Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:29:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Ubuntu for smartphones explode Bitcoin?  (Read 2887 times)
RodeoX (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 03:38:12 PM
Last edit: January 04, 2013, 03:53:03 PM by RodeoX

I just saw the announcement about Ubuntu 2013 for smartphones. It is epic and I'm pee-in-my-pants excited to get one! There is also a real Bitcoin connection here. We should make a push to keep as many bitcoin app options available in the repositories as we can. It would be easy and *secure to use BTC on a native Linux phone, and being open source it could expose many new people to the currency.

Announcement:
http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone

Phone features:  Shocked
(He talks about phone from 6:10 - 13:40)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cpWHJDLsqTU
What would a killer bittcoin app for Ubuntu phone have?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HDSolar

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2013, 03:51:27 PM

Nope

Get paid to be social and visit HypeWizard today!  www.hypewiz.com
AR-15 80% at www.uspatriotarmory.com
my Cryptanalys.is profile
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 03:59:40 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=134388.0
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 04:18:27 PM

Nope
Right. I see no reason why this would affect Bitcoin in any way. If the OP is thinking running a full node on a smartphone then think again. Many older desktop computers already have a hard time syncing from scratch.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 07:18:45 PM

i think this is very exciting as well.
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 08:32:55 PM

First ubuntu phone will be in 2014, so this sounds like hype. However it might be little easier to develop bitcoin apps for ubuntu platform, but I don't know if that is going to matter.

Jolla, the finnish mobile startup that plans to make premium phones, is also rumoured to be somewhat bitcoin-friendly. It is run by ex-nokia people.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 09:31:15 PM

Ubuntu for smartphones would have to explode first, and that's not too likely. Not this year anyway, although there are plans to get phones shipping with Ubuntu pre-installed in 2014. Even then, it'd have to be pretty compelling to make people want to switch from Android (and it's hard to see how they can possibly compete with the features and apps that Android has).

Not that I wouldn't consider an Ubuntu phone, I'm all for a bit of OS diversity. And thankfully, this particular round of the OS wars shouldn't suffer as badly from the problems of the previous such rounds, and all despite even more variety amongst the competitors.

Vires in numeris
furrycoat

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 11:25:49 PM

They have no connection to Bitcoin, just a phone calling itself a PC is all I see.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 03:41:05 AM

I see no reason why this would affect Bitcoin in any way.

Presuming the Ubuntu solution would be 100% open source, then I think it would have an impact. 

Right now, I don't feel comfortable that my Android device cannot be controlled to either monitor or manipulate my usage.  Does someone from my mobile provider (or Google) pushing the next Android update have the ability to inject a few lines of code to read the BitcoinSpinner key and upload it?   Maybe they already have it, how would we know?

With 100% open source, a rogue section of code like that would likely get caught somewhere.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Darkneo

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 07:28:43 AM

I don't feel it will be any different than android, there are so many options that android offers. I feel the services offered to the public will be the biggest help to attract new people.

Tips are always appreciated 1Gr1MZuqpSZJbApsgpMnHFhKHkXUdHqYRe
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 07:51:20 AM

I don't feel it will be any different than android, there are so many options that android offers.
It doesn't matter how many options does Android or any other OS offer. The only option that really matters is 100% open source software and 100% open source hardware! And every day more and more people understand that this is really the most important option. All the rest is just after it!
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 08:00:08 AM

Does someone from my mobile provider (or Google) pushing the next Android update have the ability to inject a few lines of code to read the BitcoinSpinner key and upload it?   Maybe they already have it, how would we know?
You are quite right unfortunately. Google have closed their JVM for Android. Every time you use a Java app on your Android phone you depend on Google's mercy!
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 11:32:32 AM

If you have a "stock" Android phone then the manufacturer can send you OS updates, one of which could theoretically pose as a security update and then steal your keys. Random apps you install off the market couldn't do that.

But - reality check - no major consumer electronics brand name is going to steal money off peoples phones. That just isn't a threat worth worrying about. Such a theft would be detected immediately, it would trash the reputation of the brand overnight and the money to be gained from it would be trivial.

At any rate, if you're paranoid enough to want to handle that attack, you can reflash your device to Cyanogen or some other alt build and verify all changes by hand, if you like.
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1068

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 11:54:59 AM

But - reality check - no major consumer electronics brand name is going to steal money off peoples phones. That just isn't a threat worth worrying about. Such a theft would be detected immediately, it would trash the reputation of the brand overnight and the money to be gained from it would be trivial.
I'm sorry, but your reality check just bounced. Two example scenarios where this could happen:

1) major brand does outsourcing deal with a non-brand where the value of the contract is set low because the sub-contractor relied on the non-traditional sources of income.

2) major brand does layoffs and the employes push an update with accidental-on-purpose exploit that facilitates this type of theft.

If the brand is really major you can count on no-expenses-spared PR campaign to cover up such missteps.

Those scenarios aren't theoretic, paranoid speculations. Those are things that did happen to e.g. Hewlett-Packard and probably many others.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 06:39:04 PM

If you have a "stock" Android phone then the manufacturer can send you OS updates,

I'm not too familiar with mobile network infrastructure.  So that is LG sending an OTA update for my Virgin Wireless branded-O/S to my mobile, and not my mobile network provider (Virgin Wireless)? 

Those are things that did happen to e.g. Hewlett-Packard and probably many others.

Yup.  This isn't a problem just for mobiles either.  This same risk occurs with any updates where the user doesn't have 100% control.  Microsoft, for instance, has sent Windows Updates that install regardless of the setting that enables automatic updates.

All that is needed is one bad egg with access to slip in a few lines of code to cause widespread misery.  And there are lots of bad eggs:

We recently dismissed 16 employees for accepting bribes
- http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Corporate-News/Safaricom-sacks-70-workers-over-theft-and-bribery-/-/539550/1500846/-/904lrp/-/index.html

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Darkneo

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 07:48:52 PM

If you have a "stock" Android phone then the manufacturer can send you OS updates, one of which could theoretically pose as a security update and then steal your keys. Random apps you install off the market couldn't do that.

At any rate, if you're paranoid enough to want to handle that attack, you can reflash your device to Cyanogen or some other alt build and verify all changes by hand, if you like.
Stock? What is this stock you speak of? I'm always rooted and reflashed the first chance I'm able to. I  can't handle all that bloatware.

Honestly, no carrier would let a phone be completely open sourced. They would be too concerned about security flaws, at least in the US, fortunately with a rooted phone and web sockets, you can use a lot of that to do just about anything you need from the app if you wanted to do something with bitcoin. I like the idea of being able to use bitcoin anywhere from a phone, but I'm not sure if it could take off.

Tips are always appreciated 1Gr1MZuqpSZJbApsgpMnHFhKHkXUdHqYRe
novusordo

Activity: 800
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 12:10:58 AM

Honestly, no carrier would let a phone be completely open sourced. They would be too concerned about security flaws, at least in the US, fortunately with a rooted phone and web sockets, you can use a lot of that to do just about anything you need from the app if you wanted to do something with bitcoin. I like the idea of being able to use bitcoin anywhere from a phone, but I'm not sure if it could take off.

The poor security in closed-source phone OSes is a double edged sword. Phones are exposed to hacks, but this also enables "rooting" and flashing custom firmwares, allowing us to do whatever we please with our devices.

█████
                        █████████████
                     █████████████
                 ██████████████        █████
              █████████████        ████████████
          ██████████████        █████████████
       █████████████        █████████████       ██████
       ██████████        ████████████           ██████
       ███████       █████████████       ███    ██████
       ███████    █████████████       ██████    ██████
       ████████████████████       ██████████    ██████
       █████████████████       █████████████    ██████
       █████████████       █████████████        ██████
       ██████████       █████████████           ██████
       ███████      ██████████████       ███    ██████
       ██████    █████████████       ███████    ██████
       ██████    ██████████       ██████████    ██████
       ██████    ██████        █████████████    ██████
       ██████    ███       █████████████        ██████
       ██████           █████████████       ██████████
       ██████       █████████████        █████████████
                 █████████████       █████████████
              ████████████        █████████████
                  ████         ████████████
                           █████████████
                         ███████████
                            █████
Ferrum Network • Interoperability Network for Financial Applications
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 12:48:08 AM

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.miracleas.bitcoin_spinner&hl=en

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2013, 06:31:48 AM

I had a Palm Pre that had a linux OS running on it. That was several years ago. How is another linux phone a big advance?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 08:54:06 AM

I just saw the title and I thought, "Will Ubuntu for smartphones make any difference to anyone?"

Unless HTC or Samsung pick it up- probably not for a long while. You'll need some miracle to get that mainstream.

more or less retired.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: