Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:11:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MoneyPak  (Read 6948 times)
ATC777 (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2013, 05:55:48 PM

If I understand correctly, MoneyPak payments are safe to accept and cannot be reversed?

I can't imagine how they could be reversible, but I just wanted to confirm this before I start selling BTC and accepting MP payments...

Thanks,

--ATC--

Epic Coinage -- Gold, Silver, Bitcoin, Exchange, Apparel, Electronics and more!

Check the official trade thread for full list of products and services!

Tips :: 13M9QLc5BDQe2iuB1N3Br58fYvJF5ixihT

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 06:18:10 PM

They can be reversed.  I have heard that if the person cancels the credit card transaction used to purchase the moneypak, then paypal will take away the value of the moneypak from your account.  I have also heard that some stores will even allow you to return a moneypak, but that is unverified.

All I know is, moneypaks might be a little bit safer than using paypal directly, but certainly not fool-proof, and certainly still something that people can abuse.
ATC777 (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2013, 06:34:43 PM

They can be reversed.  I have heard that if the person cancels the credit card transaction used to purchase the moneypak, then paypal will take away the value of the moneypak from your account.  I have also heard that some stores will even allow you to return a moneypak, but that is unverified.

All I know is, moneypaks might be a little bit safer than using paypal directly, but certainly not fool-proof, and certainly still something that people can abuse.

Hmmm... that is a bit disconcerting.  Undecided

I was under the impression you could only use cash to buy MoneyPak for some reason.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 06:37:09 PM

Everything can be reversed.
Cash can be reversed.
Bankwires can be reversed.
Bitcoins tx can be reversed.

Stop thinking in black or white; irreversible vs reversible, safe vs unsafe.

Start thinking about HOW HARD IS THIS TRANSACTION TO REVERSE.  MoneyPaks are relatively hard to reverse but it can be done especially when the person accepting is naive or sloppy.

Some locations allow you to buy a MP with a debit card. 
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 06:39:04 PM

Hmmm... that is a bit disconcerting.  Undecided

I was under the impression you could only use cash to buy MoneyPak for some reason.
Interesting... according to eHow, you are correct:  http://www.ehow.com/info_8501613_can-credit-card-buy-moneypak.html

And actually, I recently received a donation for my Minecraft community with someone who purchased a moneypak with their visa gift card (per my recommendation), then gave me the moneypak code.  So I agree with D&T that some places allow debit card/cash cards to purchase moneypaks.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2013, 11:02:32 PM

So always get a receipt+MP pic/scan, match the MP public code to the receipt, and ensure that it was purchased with cash. Reject if not cash-purchased.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 11:14:24 PM

So always get a receipt+MP pic/scan, match the MP public code to the receipt, and ensure that it was purchased with cash. Reject if not cash-purchased.
Seems like a fairly solid way to go about it...!  As long as no store can give the user a refund and cancel the moneypak, anyway!

EDIT:  I would also be wary of refund requests made here:  https://www.moneypak.com/RefundRequest.aspx

If they can prove they purchased the moneypak, and began a refund request after someone else had added those funds to their paypal account, would the service outright deny them the refund?  Or would they withdraw the funds from the paypal account and refund the original purchaser?
bitsource

Activity: 96

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 01:39:58 PM

Maybe I'm unfair, but anything to do with Paypal is very sketchy in my books. I am investing a lot of time trying to avoid any PP connection at all!!

32DgAoQRMAkqbaYhShLWQnFt4LWJhWe3Ba
zero3112

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 08:03:56 PM

Its just gotten to the point where I don't trust anything that touches paypal.

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 11:07:44 AM

Its just gotten to the point where I don't trust anything that touches paypal.
Wise words indeed.
gabbergabe

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2013, 09:23:56 AM

http://www.squidoo.com/fbi-moneypak-virus
marketersales

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 07:50:30 PM

You can only freeze the funds of the person who reedemt the MP. If he scammed you offcourse, always talking if you have a legit MP with receipt.
ATC777 (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 09:22:15 PM

Is Paypal the only way to redeem a MoneyPak? Or are there other ways?

ATC777 (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 10:20:34 PM

Looks like I can add a MP code to my Walmart Money card... cool!  Cool

TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 11:21:54 PM

https://www.moneypak.com/WhoAccepts.aspx

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Jakers

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 06:45:06 AM

I've personally taken about 10+ MoneyPaks, and the more you talk to the person the better idea you get of what their intentions are. Sometimes people are hard to read, but I haven't been scammed for 5 years, ever since I started using the internet for trading.  So what you should be thinking is how can you prove that the MoneyPak is paid with in cash, not if you're going to get scammed or not. When I do a trade, I automatically weigh their amount of reputation, with the amount of the trade, with the amount of chance that the payment can be charged back; then factor in possible changes-of-heart. It hasn't failed me for five years. I've probably traded close to $90,000 all together.

This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for
marketersales

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 10:51:19 AM

Nope, they are alot of sites.
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 07:30:29 AM

You cant use a credit or debit card has to be cash.
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 07:33:52 AM

Seems like a fairly solid way to go about it...!  As long as no store can give the user a refund and cancel the moneypak, anyway!

EDIT:  I would also be wary of refund requests made here:  https://www.moneypak.com/RefundRequest.aspx

If they can prove they purchased the moneypak, and began a refund request after someone else had added those funds to their paypal account, would the service outright deny them the refund?  Or would they withdraw the funds from the paypal account and refund the original purchaser?

Use your MoneyPak number only with businesses on our approved list. If anyone else asks for your MoneyPak number or information from your receipt, it’s probably a scam. Don’t give your MoneyPak number to pay for something you buy through the classifieds or to collect a prize or sweepstakes. Do not give away your receipt information to another party either. If you give your MoneyPak number or information about the purchase transaction to a criminal, Green Dot is not responsible for paying you back. Your MoneyPak is not a bank account. The funds are not insured against loss.

Please keep these 7 tips in mind when using MoneyPak. Green Dot is not responsible for the quality or non-receipt of any goods or services you buy using your MoneyPak.
https://www.moneypak.com/ProtectYourMoney.aspx

TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2013, 07:42:27 AM

You cant use a credit or debit card has to be cash.

You can.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: