Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:27:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 Casascius Error Coin - MS-63 - Low Price  (Read 1727 times)
Blazed (OP)
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2016, 03:22:34 AM

Well for what it is worth the only coins I have ever collected are Casascius coins. I started doing a good amount of research after submitting my first batch of coins for grading (early 2013?). My understanding is that if you get a coin back and feel you were shafted on the grade it is expected you resubmit it. ANACS (along with all other graders) offer to crack the slab and do not tell the graders it is a resubmit. The slabs are removed in a separate area by non-graders. I feel more comfortable removing my own slabs so that I know for a fact no damage is done...

My understanding from speaking with ANACS is = ANACS only cares about holograms if they have been peeled or are damaged physically.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Michail1
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2016, 03:35:13 AM

Is the last digit missing on the hologram?  

I noticed that also, but it must not have been printed from what I can tell? The coin does not look handled to me in any way. Here is the full address -> https://blockchain.info/address/17jQvv24kHXpW9RctP2SoE12Z8Z45euQG9

So it is missing "4"

After typing a long response, I closed the window - Damn.  Retyping most of it here....

Polish - As a common test, you can rub the coin with your finger or better yet, a q-tip.  Typically, you will find it leaves a black residue from the polish that you can't see until rubbed.
My very first coin was given to me for my birthday years ago when the coin was worth $30.  He was rubbing it with windex and the letters were lighter.  I thought it was a dumb way to do the stickers, but I guess it didn't matter since the Pkey was still secure under it.  Smiley

With the above said, I have sent in many coins to be graded.  I thought ANACS messed up on a couple, because I noticed that the label on the case was diff than the first bits I sent in (being a character missing).  It turns out that uberbills / casascius list shows a one more than the coin was showing.   So, it's possible you simply have a misprint of the last character.  Can this be considered a double error cause of the spelling and missing character?  Probably not, but maybe so on the S2 coins which are printed under the label.  (Really just an alignment issue when printing)

I will get a couple of pictures tomorrow (if I get a chance) of such coins.

nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 03:06:06 PM

Coin's definitely been cleaned in some fashion, as evidenced by the heavy patina around the date and Vires in Numeris. There's no way a coin with that many nicks on the edge and back wouldn't be covered in tarnish on the front.

Maybe the previous owner rubbed it for good luck every day.  Huh

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
astrocity1981

Activity: 343
Merit: 254

From The New World

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 03:41:39 PM

I cleaned my redeemed casascius Brass with Ketchup and it did wonders. Would never think about doing it to the original. Brass does oxidize over the years.
Blazed (OP)
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2016, 04:15:40 PM

I will just send this coin in and have it graded. I am pretty sure this will be MS66/67 easy.
Michail1
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2016, 11:19:14 PM

Here are a couple of examples of the prefix being 1 char off than displayed on the coin.

Four Images... 2 front/2 back  (2 coins)
http://imgur.com/a/JLSdC

1AgNXMs is actually 1AgNXMsk  http://casascius.uberbills.com/?address=1AgNXMskH1AHJLx3AGZGTHVYAhsTkVGZy2
1AgB6XH is actually 1AgB6XHg  http://casascius.uberbills.com/?address=1AgB6XHgbawDgZ1MBxhaxr8BZbudAeVg9n

If you search Casascius list or uberbills, it will show the full prefix (8 Characters instead of 7).  Fortunately, uberbills shows the closest coin instead of simply an error saying it doesn't match anything.  I will look for S1 examples if I get time.

(I have previously stated firstbits.... Yes, I know it's really the 'prefix' and what the difference is.)

monkeynuts
Legendary

Activity: 1251
Merit: 1259

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 01:21:49 PM

Big difference between Blazed's coin, and the examples with public keys not lining up to hologram windows, IMO. With the holo window, you know thats how they left Mike. Its not possible to be 100% for the series 1 coin.

Strangely the public keys not lining up to hologram windows is fairly common, and it seems the the 0.5 silver is where this happens most frequently (or thats where I have seen it happen most) ..... I have graded a few 0.5s like this. I have even seen 1 coin with only 6 of the 8 chars visible through the holo window.

ANACS will list the full public key on the slab, even if the full key isnt visible, if you can show them that the full key can be uniquely inferred .... ie you can see 7 of 8 characters, and even with just those 7, using a search on uberbills (or the casascius fulllist.txt), the full public key is the only one with those first 7.

It takes an emailed explanation to ANACS (and I include a print out of that email with the physical shipment) detailing all of the above. Hopefully they will then print all 8 chars on there. I have also managed to get them to do a reslab of a coin like this very recently (first came back with 7 chars, then reslabbed with 8, following explanation given).

I am unsure if ANACS are now referencing uberbills / spotcoins / fulllist.txt as part of their process.
Michail1
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2016, 02:47:24 PM

Big difference between Blazed's coin, and the examples with public keys not lining up to hologram windows, IMO. With the holo window, you know thats how they left Mike. Its not possible to be 100% for the series 1 coin.
Agreed.  Most of mine are S1, and I have seen it; however, it can't be listed as an error since anyway can simply erase a character.

ANACS will list the full public key on the slab, even if the full key isnt visible, if you can show them that the full key can be uniquely inferred .... ie you can see 7 of 8 characters, and even with just those 7, using a search on uberbills (or the casascius fulllist.txt), the full public key is the only one with those first 7.

It takes an emailed explanation to ANACS (and I include a print out of that email with the physical shipment) detailing all of the above. Hopefully they will then print all 8 chars on there. I have also managed to get them to do a reslab of a coin like this very recently (first came back with 7 chars, then reslabbed with 8, following explanation given).

In my experience, this is not correct and may have been an exception for you.
I specifically provide a printed and emailed list each time I submit coins.  The list shows full information (prefix, public key, funding day, year, demon, etc) including what I want said on the case.  Each time I get my coins, they still do it slightly diff.  I have even had to send coins back to have them re-case cause I wanted it to say GILT instead of Gold Trim.  They were also saying "with 'Casacius'" instead of the serial/prefix.  I know they use my printed list or at least look at it, because they check off each coin (not simply make (for example) 10 checks for 10 coins, but 1 at a time because the checks were diff orientation, etc).

I guess nothing is perfect. 

Blazed (OP)
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2016, 04:58:35 PM

I think I will just send this into ANACS and post if for sale once it gets graded. My guess is MS-67...anyone else care to guess what it gets?
snarlpill

Activity: 910
Merit: 530

$5 24k Gold FREE 4 sign-up! Mene.com/invite/h5ZRRP

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2016, 05:45:59 PM

To me it looks like part of the last number 2 is missing its right side.  So I think something smeared off the ink.   If it was cleaned, how does that affect grading?  Would ANACS penalize it and maybe give it some remark on the slab like "Cleaned", "Altered", etc?

Cleaning/polishing a coin is a major No-No in the world of numismatics, and greatly reduces the coin's market value. I don't know for certain about ANACS, but NGC and PCGS will not assign a numerical grade to a cleaned coin, only a "Details" grade, which assures authenticity but does not determine value. The coin can still be noted as Uncirculated, About Uncirculated, etc., such as "UNC Details - Cleaned".

However, I definitely can't say without a doubt that Blazed's coin has been cleaned/polished without seeing it up close in person. Sometimes coin graders need to use magnification to tell if a coin has been cleaned or not, usually looking for fine hairline scratches and noting the lack of luster or of the smooth flow of an original coin's struck metal.

dumbchump

Activity: 496
Merit: 264

In memory of Zepher

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 06:30:40 PM

I think I will just send this into ANACS and post if for sale once it gets graded. My guess is MS-67...anyone else care to guess what it gets?

MS65

Wager .02 with the winner getting the pot?  It would certainly be entertaining...
Blazed (OP)
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2016, 07:04:53 PM

Not sure why you guys think it was cleaned as it look identical to one of my MS-67 coins. ANACS will label it cleaned if it was and it would wreck the score.

We will find out in a couple of weeks though...just shipped it out.
Hellot

Activity: 679
Merit: 526

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 07:20:01 PM

Not sure why you guys think it was cleaned as it look identical to one of my MS-67 coins. ANACS will label it cleaned if it was and it would wreck the score.

We will find out in a couple of weeks though...just shipped it out.

Given everything that has been said, I find this sad and funny at the same time.
ezeminer
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1118

Lie down. Have a cookie

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 07:23:31 PM

MS65

Wager .02 with the winner getting the pot?  It would certainly be entertaining...

betmoose.com

they take BTC and you can bet on anything.
Has the physical coin market slowed so much that we are reduced to betting on Blazed's coin grades? Cheesy

Should give us more Silver coins to bet on too Tongue

Blazed (OP)
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2016, 08:17:53 PM

MS65

betmoose.com

Has the physical coin market slowed so much that we are reduced to betting on Blazed's coin grades? Cheesy

I have more coins...who wants to start betting?  Cool
monkeynuts
Legendary

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 09:11:58 PM

Even if it is considered as cleaned by ANACS, they will still grade it
http://www.anacs.com/contentPages/Services.aspx
But they will state "cleaned" on the slab, I believe. I dont know if they will then grade automatically at 60 because of this. All depends what they think.

Reading around a few forums (general coins, not cryptocoins)... its seems folks that have got cleaned coins, allow them to 'age a little', making the cleaning less obvious before submitting. It also seems that folks who have had coins come back labelled as cleaned will resubmit, hoping next time to dip under the graders radar. Even having them in a pocket with other coins for a while to 'unclean', accepting a lower grade, rather than a 'cleaned' label

Cleaning would be a way too risky option to do as a deliberate strategy for Cas coins in my mind. I had considered it for a particular coin, but decided against it

My gut feeling for this one is either a 60, or a 66, depending on which way ANACS go. Watching with interest, good luck :-)
LitcoinCollector
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 03:08:47 PM

This coin has been cleaned. This won't even fetch 60
monkeynuts
Legendary

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 03:42:37 PM

MS65

Wager .02 with the winner getting the pot?  It would certainly be entertaining...

betmoose.com

I have more coins...who wants to start betting?  Cool

I DO!! Cheesy

C'mon people...let's make some fun bids using bitcoin!!!
BETMOOSE.COM

GRADE BET:
dumpchump: MS65, 0.02BTC
monkeynuts: MS60 or MS66
LitcoinCollector: <MS60
minerjones: MS62

CLEAN/NOT CLEAN BET:
LitcoinCollector: cleaned
snarlpill: cleaned

I will set up the bet if anyone wants to participate. This does not have to be serious. We can have fun with this Smiley

I would have a little flutter on 60 / cleaned (66 is free for someone elses punt)
LitcoinCollector
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 04:00:15 PM

No seriously, it's been cleaned. Probably won't get a grade at all.
Hellot

Activity: 679
Merit: 526

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 04:30:40 PM

No seriously, it's been cleaned. Probably won't get a grade at all.

But this is ANACS, even if it doesn't get a grade, Blazed will just keep sending it back until it does.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: