass side. Not quite the same sheen on the holo side. Couple of nicks around the edges, but thats the brasses for you.

Difficult to 'grade' in my mind. First impressions of the coin, given that sheen, is a definate wow.
dumbchump

Activity: 496
Merit: 264

In memory of Zepher

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 12:41:41 PM

Is the last digit missing on the hologram? 
Blazed (OP)
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2016, 01:23:20 PM

I noticed that also, but it must not have been printed from what I can tell? The coin does not look handled to me in any way. Here is the full address -> https://blockchain.info/address/17jQvv24kHXpW9RctP2SoE12Z8Z45euQG9

So it is missing "4"

monkeynuts
Legendary

Activity: 1251
Merit: 1259

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 01:38:45 PM

I noticed that also, but it must not have been printed from what I can tell? The coin does not look handled to me in any way. Here is the full address -> https://blockchain.info/address/17jQvv24kHXpW9RctP2SoE12Z8Z45euQG9

So it is missing "4"

Good spot DC.

bithalo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1017

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 03:20:27 PM

Include me in the PM list too.  This coin looks great.

Co-author to the Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins.  More details can be found at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2767515.0
Eodguy149

Activity: 578
Merit: 554

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 04:17:49 PM

So it is missing "4"

In your opinion does the coin look cleaned? It would be strange that Mike forgot to print the last digit.

"Initial Success or Total Failure"
bithalo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1017

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 04:21:32 PM

So it is missing "4"

In your opinion does the coin look cleaned? It would be strange that Mike forgot to print the last digit.

To me it looks like part of the last number 2 is missing its right side.  So I think something smeared off the ink.   If it was cleaned, how does that affect grading?  Would ANACS penalize it and maybe give it some remark on the slab like "Cleaned", "Altered", etc?

Co-author to the Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins.  More details can be found at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2767515.0
Blazed (OP)
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2016, 04:28:57 PM

If the coin were cleaned there is no way someone would try to clean the hologram? The coin has no swirl marks from cleaning on it that I can see at all. I did not buy this directly from Mike so I really can not say what is up with that missing letter. I do know that ANACS will not care about it grade wise.

Edit: This is why I prefer dealing with graded coins lol... I will say that it looks the same face wise as one of my MS-67 errors coins. I can put a pic up of them side by side if it helps? Maybe I am better off just grading it...meh.
Hellot

Activity: 679
Merit: 526

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 04:50:48 PM

If the coin were cleaned there is no way someone would try to clean the hologram? The coin has no swirl marks from cleaning on it that I can see at all. I did not buy this directly from Mike so I really can not say what is up with that missing letter. I do know that ANACS will not care about it grade wise.

Edit: This is why I prefer dealing with graded coins lol... I will say that it looks the same face wise as one of my MS-67 errors coins. I can put a pic up of them side by side if it helps? Maybe I am better off just grading it...meh.

The coin looks either cleaned or polished.  This could have been intentional or the result of being in a soft cloth bag in someones pocket for a long period.  I'm leaning towards polished on the face because the reverse doesn't look touched.  The most obvious sign is the darkness or non-polish around the raised surfaces like the vires in numeris lettering and the date(see second pic).  Just my two cents.
Blazed (OP)
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2016, 04:59:19 PM

The coin looks either cleaned or polished.  This could have been intentional or the result of being in a soft cloth bag in someones pocket for a long period.  I'm leaning towards polished on the face because the reverse doesn't look touched.  The most obvious sign is the darkness or non-polish around the raised surfaces like the vires in numeris lettering and the date(see second pic).  Just my two cents.

Every polished coin I have ever seen has swirl marks on them though.
Blazed (OP)
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2016, 05:10:05 PM

I would consider selling this one for PayPal if the buyer is trusted enough. Opinions on if I should just grade this or not?
ezeminer
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1118

Lie down. Have a cookie

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 12:05:05 AM

I would consider selling this one for PayPal if the buyer is trusted enough. Opinions on if I should just grade this or not?
Take the chance and grade it, maybe you'll keep getting MS-70's for the community Tongue

dozerz
Legendary

Activity: 2217
Merit: 1057

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 01:17:26 AM

I do know that ANACS will not care about it grade wise.

having had a grade of ms60 for an error coin with missing bits i am not so sure they will not care.

space for rent, shilling for sats
Blazed (OP)
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2016, 02:19:03 AM

having had a grade of ms60 for an error coin with missing bits i am not so sure they will not care.

Got a pic of that coin? I am guessing it has a lot more issues than some missing digits on the hologram. I had a handled coin that was rough that at least graded MS-63.
Hellot

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 02:37:40 AM

Got a pic of that coin? I am guessing it has a lot more issues than some missing digits on the hologram. I had a handled coin that was rough that at least graded MS-63.

Blazed, why do you defend ANACS grading while admitting that you repeatedly send back coins to get re-graded basically admitting that their grading is arbitrary\inconsistent and in effect worthless?  I love that you are transparent about this but confused by the defensive stance.
Blazed (OP)
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2016, 03:04:10 AM

Blazed, why do you defend ANACS grading while admitting that you repeatedly send back coins to get re-graded basically admitting that their grading is arbitrary\inconsistent and in effect worthless?  I love that you are transparent about this but confused by the defensive stance.

In the coin grading world coin resubmits are expected and common. I am not defending ANACs I am saying that no way his coin got MS-60 due to the hologram. ANACS even offers re-grading services and all grading companies admit grading is subjective and can change with the grader.

"it's estimated that as much as 75% of the graded population of some issues is from resubmissions - for instance, PCGS has graded 100 of them but there's really only 25, being submitted over and over again. If the coin is worth enough in a higher grade, people will submit it 25 times in the hopes of catching that one grader having a bad day who upgrades it"

It is how grading works with all companies not just ANACS  Wink
Hellot

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 03:17:08 AM

Blazed, why do you defend ANACS grading while admitting that you repeatedly send back coins to get re-graded basically admitting that their grading is arbitrary\inconsistent and in effect worthless?  I love that you are transparent about this but confused by the defensive stance.

In the coin grading world coin resubmits are expected and common. I am not defending ANACs I am saying that no way his coin got MS-60 due to the hologram. ANACS even offers re-grading services and all grading companies admit grading is subjective and can change with the grader.

"it's estimated that as much as 75% of the graded population of some issues is from resubmissions - for instance, PCGS has graded 100 of them but there's really only 25, being submitted over and over again. If the coin is worth enough in a higher grade, people will submit it 25 times in the hopes of catching that one grader having a bad day who upgrades it"

It is how grading works with all companies not just ANACS  Wink

Thanks for the response, I didn't realize it was so prolific.  It's really only been since I can track a unique feature on a coin like a bitcoin public key where it has really stood out to me.  There was a certain amount of opaqueness before.  The biggest lesson for me has been how ignorant as a consumer I have been.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: