Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:24:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Newb wanting to Start Mining Small  (Read 1868 times)
AliceSML79 (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 12:04:58 AM

hi im a total new at this but not even sure if I'm looking at the right hardware even.  not looking to get rich, just something as a hobby that i could buy .cbr comics for example.  below is a list of parts I'm looking to power off my early 2010 MacBook Pro.  do you think if i join something like slushpool, i might make my goal of earning some to buy .cbr comics?  still no idea what software to use. keep hearing of asteroid but i can't find it.

Thanks in advance, Alice

1x - ARCTIC Breeze Mobile, USB-Powered 92mm Portable Fan, Portable Cooling Solution, Quiet Fan, Mini USB Fan, Mini Gooseneck Fan for laptop and PC - White

1x - Neewer USB 2.0 480MBps 10-Port HUB W/Power Adapter for Laptop MAC

9x - ASICMiner Block Erupter USB 330MH/s Sapphire Miner

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 12:48:57 AM

hi im a total new at this but not even sure if I'm looking at the right hardware even.  not looking to get rich, just something as a hobby that i could buy .cbr comics for example.  below is a list of parts I'm looking to power off my early 2010 MacBook Pro.  do you think if i join something like slushpool, i might make my goal of earning some to buy .cbr comics?  still no idea what software to use. keep hearing of asteroid but i can't find it.

Thanks in advance, Alice

1x - ARCTIC Breeze Mobile, USB-Powered 92mm Portable Fan, Portable Cooling Solution, Quiet Fan, Mini USB Fan, Mini Gooseneck Fan for laptop and PC - White

Correct, you are not looking at the right mining hardware. That miner is absurdly obsolete. Unless you're getting them for 20 cents each, drop that idea right away.

Instead buy one of these;
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1126705.0

It will by itself, with no need of any additional hardware, completely outclass those 9 USB stick.

Well done in doing your research before binge buying.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
AliceSML79 (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 01:00:24 AM

Correct, you are not looking at the right mining hardware. That miner is absurdly obsolete. Unless you're getting them for 20 cents each, drop that idea right away.

It will by itself, with no need of any additional hardware, completely outclass those 9 USB stick.

thanks for that info. bit coin is defiantly a lot to learn.

so if i use 9x https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1126705.0 on that usb bar id have a decent simple setup right?

Edit: they will work on mac right. also dose anyone have a mac OS X app recommendation?
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 02:24:27 AM

thanks for that info. bit coin is defiantly a lot to learn.

so if i use 9x https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1126705.0 on that usb bar id have a decent simple setup right?

Edit: they will work on mac right. also dose anyone have a mac OS X app recommendation?

Not really a point in getting 9, one to learn, even 9 is a tiny amount of hashrate. But its in the low 3 digit GH/s (which is very low). (Better than your single GH digit you'D get with 9 of the first ones you mentioned) These are not cost effective, they're just a toy to give you an idea for mining. Not a ROI item.

And huh, nobody use or like mac so not much dev is made for them. But Linux is free, so..

But nowadays the miners all have controllers designed for them so you dont need to run them off a PC of any sort. A RasPi would run them and be actually useful.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
AliceSML79 (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 02:34:28 AM
Last edit: January 29, 2016, 02:55:52 AM by AliceSML79

Not really a point in getting 9, one to learn, even 9 is a tiny amount of hashrate. But its in the low 3 digit GH/s (which is very low). (Better than your single GH digit you'D get with 9 of the first ones you mentioned) These are not cost effective, they're just a toy to give you an idea for mining. Not a ROI item.

And huh, nobody use or like mac so not much dev is made for them. But Linux is free, so..

But nowadays the miners all have controllers designed for them so you dont need to run them off a PC of any sort. A RasPi would run them and be actually useful.

Yes I heard about the raspberry pi 2 mining rigs. And I was thinking about doing something like that since there's not much support for the Mac out there. I figure I can hook it up to the television and just let it run constantly with the fan blowing on it. Does that sound like a good way to get into it for starter?

How's this look for a raspberry pi 2 mini mining rig

CanaKit Raspberry Pi 2 Ultimate Starter Kit with WiFi

Sabrent 13 Port High Speed USB 2.0 Hub with Power Adapter And 2 Control Switches (HB-U14P)

ARCTIC Breeze Mobile, USB-Powered 92mm Portable Fan, Portable Cooling Solution, Quiet Fan, Mini USB Fan, Mini Gooseneck Fan for laptop and PC - White
ezeminer
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1118

Lie down. Have a cookie

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 07:56:52 AM

Yes I heard about the raspberry pi 2 mining rigs. And I was thinking about doing something like that since there's not much support for the Mac out there. I figure I can hook it up to the television and just let it run constantly with the fan blowing on it. Does that sound like a good way to get into it for starter?

How's this look for a raspberry pi 2 mini mining rig

CanaKit Raspberry Pi 2 Ultimate Starter Kit with WiFi

Sabrent 13 Port High Speed USB 2.0 Hub with Power Adapter And 2 Control Switches (HB-U14P)

ARCTIC Breeze Mobile, USB-Powered 92mm Portable Fan, Portable Cooling Solution, Quiet Fan, Mini USB Fan, Mini Gooseneck Fan for laptop and PC - White

You should probably get a more powerful USB hub, I remember there being a thread around here somewhere. The hub you're looking at only supports 1.5W per port, which can get you the 8GH from a stick, or get a more powerful hub that can get you up to 20-30GH a stick. USB 3.0 offers 4.5W per port. USB 2.0 offers 1.5W per port.

Some information that may be useful if you are trying to get higher hashrates.

===============
=Expected Performance=
===============
The expected performance of the chip is 0.055*MHz=GH.  For example, 200MHz gives 11 GH (max theoretical expectation).

========
=Hardware=
========
The hardware that you need to run the compac is no more than any computer with an open, powered USB 2.0 port.  On stock USB power you may be able to run the miner as high as 150MHz, though the 137 setpoint is more likely- actual power consumption would depend on how low the voltage on a stick would go stably. If you have a USB 3.0 port that provides 900mA instead of the 500mA provided by USB 2.0 and you will be able to set the clock higher.  If you wish to run several sticks at once you should probably acquire a powered hub.  You can run the miner at reasonable but fairly low speed off of 2.5W per stick, so to figure how many sticks you can run you should find the power of the hub as (voltage)*(current)=power.

It is not advised to run over 1.5A of current in per stick, as this is the max the USB jack is rated for.  In testing there were no problems with it handling current up to 2.5A but unless you're keeping a close eye on it you should try not to burn down your house.  

======
=Cooling=
======
If you run the miners over about 150MHz it is strongly advised to cool them with a fan.  The cooling requirements are fairly low and unless you're trying to run 400MHz or above almost any fan at all will do.    

AliceSML79 (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 12:40:09 PM

ok so i chose a bad hub.  this is why i wanted advice.  thanks so much for the advice too.  but maybe this hub is better.  it even has a power brick it uses for power. i went with a 2.0 because i didn't know if raspberry pi 2 had usb 3.0 support.

Anker AH241 USB 3.0 Aluminum 13-Port Hub + 5V 2.1A Smart Charging Port with 12V 5A Power Adapter [VIA VL812-B2 Chipset]

thanks in advance, alice
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 12:42:34 AM

ok so i chose a bad hub.  this is why i wanted advice.  thanks so much for the advice too.  but maybe this hub is better.  it even has a power brick it uses for power. i went with a 2.0 because i didn't know if raspberry pi 2 had usb 3.0 support.

Anker AH241 USB 3.0 Aluminum 13-Port Hub + 5V 2.1A Smart Charging Port with 12V 5A Power Adapter [VIA VL812-B2 Chipset]

thanks in advance, alice

RPI does not always like 3.0.   You also picked a nice 2.0 hub the Anker is very nice.  I did like the old version that was like a metal brick better, but the new version is still a very nice hub.

Should work good with RPI.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3869

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 02:34:20 AM
Last edit: January 31, 2016, 04:03:01 AM by Biodom

ok so i chose a bad hub.  this is why i wanted advice.  thanks so much for the advice too.  but maybe this hub is better.  it even has a power brick it uses for power. i went with a 2.0 because i didn't know if raspberry pi 2 had usb 3.0 support.

thanks in advance, alice

10 port usb 3.0 Anker definitely does not work on rasberry pi, don't know about 13-port one.
i suggest not to use canakit due to high price and it is relatively difficult to set up wi-fi on pi.
easiest:
get rasp pi 2 (it is much faster)-$29.99 at Microcenter (in US)
get case (I like transparent)-also Microcenter-$8-9
get QVS 5V 2A powersupply for $7.99 at the same place
get 16gb micro SD card (or even 8gb is OK) for $5-7
get HDMI cable at Amazon ($4.99-5.99)
get Ethernet 5 or 5e cable $5-$7 if you don't have one(so you can reach your router or extender, like airport express)

Total $59-61 vs $79 for the kit.

For powered hub, I recommend Plugable (each slot can do 1.5A). I can run at least 3 sticks on it at 325mhz=~18Gh each.
http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Charging-Adapter-Support-Android/dp/B00L2LK164

The most fun is setting up cgminer-gekko on pi (first download and install NOOBS on micro SD card), then watching flashing lights on your sticks: it is mesmerizing.
also, pi is cute and you can do other things with it eventually.
AliceSML79 (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 01:09:11 AM

ok i geting individual pieces.  wasn't planing to do wifi just came with kit.  ws going to connect to a port on my tv for checking status. ant wire to the router. still need to ad a HDMI and Cat 5 cables.  but do these parts look like a good set up to get started?

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Project Board - 1GB RAM - 900 MHz Quad-Core CPU

Premium Clear Case for Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Quad Core and Raspberry Pi Model B+ (B PLUS)

SanDisk Ultra 16GB UHS-I/Class 10 Micro SDHC Memory Card With Adapter- SDSDQUAN-016G- G4A [Old Version]

CanaKit 5V 2.5A Raspberry Pi 2 Power Supply / Adapter / Charger (UL Listed)

Thanks in Advance, Alice
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 8008

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 01:14:11 AM

hi im a total new at this but not even sure if I'm looking at the right hardware even.  not looking to get rich, just something as a hobby that i could buy .cbr comics for example.  below is a list of parts I'm looking to power off my early 2010 MacBook Pro.  do you think if i join something like slushpool, i might make my goal of earning some to buy .cbr comics?  still no idea what software to use. keep hearing of asteroid but i can't find it.

Thanks in advance, Alice

It certainly wont by itself outclass those 9 USB sticks before mid-February (the earliest delivery) and it would be a cheap way to figure out how to set up miners using the software and pools while waiting for one.
Don't get me wring, the Sidehack stick would be awesome but you simply can't get one right now.

AliceSML79 (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 02:35:20 AM

well right now I'm looking at the rig to power the chips.   i want build i can set up n love running mostly 24/7.  ill worrie about chips soon as i get rig assembled and working.  i hoping ill have my money to start buying parts soon but truth is i don't know when my settlement is coming in.
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 03:04:11 AM

ok i geting individual pieces.  wasn't planing to do wifi just came with kit.  ws going to connect to a port on my tv for checking status. ant wire to the router. still need to ad a HDMI and Cat 5 cables.  but do these parts look like a good set up to get started?

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Project Board - 1GB RAM - 900 MHz Quad-Core CPU

Premium Clear Case for Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Quad Core and Raspberry Pi Model B+ (B PLUS)

SanDisk Ultra 16GB UHS-I/Class 10 Micro SDHC Memory Card With Adapter- SDSDQUAN-016G- G4A [Old Version]

CanaKit 5V 2.5A Raspberry Pi 2 Power Supply / Adapter / Charger (UL Listed)

Thanks in Advance, Alice

That Sabrent is only 12.5W and arctic will probably use 2W already. It is better to get higher powered hub. Yes, they are more expensive, but for a reason.
Check around the support thread. The consensus pretty much coalesced around either Superbpag (70W, 7 slots now called PAG-this one is USB 3.0, but multiple people find it working fine on pi) and Plugable (60W, 7 slots, see link in my prior post). Maybe someone else can chime in and gave you another option for the hub.

HDMI cable will go between pi and TV or monitor and ethernet cable between pi and router.
You also need keyboard and mouse, but you can reuse the computer ones. They will be connected to pi directly.
Other choices look solid. i used canakit powersupply-it works great.
Good luck with your project.

One point: there is no way to know that everything will work as intended until you add the gekkoscience stick after properly building the cgminer-gekko software on the memory card.
The setup without stick is OK for web browsing or doing other pi projects.
AliceSML79 (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 03:36:57 AM

For powered hub, I recommend Plugable (each slot can do 1.5A). I can run at least 3 sticks on it at 325mhz=~18Gh each.
http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Charging-Adapter-Support-Android/dp/B00L2LK16

takes me to a page that says amazon link is busted. what is the product name so i can do a search for it.  but is it pi compatible.
AliceSML79 (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 03:50:06 AM

is the "Plugable USB 2.0 7-Port High Speed Charging Hub with 60W Power Adapter and BC 1.2 Charging Support for Android, Apple iOS, and Windows Mobile Devices: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L2LK164?psc=1 " any good?  i have also seen people use the "Etekcity Upgraded Powered 10 Port USB 2.0 Hub with Power Adapter, 1-year Warranty, Smart Charging Port, Build in Surge Protector, ON/OFF Switch and LEDs Indicators: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JEVRXQA?psc=1 " in older builds.  i am trying to learn though

Thanks in Advance, Alice
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 04:04:20 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Charging-Adapter-Support-Android/dp/B00L2LK16

takes me to a page that says amazon link is busted. what is the product name so i can do a search for it.  but is it pi compatible.

left out "4" at the end while cutting and pasting...fixed the link in the original post, and yes, it is the SAME one as in your latter post.
yes, it is pi compatible as I am using it on pi and gekko sticks.
AliceSML79 (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 04:21:13 AM

left out "4" at the end while cutting and pasting...fixed the link in the original post, and yes, it is the SAME one as in your latter post.

so the Plugable USB 2.0 7-Port High Speed Charging Hub with 60W Power Adapter and BC 1.2 Charging Support for Android, Apple iOS, and Windows Mobile Devices: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L2LK164?psc=1 is the one you recommend then?  is the angle of the usb ports going to interfere with the big heat sinks of the https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1126705.0 ?

Thanks in Advance, Alice
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 04:52:18 AM

so the Plugable USB 2.0 7-Port High Speed Charging Hub with 60W Power Adapter and BC 1.2 Charging Support for Android, Apple iOS, and Windows Mobile Devices: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L2LK164?psc=1 is the one you recommend then?  is the angle of the usb ports going to interfere with the big heat sinks of the https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1126705.0 ?

Thanks in Advance, Alice

yeah, that one is good.
you can only run 3, possibly four, at higher speeds (like 18Gh), so four would go to positions: 1, 3, 5, 7 without interference.
i also put in nearby positions, they fit, but need to be separated by a piece of plastic, like old library card or a store card.
I suggest for you to read up on support thread as there are a lot of important suggestions, especially re software (most succinct software setup writeup was from Jake36).
This is not a money maker, just fun and learning project.
AliceSML79 (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 04:38:34 PM

yeah, that one is good.
you can only run 3, possibly four, at higher speeds (like 18Gh), so four would go to positions: 1, 3, 5, 7 without interference.
i also put in nearby positions, they fit, but need to be separated by a piece of plastic, like old library card or a store card.
I suggest for you to read up on support thread as there are a lot of important suggestions, especially re software (most succinct software setup writeup was from Jake36).

yeah i decently not intresed in making a lot with this build.  i just wanting to learn and many make enough to buy a few .cbr comics.  the comics are only like 0.0144 Bitcoin for the most expensive ones.  so not expecting much from this build except the knowledge. knowledge is power.

Edit: if i only use 4 chips is the fan even required?
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 05:23:00 PM

yeah, that one is good.

yeah i decently not intresed in making a lot with this build.  i just wanting to learn and many make enough to buy a few .cbr comics.  the comics are only like 0.0144 Bitcoin for the most expensive ones.  so not expecting much from this build except the knowledge. knowledge is power.

Edit: if i only use 4 chips is the fan even required?

yes, fan is needed for higher speeds=more bitcoin
however, if you already have some household fan, it might be sufficient. I had multiple vornado fans, so i pointed one at the lowest speed toward one of my hubs.
Arctic is a bit tricky as it does not have a power button, so as soon as you plug it in, blades start rotating-this startled me the first time, but even if it hits your hand, it would not hurt, just surprise.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: