Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:03:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  
Author Topic: .  (Read 24688 times)
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 03:44:28 PM

It's not about "evidence of doing wrong", the point is Blockstream has huge influence
on Core due to the names I just mentioned.
So 3 people have more influence that then remaining contributors (~40 I believe)? How would this be possible? Wladimir is running the show and he does not seem biased at the moment.
How many of the 40 have commit privileges?

I think Blockstream is down to just one with Pieter.

Meant "How many of the 40 have commit privileges," not "how many Blockstream employees."

Sorry. I should read more.

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1007

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 03:47:25 PM

Every time he opens his mouth, the price goes down, what the fuck? He is very negative to bitcoin's stability.
Quite the coincidence right?

I dont know he is like the prophet of doom of bitcoin, I saw a thread that was just dedicated to this, and showed historical price data when Gavin was in the news and price dropped always.

He did some good things for bitcoin in the past, but now he is more like a liability to the community.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 03:49:44 PM

Every time he opens his mouth, the price goes down, what the fuck? He is very negative to bitcoin's stability.
Quite the coincidence right?

I dont know he is like the prophet of doom of bitcoin, I saw a thread that was just dedicated to this, and showed historical price data when Gavin was in the news and price dropped always.

He did some good things for bitcoin in the past, but now he is more like a liability to the community.

so much FUD.  Blockstream was in the news the same day (Jan 28th).
So what?
 Roll Eyes

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2016, 03:52:50 PM

Pretty much, yes.  If not "more", then a huge chunk of the influence.
-snip-
So what would your proposal be (if we disregard the "alternative implementations"), remove commit access, ban them from working on the code due to Blockstream? How do you reduce this "influence" that you claim is present? There has to be a way of reverting it else you're the one who's being closed minded about this and not me, right?

As a side note, I heard that Greg recently gave up his commit access. If that
is true and he did it to reduce conflict of interest, I applaud that but I think
it doesn't reduce his influence much.  
I think that he did; not sure right now (I'll verify it as I'm curious). It makes sense when the community (parts of it) is essentially backstabbing you because of a single disagreement.

GAVIN: MIT, COINBASE (Probably USG)
WLADIMIR: MIT (ibid.)
JEFF: BITPAY (I think)
PIETER: BLOCKSTREAM (Probably evil)
I think some live in a delusion where only people related to Blockstream could be evil and have an agenda (no, not talking about you). There is a possibility that every single one of them has a hidden agenda and whatnot (including everyone who works at Blockstream). We can't rule anyone out.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
bargainbin

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 04:03:25 PM

-snip-
So what would your proposal be (if we disregard the "alternative implementations"), remove commit access, ban them from working on the code due to Blockstream? How do you reduce this "influence" that you claim is present? There has to be a way of reverting it else you're the one who's being closed minded about this and not me, right?

Do you concede that there is, indeed, possible conflict of interests, and we're onto discussing the mechanics of mitigating it?
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2016, 04:04:38 PM

Do you concede that there is, indeed, possible conflict of interests, and we're onto discussing the mechanics of mitigating it?

By letting Gavin take over?

If you have a serious suggestion (other than that) then let's hear it.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
ATguy

Activity: 423
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 04:09:53 PM

Let me spell this out for you guys. Do you honestly think there is zero conflict of interest here?

http://www.americanbanker.com/news/bank-technology/pwc-partners-with-bitcoin-startup-for-blockchain-push-1079122-1.html

Read the above article very very carefully and ask yourself who controls development of the "parent chain."  Kiss

The evidence is clear, seems the problem is how easy is to control Bitcoin development and whole future of 6 Billion market - just few coders with commit access. Pretty centralized and very weak spot in supposely decentralized project - watch out for more such attacks in future as well if nothing changes - power corrupts people and ultimate power corrupts most.

Gavin is very positively minded person, and his blogs are insightfull. The toxic and negative reactions dont come from him. I checked his 2 MB pull request and well done the work with fixing the possible problems with special over 1 MB transactions could have on exponentional CPU time to validate these. Nicely removing possible attack vector on the 2 MB blocks. The good thing is anybody can merge his work, even Bitcoin Core, we dont need to get stick with Bitcoin Classic if they start adding bad code, code is all what matters, no one is expected to stick with one Bitcoin implementation if you believe they misbehaved - thats the strong part of Bitcoin and many people have hard time changing their whole life experience with trusting/sticking away from one authority like Bitcoin Core in our example.

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2016, 04:12:17 PM

If Gavin would agree to simply have "no power" then I would support him (you and I both know that he will never do that as he only cares about taking control and doesn't care if he destroys Bitcoin in the process of trying to do so).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

ATguy

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 04:27:24 PM

If Gavin would agree to simply have "no power" then I would support him (you and I both know that he will never do that as he only cares about taking control and doesn't care if he destroys Bitcoin in the process of trying to do so).

He could be the only benevolent dictator after Satoshi. He did not waste time and rejected the idea of being one dictator and gave power to others as well even if he did not need to. He proved his intentions.

And if he misbeshave in basic consensus rules and the original Satoshi view for Bitcoin to be mostly payment network, I will be expressing my views and switching to other implementations. Code is what matters, and Bitcoin Core roadmap to main settlement system only is clear violating of Satoshi original view for Bitcoin as mostly p2p payment network I joined up for.

....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
blunderer

Activity: 154

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 04:28:04 PM

By letting Gavin take over?

If you have a serious suggestion (other than that) then let's hear it.

To clarify, you're responding to a two-part question:
1. Do you concede that there is, indeed, possible conflict of interests (Y/N)
2. [Are we now] discussing the mechanics of mitigating it? (Y/N)
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2016, 04:29:46 PM

There are always possible conflicts of interest (I have never stated there couldn't be).

We can discuss that provided you stop wanting Gavin to control things (so if we are arguing a solution for "both sides" then Gavin is excluded from leadership for a start).

blunderer

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 04:44:44 PM

There are always possible conflicts of interest (I have never stated there couldn't be).

We can discuss that provided you stop wanting Gavin to control things (so if we are arguing a solution for "both sides" then Gavin is excluded from leadership for a start).

Have I suggested that "Gavin [should be allowed to] control things? If so, could you point me to the post that led you to think so?  I'd like to edit it. ty
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2016, 04:45:47 PM

Have I suggested that "Gavin [should be allowed to] control things? If so, could you point me to the post that led you to think so?  I'd like to edit it. ty

Okay - so we have agreed that Gavin is not important then - now we can continue.

blunderer

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 04:51:05 PM

Have I suggested that "Gavin [should be allowed to] control things? If so, could you point me to the post that led you to think so?  I'd like to edit it. ty

Okay - so we have agreed that Gavin is not important then - now we can continue.

Not important?
If by "important," you mean "dictator," then sure... I guess. What would you like to talk about?
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2016, 04:52:25 PM

Not important?
If by "important," you mean "dictator," then sure. What would you like to talk about?

What on earth is the point of the people that are thinking that we need to suddenly rush into a hard fork in order to make block sizes bigger?

(as this whole topic actually was about this it appears that the Chinese miners don't actually have a clue)

blunderer

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 05:16:01 PM

Not important?
If by "important," you mean "dictator," then sure. What would you like to talk about?

What on earth is the point of the people that are thinking that we need to suddenly rush into a hard fork in order to make block sizes bigger?
Because Bitcoin is growing, and 1MB blocks will soon fail to accommodate all the transactions.
Because Bitcoin has outgrown its baby clothes, they no longer fit.
Because things change, life is flux, and while the temporary spam control measure was appropriate for the conditions for which it was created, it no longer is.
Because raising the blocksize is the begging solution for scaling Bitcoin.
Because ELY5 here.

(as this whole topic actually was about this it appears that the Chinese miners don't actually have a clue)

Educate the miners.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 05:19:08 PM

Not important?

Because Bitcoin is growing, and 1MB blocks will soon fail to accommodate all the transactions.
Because Bitcoin has outgrown its baby clothes, they no longer fit.
Because things change, life is flux, and while the temporary spam control measure was appropriate for the conditions for which it was created, it no longer is.
Because raising the blocksize is the begging solution for scaling Bitcoin.
Because ELY5 here.

Educate the miners.

50/50 shot by this time next year they'll all be mining PBocCoin. Might as well just wait it out. Undecided

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
ATguy

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 05:19:38 PM

I can speak for myselves only - because Bitcoin Core proved they will stop further Bitcoin adoption effectively from next year without any offchain soutions proved to be working (considering these will popup because still in development). If they had unstopped Bitcoin adoption in mind, they would foresee number of transactions tendency, and hardfork would be planned since middle of previous year to BIP102 to be active in early/mid 2016. They proved to be either incopetent or having bad intentions when stopping future Bitcoin adoption from 2017 because they not gonna discuss hardfork to BIP102 this year and it takes 6+ months for safely deploying hardforks at least thats what they say. Yet 1.5 MB is foresee to be filled in early 2017 and no futher Bitcoin adoption then possible unless undeveloped, untested and unproved to be working offline solutions really works - pretty risky situation for 7 Billion USD Bitcoin market - but what, few commit coders have only millions of USD to risk at most (unless they bet on increased altcoin appreciation where they could have stake) yet they decide about future of 7 Billion USD Bitcoin market

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2016, 05:25:12 PM

I can speak for myselves only - (blah, blah, and blah)

If you can actually make a point then please make it in one small sentence less than 20 words (no-one is going to read your wall of text).

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 05:38:07 PM

-snip-

There is nothing wrong with influence per se.  Greg
and the gang rightfully earned their respect in the
space, but that also doesn't mean they are immune
from becoming controlling, having their own agenda,
or making bad decisions.

If some people feel their influence has become too big
and they aren't making the best decisions, then there
is war of ideas, which the blogosphere is a part of...
and there is also the actions that people and companies take.  

Some feel this way and others do not who continue to support Core.
Still others may be undecided or feel that both arguments have
merit or that no one can be trusted anymore.

Perhaps unity can be reached.

Perhaps the dissenters are a minority are will vanish.

Perhaps there is widespread unrest and influence
will be forked away from Core.

Perhaps there will be a network split.

I really don't know what will happen and I certainly
don't have all the answers.

Despite the chaos, what I love about all this is
that its a free market.  No one can force anyone
to do anything.  Everyone is free to make their
own decisions, participate (or not) in whatever
they want, say whatever they want, and run
whatever code they want.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  

Jump to: