Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 10:00:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The thing that will destroy Bitcoin.  (Read 7312 times)
Nemesis099

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 02:18:18 PM

Bitcoin will be destroyed by some new and innovative currency that will take birth in future, till then there is nothing that can destroy bitcoins, the future of bitcoin is safe till then.
Jemzx00

Activity: 1470
Merit: 546

Be nice!

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 03:43:15 PM

I think block chain being fully loaded is not that problem since blockchain could just make a lot of servers or there will be a new company from which bitcoin is being controlled and soon be combined with blockchain ... But what I think that will destroy, ruin .. bitcoin will be the internet itself since for all we know internet is an untrusted thing from which anyone who know that can manipulate it will manipulate it..

███▄▀██▄▄
░░▄████▄▀████ ▄▄▄
░░████▄▄▄▄░░█▀▀
███ ██████▄▄▀█▌
░▄░░███▀████
░▐█░░███░██▄▄
░░▄▀░████▄▄▄▀█
░█░▄███▀████ ▐█
▀▄▄███▀▄██▄
░░▄██▌░░██▀
░▐█▀████ ▀██
░░█▌██████ ▀▀██▄
░░▀███
▄▄██▀▄███
▄▄▄████▀▄████▄░░
▀▀█░░▄▄▄▄████░░
▐█▀▄▄█████████
████▀███░░▄░
▄▄██░███░░█▌░
█▀▄▄▄████░▀▄░░
█▌████▀███▄░█░
▄██▄▀███▄▄▀
▀██░░▐██▄░░
██▀████▀█▌░
▄██▀▀██████▐█░░
███▀░░
jkrules

Activity: 210

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 03:49:11 PM

I don't think anything can destroy bitcoin as it is becoming more popular day by day, and people are positively adopting it, till it keeps on getting support from the society, no one can destroy it.
RustyNoman

Activity: 189

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 11:33:20 AM

If the community is not unified, there is a chance that bitcoin to be destroyed from within. Government agents or terrists can infiltrate.
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 03:33:53 PM

If the community is not unified, there is a chance that bitcoin to be destroyed from within. Government agents or terrists can infiltrate.

Will you do a write up on "How to infiltrate Bitcoin as a terrorist"?

So IS is going to buy more miners than China to infiltrate the network? Or can you explain how they could actually DO infiltrate Bitcoin instead of spreading some smattering that you caught somewhere on the net?

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
phreaky

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 04:01:58 PM

So IS is going to buy more miners than China to infiltrate the network? Or can you explain how they could actually DO infiltrate Bitcoin instead of spreading some smattering that you caught somewhere on the net?
I think criminals can do that. Or the world economy can do that too. It depends on the time and what is happening.
You never know what can happen later. Maybe the world is going or something. It so unpredictable to the future.
buyinbtc
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1010

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 04:13:40 PM

i don't think that bitcoins will be destroyed, i mean too many people knows about them, so it would be hard to destroy it

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
mtnsaa
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 04:33:09 PM

I'm glad more users here are actually discussing and criticizing Bitcoin current state. These are the steps that must be done in order for it to improve no so many empty praises from signature campaigners (I should know I'm one of them) praising Bitcoin like it's the second coming while at the same time it's impossible for a common person to choose it over any other method (Paypal, CCs, etc).

I think Bitcoin should reinvent itself and focus on what I think was its first intention, virtual gold. As a payment system is completely useless in my opinion, at least for everyday life. Confirmations take forever, it's a complete hassle, having to convert decimals all the time, who needs that when you have Paypal or a simple credit card swipe right? But as a commodity it has a lot of potential, so much more than we can imagine.
blunderer

Activity: 154

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 04:55:47 PM

... I think Bitcoin should reinvent itself and focus on what I think was its first intention, virtual gold. ...

FFS, read at lest THE TITLE of Satoshi's white paper.
https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 02:52:41 PM

I think criminals can do that. Or the world economy can do that too. It depends on the time and what is happening.
You never know what can happen later. Maybe the world is going or something. It so unpredictable to the future.

Huh
 Roll Eyes
 Undecided
 Shocked

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
EdenHazard
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1048

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 05:20:09 PM

The thing that will destroy Bitcoins is simple. It will be the bloated size of the blockchain. Soon the blockchain will be so large, that we will need centralized "housing" to hold it. We will have to trust "Central" to state what is in the blockchain every time we want to use Bitcoin. And, this is the thing we are trying to get away from - centralization.

The blockchain is almost 70 gigabytes large right now. Imagine what it would be like if people around the world traded something like the Forex on it.

Someone better figure out a way to make it a whole lot smaller, and fast. Why fast? Because when fiat collapses, a lot of people will jump into Bitcoin. The blockchain will surge in size. In a short time it will be too large to use.

One solution that I can see would be to keep the current blockchain in total, on several servers around the world, including any person who thinks he has enough hard drive space to store it on, and enough bandwidth to handle all the transactions that hit Bitcoin at once. At the same time, implement a new kind of blockchain that keeps only a record of the first use of a new address, and, say, the last two uses of it. Everything else is deleted. This will be a reasonable solution, I think, until a better kind of blockchain can be developed.

What does anybody think about this?

What ideas do you have for overcoming this problem?

Smiley

Okay. From the comments we have more points. So far we have...

1. Blockchain size for storage and downloading;

2. Number of transactions causes impractical updating of the blockchain because of bandwidth limitations;

3. Impractical confirmation time without a fee;

4. Unreasonably long confirmation time even with a fee;

5, (more?).
the only thing will destroy bitcoins is dooms day. that 4 idea is good,but not sure its can be make bitcoin long life,maybe if bitcoin regulated and accepted in some country as main currency,it will save bitcoins.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
socks435
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1030

Privacy is always important

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 05:24:00 PM

The thing that will destroy Bitcoins is simple. It will be the bloated size of the blockchain. Soon the blockchain will be so large, that we will need centralized "housing" to hold it. We will have to trust "Central" to state what is in the blockchain every time we want to use Bitcoin. And, this is the thing we are trying to get away from - centralization.

The blockchain is almost 70 gigabytes large right now. Imagine what it would be like if people around the world traded something like the Forex on it.

Someone better figure out a way to make it a whole lot smaller, and fast. Why fast? Because when fiat collapses, a lot of people will jump into Bitcoin. The blockchain will surge in size. In a short time it will be too large to use.

One solution that I can see would be to keep the current blockchain in total, on several servers around the world, including any person who thinks he has enough hard drive space to store it on, and enough bandwidth to handle all the transactions that hit Bitcoin at once. At the same time, implement a new kind of blockchain that keeps only a record of the first use of a new address, and, say, the last two uses of it. Everything else is deleted. This will be a reasonable solution, I think, until a better kind of blockchain can be developed.

What does anybody think about this?

What ideas do you have for overcoming this problem?

Smiley

2. Number of transactions causes impractical updating of the blockchain because of bandwidth limitations;

5, (more?).
the only thing will destroy bitcoins is dooms day. that 4 idea is good,but not sure its can be make bitcoin long life,maybe if bitcoin regulated and accepted in some country as main currency,it will save bitcoins.

Yeah i think bitcoin will still alive and it will never die.. Unless if we all die or internet will be disappear so we can't use internet.
Bitcoin has a good future and it will be popular in every country. We just wait or the near future we will see the bitcoin still alive..

Solving blocks can't be solved without my rigs.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2457

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2016, 05:32:03 PM

Underutilisation of resources will limit bitcoin (not destroy it). Fill the blocks, and do something about selfish miners.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
hv_
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2016, 05:38:40 PM

Only temporary, when China Gov. decides to do own coin and take over  existing mining power by politcal act. Maybe in combination with a >50% attack and massive short selling...

After that decentralisation might be better and trust might come back by time.

Carpe diem  -  understand the White Paper and mine honest.
Fix real world issues: Check out b-vote.com
The simple way is the genius way - Satoshi's Rules: humana veris _
mtnsaa
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 08:03:22 PM

Only temporary, when China Gov. decides to do own coin and take over  existing mining power by politcal act. Maybe in combination with a >50% attack and massive short selling...

That will create a lot of chaos and huge dumps but I agree it may be for the best in the long run. Another way to see it is that if the dumps are too big it could damage Bitcoin irreversible if many people get burned all of a sudden, including many here hehe.
Nameless Coin

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 08:20:46 PM

That will create a lot of chaos and huge dumps but I agree it may be for the best in the long run. Another way to see it is that if the dumps are too big it could damage Bitcoin irreversible if many people get burned all of a sudden, including many here hehe.

I am not sure this is going to happen.
Governements are not understanding bitcoin at all, let alone would they participate. It's just not the right sentiment now.
PakistanHockeyfan

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 08:37:20 PM

Hm. I am surprised this is still up for discussion. Well, I must say that more than a million things would have to go wrong before Bitcoin is destroyed so let's keep our chins up and do what we have to do to stay positive.
reputedchain

Activity: 164

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 08:39:59 PM

I don't think there is anything that can destroy bitcoin, as bitcoin is raising at a moment and getting more popular worldwide, negative people are trying to destroy it but its never gonna happen.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
hv_
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2016, 08:49:54 PM

I am not sure this is going to happen.
Governements are not understanding bitcoin at all, let alone would they participate. It's just not the right sentiment now.

I'm not saying it will happen tomorrow, if happens at all. But the topic here comes down to the probability of a real Black Swan event and I estimate the joint prob of all three events up in my post ito be quite high. Much more higher than e.g. the CHF event from 15th Jan 2015 where the Swiss Nat Bank removed the floor...

Carpe diem  -  understand the White Paper and mine honest.
Fix real world issues: Check out b-vote.com
The simple way is the genius way - Satoshi's Rules: humana veris _
Laosai

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 09:04:58 PM

5, (more?).

1. I agree with that

2. Working on it, it'll get it ok Wink

3. Fees are incredibly low, just pay it xD

4. Nah with a fee it's really fast! It takes a few minutes for the first one.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: