Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:33:16 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Conference 2013 in San Jose  (Read 9159 times)
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 05:10:43 PM

The US has various kinds of visa. Even if you are from what they call a "visa-waiver" country you have to complete ESTA registration, which you can do online. ESTA is not referred to by the US as a visa despite that it obviously is - you have to fill out some paperwork with your passport number and so on, it costs you money and the government can refuse your application for any reason, in which case you are not allowed to go. So being from a visa-waiver country just reduces the burden somewhat, not eliminate it. You also have to fill out paperwork on the plane giving the address of where you're going to stay.

Border queues are not great, but hardly much worse than any other country. The border guards will take your fingerprints and photo.

Even if you don't need a visa flying to the US is, compared to other countries, a pain in the ass. But that's because travel to large parts of the world is very easy. Going to the US is really not so bad that it should put you off attending the conference.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 05:14:55 PM

I live just up in Oregon, so hoping to attend this one!

BTW, the website makes no mention of conference ticket cost.  And if I am cost-conscience, are there any hotels available cheaper than those with "blocks" allocated to the conference?

Who is running it?  It sounds like Yankee is involved... who else?
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 06:31:51 PM

Bitcoin Foundation

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 06:32:51 PM

Bitcoin Foundation
Is the ticket price not set yet?
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 06:40:27 PM

Bitcoin Foundation
Is the ticket price not set yet?

We have a rough idea of what it will be,

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 09:01:53 PM

I travel to the US from the EU a few times every year. The worst part is the long flight. Otherwise apply for ESTA well in advance (it is valid for a year or two) and fill in the waiver on the plane. The immigration queue varies, but I'd say that it is roughly 20 minutes. Be polite and honest with the immigration officer. Carry at least one credit card and 100$ in cash (less than $10000). Don't say that you will pay for your stay in bitcoin. Someone on the forum tried that once and was sent home without leaving the airport.  Grin

The 9 hours time difference is a bitch and turns me into a zombie, but it wears off after two days for me. I always try to arrive a few days before I have to deliver.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 11:17:57 PM

BTW, the website makes no mention of conference ticket cost.  And if I am cost-conscience, are there any hotels available cheaper than those with "blocks" allocated to the conference?

Assuming you're coming alone (no better half), the rooms have two beds. Split the rate three ways, with the third party on a roll-away or pallet on the floor (sleeping bag preferred).

I'm planning on driving out to San Jose, making a vacation out of the trip, leaving at least a week early from Illinois. In fact, I'm thinking on bringing the pickup, playing American Pickers on the way back home. If I'm lucky, the picks will pay for the trip.

~Bruno K~
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 11:25:18 PM

Assuming you're coming alone (no better half), the rooms have two beds. Split the rate three ways, with the third party on a roll-away or pallet on the floor (sleeping bag preferred).

I'm planning on driving out to San Jose, making a vacation out of the trip, leaving at least a week early from Illinois. In fact, I'm thinking on bringing the pickup, playing American Pickers on the way back home. If I'm lucky, the picks will pay for the trip.

~Bruno K~
True.

My better half wouldn't be the least bit interested in attending.  She's still stymied as to why people want Bitcoins, exactly.  Wink

I'd be willing to share a room with 2-4 others, so that would certainly reduce costs.

That would be awesome indeed if you could finance your trip with a barn pull.  Smiley  I've always been fascinated with the art of reclaiming abandoned wood, but I am too far from the world of physical labor to accomplish something like that on my own.
legitnick

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 12:28:54 AM

If anyone from socal wants to give me a ride pm me!

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 01:58:56 AM

~Bruno K~
True.

My better half wouldn't be the least bit interested in attending.  She's still stymied as to why people want Bitcoins, exactly.  Wink

I'd be willing to share a room with 2-4 others, so that would certainly reduce costs.

That would be awesome indeed if you could finance your trip with a barn pull.  Smiley  I've always been fascinated with the art of reclaiming abandoned wood, but I am too far from the world of physical labor to accomplish something like that on my own.

I wasn't taking about barn wood, but barn finds is not out of the question. I was referring to finding or buying cheap vintage stuff. The more industrial in nature, the better.

I wonder if Adrianne Jeffries is going to be there. Any notables scheduled?

~Bruno K~
martychubbs

Activity: 742
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 02:51:36 PM

San Jose?! That's actually a location I could attend!

I'll be watching this thread with great interest.

Let's do it!!!!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████▄▄
       ▄████████████████████▄
     ▄██████████████▀█████████▄
   ▄███████████████   ██████████▄
  ▐█████████████████   ██████████▌
 ▐█████████████████▀    ██████████▌
 ███████████████▀        ██████████
▐████████████▀     ▄███   █████████▌
████████████    ▄████▀██▄███████████
██████████▀██▄████▀    █████████████
█████████   ███▀     ▄██████████████
▐█████████        ▄████████████████▌
 ██████████    ▄███████████████████
 ▐██████████   ███████████████████▌
  ▐██████████   █████████████████▌
   ▀██████████▄█████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████████████▀
       ▀████████████████████▀
          ▀▀████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█
    ██
   ████
  ██▌███
 ▐██▌███▌
 ███ ██▀▌
 ▀██ █▄██
 █▄█ ███▀
 ▀██ ██▄█
 █▄█ ███▌
  ██▌███
  ▐█▌██
   ▐█▌
    █
    █
     ▀

░░██████
░░██████
░░██████

░░░░░░░░░░░██████
░░░░░░░░░░░██████
░░░░░░░░░░░██████

██████
██████
██████

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████

▄▄██████▄▄
       ▐██▀    ▀██▌
       ██        ██
       ██        ██
       ██        ██
      ██████████████
      █████  ███████     ██ 
  ██  █  ████████  █ ██   
      ███████  █████    ██   
      ██████████████

▄██▄
▀██▀         ▄██▄
             ▀██▀

▄██▄
       ▀██▀

▄██▄
  ▄██▄     ▀██▀
  ▀██▀

▄▄█▄▄   ▄
█▄        ████████▀▄
███      █████████▀
▐███▄    ████████▌
▄▄█████▄▄▄███████▌
  ▀█████████████
  ▄▄██████████▀
    ▄████████▀
▀▀████████▀
    ▀▀▀

▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄
   ▐█▄████████████▄█▌
  ▐██████████████████▌
  █████▀▀▀████▀▀▀█████
 █████     ██     █████
▐██████▄▄▄████▄▄▄██████▌
 ████▄▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄████
  ▀▀████        ████▀▀
      ▀▀        ▀▀

█▀▀▄▄▄█▄
         █    ▀█▀
       ▄▄█▄▄
▄██▄▄████████▄▄██▄
█████▀▀████▀▀█████
 ███▄  ▄██▄  ▄███
  ▀████▀██▀████▀
    ▀███▄▄███▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██ ██ ██ ██

██ ██ ██

██ ██

██ ██

Homepage

██ ██

██ ██

██ ██ ██

██ ██ ██ ██

White Paper
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 04:45:46 PM

Let's do it!!!!

For all practical purposes, the event is written in Yap stone.

Another question: Will the discussions/talks be record with quality cameras, manned by competent individuals? There should be no excuses for inferior productions. Who here has quality equipment and is planning on attending? Do you lack anything or have questions or concerns pertaining to the event? Exactly what do you need to make sure the recording process proceeds seamlessly?

~Bruno K~
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2013, 08:57:20 AM

I'd imagine this should be moved to Meetups?

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 09:12:26 AM

Let's do it!!!!

For all practical purposes, the event is written in Yap stone.

Another question: Will the discussions/talks be record with quality cameras, manned by competent individuals? There should be no excuses for inferior productions. Who here has quality equipment and is planning on attending? Do you lack anything or have questions or concerns pertaining to the event? Exactly what do you need to make sure the recording process proceeds seamlessly?

~Bruno K~

I would love to attend to live blog as many of the events as possible.  How, exactly, I will finance this event is still questionable.  Wink
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 11:51:39 AM

Wut?
This is not just a meetup. This is probably the biggest in-person Bitcoin event of the year.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2013, 01:42:51 PM

Wut?
This is not just a meetup. This is probably the biggest in-person Bitcoin event of the year.
I agree of course, but essentially it's a meetup so big people from all over the world are willing to travel to attend. So I think cross-posting on Meetups a link to here or the official thread (still waiting) is in order.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
thefiniteidea

Activity: 509
Merit: 564

"In Us We Trust"

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 10:49:38 PM

As an A/V technician, professionally, I handle a lot of events like this. As a Bitcoin Foundation member, I will be attending with some solid HD gear. All I would request is for a good spot in the back and a direct XLR connection to the mix for high quality sound. I'm also a Newtek Certified presenter, and can run a TriCaster 8000 if we want to do this thing live over livestream.com to the world, which can simultaneously integrate live social media streams.

Let me know!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2013, 11:05:28 PM

As an A/V technician, professionally, I handle a lot of events like this. As a Bitcoin Foundation member, I will be attending with some solid HD gear. All I would request is for a good spot in the back and a direct XLR connection to the mix for high quality sound. I'm also a Newtek Certified presenter, and can run a TriCaster 8000 if we want to do this thing live over livestream.com to the world, which can simultaneously integrate live social media streams.

Let me know!

(best use my 10,000th post for something constructive)

This is wonderful news, thefiniteidea. Assuming the organizers are keen on the idea of having some talks/discussions streamed live, do you have assess to a TriCaster 8000 or only informing us that you're capable of operating said device, being certified and all? Over and beyond the streaming aspect, is it safe to assume that you would put the videos on YouTube or, at the very least, make them readily available elsewhere? One more question, and please understand that it has nothing to do whatsoever with your abilities, for they're not in question, but is there a video you can link too, thus showcasing your talent and the equipment in use?

I look forward to seeing you at Bitcoin2013. I'll be the guy with scraggly ass beard.

~Bruno K~
bitstarter

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

BitcoinStarter.com Support Account

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2013, 11:10:58 PM

Let me know!

Please do this!  Hell, I'd pay a little bit of bitcents to see it also  maybe admission to live streaming to make it worth your time?

Bitcoin Crowd Funding! Bitcoinstarter.com
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 11:13:22 PM

Let me know!
I don't think anyone would argue with you livestreaming the events!  After all, that's what the community has asked for and attendees have promised, but not delivered on, for all the prior conferences.  The question is, can you actually pull it off, unlike all the other who have said they would do so, only to have irreconcilable technical difficulties when push came to shove?

@ Yankee or anyone else familiar with the conference proceedings - will reliable WiFi access be available in the events room(s)?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: