Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:37:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gun freedom advocates - what weapons shouldn't be legally available?  (Read 10837 times)
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 07:47:58 PM

There's no such thing as a 100% safe anything, particularly nuclear bombs. However, not allowing anyone but large governments access seems unfair and dangerous. So I think keeping them from either no one or everyone is unreasonable, and a moderate solution is needed.

One good idea I saw before was to simply require full liability insurance for weapons. If your nuke goes off for whatever reason and kills innocents, you are required to pay restitution to their next of kin. That way we can buy mining nukes, but crazy idiots can't just collect them willy nilly. This policy would nicely scale down too, providing arms more cheaply to people who have taken a gun safety course. Regulations might reduce the risk of accident, but WHEN one happens without restitution it's still unjust.

This libility insurance requirement would have to go all the way down the supply chain as well. I'd imagine this could work in the context of either a state or anarchy. Thoughts?

What is the monetary dollar value of your life?  Mine is priceless and fuck you to anyone who wants to tell me otherwise.

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 07:53:04 PM

This liability insurance requirement would have to go all the way down the supply chain as well. I'd imagine this could work in the context of either a state or anarchy. Thoughts?

Well, "insurance requirement" wouldn't work too well in an anarchy, but requiring restitution and allowing insurance to pay it would, and have effectively the same result.

That's a very AnCap method of doing it.

PRIVATE CITIZENS SHOULD NOT HAVE ACCESS TO NUCLEAR WEAPONS [Full Stop]
You do know that, historically, governments have killed more people (some even with nukes!) than private citizens ever could have, don't you?

You're showing that you're operating out of fear, by your refusal to understand that mining companies are just groups of people, and hey, guess what, so are governments. Being hired or elected does not change that. They're still just people.

What is the monetary dollar value of your life?  Mine is priceless and fuck you to anyone who wants to tell me otherwise.

So, you don't have a life insurance policy?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 08:23:01 PM

As of this moment, I'd estimate about $10 million USD. That is to say, if my death would leave that much to my loved ones and favorite charities, their sadness would be outweighed by hundreds (maybe thousands) of lives saved. My wife would never work or go without health care again. There are things more important than me.

Do you drive to work? Do you sometimes go a long time without exercise, enough sleep, or a checkup with the doctor?
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 08:35:35 PM

As of this moment, I'd estimate about $10 million USD. That is to say, if my death would leave that much to my loved ones and favorite charities, their sadness would be outweighed by hundreds (maybe thousands) of lives saved. My wife would never work or go without health care again. There are things more important than me.

Do you drive to work? Do you sometimes go a long time without exercise, enough sleep, or a checkup with the doctor?

So if someone offered you 10 million, you'd do it? Off yourself, that is?
Explodicle

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 08:36:21 PM

This liability insurance requirement would have to go all the way down the supply chain as well. I'd imagine this could work in the context of either a state or anarchy. Thoughts?

Well, "insurance requirement" wouldn't work too well in an anarchy, but requiring restitution and allowing insurance to pay it would, and have effectively the same result.

How would AnCap deter jihadists from acquiring nukes? Or anyone else who would value the nuke more than their own lives? Restitution is capped at one's lifetime income.
Explodicle

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 08:41:04 PM

I'd like to say yes, but to be honest I'd think long and hard about that number if I got a serious offer.
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 08:42:19 PM

I'd like to say yes, but to be honest I'd think long and hard about that number if I got a serious offer.

Then maybe 10 million isn't the price of a life (yours, in this case).
Dalkore
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 08:43:13 PM

You're a discredited idiot to even entertain the offer.  How can we even seriously evaluate your opinion if you would even consider suicide for money.  

Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
myrkul

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 08:52:54 PM

How would AnCap deter jihadists from acquiring nukes? Or anyone else who would value the nuke more than their own lives?
"AnCap" doesn't, any more than "laws" do. Even today, it's down to individual responsibility. I'd think that manufacturers, held personally responsible for who they sell to, would be pretty discerning, yes?

Restitution is capped at one's lifetime income.
Indeed it is... but something is better than nothing.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Explodicle

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 09:02:13 PM

Then maybe 10 million isn't the price of a life (yours, in this case).
Maybe not, I just made a rough estimate. As the offer goes up, the chances of my accepting it approach 100%. So for $100 billion I would almost certainly do it, and $5 million almost certainly not. If it's the number itself that bothers you, and not the fact that there IS a number, then don't worry too much about it - I haven't calculated anything or thought too hard about the value.

You're a discredited idiot to even entertain the offer.  How can we even seriously evaluate your opinion if you would even consider suicide for money.  
I'm sorry my good sir, but I seem to have missed something you consider to be important. Why shouldn't I be willing to sacrifice myself to save others? Is it suicide that bothers you - would it be different if I worked in a hazardous environment or went on a one-way research mission to Mars?
Dalkore
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 09:11:38 PM

I'm sorry my good sir, but I seem to have missed something you consider to be important. Why shouldn't I be willing to sacrifice myself to save others? Is it suicide that bothers you - would it be different if I worked in a hazardous environment or went on a one-way research mission to Mars?

Yes, I have to say someone who would equate the value of their existence into money as someone I have serious issues if they are discussing public policy.   If that is your perspective on the value of something I feel is most precious, you may have other ideas that would have a core fundamental assumption that life does have a price and with that, make some choices easier.

Sidenote:  My statement contains no underlining political comments about a "certain" wedge issue that is used in politics in America.  After reading my comments, I didn't want you to think I was even hinting at that. 

Explodicle

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 09:21:33 PM

Yes, I have to say someone who would equate the value of their existence into money as someone I have serious issues if they are discussing public policy.   If that is your perspective on the value of something I feel is most precious, you may have other ideas that would have a core fundamental assumption that life does have a price and with that, make some choices easier.

What if I take the dollar value out of it? If I'm willing to die to save 100 people, does that also invalidate my opinion?

I apologize if this comes across as an ad hominem, but do you drive to work? To me that seems like much the same thing, but to a lesser extent; you're accepting several micromorts in exchange for money.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 09:24:33 PM

I say again, do you, or would you, have a life insurance policy?

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 09:28:31 PM

If you support Social Security and Medicare and the policies surrounding those programs (such as whether to raise the associated taxes or change how much they pay out), then you are supporting equating someone's existence into money.
Dalkore
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 09:46:45 PM

What if I take the dollar value out of it? If I'm willing to die to save 100 people, does that also invalidate my opinion?

I apologize if this comes across as an ad hominem, but do you drive to work? To me that seems like much the same thing, but to a lesser extent; you're accepting several micromorts in exchange for money.

That changes everything.   In a moment of crisis, I too would sacrifice myself for 100 people.  I would not on the other hand, go to be slaughter in exchange for 100 people in a per-planned act.

I actually am fortunately close enough to my work where that I do not need to drive.  Why?

Dalkore
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 09:48:08 PM
Last edit: January 08, 2013, 11:30:41 PM by Dalkore

Yes, I have to say someone who would equate the value of their existence into money as someone I have serious issues if they are discussing public policy.   If that is your perspective on the value of something I feel is most precious, you may have other ideas that would have a core fundamental assumption that life does have a price and with that, make some choices easier.

If you support Social Security and Medicare and the policies surrounding those programs (such as whether to raise the associated taxes or change how much they pay out), then you are supporting equating someone's existence into money.

I do not support those specific programs.  I would not on the other hand would be okay with letting elderly people die because of the lack of basic essentials either.

Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 09:57:31 PM

Darra in Pakistan produce 400 rifles and other weapons a day with nothing more than drill presses and hand tools.

2 years ago they got a law against producing RPG's as they messed up the neighbourhood to severly during street brawls.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 09:58:22 PM

You're not going to answer me, are you?

I know why, and I understand. Nobody likes admitting that they're a hypocrite.

ImNotHerb

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 10:24:40 PM

I draw the line at weapons of mass destruction - nukes, bunker-busters, etc, (you know, all those things that governments create and stockpile by the megaton). Basically any item whose use entails indiscriminately kill large swaths of people within a geographic area ("killing the righteous along with the wicked", as it were) is something that represents an aggressive threat against everyone. It is illegitimate to claim such a device is "defensive" when by it's very nature it ensures immense "collateral damage" for miles and miles.

But the government is nothing more than a big misinformation-based mafia. Take for example the terror attacks that are part and parcel to State Warfare - Dresden, Hiroshima, essentially any bombing campaign that was ever perpetrated. The lies and propaganda run so deep that the people don't even understand the madness inherent in the system.

This is the main reason I so hate the movie "Fail Safe", which has the President offering to nuke New York in order to make up for accidentally nuking Russia. What the movie should have had was the President offering himself and all of his warlord cabinet members up for execution, not murdering more millions (who happen to be unfortunate enough to live in a certain geographic area) in order to prove it was a mistake and he was "sorry". Would the filmmakers have even dared put forth such a statement? Of course not. /rant
myrkul

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 10:32:48 PM

I draw the line at weapons of mass destruction - nukes, bunker-busters, etc, (you know, all those things that governments create and stockpile by the megaton). Basically any item whose use entails indiscriminately kill large swaths of people within a geographic area ("killing the righteous along with the wicked", as it were) is something that represents an aggressive threat against everyone. It is illegitimate to claim such a device is "defensive" when by it's very nature it ensures immense "collateral damage" for miles and miles.

On earth, there's little to no reason for anyone to have a nuke, for exactly that reason. But, like all bombs, it has plenty of non-weapon uses, particularly in asteroid mining. It could be potentially useful in mining here on Earth, but the fallout and such really limits the possible utility.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: