Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 10:32:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S7 Batch 7 (5.05TH) three units having chain 1 & 3 problems  (Read 1841 times)
methodlimp (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 03:22:12 AM

Hi folks,

I'm having a really bizarre situation happen with my 3 Antminer S7 Batch 7 units. This morning all three of them were blinking and beeping, but then they started working again with no problem. Just for good measure, I unplugged them and plugged them back in about an hour later.

7 hours later, I check on them and discover that all 3 units are having problems with Chain 1 and 3.

Before you blame the PSU, let me tell you my setup:

3 S7 Batch 7
3 S7 batch 8
3 IBM 2880 PSU with Jabberwock mods

I have 1 batch 7 match a single PSU with 1 batch 8. Hence, Each PSU has a batch 7 and 8 connected to each other, and that's it. In other words, each batch 7 is connected to a completely separate PSU, yet all three of them have issues with chain 1 and 3.... each one.

Can any of you guys help me figure this out? Since it happened to all three (and the batch 8's connected to the PSU are running perfectly), what could be the problem? What are the odds that all three are having the same exact issue, on the same exact chain, while the other batch 8 units are running perfectly?
-droid-
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 03:36:58 AM

Screenshots would help
OregonMines.com

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

OregonMines Official Account

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2016, 03:43:58 AM

Hi folks,

I'm having a really bizarre situation happen with my 3 Antminer S7 Batch 7 units. This morning all three of them were blinking and beeping, but then they started working again with no problem. Just for good measure, I unplugged them and plugged them back in about an hour later.

7 hours later, I check on them and discover that all 3 units are having problems with Chain 1 and 3.

Before you blame the PSU, let me tell you my setup:

3 S7 Batch 7
3 S7 batch 8

I have 1 batch 7 match a single PSU with 1 batch 8. Hence, Each PSU has a batch 7 and 8 connected to each other, and that's it. In other words, each batch 7 is connected to a completely separate PSU, yet all three of them have issues with chain 1 and 3.... each one.

Can any of you guys help me figure this out? Since it happened to all three (and the batch 8's connected to the PSU are running perfectly), what could be the problem? What are the odds that all three are having the same exact issue, on the same exact chain, while the other batch 8 units are running perfectly?
Batch 8 takes more power than Batch 7, if they aren't getting the right amount of power that might cause it.

Have you tested how much power your Batch 7's pull from the wall?

OregonMines - Co-located Hosting of Bitcoin and GPU miners. https://www.oregonmines.com - S9 @ $100 / mo, L3+ @ $70 / mo , 4U GPU units start @ $100 / mo in co-location fees. No setup fees. Limited space available today!
methodlimp (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 03:58:33 AM

How do I post pictures?

Also, it's not the power issue. I have a 100amp subpanel running 208v, and plenty of extra juice for more. The breakers didn't trip either.
generalt
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1021

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 04:33:48 AM

What kind of power supplies are you using?

BTC: 1GENERALrtBAjEv2Ps5cmEW1FADnXh1bCZ
methodlimp (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 04:42:46 AM

The batch 7 uses: 1278 W (at the wall, with APW3, 93% efficiency, 25C ambient temp)
The batch 8 uses: 1293W + 10% (at the wall, with APW3, 93% efficiency, 25C ambient temp)

I'm pretty sure the batch 7 numbers are off, but with these numbers we're at 2571W per PSU for a platinum rated PSU.

I've been running these miners since the middle of december with no problem... until now.
generalt
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1021

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 05:15:00 AM

The batch 7 uses: 1278 W (at the wall, with APW3, 93% efficiency, 25C ambient temp)
The batch 8 uses: 1293W + 10% (at the wall, with APW3, 93% efficiency, 25C ambient temp)

I'm pretty sure the batch 7 numbers are off, but with these numbers we're at 2571W per PSU for a platinum rated PSU.

I've been running these miners since the middle of december with no problem... until now.

Sorry I'm not sure how I missed that in the original post.  That's the same PSU that I use and should be providing plenty of power.  There were questions about the 2880 if they were indeed platinum or not whereas the 2980 is definitely platinum rated.  I've heard people say that they pushed the 2880 to over 3000 watts with no problems.  I've never done it myself.

To post pictures you have to uploads them to another hosted site like imgur or something similar and then link them here.  I don't think Newbies are allowed to post pictures into the message but you can post a link to the pictures.

I believe that the batch 7's were the ones rated at 5.05th.  I don't know if these's a new firmware for that, but as a last resort I would consider updating the firmware. 

BTC: 1GENERALrtBAjEv2Ps5cmEW1FADnXh1bCZ
OregonMines.com

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2016, 08:42:32 AM

The batch 8 uses: 1422W, 1293 + 129 (10%). Our results are a little higher than this.

Total watts used: 2700, if the numbers posted by Bitmain are correct.

Updating the firmware is always a good idea, read the change logs and see what others have experienced first. But will the B7's work on their own not alongside the B8's?

OregonMines - Co-located Hosting of Bitcoin and GPU miners. https://www.oregonmines.com - S9 @ $100 / mo, L3+ @ $70 / mo , 4U GPU units start @ $100 / mo in co-location fees. No setup fees. Limited space available today!
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 09:13:21 PM

The batch 8 uses: 1422W, 1293 + 129 (10%). Our results are a little higher than this.

Updating the firmware is always a good idea, read the change logs and see what others have experienced first. But will the B7's work on their own not alongside the B8's?

My B8 use 1415W at the wall, so that sound like accurate to me. I don't know if all B8 are the same, some people say it varies, which i doubt.

Why would you recommend people to update the firmware when there is no feature difference? They risk putting the wrong one and bricking their controllers for nothing.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
methodlimp (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 10:39:39 PM

Ok, I think I've narrowed down the problem to the controller. I've tried changing out the PCIe cables, putting the miners on the cables on the right side, and nothing worked. Then my buddy tried plugging the batch 7 into the controller on one of the batch 8 miners, and then we were able to see all of the 3 boards show up (but it wouldn't hash).

The really unfortunate thing is that the batch 8 miners will not run more than 1 miner on the same controller like the batch 1-7 miners can. Hence, I'm stuck.

Tried updating the firmware today, to no avail.

Now I'm playing the waiting game on the RMA to have a response by bitmain. I submitted the ticket on friday, and still haven't heard back today yet.

Anyone else having the batch 7 controllers fry consecutively like this?
OregonMines.com

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2016, 10:44:22 PM

My B8 use 1415W at the wall, so that sound like accurate to me. I don't know if all B8 are the same, some people say it varies, which i doubt.

Why would you recommend people to update the firmware when there is no feature difference? They risk putting the wrong one and bricking their controllers for nothing.
read the change logs and see what others have experienced first

Ok, I think I've narrowed down the problem to the controller. I've tried changing out the PCIe cables, putting the miners on the cables on the right side, and nothing worked. Then my buddy tried plugging the batch 7 into the controller on one of the batch 8 miners, and then we were able to see all of the 3 boards show up (but it wouldn't hash).

The really unfortunate thing is that the batch 8 miners will not run more than 1 miner on the same controller like the batch 1-7 miners can. Hence, I'm stuck.

Tried updating the firmware today, to no avail.

Now I'm playing the waiting game on the RMA to have a response by bitmain. I submitted the ticket on friday, and still haven't heard back today yet.

Anyone else having the batch 7 controllers fry consecutively like this?
I'm sorry we don't have much experience with the batch 7's, so I can't say much about them. Our Batch 2 and 8,9's have all been working fine.

It may take a while to receive a reply from Bitmain, they are currently on Holiday.

methodlimp (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 10:45:09 PM

change logs? what do you mean?
OregonMines.com

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2016, 10:49:11 PM

change logs? what do you mean?
When new software is released there are usually notes that mention what was changed from the previous version.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: