Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:11:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur radio gear  (Read 4450 times)
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2013, 02:57:15 AM

While I'm not interested in any of your gear right now, I have to say that this thread reminded me how cool ham is, and now I'm going to get certified Smiley So thanks for that Tongue

awesome Smiley

"will only ship to an address of a licensed hamradio operator"

9_9

so? licenses (names / addresses) are public record and i do not see why anyone without the license would need a transmitter

Some of us put mail drops in our public record to avoid unwanted visits from criminals. Unfortunately mine can't accept packages, only First Class envelopes & postcards.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
camolist (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2013, 03:53:10 AM

Some of us put mail drops in our public record to avoid unwanted visits from criminals. Unfortunately mine can't accept packages, only First Class envelopes & postcards.

could always send a postcard to confirm then send the package to another address  Cheesy

was something i had not thought of before. it's just my personal preference to know who I'd be selling a radio to. many many places will sell without a second thought.

kuzetsa

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 12:30:12 AM

so? licenses (names / addresses) are public record and i do not see why anyone without the license would need a transmitter

Indeed... I tend to prefer using a mail drop because stolen packages / deliveries has happened more than once in the past 2 years at my address.

That would be awesome! I'll take you up on it.  Grin

Let me know the postage cost next time you're on IRC.

which ones do you want? i have two tech books and one general

"now you're talking!" 4th, and 5th additions (Technician level test)
general class license manual 4th edition

these are test books from 2000-2003 but really the only thing that has changed since then is the Morse code requirements being removed

for one book the absolute most for shipping would be $4.90 for flat rate priority

i need to wait till i have a way of weighing them but if they are under 13 ounces i can send first class for $3.28 if 13 ounces (minus about 15 cents for every ounce under 13)

edit:

tech 5th addition has been taken

other two are still available for cost of shipping to anyone who wants them

Basically, I thought about trying to find a local "ham in a day" class but I don't own a vehicle & there haven't been any within walking distance.

... I'd really like to get some study materials though, so if someone with radio experience and/or some books or other study materials could drop me a privmsg on freenode IRC, that'd be great
my IRC nick is kuzetsa there, same as on forums. (most bitcoin stuff seems to be on freenode, and I've been hanging out in ##hamradio too lately)
Bitware

Activity: 926
Merit: 1001

weaving spiders come not here

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 02:15:07 PM

LoL @ the elitist "I will only sell to a ham" for these old used products that anyone can buy without a ham license.
camolist (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2013, 04:46:14 PM

LoL @ the elitist "I will only sell to a ham" for these old used products that anyone can buy without a ham license.
elitist?

you need the license to use a radio in the US. I'm not going to support a non licensed person getting a radio

go buy from eBay or one of the dealers like hamradio.com they'll take your money and not think twice

already given a book away at the cost of shipping it to help someone get the ham license. guess that's elitist too right?

Bitware

Activity: 926
Merit: 1001

weaving spiders come not here

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 06:34:04 AM

elitist?

you need the license to use a radio in the US. I'm not going to support a non licensed person getting a radio

go buy from eBay or one of the dealers like hamradio.com they'll take your money and not think twice

already given a book away at the cost of shipping it to help someone get the ham license. guess that's elitist too right?

Incorrect... you only need a license to TRANSMIT, and only on certain frequencies, but if its an emergency and no other means of communication is present, then anyone may transmit. It's always been that way.

Of course you can sell to whom you want. Enjoy!
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2013, 09:05:49 AM

elitist?

I am interested in the book  I want to get my license, is it still available Camolist?

D

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
camolist (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2013, 06:22:56 AM

sorry for taking so long to get back. missed the responses in this thread

I am interested in the book  I want to get my license, is it still available Camolist?

D

have one of the tech books and a general book left

dug out the remaining tech book and realized the test questions section is torn out :/

questions are available online http://www.qrz.com/hamtest/ is one example or google to find others

rest of the book is intact. whoever had it before me must have torn that part out though

Incorrect... you only need a license to TRANSMIT, and only on certain frequencies, but if its an emergency and no other means of communication is present, then anyone may transmit. It's always been that way.

Of course you can sell to whom you want. Enjoy!

yeah. but it's just personal preference. just conscious not wanting the radio to go where it could potentially cause problems

Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 03:13:32 AM

sorry for taking so long to get back. missed the responses in this thread

I am interested in the book  I want to get my license, is it still available Camolist?

D

have one of the tech books and a general book left

dug out the remaining tech book and realized the test questions section is torn out :/

questions are available online http://www.qrz.com/hamtest/ is one example or google to find others

rest of the book is intact. whoever had it before me must have torn that part out though

What do you need from me?  I would like to start studying and take my test.

D

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2121

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 07:57:30 PM

Just to point out that books are good but there is a lot of good info available on the web including practice tests.

I'm taking my Technician exam on the 15th and I managed to pass the online tests with just what I already knew so it's pretty straightforward Cheesy

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 08:00:50 PM

While I'm not interested in any of your gear right now, I have to say that this thread reminded me how cool ham is, and now I'm going to get certified Smiley So thanks for that Tongue
Me 2 Garr. I may have to go for a no-code licenses this summer.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2121

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 08:30:06 PM

Pop on and run through a test exam here. You might be closer to it than you think.

http://www.eham.net/exams/

And this is a study guide based on the questions. It's lacking a lot of background but isn't a bad starting point IMO.

http://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/2010_Tech_Study_Guide.pdf

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: