Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:32:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PENDING - [SCAMMER - 10 BTC loan ($130)] *name removed*  (Read 4254 times)
ingrownpocket (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 09:04:06 AM
Last edit: January 04, 2013, 10:04:20 AM by Carlos L.

Loan topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131217.0

EDIT: *PENDING*
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bowjob

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 10:54:14 AM

Send a letter to his work with proof of what he did. That'll teach him.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 11:01:19 AM

We should all post to his twitter and Facebook account asking when he is going to pay. Also friend his friends and follow his followers and post about his fraudulent activities. That has been effective in the past.
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 11:22:10 AM

Are you sure it's really him and not a stolen identity? I doubt a scammer would give you so many personal details if they were going to scam? If he's given you so many personal details maybe something has just happened? (i.e he is unwell or something). Has he been active on twitter recently? Maybe I am just naive... but if it is him and he is a total scammer he must be a total idiot as well.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Scammers are often not the sharpest pencils in the box. Often they are drug addicts who go on a binge and disappear. Often they are convicted criminals who get incarcerated again and often they are legitimate borrowers who don't have the ability or don't want to repay and decide the easiest person to skip out on is the guy on the internet they never met face to face. But what bitcoin scammers ALWAYS underestimate is the lengths to which bitcoiners will go to track a scammer down and recover funds.
psybits
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 11:33:42 AM

Scammers are often not the sharpest pencils in the box. Often they are drug addicts who go on a binge and disappear. Often they are convicted criminals who get incarcerated again and often they are legitimate borrowers who don't have the ability or don't want to repay a decide the easiest person to skip out on is the guy on the interner you never met face to face. But what bitcoin scammers ALWAYS underestimate is the lengths to which bitcoiners will go to track a scammer down and recover funds.

Well it won't be hard to track this guy down.
psybits
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 12:39:31 PM

Are you sure it's really him and not a stolen identity? I doubt a scammer would give you so many personal details if they were going to scam? If he's given you so many personal details maybe something has just happened? (i.e he is unwell or something). Has he been active on twitter recently? Maybe I am just naive... but if it is him and he is a total scammer he must be a total idiot as well.

He was very active on Facebook and all his friends interaction looked legit to me.

Then go get him man. Call his work. Call / Facebook message his friends and family telling them he's a thief.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 01:15:13 PM

OMG!!! WTF is that? A CRT TV?  Shocked
Bowjob

Activity: 294

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 01:18:48 PM

Scammers are often not the sharpest pencils in the box. Often they are drug addicts who go on a binge and disappear. Often they are convicted criminals who get incarcerated again and often they are legitimate borrowers who don't have the ability or don't want to repay and decide the easiest person to skip out on is the guy on the internet they never met face to face. But what bitcoin scammers ALWAYS underestimate is the lengths to which bitcoiners will go to track a scammer down and recover funds.

This guy is an engineer..

It seemed like a good idea at the time.
KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 03:13:30 PM

The old "hit by a car stall tactic" eh?

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 03:32:08 PM

did he pay you or not??
jwzguy

Activity: 868

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 03:47:41 PM

These scammers can't even be original.
psybits
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 03:49:15 PM

You never know, maybe he was hit by a taxi, New Years Eve is pretty hectic after all. I hope it works out for everyone's sake
jwzguy

Activity: 868

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 04:12:02 PM

You never know, maybe he was hit by a taxi, New Years Eve is pretty hectic after all. I hope it works out for everyone's sake
And his phone just pocket-logged into facebook and blocked his lender? I doubt it.

I've heard that hospital line a few times...it's even more popular than the imaginary death in the family or sick child. They always choose excuses that are aimed at making YOU feel guilty while they are stealing from you.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 04:35:19 PM
Last edit: January 02, 2013, 07:06:04 PM by paraipan

What normally gives it away is that on their social media there is not a single 'Get Well Soon' message...

Interesting, didn't thought looking after that one. Dunno if 10btc is worth more than a tarnished online identity these days  Cry

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Darktongue

Activity: 574

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 10:44:10 PM

I'd ask him.for an alternate payment method. if he refuses I'd start hounding his close contacts. treat it like collections in this case. you may not recover it all but a good sum is better then none.

Of he's given names of mommy, sissy or uncle mike I'd get ahold of these people. let them know then see if they can't talk to him. I'm pretty sure this is ether a case of no intention or good intention that went south.

But at any rate I'd first give him the option to pay up in some other currency median.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 11:50:25 AM

WARNING: He was lying about him on his phone. If he was on his phone, the messages sent will be like this:

"I like ponies. I think they're really cool"

You CANNOT get messages like this unless you manually remove the caps lock which is real tedious:

"i like ponies. i think they're really cool'
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 12:32:52 PM

Stephen:
i have given my brother my sick certificate from the doctor for work. ive asked him to scan it and post it to you. thereis very sensitive personal information on it so im trusting you to blank it out and post it on the forum. i wont have my name blackened. is that cool ?

WOW

> i

> ive

> thereis

(iPhone autocorrects this)

> im

SO OBVIOUS THIS WASN'T TYPED FROM A PHONE.
psybits
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 11:29:28 AM

Stephen:
i set him up with that email address, he is usless with computers. i have been told i'm out early next week. thank god, i can't wait for this to be over! worst most trouble causing NYE ever. thank god i have the taxi driver's information. i will be taking legal action. sorry about all of this, i can understand your frustration as i'm sure you can mine.

Smiley

There is hope for humanity yet  Wink
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 04:26:58 PM

Stephen brother:
Good morning Carlos,

I have attached the scanned image as promised. Stephen asked me to delete his facebook account last night. Is everything ok ? He said he has been planning to do it for ages but it seems strange to me, I don't know maybe I'm just being paranoid, it's just all of this sending an image to someone I don't know without an explaination seems odd. Anyway the image is attached, I'm not great with computers so let me know it's ok.

All the best,
JC.

The doc says he was examined day 01/01/2013 (sig by doctor), contains his name, date of birth, phone, PPS, and address. Everything matches.
Diagnose: multiple metatarsal fracture

I guess this is legit and he really is in the hospital.
did you call the hospital to confirm it's real?

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: