Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:15:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Calculating air conditioning on GPU mining rigs, help needed.  (Read 15896 times)
sony87 (OP)

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 06:15:31 AM

Hello folks,

I need some info/help on calculating how much BTU i need to cool down my GPU rigs.
Lets take the following example:
1 rig , pooling 1200W (6gpu) - take as constant. Is it right to say that after it's pooling 1200W it returns in air 1200W of heating ? I was struggling to understand this and following basic logic i think it's reasonable.
1 air conditioner, providing 10000 BTU/hr or 2.930710387 kW of cooling power. Does it mean that with this cooling power i can keep 2 rigs at desire temperature and the air conditioner would not run constantly which will make him die very soon. 2x1.2KW - 2.93kW = 0.53kW free.

Please help me to understand what cooling narrowed to BTU/hr i need for let's say 10 rigs x 1200W = 12kW

"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2016, 06:28:10 AM

1200W power consumption = 1200W of heat added to the room in one way or another.
AC power ratings are a bit weird but pretty much what you've said. Its very hard to predict what temperature it will be able to hold but it would do what you're asking.

In bitcoin mining, you should avoid AC at all costs because it adds about 35% again to your power bill. The best solution is to exchange air to ambient, ie collecting and exhausting hot air to outside or open windows etc.

sony87 (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 06:33:52 AM

1200W power consumption = 1200W of heat added to the room in one way or another.
AC power ratings are a bit weird but pretty much what you've said. Its very hard to predict what temperature it will be able to hold but it would do what you're asking.

In bitcoin mining, you should avoid AC at all costs because it adds about 35% again to your power bill. The best solution is to exchange air to ambient, ie collecting and exhausting hot air to outside or open windows etc.

Totally agree about usage of AC but at the moment i can do it. What are you suggestions/setup/position of GPU rig to collect the hot air and remove it as fast as possible (like https://youtu.be/2rQ-YIDmsBc from Toom.IM) ?

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2016, 07:08:27 AM

Totally agree about usage of AC but at the moment i can do it. What are you suggestions/setup/position of GPU rig to collect the hot air and remove it as fast as possible (like https://youtu.be/2rQ-YIDmsBc from Toom.IM) ?

That's designed for a much, much greater capacity but the idea is the same. Collect hot air with some form of ducting connected to an extractor fan. Look at dryer ducting for some ideas, order about a trillion meters of tape and see what you can come up with.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 08:25:54 AM

At a 12 SEER/CEER, your air conditioning unit will use appx. 28% of the power of yout TOTAL mining gear (not just the GPUs, but the entire computer) to dissipate the heat generated.

I picked that figure as it's about the mininmum you can find for sale any more, at least in the US (I think it's a federal minimum efficiency standard or some such).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
sony87 (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 08:47:48 AM

At a 12 SEER/CEER, your air conditioning unit will use appx. 28% of the power of yout TOTAL mining gear (not just the GPUs, but the entire computer) to dissipate the heat generated.

I picked that figure as it's about the mininmum you can find for sale any more, at least in the US (I think it's a federal minimum efficiency standard or some such).

I didn't get that. Please elaborate.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2542

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 03:50:17 PM

Hello folks,

I need some info/help on calculating how much BTU i need to cool down my GPU rigs.
1 rig , pooling 1200W (6gpu) - take as constant. Is it right to say that after it's pooling 1200W it returns in air 1200W of heating ? I was struggling to understand this and following basic logic i think it's reasonable.
1 air conditioner, providing 10000 BTU/hr or 2.930710387 kW of cooling power. Does it mean that with this cooling power i can keep 2 rigs at desire temperature and the air conditioner would not run constantly which will make him die very soon. 2x1.2KW - 2.93kW = 0.53kW free.

Please help me to understand what cooling narrowed to BTU/hr i need for let's say 10 rigs x 1200W = 12kW

The math is:
   BTU/hr=Watts x 3.4129
   1 Tonne=12,000 BTU/hr

So for 12kw load you are producing 40954.8 BTU/hr or 3.4129 Tonne of heat to be moved.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
sony87 (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 04:14:02 PM

Hello folks,

The math is:
   BTU/hr=Watts x 3.4129
   1 Tonne=12,000 BTU/hr

So for 12kw load you are producing 40954.8 BTU/hr or 3.4129 Tonne of heat to be moved.

Thanks a lot for the info. This means that with AC with 32000 BTU/hr i will not be able to handle this if i don't find a way to "extract" the heat from the GPU and get a better advantage over this desired ~41k BTU, right ?

sabercatt

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 05:14:44 PM

just so your following. he just did the math at 12kw --> 12,000 watts. not 1.2kw --> 1,200 watts.
sony87 (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 07:50:18 PM

just so your following. he just did the math at 12kw --> 12,000 watts. not 1.2kw --> 1,200 watts.

yes i know that.... i have 2x12kw so it's relevant calculation. Now the point is how to remove some heat from the GPUs so i can use AC with 32k BTU i have in mind. Any suggestion for frame, gpu position and etc ?

VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 08:13:58 PM

yes i know that.... i have 2x12kw so it's relevant calculation. Now the point is how to remove some heat from the GPUs so i can use AC with 32k BTU i have in mind. Any suggestion for frame, gpu position and etc ?

You don't use AC, you slap a high CFM fan in a window, pulling all the air from inside to the outside. Even with free electricity, it would be silly to use AC, since you could instead use the available electricity to run more stuff.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 10:10:37 PM
Last edit: February 02, 2016, 02:07:48 AM by NotFuzzyWarm

I agree that blowing the heat outside along with a dedicated (and filtered) inlet from the outside is usually the best solution.

As for your situation, remember that normal AC unit ratings are based on keeping a room at a comfortable temp and having enough overhead for the AC unit to cycle on and off. If you allow the room to get up to say 85-90F (I do and my BTC miners are happy with it) use that as the temp setpoint and as long as you don't mind paying the electric bill for the AC compressor running non-stop then your 32kBTU system may be adequate especially in cooler climates/winter. Also, if you are working with a HVAC contractor on the cooling, mention the ability to have a higher air temp feeding the rigs. How high? That you have to test to find out what keeps rig temps at safe levels. That changes the cooling needed equation a lot.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2016, 02:15:30 AM
Last edit: February 03, 2016, 03:53:01 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

Another thought. GPU's as in video cards from AMD/nVidia ect? If so look into liquid cooling, there are all sorts of commercial cooling blocks out there for them. Coupled with the right pumps and you can just stick the radiators & fans outside easy peasy with just a small dia hole in the wall for tubing & power to the fans. A helluva lot cheaper than using A/C.

kotarius

Activity: 340

View Profile
February 02, 2016, 06:21:34 AM

I have run a 400 GPU farm with absolutely no A/C. If you need help, please contact me on skype (Kotarius). I can save you a lot of money.
EthereumPY

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 09:34:21 PM

I have run a 400 GPU farm with absolutely no A/C. If you need help, please contact me on skype (Kotarius). I can save you a lot of money.
does intake air volume must be 30% ~ 40% more than exhaust ?
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 08:41:01 PM

Air intake and exhaust vent capacities should be designed to be equal, or very close to it.
If you are using fans on the intake, a HAIR higher on the intake side will tend to cause a slight amount of positive pressure in the room which keeps dust/pollen/etc. infiltration to a minimum from anything that isn't specifically designed to be a vent.

This is how most "old school" data centers were designed, and the "new school" stuff like the Yahoo "chicken coop" design is even MORE of a "positive pressure" design.

Don't use fans for BOTH intake and exhaust though, that's a waste of power.
 Use fans on ONE side and size the venting for the other side to suit.

The only reason to use both an intake AND an exhaust fan is if you are dealing with a high "backpressure" situation, an air path with a VERY congested airflow path - like the inside of an S7 or S9 miner.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Wibs

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 06:43:59 AM

I'm quite curious how this is done and what climate you're in that no AC is used.  I live in the Midwest, United States and in the summer, the ambient temp will far exceed what you want a room full of computers to be at.

I'm having my HVAC company come over next week to consult on adding a supplemental AC/system to only cool the server room(s).  If I can do this with mostly moving air and a little cooling (in the hot summer days), that'd be ideal.  If I had to choose between shutting down the farm on those hot days and paying for electricity to cool it, that's an easy choice.

The "pressure" aspect is interesting, I'll definitely do some additional reading on that. 

Good stuff guys.
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 08:43:14 AM

Check what genesis mining have done and then you will learn how to do it properly.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 09:45:03 AM

Hey dogie

Long time no see Smiley or maybe i haven't been watching much into coins to much else were .....Ive been here but into this stuff more intense.
I Ignore a lot of the BS now.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 09:53:19 AM
Last edit: January 13, 2018, 10:16:34 AM by toptek

I'm quite curious how this is done and what climate you're in that no AC is used.  I live in the Midwest, United States and in the summer, the ambient temp will far exceed what you want a room full of computers to be at.

I'm having my HVAC company come over next week to consult on adding a supplemental AC/system to only cool the server room(s).  If I can do this with mostly moving air and a little cooling (in the hot summer days), that'd be ideal.  If I had to choose between shutting down the farm on those hot days and paying for electricity to cool it, that's an easy choice.

The "pressure" aspect is interesting, I'll definitely do some additional reading on that.  

Good stuff guys.

I'm in southeast USA an in the summer, i use fans over AC other then maybe AC to keep the house cool and us in it . The fans run 24/7 or when ever i mine, i don't always mine 24/7 can't stand it but love it, if that makes sense . You have to move that hot Air and AC alone just won't cut it . it's misleading to think that AC will some how cool everything with out moving that cool air over something hot to cool it . TO me AC was invented mostly for health and comfort in the Summer times but led to other uses over time .. an AC still can't replace a good cheap fan for fast instant cooling when it's needed the must..

You can run your farm and still keep it cool with fans over AC an use AC to keep your self cool in the same house ... but the Power bill is still gonna go up even with just normal AC use and no farm running.
With the farm running full force and AC, it's actually won't be that much more in cost if you do it right .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: