Bitcoin Forum
June 02, 2024, 02:37:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Terracoin a FPGA coin?  (Read 7025 times)
HotSwap

Activity: 806
Merit: 1000

COINMIXER.NET

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 12:45:55 PM

I think coinotron is actually the only TRC pool available at the moment. I too have had great luck with it and highly recommend it!

High Volume, Secure Bitcoin Mixer: https://CoinMixer.net
Nolo

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 04:40:07 PM

Before mining TRC I was mining LTC at coinotron.  I also have nothing but the best of things to say about the site and the guy that runs it.  Never had any problem.  Even asked for a feature and it was implemented. 

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
19GpqFsNGP8jS941YYZZjmCSrHwvX3QjiC

Activity: 756

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 05:38:13 AM

Before mining TRC I was mining LTC at coinotron.  I also have nothing but the best of things to say about the site and the guy that runs it.  Never had any problem.  Even asked for a feature and it was implemented. 

Did you switch from ltc to mine trc without any change to your miner software or settings on that?

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2012, 12:28:31 PM

So what is the likelihood that with difficulty over 9000 that I can mine a block with 27MH?

Time required to mine block is the same for solo or pooled mining. Decision about going solo or pool should be based on nothing but
your affinity for gambling, as follows:

1. Go pool > you will get Z coins in Y amount of time.
2. Go solo > you will get X coins in Y amount of time, where X is anywhere in range from 0 to multiple times Z. That's gambling part.

Note that with infinite amount of time, one will surely get more coins if mining solo = it's because pools have fees.

I'm still solo mining and sometimes switch to load-balanced mode. When soloing, main "pool" is Terracoin server and Coinotron is set
as failover, which is useful because sometimes Terracoin server fails for a few seconds. When that happens, miner auto-switches to
Coinotron, so no time is wasted. As soon as Terracoin server becomes available, miner auto-switches to solo.

I have always wondered on solo mining.... and with a low hash rate compared to the network... it can take a while to submit a hash or successful share... and it is from that share that could then solve a block.... once a block is found... everyone gets the update on the blockchain and the miners then use this to identify a new block is attempting to be found.

What happens if your miner is still trying to solve the previous block that has only just been discovered? or is it that it gets the info immediately from the blockchain and will start to solve the next? If this is the case then I take it that would take care of the difficulty adjustment ... if not then how does your miner know to stop trying to solve hashes on the last block and start on the next?

sorry for slightly off topic for original thread

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 01:10:35 PM

So what is the likelihood that with difficulty over 9000 that I can mine a block with 27MH?

Time required to mine block is the same for solo or pooled mining. Decision about going solo or pool should be based on nothing but
your affinity for gambling, as follows:

1. Go pool > you will get Z coins in Y amount of time.
2. Go solo > you will get X coins in Y amount of time, where X is anywhere in range from 0 to multiple times Z. That's gambling part.

Note that with infinite amount of time, one will surely get more coins if mining solo = it's because pools have fees.

I'm still solo mining and sometimes switch to load-balanced mode. When soloing, main "pool" is Terracoin server and Coinotron is set
as failover, which is useful because sometimes Terracoin server fails for a few seconds. When that happens, miner auto-switches to
Coinotron, so no time is wasted. As soon as Terracoin server becomes available, miner auto-switches to solo.

I have always wondered on solo mining.... and with a low hash rate compared to the network... it can take a while to submit a hash or successful share... and it is from that share that could then solve a block.... once a block is found... everyone gets the update on the blockchain and the miners then use this to identify a new block is attempting to be found.

What happens if your miner is still trying to solve the previous block that has only just been discovered? or is it that it gets the info immediately from the blockchain and will start to solve the next? If this is the case then I take it that would take care of the difficulty adjustment ... if not then how does your miner know to stop trying to solve hashes on the last block and start on the next?

sorry for slightly off topic for original thread

No, thats a good question. I wondered that myself. Like does it make any sense to jump from Solo to Pool mining. Because if the difficulty is high, do you lose all your work from solo mining when you jump to a pool or does it come with you? Not sure.

more or less retired.
FuzzyBear
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2012, 01:51:48 PM

If you have 2 pools set, one of them having Long Polling enabled and other not, CGMiner and BFGMiner will use Long Polling info
from former pool to update status of later pool. In screenshot bellow, pool 1 is Coinotron and pool 0 is Terracoin server (soloing).

It happens sometimes that even though miner detected block change via LP, non-LP pool does not switch to new block immidiately.
I don't know much about the whole deal, so I can't tell if user actualy loses few seconds or if LP is not perfectly accurate.

Ahh ok thank you for your reply... a few more pieces in the puzzle Smiley

so looking at the output from your miner... at 14:04:27 the pool 1 sent message to your miner to tell it there was a new block detected... and 2 seconds later your pool 0 (solo mining caught up) ... so in this instance there was 2 seconds where you could have mined an orphan block?? or there was 2 seconds where the hashes submitted would not have been counted / valid.....

Anyways it looks like the fact that new blocks are detected by the miner once they are on the blockchain, that the miner will adjust every block for the difficulty... in this respect it makes sense as someone who had been mining since day 1 and not switched off computer will not have advantage mining at lower difficulty rate.. but does mean that anyone mining solo with small hash.. will have small chance of finding a block, and every block (as with BTC atm... ) with something like 24M/Hash you would be lucky to submit 1 hash per block found... so you would be hoping that your hash would be the one to find the block....

Setup i was considering was leaving a computer or two CPU mining for BTC for a year or 10 Tongue (sorting out solar /wind electricity b4 getting them running b4 u ask on electricity costs:P)  but if the difficulty continues to rise.. surely I will get to the point where I will almost never solve a block if difficulty increases continuously so just not sure if it worth it or not.. but people were talking about mining solo once ACIS hit as better payback if a block is found... just wondered if there was a minimum Hash threshold to difficulty ratio that should / could be applied to see if it worthwhile??

Because if the difficulty is high, do you lose all your work from solo mining when you jump to a pool or does it come with you? Not sure.

From what i read elsewhere.. once you stop solomining... all your work is lost (now i think it is lost every time a new block is detected) but the principal behind the way blocks are found I believe would mean that say you were mining with 95% probability to solve block in 1 hour... and you mined for 1 hour and found nothing.... you were unlucky is what i have heard others say... say you then started back up again and found a block in 5 mins... that time you got very lucky... as far as I am aware the two sessions are not combined or related in anyway... (unless they are mining on the same block??) .... but if this is right then say you mine for 30 min intervals... over 8 hours... stopping for 30 mins between each mine period... so 4 out of 8 hours mined in total... you would have been a LOT better to continuously mine for 4 hours straight rather than 30 min periods?? hmm now i am a little confused as that can't be right??

hmm anyone care to point me at some answers or mistakes i have made with my understanding.. much appreciated for your input crazyrabit and subStrata Smiley

Nolo

Activity: 686

Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 03:53:28 PM

Did you switch from ltc to mine trc without any change to your miner software or settings on that?

I've been using cgminer for both LTC & TRC.  Basically to switch from LTC to TRC all I did was modify my config file to take out the -scrypt command and I find the default settings work best for TRC.  So it's a very plain config file.  All I modify is the intensity. 

cgminer -o http://coinotron.com:8322 -u XXXX -p XXXX -I 7

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
19GpqFsNGP8jS941YYZZjmCSrHwvX3QjiC
miner2049

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 03:54:19 PM

subStratta & FuzzyBear,

I'd like to thank you both for helping me figure out this TRC solo mining process and also using Coinotron.

I have a few TRCs and it's not much, but I'd like to donate 1TRC each to you both.

Would you please reply to this message with your TRC donation address?

Thanks,
Miner2049
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 06:53:16 AM

subStratta & FuzzyBear,

I'd like to thank you both for helping me figure out this TRC solo mining process and also using Coinotron.

I have a few TRCs and it's not much, but I'd like to donate 1TRC each to you both.

Thanks,
Miner2049
substrata has deleted all his posts here.
FuzzyBear
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2013, 10:35:19 AM

subStratta & FuzzyBear,

Thanks,
Miner2049

Many thanks and its a pleasure to help out Smiley 1BcpSeZM8BABK8Af4PyXp3e2Ebk3zajVZV is my TRC addy, but don't feel u HAVE to give Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: